PDA

View Full Version : Question for you gun nuts

Filo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:28 AM
OK, so I am not one of the pro gun lobby. Neither am I anti gun. I have shot guns, I may own a gun or two, I have nothing against them really. However, I have noticed some of you on here are very, very pro gun. You think you MUST have a gun to defend your self and the government ABSOLUTELY is trying to take it away. I tend to shy away from absolutes myself and think that unless you have a job that requires concealed carry (money transfer, repo, that sort of thing) that you don't NEED a gun with you at all times.

Case in point: who the hell needs to keep their gun with them when they mow their lawn? What, has C-springs become so ghetto that someone will jump you while you cut grass and you need to defend yourself with a gun? Moron.

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20671887/man-shot-after-dropping-gun-while-mowing?source=rss

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo.—A Colorado Springs man is recovering after he dropped his gun and it went off while he was mowing his lawn. Police say the man had a loaded handgun in his pocket on Sunday when it fell out, struck the sidewalk and discharged. The bullet hit the victim's lower leg.

Read more: Man shot after dropping gun while mowing - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20671887/man-shot-after-dropping-gun-while-mowing?source=rss#ixzz1vW4Y5kZa) http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_20671887/man-shot-after-dropping-gun-while-mowing?source=rss#ixzz1vW4Y5kZa
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:32 AM
many people put it on at the beginning of the day like underwear and take it off at the end. It's not about evaluating your activity to take it on and off several times a day.

Didn't read the specifics of your article, just answering the question in general.

Rhino
Mon May 21st, 2012, 08:57 AM
The short answer is "It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it".

Try watching the I.D. or Biography network sometimes. They had one this weekend where a male firefighter and female cop were starting to date. They were at his mother's house with his mother, aunt, female cousin, and her 2 kids.

He was walking her out to her car and she put her gun and bullet proof vest away. They're on the sidewalk in front of their house when they're accosted by 2 urban yutes with guns(if Obama had 2 sons, they'd look like these guys). As it played out, they terrorized the family. Made the cousin, just home from the hospital, carry this huge tv downstairs. It wouldn't be worth $50 at a pawn shop.

They got the family together and the cop figured they were all about to executed. She charged one guy and they started shooting. Cousin died, guy had bullet lodged in his throat at his spine, cop shot in chest 5 times. She ended up not being able to return to the force.

The whole time, the cop was just saying to herself "how do I get to my gun".

Filo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:11 AM
Try watching the I.D. or Biography network sometimes.

I don't watch TV. I don't find it adds anything to my life and it gives me a skewed view of reality. It goes way back to like 1999 when I was watching the news and they were going on breathlessly and panicky about this huge meningitis outbreak in Denver. Turns out it was 2 cases, unrelated, one bacterial one viral. I thought "what tosh" and changed the channel. It was COPS. I cancelled my cable subscription the next day and haven't had it since. TV exists to sell advertising. They tell stories that make you outraged or scared or anxious. I don't need that in my life, so I don't watch it. Sorry.

I am 43. I have lived in good and bad neighborhoods. I have been in riots. I have had a gun pointed at me twice in anger. I have been robbed once. I have never felt like having a gun at those times would have been a good thing. I try not to live in fear of what may be.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:27 AM
this thread is starting to sound like being baited into a gun debate....

Zach929rr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM
ITT liberal sneakily attempts to poorly bait conservatives into a gun debate.

Ghosty
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:36 AM
Mowing the lawn, lol. If that round hit a playing kid in the neighborhood and killed him/her, this guy would need to spend life in prison, I think.

IMHO if you have a CCW and you live in a neighborhood that is really that rough (ghetto Springs, haha), and you're that much of a paranoid yokel in the middle of the daytime in your neighborhood, then effing strap it in a holster, not your pocket, DUMBASS! Lemme guess, you have some loose shorts, bent over to change your grass bag, and plop, bang! Unfortunately these are the types that give the 2nd-Amend opposition more fuel.

P.S. I'm an NRA member, gun owner, pro guns but not a "gun nut", pro 2nd-Amend, BUT USE COMMON SENSE, AND PROPERLY & THOROUGHLY ENFORCE EXISTING LAWS. Don't create useless new ones (DC, Chicago, etc. handgun bans, etc.)

ITT liberal.
What's "ITT"?

Filo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:39 AM
this thread is starting to sound like being baited into a gun debate....

Nope, not by me, although I can see your point re-reading it. As I said, I have owned guns and may even currently own them (I tend not to advertise my gun status on public websites).

I just think it is ironic - the man presumable was worried for his safety, so he carries a gun which he shoots him self with. Who keeps a concealed carry in his pocket instead of in a holster? edit - it seems Ghosty beat me to the irony.

And Zach - I told you I am old - what is ITT? Also, I think you would have to lump me in with the Libertarians, not a liberal...

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:46 AM
and so the answer to the question is this (and as already said by Rhino);

Can't speak specifically for the guy in question as I don't know him. However, the idea is that if we could predict when and where crime would happen, we could call the cops ahead of time and wouldn't need guns right? Most people I know don't pick and chose what activity they will have their gun on them for. They put it on on the morning and take it off at night. The more you handle the firearm, the more opportunity there is for a negligent discharge.

Chances are, this guy did not say to himself, "I'm going to mow the lawn, where's my gun?" He just put it on and went about his daily business.

As for pocket carry, there are pocket holsters. Without more information, it wouldn't be appropriate to pass judgment on the man. Guns should not discharge from being dropped whether it's in a holster or not. So the issue could be a potential manufacturers defect.

Ghosty
Mon May 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM
Without more information, it wouldn't be appropriate to pass judgment on the man. Guns should not discharge from being dropped whether it's in a holster or not. So the issue could be a potential manufacturers defect.
Good points, both...

derekm
Mon May 21st, 2012, 10:42 AM
Its like car insurance... I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it...

TFOGGuys
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:00 AM
I clip a box knife into my pocket every morning, almost without thinking about it. If you do something consistently, you'll become more comfortable and competent with it. Same goes for a firearm. Soon, it becomes another tool that you take with you, much like a cell phone or pocket knife. You never take it for granted, or lose respect for its capabilities, but you definitely notice it missing when you don't have it for some reason. It may seem silly to carry around the house, but 100% of home invasions occur at home.

ETA: The guy in the article cited above was obviously carrying in an unsafe manner, either the gun was not designed to be carried with one in the chamber (many inexpensive .25s are like that), or the gun was defective in some way, as most weapons have a passive firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from contacting the cartridge unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. Notable exceptions would be older single action revolvers and pre Series 80 Colt 1911s.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:08 AM
What's "ITT"?

In This Thread

http://www.internetslang.com/ITT-meaning-definition.asp

Zanatos
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM
The moral of the story here is: If you're going to carry a gun while doing yard work - make sure you keep it in a proper holster - not loose in your pocket.

Didn't this dude learn anything when Plaxico Burress almost shot his dick off when he went to a club with a gun tucked int he waistband of his sweatpants?

Zach929rr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Also, I think you would have to lump me in with the Libertarians, not a liberal...

Sorry, I must have been mislead by your (purposeful?) choice of the phrase "gun nut".

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:25 AM
Sorry, I must have been mislead by your (purposeful?) choice of the phrase "gun nut".

shot and score

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30328&d=1193682725

Ghosty
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:42 AM
In This Thread
Thx. At first I was like, "ITT Technical Institute is mostly Liberals?" :D

Filo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:52 AM
shot and score

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=30328&d=1193682725

I played right defense. And I played for Edmonton. Other than that...

Filo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM

Back on point - man carries gun for personal safety; shoots self in leg mowing lawn - irony.

usmcab35
Mon May 21st, 2012, 11:58 AM
Yup underware elastic isnt a good holster at all. Like said above some carry everywhere out of habit personally ive been in the military for almost ten yrs and actually used my guns in combat, but never carry unless its a military thing like going to the range, never see anything in my daily life that needs a gun, my buddies all say better to have it on you if u need it then to not have it, but that can be said for everything, I dont carry an umbrella on me at all times in case it rains... But to each his own.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 12:02 PM
The moral of the story here is: If you're going to carry a gun while doing yard work - make sure you keep it in a proper holster - not loose in your pocket.

Didn't this dude learn anything when Plaxico Burress almost shot his dick off when he went to a club with a gun tucked int he waistband of his sweatpants?

Was there new information released stating it was loose in his pocket and not in a pocket holster?

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 12:05 PM
Back on point - man carries gun for personal safety; shoots self in leg mowing lawn - irony.

Man killed by airbag designed to save his life - irony

http://www.icarumba.com/cobrands/contentmodules/resourcecenter/articles/icar_resourcecenter_articles_airbaghazards.asp

spideyrdr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 12:34 PM
As far as I can tell, this is the only question that's being asked here:

Case in point: who the hell needs to keep their gun with them when they mow their lawn? What, has C-springs become so ghetto that someone will jump you while you cut grass and you need to defend yourself with a gun? Moron.

Why? Maybe you read about the guy in Missouri who was shot while jogging?

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/18/joggers-unexplained-slaying-stuns-missouri-city/?iref=allsearch

Or the story about the car crash at Fort Carson that turned into a gunfight?

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/article/3-injured-after-crash-shooting-at-Fort-Carson-3549764.php

Or the guy shot and killed near Park Meadows while he was walking home a few years back?

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_13744448

The guy who was shot by his own firearm wasn't being smart with his firearm. I don't think there is any debate there. But I don't think you can reasonably say there is any place that is free from the risk of violence.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 12:44 PM
The guy who was shot by his own firearm wasn't being smart with his firearm. I don't think there is any debate there. But I don't think you can reasonably say there is any place that is free from the risk of violence.

I think there is some debate as there has been no more than two paragraphs of information released on the incident. The assumption may not be far off from the truth but it's premature to condemn the man without more information.

Rhino
Mon May 21st, 2012, 12:52 PM
I don't watch TV.

Do you go to grocery stores? Guy walks in, buys a knife, goes to the entryway and stabs 2 random people. Stopped by a guy with a CCW.
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed-carry-permit-holder-stops-knife-attack/

Also, I think you would have to lump me in with the Libertarians, not a liberal...

Nice try, but no. You're on the "I've never felt the need for one so why should you" kick. A Libertarian doesn't care what you do as long as it doesn't hurt them or others in any way.

In the 6+ years of having my CCW, I've never needed it. Doesn't mean I didn't put on my G30 today.:usa:

puckstr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM
I clip a box knife into my pocket every morning, almost without thinking about it. If you do something consistently, you'll become more comfortable and competent with it. Same goes for a firearm. Soon, it becomes another tool that you take with you, much like a cell phone or pocket knife. You never take it for granted, or lose respect for its capabilities, but you definitely notice it missing when you don't have it for some reason. It may seem silly to carry around the house, but 100% of home invasions occur at home.

ETA: The guy in the article cited above was obviously carrying in an unsafe manner, either the gun was not designed to be carried with one in the chamber (many inexpensive .25s are like that), or the gun was defective in some way, as most weapons have a passive firing pin safety that prevents the firing pin from contacting the cartridge unless the trigger is pulled to the rear. Notable exceptions would be older single action revolvers and pre Series 80 Colt 1911s.

Agreed

Filo
Mon May 21st, 2012, 01:08 PM
For all who are accusing me of ... whatever. I don't care if you want to concealed carry. I don't want to stop you or take your guns. I realize the world is dangerous and it may come in handy. I don't feel the need to carry one, but if you do so be it. I just thought it was ironic he shot himself with his own gun. Just like the airbag story. Anything else you say about me and my political views (of which a small minority know - and no one in this thread) is just your opinion however misinformed it may be.

Oh and Rhino - go back and re-read slower. I said I don't feel the need to carry. I didn't say anything about you or anyone else in this thread carrying. I am libertarian - I don't care what you do as long as it doesn't affect me. Stop trying to lump me into something I am not to prove a counterpoint to a point that I didn't make. I actually even considered a CCW a few years back for my own reasons.

Ol'Skool
Mon May 21st, 2012, 01:18 PM
"Gun nuts" is generalizing like say... "sportsbike nuts" The majority of riders ride for the twist of the throttle, the comradery and therapeutic scenery. Very few riders go on the road with ill will towards others or themselves.
I am a family man with kids and we own many firearms and practice fundamental firearm safety. We are comfortable with that.
There will always be the nuckle heads in any group, gun,bike,4x4 whatever. Its up to God or darwin to weed them out.

Zach929rr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM
"Gun nuts" is generalizing like say... "sportsbike nuts"

I disagree since I believe that "gun nuts" in specific is now meant to carry a negative connotation versus all other types of nuts, including deez nuts, but that is just my opinion.

Not so much ironic the story is as opposed to showing the true value of people being properly educated in the use (and carry) of firearms. I'm sure any type of holster is a lot better than a pocket.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 02:33 PM
where has it been stated as fact that there was no holster involved?

you can carry in a pocket, in a holster. Certainly other factors, i.e. what gun etc.... but everyone continues to make assumptions without any facts.

example of pocket holster
http://www.stonerholsters.com/images/stoner/Split_Holster_1.jpg

Zach929rr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 02:37 PM
You are right, I am making assumptions, but I believe they are reasonable ones. If the weapon fell out of his pocket, then I have to assume he had it in a shallow loose-fitting pocket like pajamas.

I don't see that pistol falling out of the back pocket in those pictures even if the guy is bending over or doing any other yard work motions.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon May 21st, 2012, 02:48 PM
as long as we're making assumptions, I find it more likely that the guy pulled a Plexico and never dropped the gun at all.

Zach929rr
Mon May 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Tried to shoot the wife and missed badly?

I`m Batman
Mon May 21st, 2012, 02:59 PM
Suzanna Hubb's story. If you haven't heard.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1u0Byq5Qis

Rhino
Mon May 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
For all who are accusing me of ... whatever. I don't care if you want to concealed carry. I don't want to stop you or take your guns. I realize the world is dangerous and it may come in handy. I don't feel the need to carry one, but if you do so be it. I just thought it was ironic he shot himself with his own gun. Just like the airbag story. Anything else you say about me and my political views (of which a small minority know - and no one in this thread) is just your opinion however misinformed it may be.

Oh and Rhino - go back and re-read slower. I said I don't feel the need to carry. I didn't say anything about you or anyone else in this thread carrying. I am libertarian - I don't care what you do as long as it doesn't affect me. Stop trying to lump me into something I am not to prove a counterpoint to a point that I didn't make. I actually even considered a CCW a few years back for my own reasons.

You started off with a loaded question and grouped the "gun nuts" of the board in your first post. You questioned why anyone would need a gun in their front yard and were given examples of the sick fucks in this world that exist only to do bad things when you least expect it.

I wasn't labeling you as anything, as there's a large spectrum of titles, I was more sharing my differing opinion on what you labeled yourself as.

I tend to shy away from absolutes myself and think that unless you have a job that requires concealed carry (money transfer, repo, that sort of thing) that you don't NEED a gun with you at all times.

How is the guy mowing his lawn with a gun hurting you? Yeah, this guy was dumb and the gun went off, but it only hurt him.

Anyway, this being the ol' internet and all; Not gonna change your mind, you won't change mine. Maybe just work on your delivery a lil bit.