PDA

View Full Version : Question- Do you ride with Earplugs?

Rare Air
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
I have done long rides with and without...what does CSC riders prefer?

tecknojoe
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
If I remember, and I'm going somewhere that I'll reach highways speeds, then yes.

I don't want long term ear damage

Matty
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:42 AM
Sometimes....

bulldog
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:44 AM
Always! After reading what damage that "wind noise" can do it scared me too much to risk it. Plus I get less fatigued on rides

Rare Air
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Is there a certain brand that anyone recommends? I know some people are concerned about not being able to hear cars, horns, and such.

cdbouncer
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Always! I just use the orange ones you can buy in the hunting sections of stores...like Walmart.

I'm going to go to Boulder this year to get some awesome custom ones tho...

bulldog
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
Is there a certain brand that anyone recommends? I know some people are concerned about not being able to hear cars, horns, and such. I just use the cheap throw away kind because they get dirty pretty fast. I do tend to get the softest ones because those mold best for me. No issues hearing cars, horns, or anything at all.

Good article on the risks of Wind Noise aka;The Silent Killer
http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle.htm

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/motorcycle-graph.gif

http://www.hearingtestlabs.com/hearing-graph2.gif

~Barn~
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
Say again?

bulldog
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
If I remember, and I'm going somewhere that I'll reach highways speeds, then yes.

I don't want long term ear damage

[Quoted from Article]
But these helmets still produce wind noise readings of 110 to 116dB's, from 35mph to highway speeds. When reflecting back to the comparison chart, 116dB will only be suitable for 15 minutes of riding a day.

usmcab35
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 11:54 AM
i normally use ear buds on long trips but have used ear plugs too, im not to worried as the military has already done a number on my hearing... I have a set of the custom molded ones for my duties while on the aircraft at work, they are nice but sure they cost a few bucks if i had to pay for them.

Jmetz
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:04 PM
I wear ear plugs must of the time. I use the green ones usually available in the sleep aid section. I did a comparison to the ones I found in the hunting section and they actually rated better. I have a scala rider and I will say I can't hear it most of the time (which sucks) and I also can't hear when people try to talk to me before I take one out. I can hear most noise just fine, engine, honking, emergency vehicles, etc.

Matt
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM
I always wear ear protection. I have a pair of custom silicone ear plugs that work great. Someone from ear-inc was down at PPIR years ago and made them.

Wrider
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:18 PM
If I'll be on the interstate for more than 15 minutes I do.

FWIW the highest dB attenuation rating I've ever seen for foam disposable ear plugs is 29 dB from the orange store-brand Walgreens ones, until I hit Bass Pro a few weeks ago. They have some green plugs that are rated for 31 dB. Popped them in from Denver to the Springs and had much much less fatigue going on when I got home.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:27 PM
I don't use earplugs, I just put in my earbuds and crank up the tunes to drown out the wind noise! :)

Jmetz
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
If I'll be on the interstate for more than 15 minutes I do.

FWIW the highest dB attenuation rating I've ever seen for foam disposable ear plugs is 29 dB from the orange store-brand Walgreens ones, until I hit Bass Pro a few weeks ago. They have some green plugs that are rated for 31 dB. Popped them in from Denver to the Springs and had much much less fatigue going on when I got home.

I believe the green ones I use are also rated at 31db.

GuitarX
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Always. If you don't, you'll regret it later in life. Having been in loud rock bands for most of my adult life I'm very sensitive to hearing issues.

I also find that I ride much smoother and come back home much less stressed/tired thanks to the lower noise levels as well.

Ghosty
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM
After reading what damage that "wind noise" can do it scared me too much to risk it. Plus I get less fatigued on rides
+1. Not always, I need to get better about that. And yeah, the same yellow & orange ones I have for the shooting range.

asp_125
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
Most of the ones I can get at work are 31-32dB attenuation. I thought a few dBs didn't make a difference but I tried some of those wax ones rated for 20 something dB and I could tell the difference.

GuitarX
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Here's a place that has boatloads of different types of ear plugs, and you can buy them in bulk to make it cheaper. Just an FYI. Hopefully this link works:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/earplugs/hearing-protection/safety/ecatalog/N-b2d?Ndr=basedimid10071&cm_sp=Banner-_-Safety-_-Hearing+Protection&sst=subset

Ghost
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Always! After reading what damage that "wind noise" can do it scared me too much to risk it. Plus I get less fatigued on rides

I learned about that the hard way and now have diminished hearing as a result.

A bit late, but now I never ride without ear plugs.

I find the orange ones uncomfortable after about an hour. The HearOs ones you can get at shops are better but still hurt on any 6+ hr ride.

Someday I'd like custom, but not in the cards atm.

Plus, I tend to lose and drop them, so maybe the cheapness of the hearo ones makes them best.

asp_125
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 02:45 PM
+1, I've noticed diminished senstivity to certain frequencies (esp higher ones) compared to say a decade ago. I now wear earplugs even using the lawnmower and power saws.

Ghosty
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Here's a place that has boatloads of different types of ear plugs, and you can buy them in bulk to make it cheaper. Just an FYI. Hopefully this link works:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/earplugs/hearing-protection/safety/ecatalog/N-b2d?Ndr=basedimid10071&cm_sp=Banner-_-Safety-_-Hearing+Protection&sst=subset

Nice find, thx!

BC14
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
I got mine(http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-chameleon.php) from EAR Inc in Boulder a couple years ago. Custom fit, since I have odd shaped canals and the foamies or rubber ones really irritated the hell outta me, and gave me a splitting headache. I can wear the custom silicone ones I have for all day (12+ hours of riding) without any problems. Wish I had gotten them sooner than I did, but oh well.

Ghost
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 10:01 PM
I got mine(http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-chameleon.php) from EAR Inc in Boulder a couple years ago. Custom fit, since I have odd shaped canals and the foamies or rubber ones really irritated the hell outta me, and gave me a splitting headache. I can wear the custom silicone ones I have for all day (12+ hours of riding) without any problems. Wish I had gotten them sooner than I did, but oh well.

How much was the total with fitting + plugs?

BC14
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 10:08 PM
How much was the total with fitting + plugs?
Believe it was $110. Pricey, but WELL worth it. They are still in like new shape after, well, thousands of hours of wearing them. I got the "slim line" ones that they design for helmets. Can't even tell I'm wearing them unless you see them from the side. They let you keep the plug forms so that you can get others made(earphones, etc) in the future without needing to do the fitting again. Took about a week to get the silicone ones. They do the "instamold" right there on the spot for a little less money, but they don't hold up as well over time, I'm told. Their shop is right behind Avery brewing, so grab a pint after you're done there :p

Ghost
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
Believe it was $110. Pricey, but WELL worth it. They are still in like new shape after, well, thousands of hours of wearing them. I got the "slim line" ones that they design for helmets. Can't even tell I'm wearing them unless you see them from the side. They let you keep the plug forms so that you can get others made(earphones, etc) in the future without needing to do the fitting again. Took about a week to get the silicone ones. They do the "instamold" right there on the spot for a little less money, but they don't hold up as well over time, I'm told. There shop is right behind Avery brewing, so grab a pint after you're done there :p

I tend to ride 6+ hours, and my ears are #@$@% killing me after about an hour, and usually I have to stop after 2 just to take the damn things out for 20-30min.

I think I may just have to pony up the $$ in order to actually enjoy riding again.

Thanks for the info!

BC14
Wed May 23rd, 2012, 10:51 PM
I tend to ride 6+ hours, and my ears are #@$@% killing me after about an hour, and usually I have to stop after 2 just to take the damn things out for 20-30min.

I think I may just have to pony up the $$ in order to actually enjoy riding again.

Thanks for the info!
You're welcome, and enjoy pain free saving of your hearing. Believe me, once you go the custom route, you'll be kicking yourself for not doing it years ago. I know I was.

FZRguy
Thu May 24th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I always wear earplugs when riding, cutting the grass, concerts, shooting, anything LOUD. I just get the cheap Hearos foam plugs at Walgreens.

http://www.hearos.com/

bulldog
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:07 AM
I got mine(http://www.earinc.com/p1-nonelectronic-chameleon.php) from EAR Inc in Boulder a couple years ago. Custom fit, since I have odd shaped canals and the foamies or rubber ones really irritated the hell outta me, and gave me a splitting headache. I can wear the custom silicone ones I have for all day (12+ hours of riding) without any problems. Wish I had gotten them sooner than I did, but oh well. Nice, I am going to lok into getting a pair too. I assume they just go into your ear easily? That is my biggest issue with the cheap foams ones; they are a pain to get on correctly sometimes and would love some that are easy to put in.

salsashark
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Nice, I am going to lok into getting a pair too. I assume they just go into your ear easily? That is my biggest issue with the cheap foams ones; they are a pain to get on correctly sometimes and would love some that are easy to put in.

They're definitely worth it. I had a set made last year while at MotoGP. I have the ones with earbuds in them that work with bluetooth headsets.

They're comfortable enough to wear all day... I also use them on airplanes. Work better then any of the noise cancelling head phones I've tried.

bulldog
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:40 AM
They're definitely worth it. I had a set made last year while at MotoGP. I have the ones with earbuds in them that work with bluetooth headsets.

They're comfortable enough to wear all day... I also use them on airplanes. Work better then any of the noise cancelling head phones I've tried. They go in easily?

Tired of rolling up the foam ones and hoping it makes a good seal the first time

salsashark
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Easy? Well that's a matter of opinion.

They only go in one way and it takes a bit of practice, but once you get used to them then yes. The other nice thing is that once their seated, there's not movement or adjustment needed. I found that the foamies sometimes move when you put on your helmet. No movement with the silicon.

Sean
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Interstate and highways (above 70mph)- earplugs. Just the crappy foam ones.

Around town (mostly under 65)- nothing. I listen to my Sena SMH5 speakers in my helmet.

Ted
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Always! I just use the orange ones you can buy in the hunting sections of stores...like Walmart.

I'm going to go to Boulder this year to get some awesome custom ones tho...

Where in Boulder ?

I always wear ear plugs... I use the cheap 3M foam orange ones i get from Home Depot. I believe they are rated at 32dB. I don't reuse them because they are less effective after first use, at least in my experience. They work great for me around town. Use them in the canyons too, but i am looking for something better to use in the canyons .

BC14
Thu May 24th, 2012, 09:02 AM
They go in easily?

Tired of rolling up the foam ones and hoping it makes a good seal the first time
Basically rotate them into place and they seat/seal. The guys at the shop give you pointers on getting them in.

Jmetz
Thu May 24th, 2012, 09:24 AM
Wonder if we could get a group discount..

bulldog
Thu May 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Wonder if we could get a group discount.. I'd be in for that!

cdbouncer
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I'd be in for the discount!!!

Ghosty
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:15 AM
+1, I'm already deaf as a 90yr old geezer from two decades of concerts and headphones, no need to make it worse.

Ghost
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:17 AM

I'd join in, I'm thinking the comfort alone would be worth it.

And I like the idea of taking off my helmet and not finding at least one ear plug on the ground every time.

Jmetz
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I sent them an email, we'll see if they are up for it.

Ghost
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:36 AM

Sweet.

bulldog
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
I sent them an email, we'll see if they are up for it. Thanks Josh. Keep me posted :)

aerofaze
Thu May 24th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I never considered using earplugs until after my first longer roadtrip 2.5 years ago, which was about 5 hrs in one day. After that experience, I bought a large box of the soft disposable plugs by 3M from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/buy/tools-hardware-safety-security-personal-hearing-protection/3m-tekk-protection-ultra-soft-disposable-earplugs-80-pack-196456.html) (same as Ted (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showpost.php?p=673678&postcount=34) above - $15 for an 80-pack).

Now, if I know I'll be riding for at least an hour, I use them. They've never bothered me and work well.

HOTCARCASS
Thu May 24th, 2012, 01:59 PM
On the track I used them. Just the crappy cheap ones. I would really get a kick out of a custom set with ear buds in them. I suppose loud music through the buds is probably worse then wind or as bad. My hearing is really damaged from Marshall Stacks and Guns Oh yeah wind. Saying "what" to everybody after they say something is a drag! So to you younger guys take care of the ear holes.

BC14
Thu May 24th, 2012, 03:38 PM
The monitor style custom ones are great since they block out all the noise, and then you have to use very little volume to hear the music.

BC14
Thu May 24th, 2012, 03:39 PM
I'd be interested in getting a set of the earphone ones, so hopefully they can do a group buy dealio.

Jmetz
Thu May 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Negotiations have begun. Hopefully we can get something locked down.

salsashark
Thu May 24th, 2012, 03:53 PM
The monitor style custom ones are great since they block out all the noise, and then you have to use very little volume to hear the music.

:yes:

asp_125
Thu May 24th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Anyone heard of BigEar inc? A rider at work had a set made up from their local CO distributer. http://www.bigearinc.com/index.php?option=com_contact&view=category&id=26&Itemid=148

CaptGoodvibes
Thu May 24th, 2012, 04:46 PM
Yes. 99.9999% of the time. I have the cheap, roll between your fingers kind. I'll gladly play 'catch up' to a group ride so I can deal with my ear plugs at the parking lot.

Jmetz
Thu May 24th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I like how every link takes me to their contact page.

asp_125
Thu May 24th, 2012, 04:49 PM
I like how every link takes me to their contact page.

Website fail.

FZRguy
Thu May 24th, 2012, 08:49 PM
There's actually a right and wrong way to put the foam plugs in your ear. You know to roll them, then take your oppisite hand and grab the top of your ear, pull up and back as you insert the plug with the other hand. It will seat much better using this technique.

Wrider
Thu May 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM
There's actually a right and wrong way to put the foam plugs in your ear. You know to roll them, then take your oppisite hand and grab the top of your ear, pull up and back as you insert the plug with the other hand. It will seat much better using this technique.

Agreed, although for me that doesn't work well. I tend to roll them until you can't roll them any more, then push them in from the back of the ear, slightly into the canal. They seat much better this way, and any other way it kills my ears after about 20 min.

Rocket01
Fri May 25th, 2012, 12:12 AM
I rode for a few years w/o ear plugs--that was dumb. I'm pretty sure that, and trance music, had something to do with premature hearing loss. I went to Laguna Seca for the 2010 GP race and picked up a pricey, but amazing, custom formed ear plug headphones. Now I can jam out and keep my hearing. http://www.fit-ear.com/products-page/motorcycle-stereo-plugs/single-driver1/

chasemr2
Fri May 25th, 2012, 06:51 AM
^ $425 :shock:

tecknojoe
Fri May 25th, 2012, 07:04 AM

Consider me in for this.

Salsa, are the headphone ones wireless or do you have coards dangling out of the helmet?

CaptGoodvibes
Fri May 25th, 2012, 07:53 AM

Here's the video that changed my mind about foam plugs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEObOaHp6Bg

G35CO
Fri May 25th, 2012, 08:07 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEObOaHp6Bg
Great video

bulldog
Fri May 25th, 2012, 08:22 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEObOaHp6Bg Yup, good video.

Although already knew all that and was hoping to get some new tips. Ok, this may br gross, but if you really can't get the foam earplug in correctly with the above video tips lick the earplug right before you insert it and it slides in easier (or if you have some water available wet your fingers after rolling earplug. Would only recommend doing this on a new earplug unless you like the taste of earwax :D Kind of gross but it works; especially when you are in a hurry and the riding pack is leaving you.

G35CO
Fri May 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Anyone using helmet wind noise blocker?

Rare Air
Fri May 25th, 2012, 09:38 AM
After reading this thread I would like some custom ones but I have some gnarly cauliflower ear due to college wrestling. Afraid if i got custom ones that my ears might get worse since I am still in the wrestling room coaching.

Decisions, decisions.

salsashark
Fri May 25th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Consider me in for this.

Salsa, are the headphone ones wireless or do you have coards dangling out of the helmet?

Corded... Like the ones posted above, but I opted for the cheaper silicon ones... They were around 230'sh

As for the dangling. I just tuck the cord into the collar of my jacket. No fuss...

JDK1962
Fri May 25th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Count me in on the Earinc group order.

YrDaDy
Fri May 25th, 2012, 03:36 PM
If I'm going on a decent ride, I just put my Sony Earbuds (headphones) in my ears.. they fit well and I can listen to music without much noise.

Bought them for around $50 a few years back from RadioShack.

tecknojoe
Fri May 25th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Corded... Like the ones posted above, but I opted for the cheaper silicon ones... They were around 230'sh

As for the dangling. I just tuck the cord into the collar of my jacket. No fuss...

I'll stick with the regular ones then

BHeth
Sat May 26th, 2012, 05:53 AM
Always wear them. Only time I don't is if I have been diagnosing/working on a bike and need to hear the little noises.

I really like the blue Hearos from Walgreens. Super soft and work great. They are a bit bigger in circumference than the orange and purple ones I have from Home Depot and fit my ears better. I can reuse them several times before they start to go off.

The absolute best OTC I have used are the moldable ones from http://earplugsonline.com/. They mold into the ear, seem to last forever, and are very comfortable. These take a little longer to put in, so I usually only use them for long rides. If I am canyon riding and taking lots of smoke breaks, I just stuff in the regular type plugs.

ATL
Sat May 26th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Depending on price, I could be interested on a Group buy for some really nice ear protection. I'm also around Boulder many times a week.

-Chris

VryfastRR
Tue May 29th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Interested in the group buy. Any word on that?

Jmetz
Tue May 29th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Still in the works. The gentleman I've been working with said he was gonna be out this week but would relay to his partner. I sent him an email this morning to get an update. Waiting to hear back.

Ghosty
Tue May 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Been using the Hearos lately, a Godsend. I can't even stand to ride without plugs nowadays. My Icon helmet is getting a nasty high-pitched whistling noise at highway speeds, it's painful!

Jmetz
Tue May 29th, 2012, 01:19 PM
So far I have interest from.

Bulldog
CD Bouncer
Ghosty
Ghost
BC14
TecknoJoe
JDK1962
ATL
VeryfastRR
Jmetz

Ghosty
Tue May 29th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Yep, I'm in. Need to see the costs on the regular ones vs. the ones that are also music headphone/earbuds.

asp_125
Tue May 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Any idea what NRR these will be? 33dB? >33?

bulldog
Tue May 29th, 2012, 02:19 PM
Yep, I'm in. Need to see the costs on the regular ones vs. the ones that are also music headphone/earbuds. Yeah I would be interested in that too

Wrider
Tue May 29th, 2012, 03:14 PM
Depends on prices and NRR rating but I'm a tender "in".

asp_125
Tue May 29th, 2012, 03:59 PM
Depends on prices and NRR rating but I'm a tender "in".

+1 tentative "in" .. just the tip.

Jmetz
Tue May 29th, 2012, 04:01 PM
I'll find out.

sweck
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:34 PM
So far I have interest from.

Bulldog
CD Bouncer
Ghosty
Ghost
BC14
TecknoJoe
JDK1962
ATL
VeryfastRR
Jmetz

tentative "in". curious on pricing.

G35CO
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Yep, I'm in. Need to see the costs on the regular ones vs. the ones that are also music headphone/earbuds.
+1

cdbouncer
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Any new news on this??

The guy I was talking to at Ear, Inc said the custom ones take about 10 days to 2 weeks to get....summer is here and my cheapo orange plugs suck!

:multi:

Ghosty
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
One downside to using ear protection. I'm so much happier "cruising" at 80-90mph on the highway, vs. with no earplugs. With no plugs the windnoise is so high, it's almost painful. With plugs, even going 100+ is just like a walk in the park, smooth gentle "flying" down the road, it's very Zen-like.

So yes, I'm blaming my next big speeding ticket on earplugs, lol!

Ghost
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Yep, still interested

Jmetz
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Still waiting to hear back. The guy said he'd be back in the office Wednesday.

Ghost
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Still waiting to hear back. The guy said he'd be back in the office Wednesday.

No worries, my phone didn't want to copy the quote, but I was just trying to respond to your interest list.

Zanatos
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 06:33 PM
I'm interested too, but it all depends on the price.

LivingPools
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Blue foamy hearos do the trick for me, but my wife could really use a custom pair, so +1 for me on a group buy!

Jmetz
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Alright ladies and gents, here's the deal. After going back and forth with Andrew (the main rep) and making it clear from the get go we were looking for a group discount, he dropped it in the lap of an independent rep. He did not give her full disclosure and let her know that we were looking for the discount. So when I talked with her (she is very nice and helpful btw) I made her aware and she talked with Andrew. Andrew told her that they don't really do discounts. So on her own accord she will offer the CSC a standing $10 discount. I apologized to her for having it dropped in her lap the way it was. I don't think that was too cool.

So that's where it's at. Here is her info, she is very nice and actually works out of her husbands motorcycle shop. It's mostly Harleys but hey.. :)

$10 CSC DISCOUNT (you must mention you're CSC)
Traci Morin
Hear No Evil Custom Earplug Company
Longmont CO
303-648-4081 ext 101
www.hearnoevilearplugs.com

Edit: She will do 10% off if we get 25 in one sitting.

If you guys want I'll check with that other company that was posted.

BC14
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Thanks for doing the leg work Josh, but $10 is just not gonna help me out. I was hoping for 10-15% on the iPlugs, since those are pretty darn pricey as it stands.

Jmetz
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Yeah I let her know that most of us were probably looking for a more substantial discount.

I can look into the other company if there's interest.

Jmetz
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Update:

She will do 10% if we get at least 25 people in one sitting.

cdbouncer
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM
If you need me for the 25 I'm in...need to know by June 20 tho. I'm going to get a pair after that on my own ;)

Jmetz
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Official group buy thread.

http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=677201#post677201