PDA

View Full Version : Race Videos

Buddau
Wed Jul 27th, 2005, 10:57 PM
I have a Dell computer. It came with Roxio video editing software. I loved the softwware, but some how it stopped working. I called Dell. They sucked at customer service and pissed me off.
Angry, I bought a different video software. I got Ulead Movie Factory. It's great to make videos for DVD players, but I want to have flexibility to make videos for a number of applications.
Any one make videos of track/race days? What software do you use/ recomend?
I use a Canon ZR45 digital video camera.

asp_125
Wed Jul 27th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I had a Canon ZR25, now a Sony DCR-HC30. I also use a lipstick cam (Helmetcamera.com) and Ulead Video Studio/DVD Movie Factory 2. I also have a Dell with bundled products from ArcSoft and Roxio. For me it's ok for DVD, SVCD mpeg, and streaming web video. If you have the bucks spring for Adobe Premier but I hear it's pretty complicated to use.

JT_42
Thu Jul 28th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Hey Rich....

I have Strata Video Shop if you have a Mac. Never used, if you want to try it out. The graphic designers I worked for loved it.
If you look at zdnet.com there might be a program that you can "borrow" for a little while. They have a lot free downloads.

And your tail should be done around 7:30 -8. If you want to stop by.

James

The GECCO
Thu Jul 28th, 2005, 08:41 AM
I used Studio 7 to produce a 45 minute stunt video a few years back and really liked it.

Boy Scout
Thu Jul 28th, 2005, 10:32 AM
I started off using Windows Movie Maker (included with Windows XP). It worked fine for basic video editing, but I starting running into issues with it when I tried to do more sophisticated editing. It also has somewhat limited output capabilities (WMV, AVI, Tape). It does not include DVD authoring capabilities either -- for that you have to use another product such as Nero.

I'm now using Sony Vegas + DVD. I've had it about a month now and have created a video DVD from start to finish using it. While it is a far more sophisticated product than Movie Maker and also has the ability to author DVDs, that sophistication comes with a learning curve that I'm working through in my spare time. So far I like it and don't think I'll be outgrowing its capabilities any time soon.

There are several versions available on the Sony Website (http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/vegasfamily.asp). I believe they all have free 30-day trial versions, although at least some of them are limited versions (e.g., you can't export to MPEG2 format as that involves third-party licensing issues, etc.).

asp_125
Thu Jul 28th, 2005, 10:51 AM
Anyone use a software that has the ability to take a sequence taped at normal speed and show slow motion?
That's one feature I miss about the basic DV editing packages.

Boy Scout
Thu Jul 28th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Anyone use a software that has the ability to take a sequence taped at normal speed and show slow motion?
That's one feature I miss about the basic DV editing packages.MovieMaker can do half-speed and double-speed easily. You can create fake slow-motion for short sequences by taking frames from the video and making them still shots in sequence. You can then adjust the amount of time each frame is displayed. It's cumbersome, but it does work.

Vegas allows you to adjust the speed of the clip from +300% to -100% (i.e. 3x forward to 1x in reverse).