PDA

View Full Version : I Want to rent an RV to take to Canada

tecknojoe
Mon May 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
We are looking to rent an RV for 3 people (comfortably) to take to Whistler for some downhilling this summer.

One issue: Any 'pay by the mile' is going to crush us because it's a lot of miles

1) What good places in denver rent RVs for good prices?

2) What are the logistics of crossing the border in a rented RV?

3) Do RVs reach a certain size to where you need a certain licence to drive one?

Zanatos
Mon May 28th, 2012, 09:30 PM
My sister and her friends rented an RV from these guys and drove to Yosemite a couple years ago: http://www.bb-rv.com/rentals.html

I recommend giving them a call.

Moose73
Mon May 28th, 2012, 09:36 PM
There's a rv rental place on 90th and federal.
I think it's called RV Rents?

Wrider
Tue May 29th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Can't help you on the first 2, but I know if the RV has air brakes it requires an air brake endorsement. Usually those are only Class A motorhomes though (the bus lookalikes).
For 3 people comfortably, look into a Class C. Those are the ones that have the van/truck front end with the RV tacked onto the back. They drive decently and will fit 3 people comfortably. Summer I turned 16 we rented one up in Alaska and drove around for 2 weeks. It was comfortable for a 14 year old girl, a 16 year old guy, and Mom for those 2 weeks.

ndnbennyb
Tue May 29th, 2012, 04:25 AM
I'm not much of an RV guy but the times I drove from here to Alaska, I've seen many "Cruise America" RV's. They have a location in Denver. They're like uhual and go off of mileage and charge an estimated mileage at the initial renting. It's $0.32 a mile. So 2000 miles would be around $640 plus the price to rent. Not sure if this helps.

tecknojoe
Tue May 29th, 2012, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the reccomendations. I think we are looking at Class C for sure. something roomy and comfortable.

Looks like that milage is gonna hurt us. 3k total

mxer
Tue May 29th, 2012, 07:19 AM
Don't forget you get about 5 mpg. You could fly and stay in some nice hotels for those prices!

I don't know where you live but there are two parked on Indiana and around 65th that have for rent signs. One is ginormous the other is a regular RV. I'm not sure if a private rent would be cheaper.

50sGrl
Tue May 29th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Frontier flies to Bellingham, Washington now, just south of the border, for a reasonable price. You could fly there, rent a vehicle and zip up the coast for probably substantially less $$ than renting a motorhome, not to mention less drive time (more play time).

tecknojoe
Tue May 29th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Frontier flies to Bellingham, Washington now, just south of the border, for a reasonable price. You could fly there, rent a vehicle and zip up the coast for probably substantially less $$ than renting a motorhome, not to mention less drive time (more play time).

That's an interesting idea. We were considering the cost of gas too. But flying south of the border and getting something there would be a lot more feasable

I'll have to total up some costs of flying vs driving vs flying then driving

Maybe at that rate we might as well just book some nice hotels for a few days and fly out there. We'll have to ship some heavy downhill bikes (or carry on)

asp_125
Tue May 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
For what you pay in gas and RV rental charges, you could stay at the swanky Chateau Whistler and rent some nice DH bikes.

tecknojoe
Tue May 29th, 2012, 11:47 AM
For what you pay in gas and RV rental charges, you could stay at the swanky Chateau Whistler and rent some nice DH bikes.

we've got some demo II's and an SX that we're good with. Although it would be nice to destroy someone else's bike for a change :eyebrows:

Zviffer
Tue May 29th, 2012, 03:52 PM

+1 on this and rent bikes in Whistler. My Frontier flight from DIA<->BLI (booked three weeks in advance) was $205.60. You'll save four days of driving.

Some last minute hotel deals in Whistler: link (http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/reservations/mg_126/whistler-last-minute-hotel-deals.search). They don't mention the name of the property on this page until after you book, but if you google the description of the property you can pretty much figure out which ones they are and take the surprise element out of it.