PDA

View Full Version : The car that replaced my bike

Owen_R6
Mon May 28th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Whats up, everyone!!!

I still troll the boards but recently ended up selling my R6.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Owen_SVT/justfinished.jpg

I've wanted a 1990-1993 Mustang 5.0 for the last 10 years or so and finally pulled the trigger and bought one. I ended up selling my R6 April, 11th of this year. The day after, i drove my new 5.0 home. I had been looking for a couple weeks, nationwide, and finally found one. I was lucky enough to find it in Berthoud so the day after the bike was gone i had it in my garage.

I was looking for Red, White, or Black GT and ended up with a white 1991. The body was in "decent" shape but what hooked me was the 347 Stroker motor, full build (trickflow uppers/lowers, cam, heads, headers, exhaust, intake, tuner, etc), tremec 3550 tranny with ford racing clutch, and full grip box suspension. The list goes on and on and on so if wanted, i'll post the full list...everything has just over 7,600 miles on them (with receipts) and the body itself has about 125k on it.

Here are the two pics from the for sale ad:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Owen_SVT/driverpreview.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Owen_SVT/passengerpreview.jpg

Once i got it...i cleaned up the body with a quick hand buff and clay, washed it, repainted the door moldings, removed the tailpipes and put some turndowns on, new rims and tires (245 fronts and 315 rears), rolled the fenders, new "5.0" emblems, new calipers/pads/rotors up front, new calipers/rotors/pads in the rear, removed the side mirror blindespot things, removed the window quarter window sticker, repainted the black around the windows, and a couple things inside. I also cut off the antenna at the base so thats no longer sticking up (i think the exhaust sounds better than any radio station) but havent taken a pic since i did that.

Heres how she currently sits (cell phone pics):

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Owen_SVT/2012-05-27163853.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Owen_SVT/2012-05-27163950.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b394/Owen_SVT/2012-05-27163918.jpg

Next up: full dyno tune for motor and 150 shot, 2-3" cowl hood, black/chrome "ford" emblem overlays, nitrous pressure gauge/bottle heater/and purge kit, new quarter window trim, rebuff and polish with orbital buffer, and possibly some black bumper and side skirt overlays (not sure yet).

Not sure if anyone's into these but i've loved them and wanted one for a long long time.

Hoping to put down about 525 to the wheels with a 150 shot...

all opinions welcome!

Here was my R6 which i sold:

buddahson
Mon May 28th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Nice, but in my opinion you're crazy to have sold the 6. Bikes > cars any day.

Owen_R6
Mon May 28th, 2012, 10:30 PM

haha...i used to say the same thing.

I had that 6 for six years...was just time for a new toy. I'll get another bike for sure and it'll be a newer bike. Coming across a nice 5.0 doesnt happen very often, especially when i've wanted one for so long.

So far, zero regrets sellin the bike and pickin up the car...so far i've probably only put about 100 miles on it since owning it here.

thanks for the compliment, though :)

madvlad
Mon May 28th, 2012, 10:38 PM
I would've sold the jeep and the bike then get this, a cheap DD and a newer bike lol... looks clean man.

dirkterrell
Tue May 29th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Nice. I really liked my '91 GT and wish I could have kept it.

Owen_R6
Tue May 29th, 2012, 08:22 AM
I would've sold the jeep and the bike then get this, a cheap DD and a newer bike lol... looks clean man.

Haha, this could have been an option as well! Never really thought about it but i dont know if i could get rid of the jeep as well...love that thing.

Thanks! The GT is definitely fun to drive...cant wait to have more stuff "done" on it though

Nice. I really liked my '91 GT and wish I could have kept it.

Yeah, man...i love this car...i've wanted one a long time so finally having it in the garage is awesome.

Slo
Tue May 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Very nice!!!! I wouldn't mind having a mini-tubbed 91 LX Stang as a project street car.

Owen_R6
Tue May 29th, 2012, 09:44 AM
Very nice!!!! I wouldn't mind having a mini-tubbed 91 LX Stang as a project street car.

i vote you get one...theres a sick LX Notchback running 8's at Bandimere and is street legal...that thing is crazy fast.

I'm hoping to put down a 10.9 on the 150 shot and then 11.90-12 flat on motor (high hopes, but thats what dreams are for lol)

I wish i had mini tubs on my GT...would have made it easier to stuff these 315's on there! I do love the turndowns though so no regrets cutting the tailpipes off. There are a couple small places where the tires rub on my inner fenders but i'll see if i can figure something out.

grim
Tue May 29th, 2012, 10:01 AM
I respect the mustang but i am not a fan of the fox body style at all.

Owen_R6
Tue May 29th, 2012, 11:58 AM
I respect the mustang but i am not a fan of the fox body style at all.

yeah, man...you're not the only one. Most people hate them, especially when you get out of the "midwest"

they've just always been one of my favorites.

Lookin forward to TM in 2 weeks??? I think i'm ready but i'm sure i'll fall short in the running aspect haha

Sean
Tue May 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Silly, silly...car's don't replace bikes. They just offer an alternate form of transportation (hopefully temporarily).

Survivalism
Tue May 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Nice 5.0! My friend has a white one JUST like that, only mods he has put in so far is a full exhaust though.

I know their are a few people on here that love cars, you should update this thread as you build it. I wanted to do that for my eclipse but never got around to it.

grim
Tue May 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
yeah, man...you're not the only one. Most people hate them, especially when you get out of the "midwest"

they've just always been one of my favorites.

Lookin forward to TM in 2 weeks??? I think i'm ready but i'm sure i'll fall short in the running aspect haha

I don't think one can ever be fully ready for TM but i am as ready as i can possibly be.

Owen_R6
Tue May 29th, 2012, 01:58 PM
Silly, silly...car's don't replace bikes. They just offer an alternate form of transportation (hopefully temporarily).

Haha, nah...i'll be keeping the 5.0 for the next long long time. I also have a lifted wrangler which i use for my DD.

I plan on picking up another bike but not until next season at the earliest.

Nice 5.0! My friend has a white one JUST like that, only mods he has put in so far is a full exhaust though.

I know their are a few people on here that love cars, you should update this thread as you build it. I wanted to do that for my eclipse but never got around to it.

Theres not too much to build on it since all the stuff i would do to it has already been done. Just more looks than anything. I plan on picking up the new cowl hood in a couple months (stock latch, no hood pins) and a few things here and there...biggest things comin up are the dyno tune, cowl hood, and the new set of centerline rear rims with slicks.

I'll be sure to post more pics though! Love this car haha

I don't think one can ever be fully ready for TM but i am as ready as i can possibly be.

This is true lol...we'll see how it goes!

Did you get the email about the "toughest mudder" where its however many laps you can do within a 24 hour period??? Nuts...

Aaron
Tue May 29th, 2012, 09:28 PM
5.slow

Cornfed
Tue May 29th, 2012, 09:39 PM

:imwithstupid:

Owen_R6
Wed May 30th, 2012, 12:00 AM
5.slow

I dunno about that lol...shes definitely quick

I'm thinkin i'll run a 12 flat on motor and hoping for a 10.9 on spray...could be some high hopes but we'll see!

Gotta pick up a new set of centerline drag wheels for the rear and mount some slicks for the track.

Owen_R6
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Just figured i'd post back with how the dyno tune went...

Took it over to the tuner yesterday and got to work on it.

The plan was to do the motor tune first then do the nitrous tune so we set to work on the motor.

Motor ended up putting down 332hp and 354tq which i was happy with. My "goal" was 350hp and 375tq but i was hoping to hit 325hp and 350tq which i did :)

My a/f stayed completely flat on the target line so i couldnt be happier with that

Now onto the nitrous...

We got everything set up, got the base numbers put into the programmer, then turned the bottle on...apparently there was a small fray in the nitrous line where it rubbed on something so when the pressure built up...BOOM!!!!!! One of the loudest things i've ever heard haha. Scared the shit out of me.

We looked everywhere for another line so we could get the numbers and get the tune done but couldnt find another braided line so we ended up just rescheduling for next week. I got a new 16 foot line ordered last night so should have that all put back together by thursday next week.

With nitrous, i'm thinkin i'm going to run a 150 shot and hoping to hit 485hp and 525tq on spray. May just run a 100 shot though but going to bring both sets of pills and see which one she responds better with.

Cant wait! I'll post my graph's when i get the nitrous tune done...

Keyser Soze
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Coyote swap...

Owen_R6
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Coyote swap...

that was actually being discussed last night while we were tuning the current setup haha

Probably going to be my direction a little down the road...no funds at the moment!!

Another option i'm considering is to rip it down, do a new build with a new mmr block, and put a blower on it.

Samko
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 05:27 PM
hey its a souped up Tempo !

joking... I always wanted Blue 5 0

3point5
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
Not a huge fan of mustangs and of all the mustangs I think that body style is the worst, but that's just my opinion and you shouldnt let it hold you back from enjoying every second of the car. Huge congrats on the purchase though -

There is a guy out in Byers that is a hell of a mustang guy, extremely good work, sorta expensive and he has a back-log a mile long so expect to wait a little while... http://www.pperformance6.com/

and then Johnny at Finish Line Performance does dyno days the second friday of each month - 2 pulls for $40…and if no one is behind you in line he'll give you another one for free. Good guy and cool shop.
http://www.denverhorsepower.com/

Owen_R6
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Not a huge fan of mustangs and of all the mustangs I think that body style is the worst, but that's just my opinion and you shouldnt let it hold you back from enjoying every second of the car. Huge congrats on the purchase though -

There is a guy out in Byers that is a hell of a mustang guy, extremely good work, sorta expensive and he has a back-log a mile long so expect to wait a little while... http://www.pperformance6.com/

and then Johnny at Finish Line Performance does dyno days the second friday of each month - 2 pulls for $40…and if no one is behind you in line he'll give you another one for free. Good guy and cool shop.
http://www.denverhorsepower.com/

Definitely doesnt...i love the fox body and its one of my favorite cars of all time. I'm also from the midwest where you see a lot of these so that probably has something to do with it. I love this car.

Are you talking about Scott Patten from P&P Performance?
That's who tuned my car yesterday...and will be doing the nitrous tune on it next week once my line comes in. I've already paid for everything :)

derekm
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:45 AM
after 20 NOS fills & the initial cost you could have an entry level paxton or vortech.....

derekm
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:47 AM
and you will eat through juice... I kept mine on all the time... parker road can be a pain at 730 am :)

Owen_R6
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Well...i didnt pay for the kit so i'm good there haha
But i'm with ya, this isnt my first nitrous setup.

I plan on a blower eventually but am not gonna do an entry system. I've got plans for a new block and a procharger so that'll be about 6k right there. Going to run 11 or 14 psi and am wanting to be around the 600 rwhp mark. I may end up going with a 363 stroker down the line from dss as well instead of throwing the procharger on my 347.

This thing is more expensive than the bike, thats for sure lol

Owen_R6
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Coyote swap...

This is the route i'm looking to go...good friend of mine just bought this for his 93 2 weeks ago

http://www.dssracing.com/product_p/363x%20crate.htm

3point5
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Definitely doesnt...i love the fox body and its one of my favorite cars of all time. I'm also from the midwest where you see a lot of these so that probably has something to do with it. I love this car.

Are you talking about Scott Patten from P&P Performance?
That's who tuned my car yesterday...and will be doing the nitrous tune on it next week once my line comes in. I've already paid for everything :)

Yeah, Scotty - really cool guy, slow as hell and frustrating when he has your car but worth the wait and the cost. He did a engine swap/rebuild, fuel system, ignition, ecu, tuning along with re-gearing my supercharger on my 350z. Additionally - when talking to other car guys they know him and think highly of him too…

any other plans for the car? Gonna take it to bandimere at all?

Owen_R6
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Yeah, Scotty - really cool guy, slow as hell and frustrating when he has your car but worth the wait and the cost. He did a engine swap/rebuild, fuel system, ignition, ecu, tuning along with re-gearing my supercharger on my 350z. Additionally - when talking to other car guys they know him and think highly of him too…

any other plans for the car? Gonna take it to bandimere at all?

Holy shit haha, yeah he's definitely frustrating to work with...my original appointment was last week thursday (the 21st) and after 7 days of texting him with no response, he shot me a message the day before and said we had to reschedule...so, we set it for the 28th at noon. He shot me a message at 10 saying we're gonna have to push it back to 2 so i said ok. I got there late at 230 and he wasnt there yet. He finally showed up at 515 and we started working on my car at 6 lol.

Regardless, he's definitely a cool guy and he did great work with it so i'm happy.

I'll recommend him to anyone and i'm lookin forward to the 2nd part of my tune next week as soon as i reroute this new nitrous line.

Plans for the car...ugh lol..

I definitely have plans for the car but most of it is just looks at the moment (2.5" cervinis cowl hood, new quarter window trim, full buff/polish, repaint the door handles and mirrors, etc) because the performance will suffice for the next little while.

The future mods for this car will be to build the current motor with a new mmr block and procharger at 14psi (with the new supporting mods such as injectors, etc)...

or

going with the 363 stroker motor from DSS which i posted just above yours and putting a procharger on that...i'll of course be needing a new tranny as well.

But like i said, the big parts will have to wait...i love the car as is so just gonna make it pretty outside and drive it :)

got any pics of your Z?