PDA

View Full Version : Any Audi Fans out there

AOK303
Tue May 29th, 2012, 11:29 PM
Car shopping and have Narrowed it down to Bmw 335xi or Audi S4

Maybe a Rs4 or IS-F if i can grab a great deal on it
Sold my Daily driver and my rights to the track car

what are your thoughts would be getting a car no older then 5 years old and less then 80k is the goal

And no i dont want a Japanese car i have owned over 30 of them from
civic to 2jz supra to S15 converted 180sx to even a toyota camry.

Owen_R6
Tue May 29th, 2012, 11:58 PM
This is in no way going to answer your question but figured if you were an audi fan i'd link you to a friends S4...

Its definitely FAST...not very streetable anymore but damn fast...he got it from these guys about a year ago but they still have their specs and build blog up for it.

https://vastperformance.com/index.php/blog/

Wrider
Wed May 30th, 2012, 03:28 AM
Personal preference I'd say the S4. The problem with that is the maintenance on them if it's just a daily from what I've heard.
For peace of mind and a still pretty cool car, I say 335.

Drano
Wed May 30th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Personally, I love my 2004 A4. I posted my only gripe about it in another thread.

As far as maintenance goes, I bought mine in 2008 with around 40k miles. It now has over 80k and, so far, the only issue I've had was a leaky coolant reservoir.

You can find RS4s for sale, but you'll end up paying anywhere from $25,000 to $50,000 to buy one. An S4 should be easier to find. From 2003+ the S4 has a 4.2 liter V8. Years prior to that had a twin-turbocharged 2.7 liter V6. I can't speak for the maintenance on those types as I only have experience with my 1.8t.

IMO they're fantastic cars and I would have no qualms buying another when my A4 finally kicks the bucket.

GL and enjoy!

mdub
Wed May 30th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Fuck those euro trash. Get a Lexus .

madvlad
Wed May 30th, 2012, 06:34 AM
I no longer know you lol

mdub
Wed May 30th, 2012, 06:40 AM
I prefer a Lexus of all luxury brands.

Wrider
Wed May 30th, 2012, 07:06 AM
And no i dont want a Japanese car

Fuck those euro trash. Get a Lexus .

I prefer a Lexus of all luxury brands.

Thread != what mdub wants/prefers, therefore your opinion directly contradicting the requirements of the OP are completely and utterly irrelevant and useless.

Aaron
Wed May 30th, 2012, 07:20 AM
I'd count the IS-F out if I were you, I was pretty disappointed when I drove one for a week late last summer.

Between the other two, I'd definately pick the 335. First just because I'm a huge BMW fan, but there's a reason for that. I'm not going to describe every reason why, but I've driven most every car out there and always loved the BMWs. They just drive and feel unlike all the rest. Plus the 3.0 turbo gets great gas mileage, makes peak torque off idle, but is still fun as hell to drive and pulls hard. Not to mention its a tune and exhaust away from 400hp with no hit on gas mileage.

The only thing I dislike is the fucking door handles. They drive me insane. Why should you have to pull it twice to get out of the fucking car? I know it's a fantastic machine but there are times when I want to get out.

asp_125
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Beware the timing chain service at 80K on the 4.7L V8 S4, require pulling the motor. Kaaching!

birchyboy
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
Maybe a Rs4 or IS-F if i can grab a great deal on it
And no i dont want a Japanese car i have owned over 30 of them from
civic to 2jz supra to S15 converted 180sx to even a toyota camry.

Isn't the IS-F Japanese?

~Barn~
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:28 AM
:lol:

Yes. The IS-F is Japanese.

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:34 AM
yeah the v8 chain is a 3000$ service to even put on a muffler system you have to drop the rear sub frame!!, i know alot about every car i am looking at, all cars have there points and flaws was just seeing if anyone here actually own's one and has some input on them

Ive driven all the cars i am looking at would be my winter car only really so like 5k to 8k a year is all it would see, I am an enthusiast so i would do small mods but not looking to to do much on this car, i say that and watch ill end up building it to be faster then my bike

the IS-F was the only Jspec car i was interested in but the 2 i drove being rear wheel drive really does not match my needs.

Fumet5uNo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:59 AM
yeah the v8 chain is a 3000$ service to even put on a muffler system you have to drop the rear sub frame!!, i know alot about every car i am looking at, all cars have there points and flaws was just seeing if anyone here actually own's one and has some input on them

Ive driven all the cars i am looking at would be my winter car only really so like 5k to 8k a year is all it would see, I am an enthusiast so i would do small mods but not looking to to do much on this car, i say that and watch ill end up building it to be faster then my bike

the IS-F was the only Jspec car i was interested in but the 2 i drove being rear wheel drive really does not match my needs.

last s4 i had the maint was nothing really had a great time with it had the time chain checked at 80k and it only cost 450 for service the chain doesnt need to be replaced just tension checked i sold the car at 165k still running perfect, really up to style you like the beemers are great cars to had a few of them the main reason people think there money buckets is they dont take care of them!

im in the market right now but looking more at the a5 or a7 so yeah all push you more to the audi side over bmw

Penadam
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:08 AM
I would see if you can get the new S4 with the supercharged v6. Maybe not quite as thrilling as the old v8, but way better fuel economy, less front end weight, (optional) active rear diff, 40/60 center torque split and easier to get a power increases on the cheap (underdrive pulley or ecu). It's also has been winning the comparisons against the 335. That said, the BWM also has a lot of these advantages with regards to the tuning.

Mother Goose
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:15 AM
RS4 Avant? :drool:

http://www.bimmerboost.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6723&d=1303090832

Ghosty
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:22 AM
I use to have an old 1.8t A4, not my favorite car, but it was ok. Would rather have an AWD IS-250. Do you want a 4-door specifically? If not sedans only, how about the 2006+ Audi TTS? Very nice cars, and got some pep.

Don't know your budget, but S5 Coupes are badass!...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-1h3vuLIMgQQ/Tz31VBfMB4I/AAAAAAAAD64/ONFN-bpmQzo/s1600/audi-s5-white+2.jpg

If you need more room, A3's are still sporty:

http://www.velocitymotoring.com/links/images/VMR_Wheels_Audi_A3_White_V710_19_Matte-Black_34.jpg

salsashark
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:34 AM
I can't believe I beat KingNothing to posting this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34

Jmetz
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM
I can't believe I beat KingNothing to posting this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqJDuZIcQ34

Thank you. Saudis in Audis will be stuck in my head for the rest of the day. :lol:

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Are you looking to mod the car? And with mods, just how far do you want to go, you want handling or power? 335 will not handle good, not for your experience at a road course. The 335 will obviously have great power, the N54 is the motor of choice over the N55 by many.

However with the N55 now coming in the 1, 3, and 5 series, I would venture to say the aftermarket companies are still scrambling to come up with parts and still trying to fully crack the ECU.

I have no experience with Audi's, but will never buy another BMW again for several reasons.

IS-F would be very nice, but not so nice in the winter, might be something to consider, also the aftermarket vendors for this, there just isn't much so expect prices to be extremely high. And considering it's N/A, don't expect much power unless you go f/i especially at this altitude.

What about a used e63 or another 4 door 63 type benz? Guess it all depends on what you want and your goals/purpose with the car.

Aaron
Wed May 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM
The AMG's are amazing cars, but they drink like an alcoholic. 6.2L V8's aren't sippers.

I'm not sure how you can say a 335 won't handle good, I mean the X-drive certainly doesn't help, but it is still a very good handling car. And the upgrades to improve the braking/suspension are everywhere. If he plans to mod it past 500hp or so he wouldn't have much company, but there are tons of both N54 and N55 cars in the 400+ range now.

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Didn't see he had mentioned the xi, as for the standard one, from having my 135i, thing handled very poorly. But it all comes down to what your driving experience is and what you want out of it.

For me, even coming out of the driveway with my monster curbs complicated things once a back wheel came slightly off the ground. Same thing with coming up the steep long driveway at my work, little patch of ice or snow on one side of the asphault and I was in deep trouble if I didn't have enough speed to carry me up past it.

Reading the above, you could imagine how it affected the car and driving out of turns at a higher more aggressive speed.

As far as all out handling, guess I am spoiled by my previous cars:
s2000
sti
03 cobra (yes it handled pretty good with little money and learning to steer with throttle)
g35 coupe
evo IX
EVO X
135i (thumbs down)
370z

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Need a 4 dr sedan looking for Full size is why i am looking at the 335 and S4
The S5 i would only want in a two door, The IS-f is horrible in the snow. i know cause my friend has one, its one i have driven in the snow already. Modding the car will be minor mods nothing major but common bolt on's. and yes i know a bout the 335 issue with quick turns after the power reaches a certain point. i know the xdrive can not keep up what you need the car todo.

And GOose. my friend just got a b6 s4 Avant and is going to mod it out. he is also a csc member

Ghosty
Wed May 30th, 2012, 12:47 PM
I had a couple friends, one with an M5, one with an IS-F. They BOTH agreed the M5 outperformed the IS-F by far. I do love the look of the IS-F's though.

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 12:54 PM
4 door m3.... hehe, I would be tempted to get another BMW if it were this one. And as Ghosty mentioned, an M5, another car I would make for an exception to get another BMW.

BTW, another thing about my 135i, my heater turned on would at times overheat the head unit. Making the headunit display "hi temp" and shutting off the amp for about 10 minutes or so, and the heated seat for the driver would turn on randomly on it's own. Luckily I had the car through the winter only.

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:04 PM
M5 is a lil bigger then i want to go and the BMW have always had AMP issues or other electronic issues. My 98 m3 and 318ti with an M3 swap hand me banging my head with issues

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:10 PM
2011 cts-v hehe..... enough said!!!!

Aaron
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:39 PM
A 2003 Cobra handling well? I think that's all I need to say.

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:47 PM
i know a cobra running SCCA that handles like its on rails

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:48 PM
My 03 cobra (not on a raod course) but even autocrossing was able to hang with just about all the smaller cars on a tight course haha. Never was straight, however did get same times as most of the smaller cars.

You would be surprised how good they could handle with the IRS....for a mustang.

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Done bought a 2007 S4 DTM packaged.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/465138_10100453571331324_1317857442_o.jpg

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Wow...very nice!!!! That was quick haha.

birchyboy
Wed May 30th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Purty!

Ghosty
Wed May 30th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Congrats! Love the B7 S4, also the best looking rear/tails IMO. What's DTM? Is your hood popped, or is that a normal gap by the grill?

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Probably an aero package, the front lip looks different and it doesn't have the usual side rocker type panels along the bottom of the doors.

Also noticed the front rotors have a curvy slot design in them, not sure if that is standard or not along all S4's.

asp_125
Wed May 30th, 2012, 02:29 PM
DTM was an aero kit (front / rear valances, rear spoiler) inspired by the Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters race cars. IIRC no mechanical differences under the hood.

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
that gap is normal i noticed it too but its how it is

DTM like El Jefe said is just an Aero package for the s4 the A4 DTM had a better motor then the regular A4 and Aero package

Car had everything i was looking for. only thing i may do is new shoes better stance!!

Slo
Wed May 30th, 2012, 03:52 PM
You gonna get something agressive on offsets?

AOK303
Wed May 30th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Depends on what i can get the stock rims are 18 most jump to 19 or 20's when lowering it all depends how bad my wallet can take a beating

Penadam
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Looks awesome! +1 for the screaming v8.

bluedogok
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Congrats, sharp looking car.