PDA

View Full Version : SuperMoto Riding Technique

Cornfed
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I took the new hooligan bike west across Trailridge and then back to the front range via Poudre Canyon. The damn thing runs like a champ and has more motor than I expected. I think I saw 90 on the speedometer at one time. Anyway I found myself sticking a foot out half of the time and sticking a knee out the other half the time.
What advice does the CSC have for a new Sumo rider on backing it in? Riding MX style? Riding Superbike style? What gear? Street boots? MX boots? Helmets? Leathers or Jersey with chest protector? Its a great bike, now I gotta figure out how to ride it.........

Jmetz
Wed May 30th, 2012, 08:49 AM
I'm pretty sure there is crossover (sumo) gear available.

Zach929rr
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:09 AM
On the drz:

Ride MX style
Dirt helmet during the summer
MX Boots
Either Jacket/Jeans or full 2-piece depending on what I'm doing.

Penadam
Wed May 30th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I had the exact same problem when I got mine. I found the following really helped:

MX boots - makes me tons more confidant sticking a leg out. Less worried that my leg is going to snap or the sole stick if I lose the front end. Didn't feel good in 'normal' race boots, and they didn't come up my leg far enough and i felt like the sole was going to grab the ground if my foot touched.

Body position - early on was staying back in the seat and hanging off. Found out that didn't work so well by washing out the front at IMI. When cornering, now shift my weight way forward onto the tank to load up the front. Feels better when going foot out (lower speed) or hanging off a bit (higher speed).

Bar position - more forward and potentially higher.

Clutch level - played around with a few different positions, but something that disengages early on in the lever pull. Helped with using 1/2 fingers on the clutch and practicing wheelies.

Tire pressure - low, like mid 20s on street and low at track. Again, found this out the hard way.

This is what worked for me, hope it helps.

brennahm
Wed May 30th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Corner how you're comfortable. There's no right or wrong.

Get your weight forward on asphalt. Center it on the dirt.

Dirt helmets are good when you start riding slower dirt sections, full faces will fog up/get very stuffy/dusty.

Crash the bejeezus out of it!

Cornfed
Wed May 30th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I had the exact same problem when I got mine. I found the following really helped:

MX boots - makes me tons more confidant sticking a leg out. Less worried that my leg is going to snap or the sole stick if I lose the front end. Didn't feel good in 'normal' race boots, and they didn't come up my leg far enough and i felt like the sole was going to grab the ground if my foot touched.

Body position - early on was staying back in the seat and hanging off. Found out that didn't work so well by washing out the front at IMI. When cornering, now shift my weight way forward onto the tank to load up the front. Feels better when going foot out (lower speed) or hanging off a bit (higher speed).

Bar position - more forward and potentially higher.

Clutch level - played around with a few different positions, but something that disengages early on in the lever pull. Helped with using 1/2 fingers on the clutch and practicing wheelies.

Tire pressure - low, like mid 20s on street and low at track. Again, found this out the hard way.

This is what worked for me, hope it helps.

That helps. I'm picking up some used MX boots this afternoon. Can't afford to buy $1500 worth of new boots, helmets, etc overnight. I rode a YZ250 at Watkins 2 years ago for about 6 months, then the crank locked up and I sold it. I found that riding way forward like ur describing did give me much more front end feel and control and the back end can pretty much do whatever it wants. I'll try more of that. So hang off or throw it in?
Can't wait for my first trip to IMI. Probably next Wed.

Cornfed
Wed May 30th, 2012, 11:05 AM
Crash the bejeezus out of it!

Yes, yes. :yes::headbang::rock:

grim
Wed May 30th, 2012, 11:06 AM
I smell a DRZ in my future next month.