PDA

View Full Version : Rear Ended by Inattentive Driver 5/30

stubbicatt
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Out for a nice little ride yesterday, the last day of vacation. Was just outside of Nederland Colorado, stopping for lunch.

I slowed with turn signal on and left arm outstretched to signal a left turn. Came to a stop on a two lane road to allow oncoming traffic to clear, and heard the scrreeeching of tires behind me. I just knew this was not going to end well.

Putted forward maybe 5 feet, and was greeted with a small thump, sorta like someone kicked the tire. I wasn't actually certain that she had made contact with me. Finished my turn and went to lunch.

As I cleared the street, and looked behind me at the driver, she was sitting there in schock. I just shook my head.

Some Harley dude who was attempting to exit the lot was pretty excited and yelling at the woman.

Was only after all this that the shock and mental degradation began, while I ordered my lunch. Man. I missed what could have been a disaster by what I considered a small margin. Until now, I always worried about crashing by going into a corner too hot.

I have always kept a wary eye out for other motorists, and have been fortunate I guess until now (and still am fortunate) not to have had any mishaps with other vehicles. 36 years on motorcycles with no collisions with other vehicles.

Not sure why, but thought I would share.

Wrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:48 AM
Glad you're ok. Definitely could have been a lot worse, especially if you hadn't moved forward those 5 feet.

madvlad
Thu May 31st, 2012, 07:00 AM
Glad you're good Greg, gotta keep an eye out constantly cause distractions are greater these days than ever before.

GuitarX
Thu May 31st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Thank goodness you had the presence of mind to move up that extra 5' when you heard the tires squealing. I only hope I have that same kind of instinct if a similar situation arises. Good lesson for all of us, thanks for sharing. Glad you and the bike are okay Greg.

jbnwc
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for posting. It's a good reminder to be vigilant and prepared for anything when riding.

FZjake719
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Wow, thats crazy. Glad youre ok and able to type up what happened. Couldve wound up a hood ornament amongst other things.... Close call!

Slo
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:47 AM
Glad things turned out well in that situation.

~Barn~
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:52 AM
Quick thinking/instinct. :up:

CaptGoodvibes
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:56 AM
Good example of why I don't wear earbuds and listen to music when I ride. Gotta hear the screech...

Sean
Thu May 31st, 2012, 09:00 AM
You got lucky. Some inattentive drivers don't stop in time :(

Ghosty
Thu May 31st, 2012, 09:25 AM
Good job on putting your bike forward a bit! Glad it turned out ok, cars are stoooopid, could've been so much worse. I wear earplugs so have to be extra diligent.

Many years ago (2002?), Titus and I were riding our 929's downtown on Speer right before the Denver Health underpass. At that stoplight a girl didn't see me or thought I was gonna run the yellow. She CREAMED me from behind in her Accord, sent my passenger flying over, and I luckily only had slight scrapes, bike totalled. Had a leather, helmet, and gloves, luckily. If my passenger Shanonn didn't have a helmet, she would've got her face demolished in the pavement, the helmet was trashed. Gear, gear, gear!

Took me many years to get back on the saddle!

Ted
Thu May 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
You got lucky. Some inattentive drivers don't stop in time :(

You mean the Prii drivers :down: ? Is Prii a valid word ?????

asp_125
Thu May 31st, 2012, 12:48 PM
Good save, watch your six!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:17 PM
Dood! Glad you're ok. From the title I thought Althea was damaged.

Ok, now that my heartbeat is normal. You got REALLY lucky. I got slammed into from behind in '88-ish on my old Gixxer1100 and if it hadn't been for my 325lb+ buddy on his gixxer in front of me who I slammed into, I'd have gotten tossed into 50+mph crosstraffic and been made into roadkill. Bent the whole back of my frame up and her tire was lodged between my tire and the frame. I hit Marty so hard it snapped his footpeg bracket off.

Glad you 2 are ok. I'm ALWAYS watching my mirrors at a stop now, ready to run the sign/light if needed.

Wrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 05:32 PM
Good example of why I don't wear earbuds and listen to music when I ride. Gotta hear the screech...

Again, I can hear my motor sounds and stock exhaust over my music even when listening to music via helmet speakers or earbuds.

mdub
Thu May 31st, 2012, 05:38 PM
Again, I can hear my motor sounds and stock exhaust over my music even when listening to music via helmet speakers or earbuds.

I'm always aware of my surroundings. I am looking at mirrors all the time when stop'd. Keepin an eye out for that inattentive driver.

stubbicatt
Thu May 31st, 2012, 07:55 PM
Gotta digest this. Still not computing.

Thanks guys for the input. Maybe I will sell the bike and take up something safe like skydiving, or maybe sailplanes.

grim
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:06 PM

Thanks guys for the input. Maybe I will sell the bike and take up something safe like skydiving, or maybe sailplanes.

Lol you did the right thing and it's what kept you from getting seriously injured, you just got lucky because At least the driver hit the brakes and you heard the squeling. If she didnt brake well....I personally look at my mirrors constantly while stopped, Sean got hit by a Prius that didn't slam the brakes, so there was no way for him to hear it coming.

Ghosty
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Oh nooo, now I feel bad for sharing my wreck story. Didn't want to scare you. Let me tell you, I totally REGRET that I didn't get right back on a bike. I consider it "taking a breather", but now everyday I ride, and everyday I'm a little pissed I stayed away from bikes for too long.

Take a short break if you have to, but don't give up! ;)

Wrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Oh nooo, now I feel bad for sharing my wreck story. Didn't want to scare you. Let me tell you, I totally REGRET that I didn't get right back on a bike. I consider it "taking a breather", but now everyday I ride, and everyday I'm a little pissed I stayed away from bikes for too long.

Take a short break if you have to, but don't give up! ;)

+1. Get back on that horse, or it'll scare you more and more. (In my case that's literal, I can be around them but I don't like horses due to falling off of one as a kid. Something about seeing a Clydesdale's hoof coming down at your head sticks with you...)

kawasakirob
Sun Jun 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM

No waaaaay. KEEP the bike and jump it into the Grand Canyon like Travis Pastrana. There's no one around to run into you if you do that at least. Can I come watch?

stubbicatt
Sun Jun 3rd, 2012, 07:42 PM
No waaaaay. KEEP the bike and jump it into the Grand Canyon like Travis Pastrana. There's no one around to run into you if you do that at least. Can I come watch?

You first! :hibye:

Wrider
Sun Jun 3rd, 2012, 09:28 PM
You first! :hibye:

I volunteer to go first! (Using your bike of course.)

buzzardman36
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for the thread. As a somewhat new rider I got all the gear and ALWAYS slow down and watch for any oncoming traffic and side traffic issues that could happen. I try my hardest to slow down enough in intersections to where I can the eyes of the ppl driving the cars. I've been able to read a few times when some asshat isn't paying attention and have avoided numerous situations of cars pulling out in front of me and turning left in front of me. I've actually often wondered if taking the time to look drivers in the eyes is a bad idea becuase it might be taking my focus off of the road to some degree.
This thread is a good wake up call for me to start also looking behind me. I can't remember a time when I stopped that I looked in my rear view for any extended period of time to watch the cars behind me. So thanks! I"m going to make it part of my daily riding routine.:applause:

Radek
Mon Jun 18th, 2012, 11:24 PM
should get her number and rear end her later on