PDA

View Full Version : Motorcyclist clocked at 193mph in the rain

UglyDogRacing
Thu May 31st, 2012, 11:59 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/motorcyclist-clocked-going-193-mph-ny-highway-113500876.html

salsashark
Thu May 31st, 2012, 12:03 PM
The first comment cracked me up...

I once got up to 8MPH on an L.A freeway !

Zanatos
Thu May 31st, 2012, 12:14 PM
I like the two comments that say:

What kind of bike was it?

Well, we know for sure it wasn't a Harley.

Ghosty
Thu May 31st, 2012, 12:19 PM
14 Tickets?! Wonder what the laundry list is...

200mph is crazy even in the dry, in a car! I couldn't imagine on a bike, in the wet! That's some serious crazy balls...

madvlad
Thu May 31st, 2012, 12:40 PM
Suicidal lol

mdub
Thu May 31st, 2012, 01:30 PM
that is fucking awesome!!!!!

JonnyD
Thu May 31st, 2012, 01:36 PM
Found this on the smoking gun site, but can't verify it anywhere else:

Anderson's motorcycle, a 2005 Suzuki, was impounded at the scene.

Wonder if he asked when the last time the police radar was calibrated....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 31st, 2012, 01:44 PM
Found this on the smoking gun site, but can't verify it anywhere else:

A rhetorical question perhaps? Even if it was 50% off it wouldn't matter. :)

GuitarX
Thu May 31st, 2012, 03:54 PM
I think SV1000's can do 193 in the rain with your balls out.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu May 31st, 2012, 03:58 PM
I think SV1000's can do 193 in the rain with your balls out.

:lol:
I was wondering when that shoe would drop.

GuitarX
Thu May 31st, 2012, 03:59 PM
:lol:
I was wondering when that shoe would drop.

:spit:

kalibra
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:07 PM
I thought the most important line of the report was that "it could not be determined if he had an attorney"....!!!

Ghosty
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:11 PM
Seen this argument played out on CRN, with lots of input from real LEO's, incl. one State Patrolman. Summary: Historically, it's pretty much virtually impossible to beat a radar ticket. The devices go through rigorous testing, and frequent recalibration and recertification by the department. The officers also go through frequent training.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:25 PM
Seen this argument played out on CRN, with lots of input from real LEO's, incl. one State Patrolman. Summary: Historically, it's pretty much virtually impossible to beat a radar ticket. The devices go through rigorous testing, and frequent recalibration and recertification by the department. The officers also go through frequent training.
My dad was a radar Engineer. One of the uses for tuning forks was to calibrate radar. This was before they made radar guns, but the earlier guns came with forks and the officer was supposed to "tune" the radar before his shift with the fork. I'm sure they're calibrated at the factory now and only need to be recertified every 6 months or so.

I hope I never see the business end of this one:
http://decaturelectronics.com/content/handheld-radar#Genesis

.....because I designed the plastic housings for it.......

vort3xr6
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:43 PM
Which gun is the one with the eye hole for the officer to look through?

TinkerinWstuff
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM

AR-15 :hibye:

longrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM

That would be a Laser, I have never seen radar with sights

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM
Radar projects a much wider beam, which means accurate pointing is not neccessary, and for hand-held units it just is usually programmed to pick the fastes vehicle's speed and it's up to the officer to determine which that is. This "scatter" is why radar detectors work well. Laser is a much more focused beam, which requires aiming, but also will give the speed of only that vehicle in the beam. Unfortunately, this focused beam means there is far less "scatter" so a laser detector usually goes off only to tell you that you're busted. sometimes you're lucky and get a reading thru another car's window or a reflection, but it's rare.

Zach929rr
Thu May 31st, 2012, 05:39 PM
relevant

Man oh man just checked the bike out in the garage sad day indeed. No damage to me though so all is well. For the record I do know what im doing on my bike...probly the reason no one was in my rear view and me and vellos where just crusing along. You dont keep up with people by blind luck if you have never done it before. Body positoon, throttle manipultation, engine stopping I know it all..I am no pro not by a long shot but I wouldnt be up there if I didnt know how to do those things. I would have been upright like a giant penis wondering why my bike doesnt turn. Everyone makes mistakes. I took a turn to wide hit the dirt and went splat. It is what it is. Pro's on bikes, cars w/e wreck everyday. Thats how I ride, to the max and if I go down then so be it but its the cost I take to be good at something. I jump out of planes and get shot at for a living so dropping a bike isnt really a big deal as long as no one else gets hurt. As far as gear goes its a personal choice, I can wear a thousand dollar set of leathers and fly of a cliff and be the best rider in the world. Or ride naked and make it unmarked. I simply made the underdressed comment bc it looked like everyone came to a race not a ride. You guys think its young errogance, well im 28 not 21 and have been in way worse situations than that of a canyon ride. As soon as I get my new bike i will be right back out there and right back in the front doing what I do...and If you dont want to ride with me then stay in the back and play it safe. Its not who I am. If I make it all day and go home Im a "good" rider for keeping up with the ppl in front...but bc a simple mistake and a lay down im a "noob" and 20 something hero. Anyway, everyone has there own opinion, not looking to bash anyone here. Id rather die at 190 with my balls out than choke on a grape watching oprah on the couch.
Live fast die free...Ill be back
Side note it was one of the best runs ive been on. Beats the shit out of flat georgia roads dodging aligators and mequitos. Thanks for putting it together. Glad other dude is ok.

Wrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 05:39 PM
My dad was a radar Engineer. One of the uses for tuning forks was to calibrate radar. This was before they made radar guns, but the earlier guns came with forks and the officer was supposed to "tune" the radar before his shift with the fork. I'm sure they're calibrated at the factory now and only need to be recertified every 6 months or so.

I hope I never see the business end of this one:
http://decaturelectronics.com/content/handheld-radar#Genesis

.....because I designed the plastic housings for it.......

Incorrect. They still have to be "calibrated" at the beginning and end of every shift. One of the LEOs that Ghosty mentioned said he usually did a calibration at the beginning of every shift, and it would count for the pre-shift calibration of his current shift, as well as the post shift calibration of the shift before.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:12 PM
Incorrect. They still have to be "calibrated" at the beginning and end of every shift. One of the LEOs that Ghosty mentioned said he usually did a calibration at the beginning of every shift, and it would count for the pre-shift calibration of his current shift, as well as the post shift calibration of the shift before.
Where did he mention this? "The devices go through rigorous testing, and frequent recalibration and recertification by the department." Interesting. I thought they'd gotten away from having to do it every shift. I'm sure it's probably not really needed, but is more to appease the D.A. and close any loophole.

Wrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:28 PM
Wasn't able to find it with a quick search over on CRN, but it was by a LEO who is active on that board. IIRC it was "Smokey" that answered.

And agreed. I doubt they rarely, if ever, actually need to be recalibrated, but that way it's "look, it was right before I clocked him, and right after I clocked him, so it was right when I clocked him."

Clovis
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:30 PM
A few months back I did a ride along with CSPD and the officer broke out the tuning forks every time he stopped to clock people.

GuitarX
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:43 PM
I feel like someone just clocked me. :horse:

Spiderman
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:44 PM
I thought radar & laser didn't work in the rain? :dunno:

Zach929rr
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:45 PM
I feel like someone just cocked me. :horse:

http://www.fancydresscode.co.uk/images/CHICKEN.jpg

GuitarX
Thu May 31st, 2012, 06:55 PM
That's just not right.

stubbicatt
Thu May 31st, 2012, 07:51 PM
Originally Posted by rangerup175 http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=584102#post584102)
Man oh man just checked the bike out in the garage sad day indeed. No damage to me though so all is well. For the record I do know what im doing on my bike...probly the reason no one was in my rear view and me and vellos where just crusing along. You dont keep up with people by blind luck if you have never done it before. Body positoon, throttle manipultation, engine stopping I know it all..I am no pro not by a long shot but I wouldnt be up there if I didnt know how to do those things. I would have been upright like a giant penis wondering why my bike doesnt turn. Everyone makes mistakes. I took a turn to wide hit the dirt and went splat. It is what it is. Pro's on bikes, cars w/e wreck everyday. Thats how I ride, to the max and if I go down then so be it but its the cost I take to be good at something. I jump out of planes and get shot at for a living so dropping a bike isnt really a big deal as long as no one else gets hurt. As far as gear goes its a personal choice, I can wear a thousand dollar set of leathers and fly of a cliff and be the best rider in the world. Or ride naked and make it unmarked. I simply made the underdressed comment bc it looked like everyone came to a race not a ride. You guys think its young errogance, well im 28 not 21 and have been in way worse situations than that of a canyon ride. As soon as I get my new bike i will be right back out there and right back in the front doing what I do...and If you dont want to ride with me then stay in the back and play it safe. Its not who I am. If I make it all day and go home Im a "good" rider for keeping up with the ppl in front...but bc a simple mistake and a lay down im a "noob" and 20 something hero. Anyway, everyone has there own opinion, not looking to bash anyone here. Id rather die at 190 with my balls out than choke on a grape watching oprah on the couch.
Side note it was one of the best runs ive been on. Beats the shit out of flat georgia roads dodging aligators and mequitos. Thanks for putting it together. Glad other dude is ok.

This is a joke, right?

mdub
Thu May 31st, 2012, 07:55 PM
:pointlaugh:

grim
Thu May 31st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by rangerup175 http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?p=584102#post584102)

This is a joke, right?

Thats a big negative ghost rider.

howard27
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:25 PM
The lasers have to be calibrated at the manufacturer, law enforcement just checks calibration each time before they bring it out. If there is something wrong with it then they have to send it in to be fixed and its not cheap. Also they're really not using radars anymore it kinda old school stuff. Cycle monkey hit the nail on the head with his explanation.

howard27
Thu May 31st, 2012, 08:26 PM
radars work in the rain, rain impairs the function of the laser but it will work.

Wrider
Thu May 31st, 2012, 09:52 PM
Also they're really not using radars anymore it kinda old school stuff.

Ummm what?

howard27
Thu May 31st, 2012, 10:41 PM
Ummm what?

Ok, we no longer have radars only using lasers and it has been like that with the last two units I've been with. Lasers are the new technology and in my experience they are being used more and more.

Zach929rr
Thu May 31st, 2012, 11:06 PM
Ok, we no longer have radars only using lasers and it has been like that with the last two units I've been with. Lasers are the new technology and in my experience they are being used more and more.

My valentine1 disagrees with you.

Wrider
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 03:42 AM

By the way you phrased this I'm assuming you're a LEO. With who out of curiosity? I'm asking because I've been tagged by radar all over the state, from state patrol to county mounties to locals. I've only ever been tagged by laser twice. Once by CSPD, and once by CHP. (Although I do know Boulder county has laser as well.)

Aaron
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 08:01 AM

I'm not sure who "we" is, but CSP still, even on the new Chargers, has a radar mounted in every single car. My agency also has a radar unit in every traffic car, as well as a few more handheld units for checkout. We also have 6 or so lasers. Lasers work well, but they definitely are not a replacement for a radar gun. They are difficult to use at short range and in heavy traffic. Most of our traffic guys prefer the radar guns.

I have a radar assigned to me, it's old but works well. When I finally get the chance to run traffic, I'll find my spot. Prior to clocking any cars I test the gun with both tuning forks. At the end of my shift I test them again. If the Officer knows how to testify, it'd be near impossible to win a radar ticket.

My radar unit has sights (Picture a typical handgun sight), and believe it or not puts out a pretty narrow signal, I actually have to use the sights in order to get a reading. If I've got 2 cars headed at me I can clock them each independently, and reliably. This is good and bad, it's a pain when I don't have much time to get a reading from the time that I see them and they get adjacent to me. I will not let a person see the gun on the stop, although I do lock in the reading. It is possible to use mine while I'm driving, but since it's handheld I don't do this. After the stop I don't ask any questions at first, and I don't ask if they knew they were speeding or why they were. "Good afternoon this is Officer Ordway with the Police Department, the reason I'm contacting you is for your speed, I have you on radar at 48mph in a posted 35. I'll need to see your license and insurance."

grim
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure who "we" is, but CSP still, even on the new Chargers, has a radar mounted in every single car. My agency also has a radar unit in every traffic car, as well as a few more handheld units for checkout. We also have 6 or so lasers. Lasers work well, but they definitely are not a replacement for a radar gun. They are difficult to use at short range and in heavy traffic. Most of our traffic guys prefer the radar guns.

I have a radar assigned to me, it's old but works well. When I finally get the chance to run traffic, I'll find my spot. Prior to clocking any cars I test the gun with both tuning forks. At the end of my shift I test them again. If the Officer knows how to testify, it'd be near impossible to win a radar ticket.

My radar unit has sights (Picture a typical handgun sight), and believe it or not puts out a pretty narrow signal, I actually have to use the sights in order to get a reading. If I've got 2 cars headed at me I can clock them each independently, and reliably. This is good and bad, it's a pain when I don't have much time to get a reading from the time that I see them and they get adjacent to me. I will not let a person see the gun on the stop, although I do lock in the reading. It is possible to use mine while I'm driving, but since it's handheld I don't do this. After the stop I don't ask any questions at first, and I don't ask if they knew they were speeding or why they were. "Good afternoon this is Officer Ordway with the Police Department, the reason I'm contacting you is for your speed, I have you on radar at 48mph in a posted 35. I'll need to see your license and insurance."

No registration required?? SAWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aaron
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 12:54 PM
Nope, by the time you've stopped I've aleadry run your plates ;) It makes writing your ticket easier too!

grim
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 01:37 PM
Nope, by the time you've stopped I've aleadry run your plates ;) It makes writing your ticket easier too!

Ah well you wont stop me in Pueblo cause every time i go there i don't stop, if i am making a delivery i just have them open the tailgate and let the motor fall out the back as i am still driving. I hate Pueblo.

Aaron
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
You'll stop if I tell you to! Remember I got that email about embarrassing that Sheriff's Deputy with your BS and lies. You're zero tolerance now asshole!

grim
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM
You'll stop if I tell you to! Remember I got that email about embarrassing that Sheriff's Deputy with your BS and lies. You're zero tolerance now asshole!

HAHAHAHA My GoPro told no lies!!!!!!!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 04:17 PM
The lasers have to be calibrated at the manufacturer, law enforcement just checks calibration each time before they bring it out. If there is something wrong with it then they have to send it in to be fixed and its not cheap. Also they're really not using radars anymore it kinda old school stuff. Cycle monkey hit the nail on the head with his explanation.
Thanks. As i said, I designed the housings for Decatur's gun and got to talk with them a bunch. Plus, my dad was a Radar Engineer since the early '60's, and he got to design some really awesome stuff for the Navy, so I got to know a little about it.

As an aside, I got nailed by a WY Hwy Patrol guy, and he said he had this awesome new dash-mounted system that could track up to 6 different cars simultaneously, with speeds for each. I'd imagine that's one sweet but complicated unit. Since my V1 is almost 20 years old it doesn't pick up some of the new bands, and I got zero warning as I crested the hill.

howard27
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 05:14 PM
I apologize guys for bad information, but I never said that radars are obsolete and are never used. I personally like radars and would rather use them but we don't have them. Nothing personal sorry. I do, do Law Enforcement on the day to day but no I'm not a LEO. SF USAF I have only done LE and have had a chance to train with German & American LEO and I don't know what equipment every officers carry through out the US. Again sorry for the bad info I'll be more careful on my answers. I'm new to the forum bad start I guess.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
I apologize guys for bad information, but I never said that radars are obsolete and are never used. I personally like radars and would rather use them but we don't have them. Nothing personal sorry. I do, do Law Enforcement on the day to day but no I'm not a LEO. SF USAF I have only done LE and have had a chance to train with German & American LEO and I don't know what equipment every officers carry through out the US. Again sorry for the bad info I'll be more careful on my answers. I'm new to the forum bad start I guess.
No, you tried to give good info, it just might have been worded better. Thanks, and don't let that deter you in the future.

Wrider
Fri Jun 1st, 2012, 05:36 PM

Oh no bud, not at all. I was just questioning what unit you were with was all. Sorry if it came off as attacking you. We're usually pretty friendly here, well, except for the assholes like me. :eyebrows:

Anyway we do value all of the input we receive, as that's why we're on a forum!