PDA

View Full Version : newb rider...looking for a training day at a track?

PurpleFox
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 06:52 PM
Hi everyone,

I just joined the forum here- thanks to Sully for recommending this forum to me!

Just to tell you a bit about myself, I still consider myself a new rider, with only about 2000 miles of riding experience. I just recently got a new Triumph Street Triple (had a great little 250cc before) and took the MSF Intermediate course in the hopes it would help me bond with my bike better and improve my riding skills. the class went well over all, but I am simply not leaning the bike over enough.

One of my friends sent me a video from youtube of a track class, and in the video there were sport bikes with basically training wheel set ups. I feel like that sort of training would be so beneficial for me, and help me learn how to properly lean the bike over.

I tried googling track training classes in Colorado, but only came up with Erico's classes at High Plains this summer. Are there other track classes available in Colorado for a beginner??? I would like to be able to rent a bike for a day, and not use my own. Any helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.....thank you!

sag
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 07:41 PM
i dont know of anything like that in colorado. plenty of options for good instruction here though just lacking the fancy training aids and using the schools bike. also lacking the multi-thousand dollar costs.

the video you watched is probably from something like what they do out at miller

http://www.millermotorsportspark.com/riding-school/yamaha-champions-riding-school.html

or

http://www.superbikeschool.com/

Bueller
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't worry about how far you are leaning the bike over, proper body position will actually result in less lean angle. Your concern should be with body position and the mechanics of cornering. Learn to be smooth and the speed and lean will follow. Don't expect to learn this stuff in a weekend class. Start with track days and ask for help from local riders/racers but take advice with an open mind as not all advice is good.

PurpleFox
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate the help from advanced riders. :) The MSF Beginner and Intermediate classes are very similar- there is no speed involved at all, its all basic riding instruction, with quick stops, and weaving through cones, and that type of thing. I take curves wayyyyy too wide, and I couldnt keep my bike in "the box" exercise doing figure 8's. During both MSF courses my instructors told me I need to lean the bike over more. I just thought a good beginners track class might help me understand what my bike is capable of and improve my skills. For now I guess I need to ride every chance I get and practice practice practice. :)

grim
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Just as everyone has said lean angle is not important it's body position and how you handle the throttle and what gear you are in. I bit it at IMI because I had maximum lean angle, poor body position and rocked the throttle too hard in 2nd gear just barely lifting the front tire and losing traction. Bike slid out right under me.

This past weekend I practiced body position in the canyons in the morning with no traffic and noticed a world of difference when you have good body position and aren't all crossed up.

It will take time just go at a pace you are comfortable with and practice, if you don't mind waking up in the morning and hitting the canyons myself and cornfed can show you a thing or two as long as you area willing to learn.

rybo
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 08:56 PM
At this time I would usually pitch my business - Chicane Trackdays - this year I am offering one / one coaching at the track for most levels of riders.

Problem is - I'm injured, so I'm probably not teaching until August again. Please check out my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicane-Trackdays/89490667018

I'm trying to post a free tip there every week for riders wanting to explore the track.

If you decide to hire me later on, great. In the meantime, Bueller's advice is really good. Go on a day when there are likely to be a lot of people there. Look around for the ones that look comfortable, like they've been there before. Introduce yourself. These people are going to become your friends! Then ask questions. There really isn't any question that's too dumb except for the one that goes unasked.

To my knowledge there are no schools in Colorado that have rental bikes at this time. You would have to use your own motorcycle. In my mind this is better. Learn how to use the motorcycle that YOU have. The Street Triple is a great bike and completely suitable for bringing to the track.

If you have any questions please feel free to send me a message. I've been around awhile and can probably point you in the right direction!

Scott

p.s. -The video you saw was of the "lean and slide" bike that Keith Code uses at the California Superbike School. I agree that it's really cool, but I don't think it's a necessary tool for learning how to make a motorcycle turn better.

Snowman
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
I would like to make an almost mad suggestion.

Since most of the class related track schools are out for the season, you might want to consider doing a Super Street Class with the MRA, without doing the race. It would cover just about everything you are looking for with instructors 30mins of track time and classroom instruction for $100.00. Just don't do the race. It will also qualify you to do any track day anywhere where you could work on improving your skills.

rybo
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I would like to make an almost mad suggestion.

Since most of the class related track schools are out for the season, you might want to consider doing a Super Street Class with the MRA, without doing the race. It would cover just about everything you are looking for with instructors 30mins of track time and classroom instruction for $100.00. Just don't do the race. It will also qualify you to do any track day anywhere where you could work on improving your skills.

An excellent suggestion, and one I should have made. Thanks Randall!

madvlad
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Super Street ftw!... though I haven't done a single track day yet in 8 yrs of riding, I have learned to be a better rider by hanging out with some of the track guys and they give you great tips in all senses, can't wait to see what I'll learn at the track! It all lies on the fun, open minded factor to learn, while maintaining a safe and paced set of mind. Can't wait for this August to get on the track for my first Super Street. Also I recommend getting out to a track and just spectate, you'll learn a ton from just that right there too.

Kitten
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
+3 for superstreet! I think it's one of the best bangs for the buck!

powers
Mon Jun 4th, 2012, 11:26 PM
+3 for superstreet! I think it's one of the best bangs for the buck!

This!

It is a great way to get on the track and learn from some great people! Lapping days are fun, but I almost feel like my first one (4 hours) was a waste after spending just 30 mins on the track with instructors. Late Apex, huh? Seriously, I had no idea... And finding little "landmarks" on the track to find your line, I was such a newb. I feel A LOT more confident after just 2 SS races.

I did Chicane last summer also, and it was definitely worth it.

I think you(we) have a huge advantage in having the MRA and experienced riders that are more than willing to help.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:00 AM
this thread just reminded me of a recent article I read and chuckled

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2012/05/training_wheels_don_t_work_balance_bikes_teach_chi ldren_how_to_ride_.html

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:04 AM
Scott - I don't fagbook but make sure to let me know when you're back on two wheels. I may be interested in getting a little one-on-one instruction

Cjake39
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 10:59 AM
When I got my R6, I had about 4 months of street riding under my belt before getting out on track with the MRA. It was intimidating at first when you are one of the slower riders and getting passed like you're on a scooter on the straights...lol.

However, I always tell people I learned more in one track day than the 5K+ miles I put on the bike on the street. Everyone in the pits is more than helpful and afterwards I was more confident, smoother, and faster than I ever was. Looking at some sticky heat-rubbed sidewalls is a great feeling :). Chicane days are probably one of the best local tools, but don't be afraid to come to an open track day either.

Ghosty
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Good info, noted!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicane-Trackdays/89490667018
<Liked>, thx.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate the help from advanced riders. :) The MSF Beginner and Intermediate classes are very similar- there is no speed involved at all, its all basic riding instruction, with quick stops, and weaving through cones, and that type of thing. I take curves wayyyyy too wide, and I couldnt keep my bike in "the box" exercise doing figure 8's. During both MSF courses my instructors told me I need to lean the bike over more. I just thought a good beginners track class might help me understand what my bike is capable of and improve my skills. For now I guess I need to ride every chance I get and practice practice practice. :)

As has been suggested, try the MRA's Super Street class. You can find all the info here - http://forums.mra-racing.org/viewtopic.php?t=12495

Another option is the MSF Advanced Rider Course - Sportbike Techniques (http://www.abateofcolo.org/docs/ARC_FAQs_v7101.pdf). It does include some good cornering drills which should help you. Bob and I will be instructing this class on Saturday, August 11th. Go here for registration - http://abate.si2.com/ABATE/TRS.nsf/Locations-ARC-ST?OpenForm

Some good books you should consider reading-

http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Riding-Techniques-Develop-Confidence/dp/1893618072

http://www.amazon.com/Twist-Wrist-Basics-High-Performance-Motorcycle/dp/0965045021

http://www.amazon.com/Smooth-Riding-Pridmore-Way-Reg/dp/1884313469

PurpleFox
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 04:48 PM
Thank you Sag, Bueller, Grim, Rybo, Snowman, Madvlad, Kitten, Powers, Tinkerinwstuff, Cjake39, Ghosty, and Uglydogracing! You all have provided so much wonderful information, I really appreciate the links to everything and all your advice!!! I now have a lot of reading and research to do to help me figure out what I want my next step to be in continuing to grow my skills as a rider! thank you all again so much!!! now I have to start checking into everything you all suggested! :)

asp_125
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 04:57 PM
A friend of mine recently did the MSF ARC class, and applied a lot of the techniques on our ride to Durango this past weekend. It really showed in his ability to keep up with the better riders.

PurpleFox
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 05:04 PM
well I just did the Intermediate MSF class through ABATE, and I got the impression that I should get some more real world riding in before I attempt to take the ARC class. So maybe next summer I will plan on the ARC. This year though i think I am going to come out and watch a track day somewhere, and see what I can absorb from it. :)

Bueller
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 05:15 PM
This year though i think I am going to come out and watch a track day somewhere, and see what I can absorb from it. :)
This weekend is Round 3 of the MRA races, Sat. is the 4 hour endurance so there will be a ton of spectating and you are in the paddock with all the racers and their bikes. $10 gate fee or get a 2 for 1 coupon @ the dealerships/shops in the area and get in for $5 ea.

I will be the #99 bike/pit stop by and say hi.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46553

Snowman
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 06:03 PM
^^ Same here, more than welcome to come by the pits Garage No.2 bike number 427.

madvlad
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Oh you'll absorb alright lol, it's the best addiction evar! Lol

Slo
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:55 PM
^^ Same here, more than welcome to come by the pits Garage No.2 bike number 427.

*ahem* hehe there will be a few of us in there haha.

PurpleFox
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Gah! I am working this Saturday! If there is ever a race or other type of event on a Sunday, I will be there...lol. This sounds like so much fun, this is a whole other part of motorcycling I never even thought about learning about!

Good luck to everyone this weekend!!!

asp_125
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Races are on Sundays, too!

Bueller
Wed Jun 6th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Sunday is also race day, in fact the Sunday sprints feature the premier "Race of the Rockies" class where the fastest racers compete for $ purse so they are the best riders the MRA has to offer.
Practice starts @ 8am and racing starts around 10:30-11ish and runs to3:30-4:00

Snowman
Wed Jun 6th, 2012, 08:43 AM
So you are running out of excuses. Your next addiction is waiting...