PDA

View Full Version : Travel Insurance?

bulldog
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Going on a week trip to Cancun mexico towards the end of July and debating on travel insurance.

Anyone have opinions on if they get it and why. If not why not? Comes to about $141.00 for two people. Any help/opinions are appreciated.

This is what it shows it covers:

The Gold Plan is Travel Guard’s most popular plan; ideal for families.

Trip Cost: Trip Cancellation
Covers you if you cancel your trip due to a covered reason. 150% of Trip Cost: Trip Interruption
Covers you if you interrupt your trip due to a covered reason.
$750: Trip Interruption - Return Air Only
Reimburses the additional airline transportation expenses incurred by you to reach the return destination.
$750: Trip Delay
Reimburses up to $150 a day for reasonable, additional expenses for meals, accommodations, taxi fares, and essential phone calls, if your trip is delayed for more than 5 hours due to covered reasons.
$250: Missed Connection
Reimburses you if inclement weather or common carrier causes cancellation or a delay of regularly scheduled airline flights for three or more hours to your point of departure.
$1,000: Baggage & Personal Effects
Can reimburse you if your baggage is lost, stolen, or damaged while on your trip. This coverage is in excess of any other coverage or indemnity.
$300: Baggage Delay
If your baggage is delayed more than 12 hours, you can be reimbursed for the purchase of necessary personal effects.

$25,000: Medical Expense
Reimburses for emergency medical expenses incurred while on a trip. This coverage is in excess of any other coverage or indemnity. Coverage will become primary if the plan is purchased within 15 days of initial trip payment.
$500,000: Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation of Remains
Covers evacuation and transportation as directed by a physician to the nearest adequate medical facility, (home in the event of death or if medically required).
$10,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment Pays for loss of life or limb if it occurs within 365 days of an accident during your trip.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Not a big travel insurance fan because my Credit Cards cover most everything you listed (most good C.C.s do). There are a few things on there though that would make it worth while, like the missed connection, baggage delay and trip delay. If you had any of these issues it would be nice to know that stuff was covered.

If you have C.C.s take a look at what coverages they give you just for having the card.

Sparker
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM
I typically get it when im spending a lot on a trip or going someplace outside the country. Never needed it but nice to know its there.

bulldog
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Not a big travel insurance fan because my Credit Cards cover most everything you listed (most good C.C.s do). There are a few things on there though that would make it worth while, like the missed connection, baggage delay and trip delay. If you had any of these issues it would be nice to know that stuff was covered.

If you have C.C.s take a look at what coverages they give you just for having the card. Thanks I will look into that :up:

Keep them coming :D

Sean
Tue Jun 5th, 2012, 09:43 AM
I've only gotten it when traveling to very remote places (trekking through Nepal) or doing stupid shit (dirtbiking through Baja). Angela and I got insurance for Baja earlier this year through insuremytrip.com. I got the IMG Patriot International (because it had an extreme activities ryder) and covered both of us for $20/week. Although I never used them, so I don't know how good they are.

$140 seems a little high. And do you really need it? I wouldn't think so with Cancun. But it's your call.