PDA

View Full Version : Someone that actually deserves a handout

Ghosty
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Makes you think deeply about what we all take for granted, like electricity, running water, food, etc. Things her drug addict parents didn't care about.

God bless 'er!...

From scrubbing floors to Ivy League: Homeless student to go to dream college...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/07/us/from-janitor-to-harvard/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120606082929-homeless-to-harvard-2-story-body.jpg

Lawndale, North Carolina (CNN) -- It's before sunrise, and the janitor at Burns High School has already been down the length of a hallway, cleaning and sweeping classrooms before the day begins.

This particular janitor is painstakingly methodical, even as she administers a mental quiz on an upcoming test. Her name is Dawn Loggins, a straight-A senior at the very school she cleans.

On this day, she maneuvers a long-handled push broom between rows of desks. She stops to pick up a hardened, chewed piece of gum. "This annoys me, because there's a trash can right here," she says.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Sad, but inspiring. I think she certainly deserves help, whatever the system is allowed to give her. But, she's white, and will probably be passed over for a lot of what she SHOULD get.....

Ghosty
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 06:22 PM
But, she's white, and will probably be passed over for a lot of what she SHOULD get.....
Ok I'll tread lightly for now, but this isn't suppose to be a race thing.

It should be inspiring to other people who were born into poverty regardless of color or social standing, even the inner city or a trailerpark with meth-head parents. If SHE can get this far, then ANYONE can, sans any mental or physical handicaps. Obviously she can't get any NAACP/LaRaza/NativeAmerican/etc. type scholarships, but most of those are private things serving a specific purpose and for certain reasons. There are tons of scholarships anyone can apply for, and succeed.

She's underprivileged and smart, she'll get a Pell grant, and/or similar grants, if not a scholarship. She'll definitely qualify for loans. If I was her I'd choose a state school, instead of racking up HUGE mortgage-size student loans at an IvyLeague school, UNLESS they offer her a scholarship. Wish her and her brother (similar situation) the very best, because they deserve it after the hurdles they've leaped thus far.

mdub
Thu Jun 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM
wow ...what is it today with sad pictures of history and now this.

This is a grt find. Does make u appreciate on what we all take for granted on a daily basis. We will probably hear from her again in the future. A very amazing person to overcome such poverty. She is truely a very focus young lady to better herself and her situation. Kudos to the folks who help her out and get her back on her feet.

....and she got a full scholarship to Harvard...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 8th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Ok I'll tread lightly for now, but this isn't suppose to be a race thing.

It should be inspiring to other people who were born into poverty regardless of color or social standing, even the inner city or a trailerpark with meth-head parents. If SHE can get this far, then ANYONE can, sans any mental or physical handicaps. Obviously she can't get any NAACP/LaRaza/NativeAmerican/etc. type scholarships, but most of those are private things serving a specific purpose and for certain reasons. There are tons of scholarships anyone can apply for, and succeed.

She's underprivileged and smart, she'll get a Pell grant, and/or similar grants, if not a scholarship. She'll definitely qualify for loans. If I was her I'd choose a state school, instead of racking up HUGE mortgage-size student loans at an IvyLeague school, UNLESS they offer her a scholarship. Wish her and her brother (similar situation) the very best, because they deserve it after the hurdles they've leaped thus far.

I say that because I've been on the receiving end of "reverse-discrimination" a couple times. Blatantly. Plus, well, if there was ever a scholarship strictly for WHITE people, all the hypocrits would be screaming "racist". I wish her the best, she is an inspiration and i agree with you that if she can, ANYONE can. My grandparents, 3 out of 4 of them poor immigrants who couldn't speak English when they got here, all somehow managed to put all of their kids through the best East Coast colleges. So, it CAN be done, without gov't handouts.