PDA

View Full Version : Bought a lawn mower

Aaron
Sun Jun 10th, 2012, 11:34 PM
I'm bored waiting for the girly to be ready for bed.

I bought a lawn mower today. I was torn between an old cheap one, or a brand new one. Since this is my first house, and I'm young, I went with the new one so it'd last me a while. I got a Troy-Bilt push mower, with the OHC Honda engine. It's a true push mower, none of that annoying auto drive. It also has the large rear wheels which really aids in maneuvering it. It's perfect in every way, except it does not use Hondas quad-blade technology. But for the price savings over a Honda (over $120) it matches it in every other way. I also wish the wheels were metal. I'm happy with it, hopefully it lasts a lifetime with proper care. Next I need to get a weed eater, any ideas?

http://blog.troybiltpartsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Troy-Bilt-TB-130-Push-Mower.jpg

Penadam
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 01:34 AM
STIHL

sloridr
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 01:52 AM
^^+1 however I have a ryobi 2 stroke that has the interchangeable heads. And I use the shit out of it!!! They also sell it in 4 stroke. Just sayin. If you wanna test it out feel free to stop by and weed eat my yard......

Wrider
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 02:27 AM
If you wanna test it out feel free to stop by and weed eat my yard......

What a selfless offer you make...

sloridr
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 02:39 AM
What a selfless offer you make...
I truly is a great way to get the feel for a machine.... Take it for a test ride....

BC14
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Personally, I love my battery Black n decker one. I don't have a lot of yard, and it comes with 2 batteries. Works perfectly for me. http://www.lowes.com/pd_335412-70-NST2118_4294747236_4294937087_?productId=3308592&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_String%2BTrimmers%2BEdgers_429474 7236_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar |1&facetInfo= (http://www.lowes.com/pd_335412-70-NST2118_4294747236_4294937087_?productId=3308592&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_String%2BTrimmers%2BEdgers_429474 7236_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar %7C1&facetInfo=)

Squisha
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Goats.

More eco-friendly than gas.

mxer
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 07:07 AM
That "annoying" self propelled action is definitely not annoying! I don't think Honda even makes a non self propelled mower so I bet the savings is even more.

Aaron
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Battery powered is out of the question. Diesel or gas only.

^^+1 however I have a ryobi 2 stroke that has the interchangeable heads. And I use the shit out of it!!! They also sell it in 4 stroke. Just sayin. If you wanna test it out feel free to stop by and weed eat my yard......

I would love to see how well the 4-stroke model works, but as for the 2-stroke I don't think I can get an accurate judgement unless I see it cut my grass. So come over and weed eat my lawn.

That "annoying" self propelled action is definitely not annoying! I don't think Honda even makes a non self propelled mower so I bet the savings is even more.

I hate self propelled mowers. They never go the right speed, use more gas, eat engine power, and are impossible to control. They drive me more crazy. Honda does make a model without autodrive, but it still costs north of $350 and you have to order it online. It has the quad blade, but small rear wheels. At that price, forget it.

I also checked into John Deere. Expensive, great reviews, but they all have auto drive. Craftsmen had some good offerings, and not too expensive, but we've had too much bad luck with their mowers.

cptschlongenheimer
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 08:19 AM
...Craftsmen had some good offerings, and not too expensive, but we've had too much bad luck with their mowers.

A dude who works for sears told me they switched to a new manufacturer a couple years ago. Been crap ever since.

Clovis
Mon Jun 11th, 2012, 08:57 AM
For a weed eater. try craigslist. I got a nice $200 one in great condition for $30 from a pawn shop (listed on craigslist) a couple of summers ago. Works great (and it's a gas 4 stroke so no need to add oil to the fuel).

modette99
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I have an older Sears one, I neglect it and it keeps on going. Starts with one pull, but is an electric start...LOL And yes its self-propelled with variable speeds.

If I bought a new one it be a Honda but they run like $600-$800. I'm in no hurry to buy a new mower.

At the end of the day its what your happy with and what gets the job done.

modette99
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Speaking of Weed Eaters I got a craftsman's one (was originally like $120) I would let go for $30 with the strings and even the metal blade attachment (whack down brush, needed this for our place in MI). I think it needs tuned up, it starts always cold blooded and yes its a 2-stroke. If your near Monument, let me know ASAP...I am considering donating to Goodwill or habitat otherwise (I bought a battery powered one last year and I prefer it).

salsashark
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 12:13 PM
This stuff works pretty damn good!

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/071549/071549043063xl.jpg

just don't use it near your lawn on a windy day... you WILL be sorry.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 01:24 PM
I have an industrial Stihl but its overkill and loud. For fathers day two years ago my wife ordered me a Workx GT and I have to say its the best yard machine I have ever owned.

I know you said no to battery powered but I ordered an extra battery and have had 0 problems with its life and power. The biggest bonus is that it turns into an edger and literally makes my yard look a million times better than everyone elses.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/worx.jpg

bulldog
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 01:36 PM
I love my battery powered weed eater! So much easier to use that than get out the cord or gas. I have a gas one for bigger jobs, but the newer battery powered are pretty good nowadays for small jobs like the lawn.

Aaron
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Jesus fucking Christ, I said gas or diesel only. I specifically said battery/electric weed eaters are out. How much more clear do I need to be? It's like me saying I want a beer, and you giving me all the reasons a water is better.

I bought a weed whacker today. I was weary about Craftsmen, but that's what I ended up getting. It's a 31cc 2-cycle, straight shaft with the accessory attachment. The reviews were overwhelmingly good, it was cheap at $122, and my discover card rewards have me a $100 gift card for $90 of reward points.

I would have rather had a 4 cycle, but they are heavier, down on power, and more expensive.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Wow :shock:

Have fun with your Craftsman... Like you need our help picking that beast out.

Wrider
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
They make diesel weed wackers? Huh, learn something new every day...

Aaron
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 01:59 PM
It had great reviews, and I shopped around quite a bit. We'll see how it holds up, but on paper it can't be beat. Large displacement, average weight, cheap as a pregnant hooker. And the reviews also gave Craftsmen really high marks on upholding their 2-year warranty.

Aaron
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM
They make diesel weed wackers? Huh, learn something new every day...
Not that was I was able to find, I wish though! I'm all about diesels, my next car will hopefully be one. Going car shopping for my sister next week, looking at X5s, and I really hope to find a 35d in our price range.

bulldog
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Jesus fucking Christ, I said gas or diesel only. I specifically said battery/electric weed eaters are out. How much more clear do I need to be? It's like me saying I want a beer, and you giving me all the reasons a water is better.

Wow, yeah man and you have no problems with you temper right? Think some classes are needed for you to learn how to control it man; especially considering you are a cop and have to deal with stuff all the time!!!!

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
It's like me saying I want a beer, and you giving me all the reasons a water is better.

Its probably time we have this conversation anyways :dunno:

bulldog
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Its probably time we have this conversation anyways :dunno: Dude it is beer and synthetic heroin he brags about taking everyday. Keep up man :lol:

After that response I now wonder if there was more to him breaking his hand on a kids head and maybe it was a loss of temper :dunno:

Zach929rr
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM
I AM AN OFFICER OF THE LAW WHICH MEANS THAT THE FIRST TIME I MAKE A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ON GAS AND/OR DIESEL WEED WHACKERS I DEMAND MOTHERFUCKING COMPLIANCE.

birchyboy
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 04:48 PM
I think goats would be able to handle the weather in the dirty, dirty south pretty well. Plus, they'd give you some meat at the end of the summer. Just a thought.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 05:17 PM
After that response I now wonder if there was more to him breaking his hand on a kids head and maybe it was a loss of temper :dunno:

Ahhhh....:shock: You wouldnt be implying that an officer may or may not have used too much force, abusing the power given to them would you :lol:

That kinds stuff never happens Nate, come on.

bulldog
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Ahhhh....:shock: You wouldnt be implying that an officer may or may not have used too much force, abusing the power given to them would you :lol:

That kinds stuff never happens Nate, come on. I was actually giving the guy the benefit of doubt when it came to that, but after I see how mad he got over a electric weed eater it makes me rethink it.

:rant:<-- ELECTRIC WEED EATER???......NOOOOOO....SO.... MAD.......NOW.......HOW DARE YOU NOT LISTEN!!!!

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 06:29 PM
MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF... IF... ONE MORE OF YOU PIECES OF SHITS DOES NOT LISTEN TO ME :nuke:

bulldog
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM
MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! IF... IF... ONE MORE OF YOU PIECES OF SHITS DOES NOT LISTEN TO ME :nuke:
I just hope nobody mentions self propelled lawnmowers again because it may throw Aaron over the edge :lol:

I hate self propelled mowers. They never go the right speed, use more gas, eat engine power, and are impossible to control. They drive me more crazy.
AS STATED THEY MAKE HIM MORE CRAZY!!!!!! :horse:

Bueller
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 06:57 PM
I just hope nobody mentions self propelled lawnmowers again because it may throw Aaron over the edge :lol:

AS STATED THEY MAKE HIM MORE CRAZY!!!!!! :horse:

I wouldn't own anything but an annoying self propelled. I am not young and have been mowing lawns longer than most here have been alive but what the JESUS FUCKING CHRIST do I know?

Ghosty
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM
I think goats would be able to handle the weather in the dirty, dirty south pretty well. Plus, they'd give you some meat at the end of the summer. Just a thought.
+1

Refer to my "Rent-a-goat Lawn Service" business idea post in the prior "CSC Lawnmower Advice" thread. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/toothygrin.gif

+1 on self-propelled, love powerdrive, especially when going up a slope. I've had a Husqvarna from Sears I bought a few years ago, I think in the $300 range. Works awesome so far, but it's my first of this brand. YMMV...

You and your Sister are buying a diesel X5? I didn't even know they made those for N.America, nice. What's the MPG?

Zach929rr
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 08:30 PM
Personally, I prefer cold fusion powered lawn equipment. Best of the best right there.

grim
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 09:19 PM
I have a kid, so there.

Aaron
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 09:48 PM
+1

Refer to my "Rent-a-goat Lawn Service" business idea post in the prior "CSC Lawnmower Advice" thread. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/toothygrin.gif

+1 on self-propelled, love powerdrive, especially when going up a slope. I've had a Husqvarna from Sears I bought a few years ago, I think in the $300 range. Works awesome so far, but it's my first of this brand. YMMV...

You and your Sister are buying a diesel X5? I didn't even know they made those for N.America, nice. What's the MPG?
I didn't think the goat suggestion was serious! Unfortunately they eat everything, leaving just dirt, and they poop all over the place. Plus I'd see them and have a huge desire to start shooting. Hey kids, dinnertime!

Luckily my yard is pretty flat, I don't think I'll have any problems moving it.

In 2009 they introduced the X5 with the 35d, a 3.0l I6 turbo diesel. 19 city and 26 highway. The normal 30i (3.0l I6) does 15/21. The V8 does 14/19, but we won't buy a V8. BMW doesn't have great V8 reputation, she doesn't need the power, and the BMW 2.5/3.0/3.2 I6 is one of the best engines ever made for a production car.

So the diesel outperforms the normal inline 6, while delivering a 26% gain in city mpg, and a 24% gain in highway mpg (Which will save $600-1000 a year in gas according to the EPA). It also provides much more low end torque, something the 3.0 isn't known for. It also has a much longer service interval, and with a redline of 5,000rpm its piston speeds are dramatically lower than it's N/A equivalent.

And at the time of this post, diesel prices are equal to mid-grade unleaded (And the 30i technically requires premium, though they run fine on mid).

Ghosty
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I didn't think the goat suggestion was serious! Unfortunately they eat everything, leaving just dirt, and they poop all over the place. Plus I'd see them and have a huge desire to start shooting. Hey kids, dinnertime!
No, it was a complete joke. Btw, stick with Lamb. Goat meat is weird/gamey, yuck.

Aaron
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 11:07 PM
Lamb? Personally I prefer human. The faces are the best!

Ghosty
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Gross, is this you IRL?...

http://dontgetbit.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/zombie-cop1.jpg

Aaron
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 11:22 PM
No I wear glasses. I swear.

Ghosty
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Aaron, AKA "Officer Cranky" hopped up on beer & skittles. The headless guy complained about getting a "Doing 59 in a 55" ticket...

http://www.belch.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/zombiecop.jpg

bulldog
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 08:52 AM
I wouldn't own anything but an annoying self propelled. I am not young and have been mowing lawns longer than most here have been alive but what the JESUS FUCKING CHRIST do I know?
Funny thing is I actually bought my gas powered weed eater from you many years back. Still works great! Too me the gas powered ones are great for big jobs like cutting down a large area of weeds, but overkill for small jobs like getting the edges on a lawn that the mower couldn’t get to. I used the one with the cord for a long time for the lawn, but then years later when that one died I looked into the lithium powered weed eaters that others told me about and ended up getting one since I noticed I spent as much time pulling the extension cord out and rolling it back up than I did weed eating the small areas around my lawn.

So basically my point was that even though someone may be set on one certain way, it is always good to listen to others experiences too because there is always someone that may be more experienced in the area. I can’t even count how many times I have cut that lawn and been through all of this.

For fun: owned house 14 years now. Sometimes I do it every weekend, but let’s say three times a month I mow. 14x9 (9 months since don't mow in winter)=126 months; 168 months x 3 times a month = 378. So rough estimate I have mowed (just this house; not including as a kid) 378 times. Seems to me that is a bit more experience than a new home owner. So damn, if Bueller told me he peed on his lawn once a month and it worked great I’d probably try it since he has been mowing even longer than me :lol:

mdub
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I have a Snapper for 9 yrs. sharpened blade once. Only maintenance to it. Lil pricey but obviously worth it.

salsashark
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:08 AM
So back to the weed eater question... have any of you replaced the plastic line spool w/ one of those blade setups? I was looking into doing this after getting cut a couple of weeks ago when the line came off the spool and uncoiled on me.

bulldog
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:24 AM
So back to the weed eater question... have any of you replaced the plastic line spool w/ one of those blade setups? I was looking into doing this after getting cut a couple of weeks ago when the line came off the spool and uncoiled on me. Good question. I always debated this too, but was afraid I would buy one and break the blade right away. I'd assume they don't break easily, so curious too.

I've bought the generic line and re-rolled it myself. Was cheaper, but seemed to get tangled in the spool easier. Went back to just buying the repacement line meant for the weed eater.

salsashark
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:37 AM
^^ I've got an electric eater and I did the same thing. Re-rolled the line and it popped off. Stung like a Mutha...

So, this thread got me curious about possibly pitching that weadeater and getting an eater/edger w/ a blade attachment instead of string.

bulldog
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:48 AM
^^ I've got an electric eater and I did the same thing. Re-rolled the line and it popped off. Stung like a Mutha...

So, this thread got me curious about possibly pitching that weadeater and getting an eater/edger w/ a blade attachment instead of string. This may be a option for us salsa

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpower-1101PT-PivoTrim-Trimmer-095-Inch/dp/B001AHAJXK

another

http://www.amazon.com/Aero-Flex-More-Universal-Replacement-Trimmer/dp/B003NFV97C/ref=pd_sbs_lg_4

Aaron
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Funny thing is I actually bought my gas powered weed eater from you many years back. Still works great! Too me the gas powered ones are great for big jobs like cutting down a large area of weeds, but overkill for small jobs like getting the edges on a lawn that the mower couldn’t get to.

That's why I asked for the advice in this thread, but moreso to get people's experiences with different brands. Just because this is my first house doesn't mean I haven't been weed eating for 15 years. I've used gas and electric weed eaters, and mostly agree with your reasons.

I liked the electric, but it lacked power. And I don't want batteries, because I don't want to stop mid-job. And sure I can put in a new battery, but how many extras will I need? And then I'll need to replace them all after a year or 2. Easier to add gas. Plus if my neighbor ever pisses me off, it's another tool to add to the arsenal at 3 am.

You just hit one of the biggest reasons I specified a gas weed eater though, large areas and thick grass/weeds. My parents live on over an acre, and they weed eat the entire thing. I'm sure mine will be borrowed often enough to justify needing it. And while my yard is a quarter that size, there's still a lot of trimming to do.

bulldog
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 10:01 AM
That's why I asked for the advice in this thread, but moreso to get people's experiences with different brands. Just because this is my first house doesn't mean I haven't been weed eating for 15 years. I've used gas and electric weed eaters, and mostly agree with your reasons.

I liked the electric, but it lacked power. And I don't want batteries, because I don't want to stop mid-job. And sure I can put in a new battery, but how many extras will I need? And then I'll need to replace them all after a year or 2. Easier to add gas. Plus if my neighbor ever pisses me off, it's another tool to add to the arsenal at 3 am.

You just hit one of the biggest reasons I specified a gas weed eater though, large areas and thick grass/weeds. My parents live on over an acre, and they weed eat the entire thing. I'm sure mine will be borrowed often enough to justify needing it. And while my yard is a quarter that size, there's still a lot of trimming to do. Well guess what I was saying is that the newer electric weed eaters are better nowadays because battery technology has advanced. Mine stays charged for many uses and I never have had to get a new battery. Just look at power tools and how so many of the cordless are actually worth buying again because of these better batteries. I agree though for big jobs get a gas powered. I love mine, but the 2 stroke can be a b*tch to start sometimes, but when it gets going watch out...

Aaron
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I'm worried about the difficulty starting, but the reviews seemed to discount the. It had auto-choke, and a spring loaded start assist. We'll see how it works..

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 10:10 AM
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/OUTDOOR_PRODUCTS/TOOLS/MAIN/1/LST136_1.jpg

I have this and it kicks a$$

36V Lithium High Performance String Trimmer with Power Command (http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LST136.aspx)

bulldog
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.blackanddecker.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/BDK/OUTDOOR_PRODUCTS/TOOLS/MAIN/1/LST136_1.jpg

I have this and it kicks a$$

36V Lithium High Performance String Trimmer with Power Command (http://www.blackanddecker.com/outdoor/LST136.aspx) Yup, lithium changed the game for batteries :up:

Aaron
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Lithium did, but they still wear out over time. My iPhone used to last 2-3 days about a year ago, now it only goes a day and I'm sure in a year I'll need it to be on the charger all the time.

modette99
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have an industrial Stihl but its overkill and loud. For fathers day two years ago my wife ordered me a Workx GT and I have to say its the best yard machine I have ever owned.

I know you said no to battery powered but I ordered an extra battery and have had 0 problems with its life and power. The biggest bonus is that it turns into an edger and literally makes my yard look a million times better than everyone elses.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/worx.jpg

That is the one we got...

modette99
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
So back to the weed eater question... have any of you replaced the plastic line spool w/ one of those blade setups? I was looking into doing this after getting cut a couple of weeks ago when the line came off the spool and uncoiled on me.

I think I mentioned I did *shrug*

But its for brush really you would not want to get close to the house, fence and other very hard surfaces.

salsashark
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 12:19 PM
^^ That's what I get for breezing through some of the threads... Once the mindless crap starts I tune out.

Sounds like it's not ideal for my uses...

Grant H.
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM
I think I mentioned I did *shrug*

But its for brush really you would not want to get close to the house, fence and other very hard surfaces.

Blades or chains are not for yards. They are for clearing large areas with stout stalked weeds.

Plastic line is the best for 99% of all Weed-eater users.