PDA

View Full Version : High Park Fire

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 06:58 PM
I don't know if anyone here has realized this, but this fire is taking out the scenery along 3 very scenic and beautiful (twisty) roads...

Rist Canyon
Stove Prairie
hwy14 aka Poudre Canyon

I know I don't live up north anymore, but when I started riding, I would twist the throttle on those roads religiously. It's really hard to consider that the scenery will be all black now...and for years to come.

A detailed, zoomable map... (http://www.co.larimer.co.us/emergency/HighPark_0611_2200.pdf)

Matty
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 07:49 PM
I wonder what's going to be left after its all said and done...

mtnairlover
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Not a whole lot of anything.

I guess I shouldn't have been so selfish in my first post, but looking at the map and listening to news stories, I know that over 100 structures have been burned as well...many of them homes for people and animals alike.

Anyway...I know it's nature, but that still doesn't lessen the initial shock or the amount of loss that people who live there feel. My feelings of loss are nothing in comparison.

Cornfed
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
4 of us came through Poudre Canyon a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed the ride. Ive been thinking about what will be left.

Clovis
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Ditto, Poudre Canyon is one of my favorites. I ride it when I go to visit the in laws with my wife (she takes I-25 and I take the back roads). I hope it's still rideable once the fire is contained!

4 of us came through Poudre Canyon a couple weeks ago and really enjoyed the ride. Ive been thinking about what will be left.

Ghosty
Tue Jun 12th, 2012, 11:14 PM
It's really hard to consider that the scenery will be all black now...and for years to come.
Got a taste of that riding down from PineJunction to Deckers Saturday, ugh. A series of road signs saying: "See what ONE campfire did to your beloved forest?" Very sad! Hope for the best for those families with homes left up there.

:(

Lomax
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Very sad what is happening up there.

We rode to Steamboat and back via Poudre canyon last Saturday and got down before they closed highway 14. Highway 14 had a LOT of tar snakes and was very slick.

I hope they get it under control very soon.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/lomaxcm/Blake/P6090013.jpg

Marc

Dr. Joe Siphek
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Got a taste of that riding down from PineJunction to Deckers Saturday, ugh. A series of road signs saying: "See what ONE campfire did to your beloved forest?" Very sad! Hope for the best for those families with homes left up there.

:(that's such a stupid sign...the haymen fire was started by a crazy lady burning love letters or something...not a campfire.

asp_125
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Small consolation I know, but at least this one was lightning caused.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:23 AM
And the High Park Fire was started by lighting. The only negative aspect currently is the response time documented by the Larimer County SO might show negligence in attention to the matter. We shall see .........

Zach929rr
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Sucks living in a semi-arid state like Colorado sometimes. Years and years of dead pine and aspen doesn't have much else to do but burn off every 5 to 10 years.

Ghosty
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 01:24 PM
that's such a stupid sign...the haymen fire was started by a crazy lady burning love letters or something...not a campfire.
Oh, that wasn't talking about the North Fork fire? I thought one of the big fires in the last few years was caused by a single campfire.

I know about the Hayman debacle, that stupid bitch should've been executed.

Jmetz
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 01:31 PM
No that area is the Hayman burn.

kawasakirob
Wed Jun 13th, 2012, 05:04 PM
that's such a stupid sign...the haymen fire was started by a crazy lady burning love letters or something...not a campfire.

And she worked for the USFS. Found that out when we did work on the Pike N.F. awhile back.

thankgod
Thu Jun 14th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I say just let it burn...I was around that area earlier today, It's mostly beetle kill anyways....Stop spending money on resources and just let it burn....It's Mother Nature taking a stab at equality....Destroy to re-create.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Thu Jun 14th, 2012, 08:24 PM
Yes it is sad and it is going to happen. The beetle kill outside of Kremlin and along the Colorado river, when that fire starts...will not stop either.
The sad part for me is 2 of my friends have spent 10 years building their own houses on the Poudre River on the section called the Bridges run. Ben's house is the art deco house on the 3rd bridge and Johns has the modern stretched canoply tops on the 5th bridge. We were just up there kayaking last month and I have one of my AIRE rafts setting up there too. Maybe gone now too?:cry:

BC14
Thu Jun 14th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Along with all the people struggling to save their homes, the Mishawaka Amphitheatre is very close to being taken by the fire. I really hope they are able to save them, as they are a pretty cool stop for lunch on the Poudre. This area is going to be changed forever by this fire, regardless.

tstevens
Sat Jun 16th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Fire has been nuts, had some nasty smoke in Greeley the other day. Seems the smoke has calmed down a ton but from what I have heard the fire is still far from calming down, even at 20% containment...

PunyJuney
Sat Jun 16th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Along with all the people struggling to save their homes, the Mishawaka Amphitheatre is very close to being taken by the fire. I really hope they are able to save them, as they are a pretty cool stop for lunch on the Poudre. This area is going to be changed forever by this fire, regardless.

no, not the Mish! We need lunch. I always wished there were more gas stations up there, now I think it's a good thing.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jun 17th, 2012, 12:17 AM
Update

http://larimer.org/news/newsDetail.cfm?id=1560

OUTLAWD
Wed Jun 20th, 2012, 06:05 AM
this is no bueno :(
Thanks for the update N_N

grim
Wed Jun 20th, 2012, 07:46 AM
So much for Poudre Canyon looking beautiful while riding through it.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Wow! Thanks for the links guys, especially the map. Besides people's homes, I HOPE the school on Stove Prarie Rd at the end of Rist Canyon has been spared.

jrthomas6
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Anyone know where there ate donation sites? Have clothes and other items to drop off.

Cat118!
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Anyone know where there ate donation sites? Have clothes and other items to drop off.
checl out www.helpcoloradonow.org (http://www.helpcoloradonow.org)

asp_125
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
http://kdvr.com/2012/06/27/how-to-donate-to-the-wildfire-relief-effort/ (http://kdvr.com/2012/06/27/how-to-donate-to-the-wildfire-relief-effort/)