PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Powersports 104th

Lewis2280
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:24 AM
I have used Colorado Powersports for three months now and have nothing but headaches and empty pockets. They seem to lose alot of parts and happen to leave parts unplugged. Does anybody have any happy endings,service wise with them? Sorry just had to vent to someone :x I hate them :guns: :321: Oh and thanks in advance for the responses! :D

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 10:58 AM
I have used Colorado Powersports for three months now and have nothing but headaches and empty pockets. They seem to lose alot of parts and happen to leave parts unplugged. Does anybody have any happy endings,service wise with them? Sorry just had to vent to someone :x I hate them :guns: :321: Oh and thanks in advance for the responses! :D

Some of you have heard this rant before - At the end of 2003, Kim and I went in there and dropped over $35,000 on two 2004 quads and our 2003 R1 and R6, a two place trailer and some gear. They gave me the run-around on the gear saying that it was a different dept. and they can't give deals. Bull shit!!! The entire place is owned by one person - go get him and let him tell me I can't get a break on my helmets, then I'll just go buy these bikes somewhere else. We did eventually get a very, very small break. The very next day I go in and they didn't know who I was!! We haven't been back since!!

Oh yeah, they also gave us a ton of attitude because I wouldn't purchase the service package. They even claimed my warranty wouldn't be valid without it. They quickly backed down when I proved that I knew the law!!

R1chie
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:31 AM
I purchased my 04 R1 and my 04 YZ450 Co PowerSports in Denver.

On the R1, it was their second shipment and no one was discounting at the time. They threw in the helmet, gloves, a sprocket, some other stuff I wanted.

On the YZ450, it was end of season and the 05's had started shipping. They sold it to me for $4800+200 put together or shipping fee.

So they discounted for me both times. I will go there again, the people and manager were pretty nice but not very organized. But as with any place, they may not like the way you look, or in a bad mood or stock is low so you get no deal. That is why you shop around. I never had them do service they gave me pressure for the extended warranty but not more than best buy or a car dealership.

If you bought a motorcycle here in the Springs, you would quickly appreciate the competition in Denver, prices are better, in-stock is better, selection is better. Some dealerships in Denver suck. I had bad buying experiences with both Excel and Grand Prix but again you have to shop around, I would try both of these when buying a new bike.

Used bikes are more difficult, I don't trust any of them.

BlueDevil
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM
Ive had every problenm with them from damaged parts, lost keys, forgotten appointments, no oil in the bike after oil changes...... Ive given them the ben of the doubt multiple times. They fail every time. If U need something that comes in a pre packaged product and U absolutely cant find it some where else..... Maybe go there...Otherwise keep on walkin.

Anonymous
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 12:56 PM
no oil in the bike after oil changes......

:wtf: Say what? :shock:

That's, uh ... not good!

R1chie
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 01:16 PM
good to know!

~Barn~
Tue Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:33 PM
I remember talking to a kid named Jeremy in their Service Department that didn't seem overly bright. :dunno:

Their parts department isn't very top notch either. I order a couple spare key blanks from them and they said they'd call me when they come in, in about 5 days or so. I prepay.

Well me being me, I totally space it for like a month, and then call them and talk with the kid whose name is on my reciept and he has the nuts to tell me "Yeah.. they just came in today. I was about to call you".

I just started laughing, and said "Who do you think you're trying to kid here?" <laugh again> "Dork."

He hung up on me.

Lewis2280
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:17 AM
WOW some of these stories tell me a little story. I can't believe what some company's get away with and they seem to think this is not a problem. I mean really how in the f*#k do you forget oil. I would have just rip someones head off. No not really I am the same way I give them multiable opportunity's and it is always the same result. It is also funny that Jeremy is mentioned because he is the one I always deal with and can never answer any question I ask I had the same feelings Barn. Has anyone had the great opportunity to talk to Jeff Stevens the service manager he is worthless. Well I appreciate the responses and sorry to hear about some of your stories.

Anonymous
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:31 AM
And stories like these are exactly why I own the service manual and do the work myself. If you can follow diagrams and read instructions thoroughly, you can do just about anything on a bike yourself with a decent set of tools. When I got my first bike I didn't know how to do much else than change the oil and plugs. Now I can do pretty much ... whatever.

If I have to take it somewhere to get worked on, it goes to TK Motorsports on 8th/I-25.

R1chie
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 10:42 AM
And stories like these are exactly why I own the service manual and do the work myself. If you can follow diagrams and read instructions thoroughly, you can do just about anything on a bike yourself with a decent set of tools. When I got my first bike I didn't know how to do much else than change the oil and plugs. Now I can do pretty much ... whatever.

If I have to take it somewhere to get worked on, it goes to TK Motorsports on 8th/I-25.

But what if you a lazy and don't want to do it. Are you available Ralphie to do a radiator flush for my R1 for a reasonable price? :)

BlueDevil
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:10 PM

Ill ditto that. Anything I cant or dont want to tackle myself goes to TK..... Service manual = Best way to use 500 pages of paper I can think of :lol:

Anonymous
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:47 PM
Even better - get your service manual on PDF! You can zoom in on those pictures, copy part numbers for use in ordering or looking stuff up, etc. I keep a printout for writing notes in, but use the electronic version so much I have even considered dedicating an old PC to the garage just so I have it there.

Also make extensive use of online microfiche, from places like Ron Ayers. You can find full exploded parts diagrams, they are money when you can't remember where that piece goes!

swademaster
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 03:52 PM
CO Powersports sucks donkey dick!!!!

I will never step foot in that place again. They couldn't fix my bike worth a shit and they could give me a correct answer to what was wrong. I asked to talk to the GM and the parts manager got mad as hell that I wanted to talk to someone above him.

Go to TK and they will take care of you.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:10 PM
Go to TK and they will take care of you.

They took care of me - charged me $30 deposite on fuel and will only give me $10 back as in-store credit.

Anyone need a 15 gal. VP drum, $20? This would save you $10 on the deposite and you would only lose $10, instead of $20, when you return it. Otherwise, it's gonna become a $30 trash can

...let the flaming begin!!

Anonymous
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 04:21 PM
Dean, what are you talking about? I am confused. Did you buy gas, or a fuel drum, or "rent" the stuff, or what? Not getting what you're talking about.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:31 PM
Dean, what are you talking about? I am confused. Did you buy gas, or a fuel drum, or "rent" the stuff, or what? Not getting what you're talking about.

I bought a 15 gal. drum of VP U4 and was charged an extra $30. I was told it was a deposite because the drums weren't being returned. When I went to return the drum, I was told I could only get back $10 as in-store credit. The drum was not new and was pulled from a storage shed and is marked M1 and has a little rust on the outside. So, I'm wondering why I was even charged a deposit in the first place.

Anonymous
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:40 PM
:wtf:

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 05:43 PM
:wtf:

Yeah, no shit!!!!

brian38
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:12 PM

I bought a 15 gal. drum of VP U4 and was charged an extra $30. I was told it was a deposite because the drums weren't being returned. When I went to return the drum, I was told I could only get back $10 as in-store credit. The drum was not new and was pulled from a storage shed and is marked M1 and has a little rust on the outside. So, I'm wondering why I was even charged a deposit in the first place.

Wow! The stuff I can do to annoy someone!

1st off sorry for the confusion, you did not pay $30 more you paid the price for a 15gal drum of U4. We are now explaining the higher cost as what it is, a "Drum Charge". At the time you bought the fuel and drum we were still calling them deposits. Previously we were doing that but got caught out on too many drums returned with garbage in them. With the increases in our costs on drums and what we get back when we send them back we found it appropriate to go to this policy. Sorry you got caught out in the middle of it. And I would have been happy to give you your $10 bucks there was NOTHING ever said about an in store credit. I will still give you the $10 for the drum :-)

Sorry for the hi-jack!

Brian

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:43 PM
Wow! The stuff I can do to annoy someone!

1st off sorry for the confusion, you did not pay $30 more you paid the price for a 15gal drum of U4. We are now explaining the higher cost as what it is, a "Drum Charge". At the time you bought the fuel and drum we were still calling them deposits. Previously we were doing that but got caught out on too many drums returned with garbage in them. With the increases in our costs on drums and what we get back when we send them back we found it appropriate to go to this policy. Sorry you got caught out in the middle of it. And I would have been happy to give you your $10 bucks there was NOTHING ever said about an in store credit. I will still give you the $10 for the drum :-)

Sorry for the hi-jack!

Brian

For me, it's very, very simple. You said it was a deposite and when I went to return it you said $10 in-store credit. So, I left with my drum. I love how the story ALWAYS changes!! It's not my fault if you can't remember what you told me.

Do you remember telling me to go to a performance shop to get heat shield? I asked for you to let me know when you got some several times and you said, "no" you stock it anyway. Then, at CDR you said you had some and I told you I went to the shop that you suggested. I then got bitched out for not letting you know. You set the situation. Again, not my fault if you can't remember what you tell people.

Next...

bentzing
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 06:44 PM
I've actually bought 2 bikes from Colorado Powersports. One in the Castle Rock store and one in the Boulder store before they moved. However, I brought my 2004 R1 in for a problem. If I'm cruising at about 42 mph in 2nd, and crack the throttle it bogs down and hardly moves. It gets really quiet and almost seems dead until I roll off. I took it to them because it was still under the 1 year warranty. They tried to tell me that it was just a dirty air filter. I wanted a K&N anyway so I told them to put it in. But I checked the air filter before I brought it to them, and it wasn't that bad. Bike only had 2000 miles on it. I'm driving it home and it does the same thing. Don't you think they would have checked it before they put it out. I took it right back that same day. They had it almost 5 days and the best answer they can come up with is ......"uh, it's a glitch in the fuel injection system". Well no shit!!! They even tried to say that because I didn't buy the maintenance package, they have to record as to how it was maintained. I heard that and brought in all of my reciepts for oil changes and injector synchro's that I had done. They're just a bunch of idiots that know dick about working on bikes. They wanted to charge me something like $80 for the labor, on a problem that they didn't even fix. As an update the problem is still there and I even called Yamaha to get some answers. If anyone else has the 2004/2005 R1 and this has happened to them, let me know what you did to fix it. The bike is stock except for the air filter.

bentzing
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 07:14 PM
And just to clarify, they told me that there would be no charge if they found a manufacturer defect or if they found nothing wrong

derekm
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:51 PM
With out too much of a plug here, I would recomend Coyote Yamaha to every Yamaha owner and to all power sports enthusiest.

derekm
Wed Aug 3rd, 2005, 11:53 PM
I've actually bought 2 bikes from Colorado Powersports. One in the Castle Rock store and one in the Boulder store before they moved. However, I brought my 2004 R1 in for a problem. If I'm cruising at about 42 mph in 2nd, and crack the throttle it bogs down and hardly moves. It gets really quiet and almost seems dead until I roll off. I took it to them because it was still under the 1 year warranty. They tried to tell me that it was just a dirty air filter. I wanted a K&N anyway so I told them to put it in. But I checked the air filter before I brought it to them, and it wasn't that bad. Bike only had 2000 miles on it. I'm driving it home and it does the same thing. Don't you think they would have checked it before they put it out. I took it right back that same day. They had it almost 5 days and the best answer they can come up with is ......"uh, it's a glitch in the fuel injection system". Well no shit!!! They even tried to say that because I didn't buy the maintenance package, they have to record as to how it was maintained. I heard that and brought in all of my reciepts for oil changes and injector synchro's that I had done. They're just a bunch of idiots that know dick about working on bikes. They wanted to charge me something like $80 for the labor, on a problem that they didn't even fix. As an update the problem is still there and I even called Yamaha to get some answers. If anyone else has the 2004/2005 R1 and this has happened to them, let me know what you did to fix it. The bike is stock except for the air filter.I believe we may have fixxed a simular problem in Tim F's 05 R1. Call 303.283.9000 ask for jack , describe the problem and let him know Derek said he might be able to help

~Barn~
Thu Aug 4th, 2005, 01:13 AM
With out too much of a plug here, I would recomend Coyote Yamaha to every Yamaha owner and to all power sports enthusiest.

Coyote sure did seem like it might be a good shop, but they totally lost all cred with me, when I was buying my R1...

I wasn't even trying to nickle and dime them either, but the goofy sales manager was telling me that they were selling '04 R1's for $14,999.

Thats's right. FIFTEEN THOUSAND dollars for a 2004 R1. Now granted they were brand new and you had to be "on the list" to get to one at the time, but 15K! :wtf:

I ended up buying one from CO-Pow in Castle Rock. Got it for MSRP, and didn't pay any freight or setup. :up:

15 thou... :spit:

BlueDevil
Thu Aug 4th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Coyote isnt bad as long as U dont have to order any parts.....and U dont mind paying full retail. Takes them forever to get them, and they wont even call U when it comes in. U have to keep calling and check in on it. But there is a guy at the parts counter whos name escapes me right now, but he always treats me well. If they got it in stock Im in and out in minutes.

Of any shop I have ever been to, TK has outdone all of them. Many times in a pinch they saved my a$$. In addition to that, for a shop to call me by my name when I come in is just plain good biz. Every company has misunderstandings and cant always make every customer happy, but its not to much to ask that they try. CO Powersports could care less.

1ofTheBoys
Thu Aug 4th, 2005, 06:28 AM
Of any shop I have ever been to, TK has outdone all of them. Many times in a pinch they saved my a$$. In addition to that, for a shop to call me by my name when I come in is just plain good biz. Every company has misunderstandings and cant always make every customer happy, but its not to much to ask that they try. CO Powersports could care less.
I agree that TK alway's seems to outdo any of the other shops I have taken my bikes to. I call them on the phone and they know who I am. I have never had to take my bike back for the same problem.

Lewis2280
Thu Aug 4th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I am glad to hear people feel the same about Colorado Powersports as I do. Just remember to spread the word to everyone you know I just hate the fact that they can do this and stay in business. No I am not bitter! :cry: Anyways thanks for all the great responses and I will be checking out TK when I have my next repair.

bentzing
Thu Aug 4th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Coyote is pretty good. One of the owners who's name I can't remember right now (drives or used to drive a champagne GMC sierra) is really cool. I think his name is Dave. I did some business with him in the past and he's a pretty respectable guy. However, the only gripe that I have is with Jack at the parts and service counter. I only remember him because I bought a 2001 R1 at the old Boulder CO-Powersports and he tried to tell me that my old bike was such a piece of shit (98 Ninja ZX-6R) it really got under my skin. Regardless, it was my first bike and I loved it. I thought he was arrogant 3 years ago. Then, his face popped up at the 104th store and we had a little run in there. This guy just won't go away. Finally, when Coyote opened my brother and I went in there to check it out. He's just very arrogant,

GDrider
Sat Aug 6th, 2005, 08:27 PM
That place sucks! so here is my story which will be repeated as soon as they fix this and i actually get the bike back.

As most of you know my bike recently had the engine go out and i took it in for service. So after 6 weeks of sitting there they actually get it (fixed) and get it back to me.

Ok, so here is the deal. I just got the bike back from Powersports on 104th.

The total price to fix it was $2473.81

Basically they replaced most parts in the engine, they said a rod bearing failed. The major parts replaced were the crankshaft and bearings.

So SEP (which is the extened warranty through Suzuki) paid for all repairs. That was the good news.

So here i am all happy to have my bike back and i decide to take it out for its first break-in ride, as it really is like a new engine, so me and some buddies take 36 north and decide to go up to estes today.

Well after about 20 miles my buddy signals for me to pull over, and thank god he did!!! The entire rear of my bike is covered in oil! oil is just everywhere! I check the oil drain bolt and it is litereally ready to fall out, as it is not even hand tight, just woblly on there. So i take out the toolkit and tighten that up, hoping thats the only problem. So we pull over to a carwash and i spray the whole bike down to get rid of the oil and look for more leaks...Well sure enough the entire engine is leaking while the motor is on, maybe seals or loose bolts, who knows?

So now oil is just pouring out of my bike as i ride, and i actually have to pull over and have it towed home!!! And to make matters worse, the oil got all over my new seat covers.

So now i got my bike back, but have to take it back to Powersports for them to fix all there F%*#-ups! I sprayed the biek down to clear the oil and the pressure took off a chunk of paint on the rear undertail, so that has to be repainted as well. But it sucks because it never would have happened if all this oil wouldn't have went everywhere, so i am going to demand for them to pay for the repaint cost...

I am just so dissapointed in the quality of work that shops provide. Its very disheartening.

What in the hell do those technicians get paid so much for? We are just damn lucky that manufacturers actually put together most bikes at the plants, otherwise most of us would be in much worse shape..

Anonymous
Sat Aug 6th, 2005, 08:52 PM
Dude, that sucks! To have all that work done, and still have it be screwed up. :no: Hopefully they won't have to take the motor apart again just to re-seal it. I am curious, did they even run it? How long was it after they finished it, before you took it home?

You're lucky you were with someone else. Could have oiled up the tire, or starved the motor and thrown more bearings out. Too bad you have to take it to that shop to fix it, but I'd check it over *real good* when you get it back to make sure they didn't do anything else wrong. You might even let it warm up in their parking lot, just in case, and ride around that neighborhood for a little while on the off chance it has to go back for try #3.

GDrider
Sat Aug 6th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, i am jsut glad someone saw it and i was able to pull over and stuff. Oh trust me, that tire is completely covered in oil. I am just glad we caught it, could you imagine had we made it to the canyons and i took a turn, it would have definately slid out from under me....I barely made it as it was, as i was sliding all over the road, and it didnt even feel like i had back brakes, probably because of aall the oil on the pads and disc and stuff, because i would apply the brake and it really didnt do anything, do you think this is something i should have them look at and replace? I mean can the break bads be dammaged? Or do they just need to be cleaned? And what about the tire? it was a brand new tire with only about 150 miles on it.

They said they ran it and even drove around the block, but who knows.

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Aug 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM
The techs at the dealers are just like the dip shits behind the counter at any Checker or AutoZone. ASE certified my ass. None of them do the job technically correct. Hell, my wife even knows more than they do just from watching me work on our stuff. Kim did a complete rebuild on my '89 FZR. She split the case and everything and not one thing leaked or ticked. Ask any of those numb nuts to draw any part of the engine and how it works. They can't do it!!! Ask 'em what PlastiGuage is and if they know, they won't know how to use it. I have yet to meet an auto or bike tech that really knows what they are doing!!

Buddau
Sun Aug 7th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Yeah, i am jsut glad someone saw it and i was able to pull over and stuff. Oh trust me, that tire is completely covered in oil. I am just glad we caught it, could you imagine had we made it to the canyons and i took a turn, it would have definately slid out from under me....I barely made it as it was, as i was sliding all over the road, and it didnt even feel like i had back brakes, probably because of aall the oil on the pads and disc and stuff, because i would apply the brake and it really didnt do anything, do you think this is something i should have them look at and replace? I mean can the break bads be dammaged? Or do they just need to be cleaned? And what about the tire? it was a brand new tire with only about 150 miles on it.

They said they ran it and even drove around the block, but who knows.

After being oil soaked, the brake pads are done! Throw them away. The rotor will clean up. As for the tire being soaked in oil, it may clean up OK. But for the track, I would not trust it. I would replace it.

Mojojojo
Wed Aug 10th, 2005, 07:14 PM
Any shop with the word PowerSport most likey would rather kill you than help you. I bought a tire from them and it was greased up ridiculous, spun out and almost dropped my bike(trust me, my old yzf doesn't get crazy unless you try REAL hard...) oddly enough the staff seemed to be waiting outside watching when I took off. I've never heard anything good about them at any location either way.

Bueller
Wed Aug 10th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Any shop with the word PowerSport most likey would rather kill you than help you. I bought a tire from them and it was greased up ridiculous, spun out and almost dropped my bike(trust me, my old yzf doesn't get crazy unless you try REAL hard...) oddly enough the staff seemed to be waiting outside watching when I took off. I've never heard anything good about them at any location either way.

Every new tire is extremely slick before it is scrubbed in, they should have probably informed you about breakin in new tires but that is very common, and not an attempt on your life.

Mojojojo
Thu Aug 11th, 2005, 01:28 AM
I undersand a new tire can be slick , but this really was more like trying to sell out a newbey than a legit sale........ rather than a legit sale. I work on a level that, say hey, my work may or may not suck, but that situation was down right drty.
I grew up on a farm where i would sell my 250cc go kart but you can damn well excpect me to make it work if the piston blew!!!!(whichit did twice) ! I just have a hard timme finding that dedication to a 2 wheel machine in the Demver area. Give me a mechanic that I can trust, and I will happilliy tell them I am a newby to this sport that makes me smile every time my front wheel leaves the ground!!

HEy, bye the way, the mechanic I trust is mamed (sorry mean named) is a cat at sun honda. Sure I ride a 97 yzfr, but thank you at sun for giving me hope there is a big corp, that really doesen't suck, and will fix a bike because a few of ya isn't a soleless bastastad.

..PS- Rex oughta kill me, but thank you I can trust a human that touches my old YZF.

....So yes, from am igorant newby (but hey, i'd like to know how to grow the balls to do a reall wheelie)
NONe the les (crap that doesn't really make sense does it... (mojo)) Please don'nt trust Powersports- they are a bunch a fuches! even from a dumbass newbiter.....