PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOL WON'T ALLOW KIDS AT FIELD DAY TO USE SUN SCREEN!!

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:26 AM
Jesse Michener is upset with Point Defiance Elementary School in Tacoma, Washington . . . because they let two of her daughters get severely sunburned.

http://www.ks1075.com/Pics/1%20Morning%20Show%20Pics/JUNE2012/sunburned%20kid.jpg

The school had a field day on Tuesday. Students spent most of the day outside, but school policy prevented the kids from getting any protection from the SUN.
Teachers aren't allowed to put sunscreen on students, and students aren't allowed to put it on themselves . . . unless they have a NOTE from their DOCTOR. Parents are supposed to put sunscreen on the kids before sending them to school.
The thing is, one of the girls already HAD a note from the doctor. It didn't give her permission to use sunscreen, but it documented the fact that she had a type of albinism.
The girls ended up getting burned so badly on their faces and arms that they had to go to the hospital that night and miss school the next day.

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
This BS at schools is getting out of hand when you can't even use simple commone sense. We really can't allow a kid to put on sun screen! WTF, do we think there are secrect street drugs in there the kids have developed. So stupid and schools are taking things way too far....

Wrider
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
When I was in daycare, we had a field trip to the water park just below Pueblo Reservoir dam. When I got home, I had blisters because my 4 year old self didn't realize I needed to put on sunscreen, and none of the chaperones put it on anyway.

When will the stupidity end with not being allowed to pop an aspirin, or use sunscreen, or whatever?

dirkterrell
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:36 AM
http://www.kpic.com/news/local/Mom-upset-about-students-sunburn-at-Wash-school-field-day-159811965.html

This is an example of how the fear of lawsuits and lack of personal responsibility has destroyed common sense in this country.

tecknojoe
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:45 AM
What the fuck happened to discression in this country?

and I don't give a fuck if I can't spell discression :lol:

Ghosty
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:52 AM
Common sense has been thrown out the window long ago. All thanks to 9/11, school shootings, and overly-sensitive minorities complaining about political correctness because of a giant chip on their shoulder which many refuse to get rid of, or acknowledge that we've come lightyears away from needing these kinds of controls like we did in the 50's/60's obviously it's fucking the TWENTY FIRST CENTURY for God's sake, GROW A SPINE PEOPLE! Elementary kids aren't stabbing each other and popping qualudes in class. And IF they are, treat it on a case-by-case basis, and fucking USE COMMON SENSE IDIOTS! If I was the parents I'd sue for negligence!!!

*nice run-on sentence in a huff*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/soapbox.gif

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.kpic.com/news/local/Mom-upset-about-students-sunburn-at-Wash-school-field-day-159811965.html

This is an example of how the fear of lawsuits and lack of personal responsibility has destroyed common sense in this country.

From the article:

Tacoma Public Schools policy prohibits teachers from putting sunscreen on students. Students can apply their own, but are required to have a doctor's note authorizing them to use it.

Really! So now we need to bother a doctor or go pay for a office visit to ask for a doctor's note for a kid to use sunscreen! Such BS and waste of a doctors time...

District spokesman Dan Voelpel says the doctor's note policy is actually based on a statewide law, and is aimed at preventing kids from sharing sunscreen with someone who might have an allergy. He says there are many students in the district with allergies to common additives in sunscreens and lotions.

Ok, so kids also have allergies to certain foods, so should we get a doctors note for them to eat their lunch! If anything make it where you can't share suncreen, but even that is kind of dumb since I bet maybe 1% of people are allergic to a sunscreen. Worse comes to worse, don't let the kid in the sun teachers; you are the adults in the situations who should make the smarter choice. No instead let them burn and get melenoma...

Ghosty
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 09:48 AM
I've never even heard of someone being allergic to sunscreen, lol! But ok so they're trying to justify it with logic to protect that .0001% that have allergies and being kids, they might go will-nilly with sunscreen on everyone. Again, trumps common sense, imo.

And why would any parent let their kid go to school without the kid knowing they're allergic?! Obviously the kid should already know and smart enough to avoid it!

Filo
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:00 AM
I have a friend who is allergic to sunscreen. Has to buy some pricey, special product.

As far as the policy - you can thank the lawyers for this one. The school my kids go to is the same way; nothing at all without a Dr's note. The justification is that if something happens the lawyers come in and sue the school district, then a bunch of brain dead jurors award the "victim" millions. It is the litigation lottery! You can't win if you don't play. It is the (new) American way.

asp_125
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Like they say, common sense ain't so common anymore.

Matrix
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
Why didn't the parents just put it on them before they went to school? Didn't they know their pale ass kid was going to field day? :slap:

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
Why didn't the parents just put it on them before they went to school? Didn't they know their pale ass kid was going to field day? :slap: I guess they can, but as far as I know the stuff has to put reapllied every few hours to be effective

Wrider
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Why didn't the parents just put it on them before they went to school? Didn't they know their pale ass kid was going to field day? :slap:

Read more...
Weather = rainy/cloudy when kids left for school.

Also:
Must be reapplied midday to be any kind of useful.

#1Townie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
I've had worse sunburns. Sounds like tter parents need to chill and the school needs to grow a pair. I blame hippies.

Wrider
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:59 AM
I've had worse sunburns. Sounds like tter parents need to chill and the school needs to grow a pair. I blame hippies.

And lawyers...

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
I've had worse sunburns. Sounds like tter parents need to chill and the school needs to grow a pair. I blame hippies. I think the major concern with this girl is she has albinism, so sunburn could be worse for her and have more risks. The teachers knew she had it too because she had a doctor's note for that, just not for sunscreen

grim
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
People are stupid what else is there to say?

big53lee
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
What the fuck happened to discression in this country?

and I don't give a fuck if I can't spell discression :lol:

Dont let jmetz see you spelling words wrong bro. Lok

#1Townie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:22 AM
And lawyers...
Blood sucking bastards!!!

I think the major concern with this girl is she has albinism, so sunburn could be worse for her and have more risks. The teachers knew she had it too because she had a doctor's note for that, just not for sunscreen
Wouldn't that fall on the parents? I'm really not trying to be a dick. I dont blame teachers for not doing shit. Look at all the dumass shit that people get sued for now days.

Airreed
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:25 AM
It's the fear of lawsuits....everywhere you go its "cover your ass"...we have a neighbor with a big trampoline and she had all the kids parents sign a waiver if they wanted to jump on it...I'd probably do the same too...

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Blood sucking bastards!!!

Wouldn't that fall on the parents? I'm really not trying to be a dick. I dont blame teachers for not doing shit. Look at all the dumass shit that people get sued for now days.

Read more...
Weather = rainy/cloudy when kids left for school.

Also:
Must be reapplied midday to be any kind of useful. ^See Wrider's post...

#1Townie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:41 AM
I would have bought that excuse if it want for the simple fact of technology. Everyone had weather apps on their phones. The parent that has a albino kid sure the hell does. not to mention its a out door field trip. Thats like sending your kid to a peanut butter factory when they have nut allergies. Just saying personal responsibility had gone out the window with common sense.

Matty
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Katie went to our daughters field day last week and brought some of that sunscreen spray. No need for human to human contact. She sprayed down some of the other kids and everything was fine.

Matrix
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:48 AM
I would have bought that excuse if it want for the simple fact of technology. Everyone had weather apps on their phones. The parent that has a albino kid sure the hell does. not to mention its a out door field trip. Thats like sending your kid to a peanut butter factory when they have nut allergies. Just saying personal responsibility had gone out the window with common sense.

+1 Plenty of stupidity to go around here but most of it falls to the parents in the end.

Ghost
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:57 AM
Katie went to our daughters field day last week and brought some of that sunscreen spray. No need for human to human contact. She sprayed down some of the other kids and everything was fine.

And it's the "bad touch" lawsuits that created most of these bans in the first place...

#1Townie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
Yrah everyone iso quick to jump to a lawsuit. my kid is fat. I walked up a freeway off ramp. My coffee was hot. Fucking people.

Jmetz
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
Dont let jmetz see you spelling words wrong bro. Lok

It's Don't and Jmetz and lol.

#1Townie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Damn you grammar nazi!

grim
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:24 PM
It's Don't and Jmetz and lol.

It's Don't, Jmetz, and lol.

Incorrect grammar Nazi was incorrect.

Ghost
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:26 PM

"It's 'don't', 'Jmetz', and lol."

salsashark
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM

This stuff is great... We used to have (and go through) bottles of it at the paintball field I helped run. It was amazing at how many parents don't think twice about sending their kid out all day without sunscreen.

I think we need to pass a law on an outright ban on lawyers...

grim
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
"It's 'don't', 'Jmetz', and lol."

What is? HA!!!!!!

Ghost
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
What is? HA!!!!!!

The closed quotes delineate the entirety of the sentence being quoted, thus, it is correct as written. ;)

Jmetz
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:18 PM

Actually it's spelling nazi as referred to by Lee, grammar was not in question.

Matrix
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
Here is a video you grammer nazi's will like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=32p8d6OudgU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=32p8d6OudgU)

Jmetz
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:47 PM
Mac Lethal!

#1Townie
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
Here is a video you grammer nazi's will like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=32p8d6OudgU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=32p8d6OudgU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj6QqCH7g0Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player