PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about switching to Direct TV....

Ezzzzy1
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
I know its been talked about before but with how fast things change I figured I fire up a new thread.

Two hotties knocked on the door the other day, and after they got my whole no soliciting speach I let them talk. They were from Centery Link.

What they were offering:
Choice Xtra package w/ 210 digital channels and internet for $80 for the first year and $120 for the second, both prices include tax and fees.

What I have now:
Comcast double play w/190 channels and internet for $171, includes tax and fees.

I guess my question is, is Direct good? What are people saying that have switched? What are the foreseeable ups and downs?

birchyboy
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:12 AM
I've heard good things about them, but they've always required a 2 year contract. If they would charge 10% more and knock off the contract requirement I'd have it over Comcast.

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
I recently switched to DirecTV and love it way more than Comcast! Biggest con is picture quality! So much better than Comcast's; especially if you have a good tv. Other thing I like over Comcast is you can have one DVR, but still watch and record the programs from others rooms! Last they get Fuel TV which is basicallt home for the UFC now. Even today you can watch the UFC prelims on that channel. Comcast has no plans to get it.

Not sure about Century link though. I kept my internet with Comcast and just threaten to cancel and they drop the monthly charge.

grim
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
I recently switched to DirecTV and love it way more than Comcast! Biggest con is picture quality! So much better than Comcast's; especially if you have a good tv. Other thing I like over Comcast is you can have one DVR, but still watch and record the programs from others rooms! Last they get Fuel TV which is basicallt home for the UFC now. Even today you can watch the UFC prelims on that channel. Comcast has no plans to get it.

Not sure about Century link though. I kept my internet with Comcast and just threaten to cancel and they drop the monthly charge.

So how much do you pay for internet?

Whats the cost difference between cable and satellite?

my wife wanted to try satellite but i shot it down.

Matty
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:18 AM
Love DirectTV, fucking hate Century Link!!!!

longrider
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:24 AM
I will strongly recommend DirecTV, they smoke Comcast in every respect. Yes, you do have weather outages but they are measured in minutes unlike the hours or even days cable can be down.

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
So how much do you pay for internet?

Whats the cost difference between cable and satellite?

my wife wanted to try satellite but i shot it down.

I think I pay $40 a month for internet; but through Comcast still!

I did the 2 year contract and got one of those killer deals so I pay like $60 a month and get some movie channels, HD channels, 1 HD dvr, 1 HD receiver in other room, and regualr receiver in basement; no install payment. Right now it is cheaper and think when two years runs down it still came down to about the same price. If you are into HD like me you will notice a huge picture difference!

~Barn~
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
I've had DirecTV for a few years now. They're starting to grow on me....

Ghosty
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:36 AM
DirecTV ROCKS, everything about it (except expensive PPV & NFL Ticket). Even the menu system is way nicer than Dish or Comcast. I've had it for over 10 years and will never switch. It's a little pricy if you get a big package, but so worth it. Remember to add up monthly fees for HD & DVR. You won't regret it though. The picture quality is sick, even DVR recordings. Get them to give you a sweet deal as a new customer, with most equipment free, including at least one HD w/ DVR. If you want NFL Ticket, DTV is the only choice too.

Also, CenturyLink DSL rocks if they've upgraded your neighborhood (they've provisioned fiber to over 90% of neighborhoods I believe). You should be able to get from 5mb up to 20mb in some neighborhoods with upgraded DSLAM's. It's super fast and extremely reliable, only been down a few times (only briefly each time) over the last ten years!

Ask about their "same charge for 5 years" guarantee currently advertised. Also bundle your DTV w/ Qwest and save another $5 or $10/mo.

I HATE Comcast, I will always tell my friends to avoid them if possible. Their customer service BLOWS. They once took TWO MONTHS and SIX TECH VISITS to finally admit a problem was in my entire neighborhood and not not just the wiring in my house! Fuckers, HATE THEM, bunch of hacks, don't know shit about their own technology. I knew more than the idiot techs about their own service, ugh.

Jmetz
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Basic cable + internet = whatever I wanna watch. $20/month

I`m Batman
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:55 AM
I would switch to dish too but I don't want to have a DISH on the side or roof of my house. AND I don't want them to be drilling holes on the side of my house and staple cables all around the outside of my house to get to rooms. At least Comcast is underground.

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
I would switch to dish too but I don't want to have a DISH on the side or roof of my house. AND I don't want them to be drilling holes on the side of my house and staple cables all around the outside of my house to get to rooms. At least Comcast is underground. Mine wasn't! Had issues with squirells eating my lines for years, so above ground in my area for Comcast. Tried to charge me on this too, till I bought their insurance for a few bucks a month. Was so wierd some channels could make the jump on the broken line so I got some channels and not others. Fought with them for a long time till this finally got figured out. Tech says the frequency makes a humming noise and makes squirells think there is a bug in there to eat.

grim
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
I would switch to dish too but I don't want to have a DISH on the side or roof of my house. AND I don't want them to be drilling holes on the side of my house and staple cables all around the outside of my house to get to rooms. At least Comcast is underground.

This!!!!

bulldog
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 11:13 AM
This!!!!
Like I said this in not true for all Comcast! Actually other than dish DirecTV hid the wires better. Comcast had this long ass wire ran from pole over neighbors yard, over my yard to get to house.

I don't care about seeing a dish, but there are solutions
http://www.satellitedish.org/blog/2010/10-ways-to-hide-your-satellite-dish/

Mother Goose
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
I kept my Comcast internets, but switched to DirecTV for tv. I heard too many bad things about Century Link, so I stuck with Comcast, but I'd never turn back to Comcast for cable.

grim
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I know how much the picture quality sucks ass with cable, because it sucks ass!

I'll have to talk with the wife in regards to the cost difference between cable and satellite Nate i will take you up on your offer if we go through with it.

Were getting a new TV for the bedroom and re decorating i think that picture quality is an essential key in the decoration process!

birchyboy
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:41 PM
If you don't want to mount it to the side of your house, find out what the sight lines have to be and put a post in your yard for the dish, and bury some conduit for the wire.

VryfastRR
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:16 PM
Same ones showed up at my door..... and now I have directv. So far its seems find, I had dish before not much of a change and I don't watch a lot of tv anyway.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Same ones showed up at my door..... and now I have directv. So far its seems find, I had dish before not much of a change and I don't watch a lot of tv anyway.

Was it a pretty seamless process?

kingtut
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:10 PM
I switched from paying $140 per month with Comcast (cable and internet), to paying $50 per month for DISH [and $33 per month internet, via Century Link]. Granted, its not Direct-tv, but still satellite.

Century Link sucks.
I hate the dvr on DISH. Channel selection/packages suck. Picture quality is meh.

I miss Comcast. Yes, their customer service blows and they are highly overpriced. But IMO, they have a good product.

My brother had Direct-tv and hated them. He switched to DISH.

VryfastRR
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!

Was it a pretty seamless process?

Yeah. Took the guy about 2 hours to get everything setup. Walked me through working everything. I got choice extra with whole home dvr for 3 tvs. So far everything seems good. The picture is noticeably better.

DemonRider
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:13 PM
I'll stay out of this one,,,,, hahahahaha ....... ;)

I'll only say; if you having issues with you Comcast , you can give me a PM / Call, not all Techs are ,,, well,, you know ????

Ghosty
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
Century Link sucks.
What speed was your account? What problems did you have?

kingtut
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 04:22 PM
What speed was your account? What problems did you have?

I'm still on the token "promo" and am getting the "fastest speed available in my area".

I guess I haven't had any real problems per se. I hate Century Link's email service. It takes forever to log in...going through prompt after prompt. (Comcast swiftly removed access to my email account once I dropped them.)

Century Link's customer service is on par with Comcast. Both unhelpful and don't seem to care whether or not you've been a loyal customer.

The internet speed of CL just seems slower than it was with Comcast. Sorry, I don't recall the actual speeds. If I wasn't saving $40 a month, I'd go back to Comcast.

I don't game or stream movies, etc. These are just my personal observations...

oh10raven
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
I have Direct TV and can't complain about service or channel selection.

As far as Century Link goes...they blow. I pay for a 12MB down/1.5MB up, but consistently get 6MB down and ~75KB up. I have to power cycle my modem multiple times a week to bring my download speeds up to 6MB from the usual 1.5-2.2MB. I've swapped out my modem 2 times, had service people out a couple, isolated the DSL to one port, problem never goes away. On top of all this our LAN line sounds like shit all the time and if my BB worked in my apartment I'd cancel that. It could be something in the building I live in, but I really hate the internet/phone service through CL.

bluedogok
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM
I have had Directv for 13 years, got it after the Multimedia Cablevision in the suburb community of Oklahoma City that I lived (with overhead lines) would lose the cable whenever the wind blew....being Oklahoma that was all the time. I now have NFL Sunday Ticket and MLB Extra Innings (dropping NHL Center Ice since I don't need it for Avs games anymore) so cable just wouldn't work for me. I do have Comcast for internet up here, had Time Warner in Austin and Sprint Broadband Direct (fixed wireless) in OKC.

As far as wires, with the SWiM system you only need one wire per room even for multiple tuners. If you have the house pre-wired for cable with hidden wiring they could reuse the cable wiring (if it is like most newer installs) and patch it into the multiplex switch.

SNAFU
Fri Jun 22nd, 2012, 10:41 PM
I just got rid of the comcast triple play(around 130) for Centrury Link and netflix+hulu(56). I have had no problems with my Fiber optic connection; 40mb down, 5mb up is crazy fast. I got sick of comcast, shit always seemed broke. No contract either which is why I switched. As for direct TV, we were looking at it and it was cheaper than comcast and seemed better (No extra charge for Natgeo and Military), but stuck w/ the 8 a month netflix and Hulu. My .02

Ghosty
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:20 AM
Century Link's customer service is on par with Comcast. Both unhelpful and don't seem to care whether or not you've been a loyal customer.

The internet speed of CL just seems slower than it was with Comcast. Sorry, I don't recall the actual speeds. If I wasn't saving $40 a month, I'd go back to Comcast.
PM me your DSL home phone#. What model of modem do you have? Motorola 3347, ActionTec or ZyXel PK5000? I have the inside track to the on-shore tier-2/3 tech support, bypassing the call-center. I will have my buddy check your local DSLAM/switch. He can see what the congestion level is and whether that's the issue. He can also check your line's signal-to-noise ratio, strength, etc. from their end, even if the error counters on your modem appear fine.

If needed I'll have him move you to another port on the switch if your port is faulty, whether it's on your DSLAM or the central office providing fiber to your area. Then we can run some speed tests and compare throughput on Qwest's network vs. the public (www.speedtest.net (http://www.speedtest.net)) tests. And also if those numbers jive with what you're paying for.

Example. I pay for 12mb in my home. I should see 10-11mb using Qwest's own test site: http://seattle.speedtest.qwest.net <or> http://minneapolis.speedtest.qwest.net

(I use those because otherwise it will detect your location and default to using the Denver test servers, which will yield excellent results but not as realistic when guaging your speed on the entire public Internet.)

On the public test site, I should see somewhat less, and is a more realistic view of my bandwidth. I would expect between 8mb and 10mb, which I think is very reasonable. You will rarely see your max 12mb on either Qwest's or the public test site.

Ghosty
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:22 AM
I have Direct TV and can't complain about service or channel selection.

As far as Century Link goes...they blow. I pay for a 12MB down/1.5MB up, but consistently get 6MB down and ~75KB up. I have to power cycle my modem multiple times a week to bring my download speeds up to 6MB from the usual 1.5-2.2MB. I've swapped out my modem 2 times, had service people out a couple, isolated the DSL to one port, problem never goes away. On top of all this our LAN line sounds like shit all the time and if my BB worked in my apartment I'd cancel that. It could be something in the building I live in, but I really hate the internet/phone service through CL.
Pretty much needs the same troubleshooting as I told KingTut above. You are NOT getting what you should be. You should see the same numbers as I'm seeing at my house on my 12mb account.

What model modem do you have? ActionTec PK5000, Q1000, or the ZyXel PK5000?

PM me your home DSL phone#. It might have to wait until Monday though. Your upload speed will always bee only about 700k-800k at best, that's normal for everyone except top-tier accounts that pay for 1mb-5mb UP. Your performance might also depend on whether you're on ADSL or VDSL. I'm on VDSL (good up to 40mb down). I forgot I upgraded from 12mb to 20mb, so I see great consistant speeds. Tonight:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2024553877.png

derekm
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 09:26 AM
I am inspired to drop comcast quick!

modette99
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
^ I dropped them for TV. Just have Over the air HD, and the 20MB/s package.

Right now I still don't like Comcast for TV, mainly because they closed down all their field offices so driving into Springs just does not do it for me to exchange boxes and what have you.

In a few years we might get Cable for our Child to have Disney Channel but that is a ways off.

Ghosty
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
Btw sorry Modette, didn't mean to hijack. If one of the mods could split my three posts off into their own thread, that would be great. :) Just title the new one "CenturyLink DSL Troubleshooting".

SNAFU
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 12:36 PM
I constistently get these speeds w/ century link. If you decide to go with century link, I would suggest looking into fiber optic. I pay the same price as 12mb DL that comcast offers. I believe the 20mb up w/ century link is FO as well, dsl is and has always seemed unstable in terms of service to me.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2025290774.png

Ghosty
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
You'll need your immediate area to have FTTN (fiber to the neighborhood) and VDSL (as opposed to the older ADSL tech.), just call and ask. If you're max available speed is 20mb or 40mb, and not 12mb or less, then most likely you do. You will also need to upgrade your modem to an ActionTec Q1000 or similar ($100?) to handle the VDSL I believe. All in all it's worth it though, the speeds are comparable to Cable.

For most people, obviously you won't see speeds as fast as Comcast. It's just the nature of the beast. They can dump a TON of bandwidth through that thick coax cable, compared to DSL's little twin-pair wiring coming into your house.

As for reliability, DSL has an excellent track record. When I had Comcast it went down once every few weeks, whereas with DSL it only goes down a few times a year, at most, and very briefly. So neither one is "unreliable", ime anyway. YMMV, especially if they're doing lots of construction, new homes, etc. in your area. If you are getting outages more often than that, then you really should call them and ask them what's up. In new neighborhoods where they're constantly adding new customers often, that could also effect your service. They can look at the switch logs and check for you.

SNAFU
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 02:36 PM
Ya the modem for fiber you have to get through CL and it is 100. As for reliablility, I was speaking strictly from my own experience, though comcast was worse as far as reliability. I personally switched because comcasts prices are a joke for what they offer in terms of speed.

Brahma
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
I love Directv...with that being said...CenturyLink can kiss my ass. Every Monday night arround 1100pm my internet goes down. I call up and they say it's due to upgrades in the area. 6 weeks of internet upgrades really? At 11pm? Well lets compound my hate...I get everything working on Tuesday morning, and then Thursday afternoon it goes out again...this time no amount of power cycling or reseting or changing of cables or anything fixes it...so they tell me a tech is needed. Ok I figure a day or two...nope...soonest they could be at my place was July 2nd. Seriously? They don't do appointments before noon. So they tell me it will be around 2:15pm. ummm ok...then the email I get states that the tech could show up between noon to 8pm...ummm what? Add to it, they planned on charging me $85 for the visit...ummm no. So after a couple of days it mysteriously starts working again. Can't tell you how livid I am about the whole ordeal.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 07:23 PM
Welp, made the switch..... Comcast can suuuuck my coooock :)

No install $, 12mb internet, 210 channels, free NFL ticket for next year and added another phone line for Mo-Door - $109 for the first year $129 for the next and she threw in another $50 rebate for a total of $200.

Guess we will see what the quality is like.... I will let the masses know!

Thanks again for all the info everyone

Ghosty
Sun Jun 24th, 2012, 08:35 AM
I love Directv...with that being said...CenturyLink can kiss my ass. Every Monday night arround 1100pm my internet goes down. I call up and they say it's due to upgrades in the area. 6 weeks of internet upgrades really? At 11pm?
PM me your home phone# Grant. I'll inquire about your switch. That doesn't sound normal at all, sorry for your bad luck. I will tell you that it doesn't sound like it's your modem (so resetting wouldn't help). They're mucking around with your DSLAM, maybe having problems with it and/or the fiber while they upgrade to FTTN, or changing from the (old) ATM to (new) MOE (metro optical ethernet) feeding your station. Who knows, I'll try to find out...

mxer
Sun Jun 24th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Hmm I want to get out of Comcast but can't decide between dish or direct. That new DVR from Dish sounds sweet but the NFL Ticket sounds good too.

Matt
Sun Jun 24th, 2012, 09:57 AM
We've had DirecTV since 2002 and have no complaints. We have two HD DVRs and really like them. I have no desire to switch to any other provider.

Drama
Sun Jun 24th, 2012, 10:26 AM
I had direcTV for the past two years and loved everything about it, except the price. The second year i was paying about $99 for everything buy movie channels.

I'm switching to the comcast triple play when i move to colorado in august, but the decision is being driven by finances. My work will pay for internet and phone. I can do all the channels including all movie channels and its going to cost me like $50 a month.

birchyboy
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Welp, made the switch..... Comcast can suuuuck my coooock :)

No install $, 12mb internet, 210 channels, free NFL ticket for next year and added another phone line for Mo-Door - $109 for the first year $129 for the next and she threw in another $50 rebate for a total of $200.

Guess we will see what the quality is like.... I will let the masses know!

Thanks again for all the info everyone

Any updates? Looking at it myself now. Costco has a great deal which I might jump on.

Mother Goose
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 02:57 PM
If any of you guys decide to go with DirecTV, let me give you my account number and we can both get $10 off our bill every month.

bulldog
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 03:27 PM
If any of you guys decide to go with DirecTV, let me give you my account number and we can both get $10 off our bill every month. Good luck...everyone I have done that with they denied it. Ezzzzy1 tried it recently with me account number and they said he couldn't do it if using one of their signup deals or use CenturyLink

longrider
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Good luck...everyone I have done that with they denied it. Ezzzzy1 tried it recently with me account number and they said he couldn't do it if using one of their signup deals or use CenturyLink

That is 100% correct, that is why I have given up on the refer a friend program. It only works if you call the special number on your initial call to set up service. No bundling, no deals, etc.

bulldog
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 03:47 PM
That is 100% correct, that is why I have given up on the refer a friend program. It only works if you call the special number on your initial call to set up service. No bundling, no deals, etc. Yeah such a scam. Like who is going to switch over without a sign up deal; that is like the best part of switching.

sag
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 07:53 PM
i switched a couple months ago and told them i want the fastest internet they can give me. 50meg? iirc. i pay 53 dollars a month to centurylink for this?

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2340910000.png

Ezzzzy1
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 08:28 PM
I got FFFFUCKED to say the least by the Direct tv sales chick.

When we signed up we were told a few things, one of them being that we could add additional boxes for cheap, all we had to do was go to Best Buy and buy their $25 ones. Well it turns out that Best Buy doesnt sell anything like that. Now I have to pay to have the installer come back out to wire the other rooms (that could have been done for free if I had them do it when they first came out) and I have to either pay a rediculous amount for boxes from Direct or find some on Ebay - Either way I will still be charged $6 a month for the access card from Direct.

The second thing we were told was that we would get $150 in Visa cards and she was "extra" cool to us telling us that she would throw in another $50 because we were cool. Havent seen any of those yet.

Have called 5 times to try and sort this out and have literally been told that there is nothing more they could do.

I might just try and get out of it. Over them and their shit. OVER ALL OF THE COMPANIES AND THEIR SHIT. It seems like all they do is ream people. I would honestly say that the thought of both Direct and Comcast makes me want to vomit.

There is my gripe.

~Barn~
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM
i switched a couple months ago and told them i want the fastest internet they can give me. 50meg? iirc. i pay 53 dollars a month to centurylink for this?

That's a lousy score sag; clearly something is wrong.

I have 12Mb (mid-grade) internet with Century Link, and it always runs as it should. Often times even exceeding the 12Mb of pure throughput, when I do stuff like (cough-cough) share files.

Personally I don't like speedtest.net, because of the flash component [use www.testmy.net (http://www.testmy.net) instead], but for kicks I just ran one while still browsing in other tabs, and it seems to be on the level:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2340944674.png

I say it's high-time to find out what speed you're truly buying from Century Link ($50/month seems on par for 12Mb), and ask them to start troubleshooting with you.

For comparisions sake, here is what I just got from testmy.net:
http://testmy.net/Gv0TR9c.png

~Barn~
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 08:38 PM
<Snip...>

You're 100 percent right EJ. It seems to be essentially built into the corporate moral fiber of DirecTV to be as deceptive as possible and add needless complexities to all of their business practices, to wring as much $$$ as they can from their customers.

Everytime I call them, I'm real good at being polite and patient, but also letting them know that I'm keeping detailed records of who I've talked to, what the details of any deals and promos are, and always checking and double-checking dates, costs, and virtually everything we cover of substance. When I feel a bit too much "spin" coming on from the Rep. on the other end, I like to ask "This call is being recorded, right <insert name>?"

Sorry to hear that they got over on you. =\

The Black Knight
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2340910000.png

That's a lousy score sag; clearly something is wrong.

I have 12Mb (mid-grade) internet with Century Link, and it always runs as it should. Often times even exceeding the 12Mb of pure throughput, when I do stuff like (cough-cough) share files.

Personally I don't like speedtest.net, because of the flash component [use www.testmy.net (http://www.testmy.net) instead], but for kicks I just ran one while still browsing in other tabs, and it seems to be on the level:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2340944674.png

I say it's high-time to find out what speed you're truly buying from Century Link ($50/month seems on par for 12Mb), and ask them to start troubleshooting with you.

For comparisions sake, here is what I just got from testmy.net:
http://testmy.net/Gv0TR9c.png

:D

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2340983667.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Measured it just now:

$55 a month, though normally my uploads are quicker(usually in the 6's). My highest I've managed was right at 7.0 but if I remember right, that's my quickest download. Also my best "ping", no wonder I get lag compensated :)

SAG,

I'd tell CenturyLink to pound sand and switch over to cable. If you're paying $53 a month for those dismal results, might as well switch and get what you pay for.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 09:00 PM
You're 100 percent right EJ. It seems to be essentially built into the corporate moral fiber of DirecTV to be as deceptive as possible and add needless complexities to all of their business practices, to wring as much $$$ as they can from their customers.

Everytime I call them, I'm real good at being polite and patient, but also letting them know that I'm keeping detailed records of who I've talked to, what the details of any deals and promos are, and always checking and double-checking dates, costs, and virtually everything we cover of substance. When I feel a bit too much "spin" coming on from the Rep. on the other end, I like to ask "This call is being recorded, right <insert name>?"

Sorry to hear that they got over on you. =\

Yeah they got me. Im usually pretty good at knowing whats going on and what to expect but dammmm.

I couldnt have said it better man. Its like they throw this great small price out but the second you look outside the lines shit get real, real quick.

That and almost everyone making the switch now days is fed up with who they are with and they just "jump" the the next pile of shit.

Fuckem. If I had a dollar for every time I heard someone say they would live to blow up ______s (comcast, direct, dish) building I would probably be able have a pretty nice night at the ballet :boobies::drink::eyebrows:

Ezzzzy1
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Speaking of Ballet.... This Saturday evening is looking wide open for me. We could drown our sorrows at that nice little establishment in Glendale :dunno:

~Barn~
Thu Nov 29th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Speaking of Ballet.... This Saturday evening is looking wide open for me. We could drown our sorrows at that nice little establishment in Glendale :dunno:

Ha! I'm due for a trip, too!
: pencils this in :

bulldog
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 08:14 AM
I got FFFFUCKED to say the least by the Direct tv sales chick.

When we signed up we were told a few things, one of them being that we could add additional boxes for cheap, all we had to do was go to Best Buy and buy their $25 ones. Well it turns out that Best Buy doesnt sell anything like that. Now I have to pay to have the installer come back out to wire the other rooms (that could have been done for free if I had them do it when they first came out) and I have to either pay a rediculous amount for boxes from Direct or find some on Ebay - Either way I will still be charged $6 a month for the access card from Direct.

The second thing we were told was that we would get $150 in Visa cards and she was "extra" cool to us telling us that she would throw in another $50 because we were cool. Havent seen any of those yet.

Have called 5 times to try and sort this out and have literally been told that there is nothing more they could do.

I might just try and get out of it. Over them and their shit. OVER ALL OF THE COMPANIES AND THEIR SHIT. It seems like all they do is ream people. I would honestly say that the thought of both Direct and Comcast makes me want to vomit.

There is my gripe.
Sorry man, I know I kind of had a hand in recommending them to you. Sucks places/people can't keep their word anymore :(

Ezzzzy1
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Sorry man, I know I kind of had a hand in recommending them to you. Sucks places/people can't keep their word anymore :(

Dont lose any sleep over it, I was making the change either way...

Just sucks, worst part it that there is no way to get a hold of the chick that told us a bunch of bogus stuff when we changed over.

birchyboy
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Dont lose any sleep over it, I was making the change either way...

Just sucks, worst part it that there is no way to get a hold of the chick that told us a bunch of bogus stuff when we changed over.

Did you get the deal directly from DirecTV or from an authorized vendor? I'm likely going through the kiosk at Costco if I do get it.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Did you get the deal directly from DirecTV or from an authorized vendor? I'm likely going through the kiosk at Costco if I do get it.

Thats what I would do. Costco is good business and if anything im sure they would stand behind anything that was wrong.

We went through and authorized vendor but their name is on nothing that they gave us... PITA!

birchyboy
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Thats what I would do. Costco is good business and if anything im sure they would stand behind anything that was wrong.

We went through and authorized vendor but their name is on nothing that they gave us... PITA!

Did you get the new Genie DVR? If so, what are your thoughts?

Ezzzzy1
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Did you get the new Genie DVR? If so, what are your thoughts?

Yeah, thats it. I like it. Probably the only thing I like over Comcast is the design of the menu screens :lol:

Direct even screwed me on my HBO 3 month trial.

bulldog
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Yeah, thats it. I like it. Probably the only thing I like over Comcast is the design of the menu screens :lol:

Direct even screwed me on my HBO 3 month trial. So you didn't see a improvment in picture quality? I saw a huge difference, but my TV is pretty pimp.

Damn I got my 3 free months of HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime

Ezzzzy1
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 12:19 PM
So you didn't see a improvment in picture quality? I saw a huge difference, but my TV is pretty pimp.

Damn I got my 3 free months of HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime

I guess thats another good feature but its not something that notice all that much. The picture quality is better with satellite (for anyone looking for added satellite features). I have a bad ass tv too but from what I upgraded from its all better. lol

Jmetz
Fri Nov 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM

The Nutcracker?