PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Fires - Offers for Help

The Black Knight
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 02:04 PM
http://www.krdo.com/news/Wildfire-prompts-evacuations-near-Waldo-Canyon/-/417220/15220000/-/bfw23s/-/index.html

In case any of you here in the Dirty South haven't seen it. Waldo Canyon is on FIRE!! and it's marching down the mountain side towards Manitou Springs. CSFD and El Paso FD are responding. Looks like many of the roads are being closed heading that way. Mandatory evacs for everyone in surrounding areas. Cedar Heights has also been put on evac.

We really need some rain and bad....

lytehouse
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 02:27 PM
I've been watching the plume of smoke over my house here on the west side get bigger and bigger. Pray they get control of it soon!

Ninja2
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 03:04 PM
US 24 west is closed and going east a ton of traffic due to evacuations. Westside is a mess. Stay away....

Brat
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
i just came down 24, its good going down. up too. just everythings on fire still. sucks i was on rampart in my new boat when i saw a wisp in the air and thought. damnit now what..... all day on rampart saw it get closer and closer, worse and worse... whole damn states going to go up before long........

Matt
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 06:55 PM
I'm just north of the evacuation area and hoping we don't have to leave.

Wrider
Sat Jun 23rd, 2012, 08:04 PM
US 24 west is closed and going east a ton of traffic due to evacuations. Westside is a mess. Stay away....

Lies!!!
Anyway I riding, hit Cripple Creek to check out Donkey Derby Days. There were plenty of people going west, but east did suck sweaty donkey balls.

Clovis
Sun Jun 24th, 2012, 10:18 PM
My dad and I went fishing today (Indie Pass) and at 6am as we were leaving Colorado Springs, the state patrol and EPSO had every side street blocked off with a squad car. After Buena Vista and just before you turn onto 24 from 285 they had a sign saying 24 was closed at Woodland Park. So we took 9, 50 and 115 to get back. Added a nice hour to the trip.

Once we got back into the South end of Colorado springs, holy shit! We stopped for a drink and it smells like a camp fire now.

Ninja2
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 09:47 AM
They had closed the westbound lane Sat between 1pm and 2pm or so. Was in a store and they brought in a pregnant woman who was in labor and could not get back Woodland Park to deliver. I think it was primarily closed to get firefighters up there initially.

My office is on the west side next to Coronado HS where all the news reporters are (Kissing Camels Office Park). The entire building smells like smoke - the air quality outside is actually better. Trying to make arrangements to meet with clients at a different location.

The Black Knight
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Mandatory evacs for peregrine and mountain shadows. The fire has jumped queen's canyon. It's starting to race down the mountain side. Fire has nothing left to cross. Itsin colorado springs.

powers
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:57 PM
I only have a small one car garage (not in fire danger at all), but if anyone needs to store a bike or two I can make room. I could probably squeeze 4-5 in total if needed. I also have a single bike trailer if you need to move a bike or something larger (<800 lbs).

VFR
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Im in stetson hills Can store about 8 bikes

Wrider
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM
My aunt and uncle's house is currently on fire. Said uncle's sister and bro-in-law (other aunt and uncle) and parents (my grandparents) are all evacuated.

Whatever you guys do, whether it's pray, rain dance, talk to Mother Earth, or cut yourself to invite spirits in, please do it to help stop this fire...

Ninja2
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 06:44 PM
can store bikes, cars and take in small animals, like cats,or bunnies

VFR
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 06:49 PM
Mandatory evac for Rockrimmon

Repsol a095
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 06:50 PM
In Aurora but I can take in about fifteen bikes.

longrider
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 07:08 PM
I can store 5 or 6 bikes in Elizabeth and plenty of outdoor room for cars and such (2 1/2 acres, no covenants)

The Black Knight
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 07:26 PM
My aunt and uncle's house is currently on fire. Said uncle's sister and bro-in-law (other aunt and uncle) and parents (my grandparents) are all evacuated.

Whatever you guys do, whether it's pray, rain dance, talk to Mother Earth, or cut yourself to invite spirits in, please do it to help stop this fire...
Man that sucks, total bummer. KRDO just said 35 house are on fire at the moment. Homes on Wilson Rd. and Flying W Ranch Rd seem to be the area affected at this point. Just also heard that Air Force Academy is getting preliminary evacs as well. Which is the fire continues to move like it did today, it will be there in a matter of hours. Mountain Shadows area were alerted around 1PM today, and by 4PM people were being evac'ed. This is crazy and I can't believe how fast the fire has moved just this afternoon.

Prayers to God for help for those fighting the fire, for those losing homes and for calming the Earth down.

64BonnieLass
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I can't see any threads - I've been banned without cause I think.

If anybody is in need of help in Boulder - FlatIrons, etc, I have room for bikes, people, dogs, cats.

I'm so deeply saddened by this all. Our state is on fire. (feels that way anyway)

BTW - I'm in Erie, which at least gives some distance from the fire.

The Black Knight
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Flying W Ranch(the restaurant) is gone!! just confirmed.

Sparker
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:11 PM
My office is over there. watched it come over the ridge and come down. If anyone on the west side needs a place to crash, let me know. have room for animals

Wrider
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I can fit an extra bike or two in the garage, or a car in the driveway if need be. East side of the Springs.

Wrider
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Man that sucks, total bummer. KRDO just said 35 house are on fire at the moment. Homes on Wilson Rd. and Flying W Ranch Rd seem to be the area affected at this point. Just also heard that Air Force Academy is getting preliminary evacs as well. Which is the fire continues to move like it did today, it will be there in a matter of hours. Mountain Shadows area were alerted around 1PM today, and by 4PM people were being evac'ed. This is crazy and I can't believe how fast the fire has moved just this afternoon.

Prayers to God for help for those fighting the fire, for those losing homes and for calming the Earth down.

My uncle's house was at the intersection of Wilson Rd. and Brogan's Bluff. If you zoom in on Google Maps you'll see a spur of a road with a truck parked next to the house. That's my old Dakota, seems they were spying on me when they snapped the picture. He's retired CSFD so he has contacts in the chain of command on the fire. His house was one of the first ones to catch fire and is already gone. Fuck...

gsxridiot
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
thats a really nice thing to offer
it really is a terrifing scene out there
my friend on co spgs said tonight that the fire has actually reached the NW part of town!
i am safe at this point in Eagle county, we have ben spared so far
way to go for doing what you can to help
my heart and prayers go out to those that have lost everything

VFR
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:49 PM
Air Force Academy evac'ed...Going to work at 1030 to support the move of the cadets

grim
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Saw all of this on the news while i was at the gym, some big helo's and planes just flew over my house probobly carryin the fire retardant chenical. it seems almost surreal that it's happening, I can't believe how fast it's spreading, if anyone needs a place to crash let me know we have a spare bedroom I live in Parker, but it's better than nothing.

Husky
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I just off of C470 and Hampden in Morrison and can also help store bike, personal items etc. I also have a enclosed trailer if anyone needs help saving there personal belonging from the fire

Wrider
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:00 PM
https://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/182122_10150778832257609_1039723521_n.jpg

CaneZach
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm on the north side of the Springs, so if anyone needs to bring some bikes, cars, or personal stuff to my house, I have a VERY oversized 3-car garage and an open basement to store stuff.

VFR
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
PM me if you need to store bikes or big dogs....

Hoot
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Two car garage available for bike, vehicle or personal item storage in Broomfield.

Hoot
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Two car garage available for bike, vehicle or personal item storage in Broomfield

grim
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Garage storage available in Parker and if you need anything large hauled off I have a f650 that can haul anything but cars and bikes (deck is too high off the ground).

asp_125
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:27 PM
We have room for bikes and/or pets .. and a bike trailer available to move bikes. Plus a couple of bedrooms. (Lone Tree area)

Jmetz
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:34 PM
I'm by DIA but can offer 1/2 of my garage to store whatever.

Ghost
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM
I could make room for one bike in my garage in SE Aurora.

#1Townie
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Stay safe folks.

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:56 PM
I can't see any threads - I've been banned without cause I think.

No you haven't, not sure why you can't see things.

Generous offer though!

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Two car garage available for bike, vehicle or personal item storage in Broomfield

I can make room for bike/etc if someone needs to put it somewhere as well.

Jmetz
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Hey Ralph, maybe you can merge this thread and the other into just one "Fire Evac Resources" thread?

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Saw all of this on the news while i was at the gym, some big helo's and planes just flew over my house probobly carryin the fire retardant chenical. it seems almost surreal that it's happening, I can't believe how fast it's spreading, if anyone needs a place to crash let me know we have a spare bedroom I live in Parker, but it's better than nothing.

With those winds I doubt the air support could do a thing in COS, 65mph coming down the lee side of a mountain will slam an aircraft into the ground like a fly swatter. The wind is lighter now but air attack doesn't work at night, so it's all ground attack now. Hopefully they can keep it at bay overnight, I'd imagine the tankers and helos would be hitting it as soon as the sun comes up.

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:04 PM
The south-side one for Waldo?

Jmetz
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Yeah the fire - bike storage one.

rluper
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Anyone need help moving stuff? Figured I'd ask in case shit hits the fan for folks close.

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:08 PM
FYI I have merged the Boulder and Waldo help-offer threads. There are a lot of people offering up space for people and belongings here, if you are affected by these fires please take advantage of it!

Jmetz
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I meant this one. :) http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46999

rforsythe
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Well you shoulda said so! I can't unmerge, so I'll add that one here too. The fires are truly statewide at this point so I don't think people needing help are going to be too picky.

Mel
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:13 PM
I live in southwest Denver...I have a spare bedroom, and an airbed as well. Also have clothes (mens and womens, and kids) etc. If you are in need, let me know

FZRguy
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Got garage space for at least one bike in Lakewood.

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM
If anyone needs a place to stay, I have a big couch and room for a couple bikes if needed. I'm in Arvada just off I-70.

vort3xr6
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:41 PM
This is really sad stuff. We take for granted the beauty around us. We forget how quickly mother nature can change things. My heart goes out to everyone who is losing their home, life, belongings, and memories. I did a rain dance jingle that the wife said looked more like a seizure. Hope things get better soon.

Ghost
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:47 PM
This is really sad stuff. We take for granted the beauty around us. We forget how quickly mother nature can change things. My heart goes out to everyone who is losing their home, life, belongings, and memories. I did a rain dance jingle that the wife said looked more like a seizure. Hope things get better soon.

Really is sad to see everything going up in smoke. I always found living in Colorado to be pretty close to perfect, now a lot of everything is just devastated...

Jmetz
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:57 PM
For those of you wondering if you are going to be evacuated or not, be proactive and use these resources to help save your stuff. Also start documenting what you have (pics/vid) as insurance will only replace what you can prove you had.

bodhizafa
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Bedroom and garage space if anyone needs it near Boulder (I'm in Louisville).

Jmetz
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Colorado Springs: Big House Sports, at 2660 Vickers , 719-465-4296, is open for evacuees to come and stay. We have lots of space. Please put it out so people know they can come here. We have space, showers, AC, food, water. Please put it out!! Mike Roe, General Manager.

aerofaze
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 07:11 AM
For evacuees and those wishing to provide assistance or housing to those affected by the Waldo Canyon Fire, this website provides a means of communicating and connecting directly.

http://waldofire.com/

It is not affiliated with anything official such as the Red Cross, etc, so I do recommend a level of caution.

Snowman
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Anyone need a truck to move stuff with? I have an S-10 (no trailer package though) you can borrow...

Wrider
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 07:52 AM
GOOD NEWS! My uncle's house is still somehow standing. Both of the houses on either side, however, are burnt to the ground, and his garage is apparently scorched pretty good. But it's still standing!

tstevens
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Hope everyone is safe, pictures from the fires have been nuts. Wish I was down there to help. I am up north but if there is anything I may be able to do, let me know! Prayers go out to everyone, sad to see the fire walk in.

Sarge
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Posted in the other thread, but I have a spare room, 5 acres, space for horses, vehicles and dogs and a 16 foot enclosed trailer if anybody needs help moving or storing stuff.

~Barn~
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 08:42 AM
Just want to drop in a give a sincere Thank You to everybody who has offered to help people and those of you who are already doing it. A very kind gesture, that I hope comes back to you 10-fold. :up:

Airreed
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 09:33 AM
The Colorado Army National Guard currently has 3 Fire Fighting units and over 80 military police working the High Park Fire. Most of them have been on orders for about three weeks now. Our Aviation assets have also been involved too.
Currently he have a be prepated mission for sending in some of our Engineer assets (Dozers etc...) to the Waldo Canyon Fire. Our Fire Fighters should get an End of Mission from High Park and will push down to Waldo Canyon in the next few days.

Sean
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM
If you REALLY want to get away, I'm in Rifle (3 hours west) and am happy to store bikes, people and beer (although you may not get all the beer back).

Stay safe, everybody.

Cornfed
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 10:26 AM
Being up routed form all the you know must miserable. Im in Parker and have plenty of room for someone, and bike(s), or even a family if needed.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 11:46 AM
PPIR is offering up the AutoX lot to house vehicles, RVs, boats (not people) for up to 10 days. Drop off of your vehicle can be done during our business hours of 9am to 5pm. If you have questions, please email us at information@ppir.com.

kawasakirob
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 03:18 PM
I am able to take people (1-2) into my place. Please PM me

Snowman
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
This Site on Facebook has gone up for this to do to help..

http://www.facebook.com/events/495080023838761/

biikChiQ
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 06:00 PM
Apex Sports
327 S. Weber St
Colorado Springs

is offering storage space for motorcycles and vehicles

Wrider
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 02:41 AM
In case anyone is interested... This is the link to the map showing what structures survived, what structures burned, and what structures have "visible damage" but are not considered "total losses".

Pretty amazing they were able to save so many homes if you ask me.

Click Here (http://www.springsgov.com/units/communications/WaldoFire_PreliminaryDamageAssessment_062912_8pm.p df)

rforsythe
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/06/western-fires-from-space/

Ghost
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 05:09 PM
http://helpcoloradonow.org/

How to help those affected by

WALDO Canyon, HIGH PARK AND OTHER

Wildfires in ColoradO

FINANCIAL GIFTS ARE THE BEST WAY TO HELP!

FINANCIAL SUPPORT TO VOLUNTARY AGENCIES RESPONDING TO DISASTERS IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO HELP
Cash allows disaster agencies to purchase exactly what is needed
To make a financial gift to the organization of your choice, CLICK HERE (http://helpcoloradonow.org/index.php/responding-agencies) for a list of reputable agencies responding to the disaster or dial 2-1-1 (or 1-866-760-6489)
Member agencies of Colorado Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster do not promote one charity over another. Please donate to a charity of your choice.

VOLUNTEERING FOR WALDO CANYON, HIGH PARK AND OTHER WILDFIRES

DO NOT GO TO THE SCENE OF A DISASTER
The arrival of unexpected volunteers will interfere with response efforts
STAY SAFE by volunteering with a reputable agency!
Volunteers will be needed most during the recovery phase. Please be patient and WAIT until relief agencies can train you and use your help
Please CLICK HERE (http://www.aidmatrixnetwork.org/fema/States.aspx?ST=Colorado) to sign up to volunteer and list in the 'Comments' section the name of the fire you would like to give your time to. If a volunteer need is identified, you will be contacted by the agency that can utilize your skills.

MATERIAL DONATIONS FOR WALDO CANYON, HIGH PARK AND OTHER WILDFIRES

Donate ONLY those things that are requested by officials and bring them to the official designated collection centers.
Items not needed may go to waste and get in the way of relief efforts
Donations for VACANT rental properties, vacation homes, can be listed through below links. Please note donated rooms in homes can NOT be accepted: VACANT rental properties in Colorado Springs area can be listed on: Colorado Housing Search (http://www.coloradohousingsearch.com). VACANT rental properties in Fort Collins area can be listed on: Northern Colorado Rentals (http://northerncoloradorentals.com/).
Meal donations from restaurants (no home cooked meals please) are needed for some local personnel and volunteers supporting response efforts (please note that Federal Incident Command can NOT accept ANY food offers). If you are a restaurant and want to donate meals, CLICK HERE, (http://www.aidmatrixnetwork.org/FEMA/PublicPortal/ListOfNeeds.aspx?PortalID=6) and then wait to be contacted (never bring food to a site unless it is requested).
CLICK HERE (http://www.aidmatrixnetwork.org/fema/States.aspx?ST=Colorado) to list your donation and note in the 'Donor Comments' section the name of the fire you would like to give to. You will be contacted if your donation is needed.

OTHER WAYS TO HELP

For information on how to help dial 2-1-1 (or 1-866-760-6489)
Hold a yard sale or put on a fund-raising event and donate money raised to a voluntary organization responding to this disaster
Have youalready collected goods but can’t find an agency that needs them? Donate items to a local charitable agency