PDA

View Full Version : Gear == Speed?

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Not strictly a technique topic so please move if it makes sense...

So, I've been noticing lately that the more protective my gear is - textile vs mesh, leather vs textile, etc... - the more aggressive I ride. It's not a slight difference either. If I'm putting down the block in a t-shirt and chinos, I'm on my best behavior. But if I'm in full gear and the road is clear, I'm risky business...

Normal?

Ghosty
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Dunno about everyone else, but I'm the same way. Last week I had to wear a regular street jacket and I drove like a granny, even with helmet & gloves. 99.9% of the time I have my cycle jacket on, I'm still careful, but don't drive like granny.

I hate being safe! Especially when it's 102 degrees out, ARGHH!

asp_125
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Complacency? False sense of security? I know that in full leathers I "feel" the urge to ride harder than if I were in textile. But I'm trying to train myself to think "Just because I can, doesn't mean I need to". It helps that track experience tames the hooligan in me, the street offers less excitement.

There were a lot of riders out with less gear in the heat this weekend, but I did not notice any less asshats in traffic :dunno: so maybe gear isn't a factor to some.

Ghosty
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 10:08 AM
I get super jealous seeing all those homos with t-shirt & shorts, while I sweat my balls off! Btw, today should hit 102 again...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/FUpeace.gif

asp_125
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 10:13 AM
I get super jealous seeing all those homos with t-shirt & shorts, while I sweat my balls off! Btw, today should hit 102 again...

no homo. Saw someone riding shirtless on 36 yesterday... :down:

tstevens
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Saw some dude on 34 riding shirtless and helmetless on a buell today. Its so damn hot out, still wearing pants, jacket, and helmet sweating balls lol.

3D
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I usually go faster when I'm in shorts, tank top and my flippy floppies. (less drag)

grim
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Jeans riding boots riding jacket helmet and gloves, no matter where i go or how hot it is i keep a pace i am comfortable with and that gives me enough time to react in a situation.

Riding pants and all my gear, or Full leathers, i tend to push a little harder, but for me it depends also on what roads i am on and if i am familiar with them or not.

Clovis
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 02:09 PM
I noticed this too. I only ride in my full track suit (2 peice) and I ride pretty agressively. I didn't do that when I wore everything but the pants. If I'm just riding to the store or to work I'm not in my full leathers and I'm on my best behavior as you put it :)

Having gear increases your confidence.

asp_125
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
.. I didn't do that when I wore everything but the pants....

If I wore everything but the pants............... it gets mighty breezy down there.

Clovis
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Only when you ride commando are you truly free!! =P

stubbicatt
Mon Jun 25th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Only when you ride commando are you truly free!! =P

Note to self: Beware of Clovis posting used leather trousers for sale. ! LOL.

diz
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Jeans riding boots riding jacket helmet and gloves, no matter where i go or how hot it is i keep a pace i am comfortable with and that gives me enough time to react in a situation.

I always wear everything except riding pants too. I was never all that crazy when riding but was a lot "riskier" before my first track experience. Basically, the only thing you can practice on the street is shifting. All of the roads are designed to make turning easy so it doesn't really help your ability to corner. I no longer see the point in going excessively fast. I still speed but it's usually to get away from idiots/semis.

I don't. I actually feel sorry for them since they obviously lack common sense to make reasonable decisions.

Drano
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
I don't. I actually feel sorry for them since they obviously lack common sense to make reasonable decisions.

This, this, and this!

kawasakirob
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:29 PM
If you wear pucks on the street, you should be using them on the street...if not you look like a dork

kawasakirob
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:35 PM
( or trying to )

mdub
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 05:37 PM
i will neva wear shorts or go shirtless. that is silly fo folks to do that. but i will wear sandals. haha

lth
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 07:00 PM
This thread reminds me of something I read years ago, and, thanks to the Internet, I found an actual reference:

"Consider two fictional hypothetical vehicles at either
extremum of a safety continuum. At one end, consider a
hypothetical 'invulnerability vehicle' in which it is almost
impossible for the driver to be hurt no matter how he drives.
At the other end of the continuum, consider a 'death trap
vehicle' -- one with, say a sharp pointed steel spike positioned
a few centimetres in front of the driver's forehead. This
example has generated lively discussion regarding in which
vehicle a driver would in fact be more likely to be hurt.
However, there is essential unanimity on the question of which
car would pose a greater threat to other road users."

http://john-adams.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/risk%20and%20freedom.pdf

So gear protects us, but are we safer? To me, rule #1 on the street is don't get into a wreck (either your fault or someone else'--doesn't matter, you're just as f'd), and #2 is proper gear. So if you're more likely to follow #1 with a t-shirt and shorts, I don't have a problem with it.

I do know I'd feel safer on my bike if every car had a giant steel spike mounted on their steering wheel instead of a dozen air bags and a driver on the phone.

lth
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 07:07 PM
More interesting stuff from the same author:

"The evidence from Britain, which has been
singled out as the only jurisdiction in the world in which it is possible to
measure fatality changes directly attributable a seat belt law, suggests that the
law produced no net saving of lives, but redistributed the burden of risk from
those who were already the best protected inside vehicles to those who were
the most vulnerable outside vehicles."

http://john-adams.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/seat-belts-for-significance-2.pdf

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Jun 26th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Wow, that's the kind of info I didn't know I was after! Gear == speed == greater danger to others? Seems reasonable.

diz
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 12:17 AM
So we ride more safely with gear, but are we safer? To me, rule #1 on the street is don't get into a wreck (either your fault or someone else'--doesn't matter, you're just as f'd), and #2 is proper gear. So if you're more likely to follow #1 with a t-shirt and shorts, I don't have a problem with it.

I do know I'd feel safer on my bike if every car had a giant steel spike mounted on their steering wheel instead of a dozen air bags and a driver on the phone.

More interesting stuff from the same author:

"The evidence from Britain, which has been
singled out as the only jurisdiction in the world in which it is possible to
measure fatality changes directly attributable a seat belt law, suggests that the
law produced no net saving of lives, but redistributed the burden of risk from
those who were already the best protected inside vehicles to those who were
the most vulnerable outside vehicles."

I remember reading about this a while back. It's an interesting read. I would feel safer if the government required more stringent training requirements before letting people loose on death machines. I don't understand why we are being forced to protect our lives (seat belt law), which should be instinctual, and neglect how to become less of a danger to others.

Ghost
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 01:18 AM
I always ride in full gear, either leather or textile.

But it doesn't affect my riding as I know nearly everything will kill or severely maim me despite what I wear. Gear helps, but it's not magic, and I've seen friends and strangers get killed in full gear, so I've no illusions of how safe I feel versus how safe I really am.

MilkMan
Thu Jul 5th, 2012, 06:42 PM
I generally feel safer when I wear all my leathers and do so whenever I am headed to the mountains. If I am just going to run to the store here downtown, I'll admit that I'll wear shorts, t-shirt, and no helmet, and I accept the risk, but with a 30 mph speed limit, I figure even some of Colorados worst drivers can react in enough time in most cases. Again though, I accept the risk however stupid it may be. This 100+* heat we've had is HOT AS HELL especially downtown where we dont get much wind with all the tall buildings, and all my gear is black so that doesn't help. Anytime I'm going to be on a road 30mph+ at the very least the helmet and leather jacket goes on. Does this make me a bad person?! LOL! I'd like to think not, I know bad shit can happen anywhere, but anytime I feel that I am going to be on the bike for more than a few min, all the gear goes on, and not so that I feel like superman, just so that when the inevitable happens, I'm prepared and the damage is hopefully minimized in the end. IMO being comfortable with the safety aspect of riding allows you to better concentrate on the skill of riding and bettering yourself, at least thats how I feel..
-Mick-

asp_125
Thu Jul 5th, 2012, 09:06 PM
I went out on the 4th for a short ride on the dual sport, just wearing a t-shirt and my body armor, no jacket. Definitely feels a bit less protected, psychologically.

Josh Galster
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I will always wear a helmet, jacket, gloves, and long pants (jeans). i know that if i get into my full race leathers i would want to push and i'm not looking to do that when riding on the street.

bulldog
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I love how people think that full gear is going to protect them. You really think it makes a difference when a car runs over you????

Gear helps, but don't let it fool you into thinking you are invincible!!!

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 09:40 AM
I love how people think that full gear is going to protect them. You really think it makes a difference when a car runs over you????

Gear helps, but don't let it fool you into thinking you are invincible!!!
Well, for me, the gear makes me take corners faster and that has nothing to do with thinking I'm immune to crushing blows from a cage. It's all about the reality that a lowside will not be as brutal presumably... compared to mesh or textile...

bulldog
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Well, for me, the gear makes me take corners faster and that has nothing to do with thinking I'm immune to crushing blows from a cage. It's all about the reality that a lowside will not be as brutal presumably... compared to mesh or textile... Faster on the street is never a good thing! Faster always mean less reaction time and more room for error; yours and other drivers! Now if you are talking about the track that is a different story.

On the street, how could a lowside not be brutal? Again you could get hit by oncoming cars. I've seen many people die wearing full gear.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Faster on the street is never a good thing! Faster always mean less reaction time and more room for error; yours and other drivers! Now if you are talking about the track that is a different story.

On the street, how could a lowside not be brutal? Again you could get hit by oncoming cars. I've seen many people die wearing full gear.
No, I'm really only talking about keeping my speed up at the limit or taking the turns like a tortuga. One is fun, the other is safer. I'm no speed demon. Just talking about the difference between 35 and 45mph I guess...

bulldog
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 11:08 AM
No, I'm really only talking about keeping my speed up at the limit or taking the turns like a tortuga. One is fun, the other is safer. I'm no speed demon. Just talking about the difference between 35 and 45mph I guess...
Oh ok, I got you them man, Just have a few friends in past get really hurt because they took their full gear for granted. My GF's good friend just lost his leg last week from a lowside when a car ran over his leg. He was in full gear :(

Proper gear does make a huge difference though in a noraml crash. I've wrecked in leather and textile. Leather was great and got no road rash. Textile got road rash abd got cut up. I do have a pair of textile I still wear when really hot, but most time I wear tight leather under my jeans and just roast. Really there is nothing betetr than leather as long as it fights right.

longrider
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 11:50 AM
leather as long as it fights right.

I won't ask.. I won't ask... ;)

Sorry to hear about your GFs friend, but that really caused a flashback that I'm sure you remember, when Duane almost lost his leg after a car ran over it and he was in full gear :(

bulldog
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I won't ask.. I won't ask... ;)

Sorry to hear about your GFs friend, but that really caused a flashback that I'm sure you remember, when Duane almost lost his leg after a car ran over it and he was in full gear :( :spit: Oopps, you got me.

You know what I mean though. I see people buy leather pants that are too big for them. Leather has to be tight to work well.

Thanks. Yeah really scared me and gets me back to realizing no matter how safe we try to be things can happen :(

I do remember that and if I remember right the only thing that did save him from losing that leg was he did have on proper fitting leather pants; somehow kept arteries from being torn? Think I am remembering the right person. I always think of PurpleFeet who was a safe rider and always wore her gear and a cow in a road made her crash and pass away even with full gear :(

Even Gene Bazyl who was in full racing gear :cry:

grim
Fri Sep 14th, 2012, 12:48 PM
This is actually one of the reasons i have been riding the DRZ on the street and the Ninja on the track, The DRZ doesn't get up and take off as fast, has a lower top end speed, and is easier to maneuver if i have to make a split second decision, if i have to go off road to avoid something and its not off the side of the mountain i know the bike will handle it and i wont crash, ive done it 3 times now to avoid animals and other drivers.