PDA

View Full Version : VTR1000 Mods

BlackHawk
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:45 PM
So, have any of you Superhawk owners tried any of the Moriwaki goodies available for this bike? I am looking at the stage 1 cams for Santa but some feedback would be good before coughing up $750.

Anonymous
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:50 PM
No but let me know how those work! 8) :D (fellow superchicken owner here)

BlackHawk
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:19 PM
Will do. According to the Moriwaki distributor you can expect an extra 5 ponies with the cams, and 5 more for high compression pistons. I am already running Dynojet stage one jets, K&N filter, and a Yosh full system, so cams are the next step. Besides, they ought to be pretty easy to install. As for the pistons, that will wait until I have a better excuse for dropping the engine.

As a fellow chicken owner, what have you done for your front end? I finally took my VTR out to Second Creek and after a half day of rear end wiggling under hard braking I decided to pour money into the forks before I go back. I'm looking into the Racetech springs, gold valve, and rebound gold valve kits. Any other recommendations?

Also, what difference will it really make? I can drag knees, toes, the LP pegs, the front header pipe, and my Pyramid Plastics undertray with the current setup. But when I hear phrases like "front end feel" and "sense of traction" I have know idea what is being talked about.

Anonymous
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
What are you dynoing at now with all that stuff? I'm piped/jetted/K&N and pulled 109 my last run (adjusted of course, you won't see near that at this altitude), and have since advanced the ignition, which felt like a little extra kick (maybe 1-2, probably mainly just quicker response).

My stuff is all stock (for now)... However the best mods you can do:

1. Keep stock front end, racetech it.
2. Put an Ohlins or Fox shock in the back.
** Combo of these will result in a night and day improvement.
3. Do the rear shock no matter what, but swap the front end (triples on down) for one from a 1997 CBR900RR, it bolts on and gives you better/lighter components. Then racetech those forks. With everything else you're doing I'd go this route.

I'd love to find ways to lighten this thing, any ideas there? Most of the stuff on it can't be removed unfortunately. Though I'm about to try my hand at custom fabrication of a carbon/kevlar fuel tank, which is probably 10+ pounds easy. I also lost a lot when I went for carbon cans instead of those stock things they called exhaust. Race plastics would lose a little (not much though), but I'm not sure what else can be done without costing major bucks (i.e. march wheels, alum triples, etc).

BlackHawk
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 06:10 PM
109 RWHP corrected - must be a magic number. But that was a bit rich and I haven't been back. Among the other goodies on the wish list is the HRC ignition module. But it seems like all these things come in at least $300 chunks.

I've heard about the 900RR swap, but that's another bunch of bucks in addition to the $500 or so to do the Racetech right. Besides, I am living with the stock front now and I am told that an upgraded system will make a world of difference (whatever that means). If I did the 900 swap too I might go into cranial overload or something.

The Ohlins will be next after the front and cams. Unless my Lotto ticket says I can buy all these goodies at once and pay some other schmuck to install them!

A lighter, yet still street legal Superhawk? Hmmm. Kind of banging up against one of the design limitations of the v-twin - its heavier than a four. but as far as suggestions, there is a guy on VTR1000.org who went full carbon/kevlar with the fairings. Also, Moriwaki offers a lightened flywheel. And I just saw an aluminum triple on ebay. After that you're scraping ounces with aluminum fairing stays and subframes.

Actually, I haven't worried much about making the VTR lighter, yet. I'm still working on making the RIDER lighter! 7 pounds per horsepower? Pass the rice cakes!

Anonymous
Mon Sep 22nd, 2003, 07:48 PM
I hear ya on all that stuff. Actually you might consider going with suspension first and cams later, a better handling bike = a faster rider. If you want a little more "oomph" drop a tooth in the front, I did that and OMG is that fun! :D

I'm not worried about my own weight ... we be Team Skinny Racing for a reason! :lol:

BlackHawk
Tue Sep 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Actually, I was going from cheapest mod to most expensive, the forks being the cheapest, and Ohlins, well, you know about Ohlins. The hope is to get the forks done in time to get another half day or two at SCR before the season ends. Then I can fool around with the cams this winter and get the shock in time for spring.

And yes, I have thought about dropping a tooth on the front sprocket. I have often thought that the ideal corner speed and revs was between gears, but I have consigned myself to fixing that problem by going FASTER.

Other possible weight savers: clip-ons, rear sets, trade your seat and rear cowl for an airtech cowl and a piece of neoprene,

Or how about this: you could probably save thirty pounds by ditching your leathers and helmet in favor of a speedo and sandles!!! Course, that would make dragging your knee a real BITCH!