PDA

View Full Version : Cycles South

Ghost
Wed Jun 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM
Always heard about this movie, and it's been sitting in my Netflix queue for probably a year.

Finally watched it tonight. Definitely on that hippy-dippy campy vibe, but I suppose it's part of being a time capsule from 1971. Maybe if you were actually alive during that era it wouldn't seem so fake & forced when you watch it now, but at least it's accidentally/unintentionally funny.

Biggest take-away is that I really can't believe how easy it was back then to just pick up and ride wherever the hell you wanted.

The bikes all suck by today's standards, but the fact that they just went cross-country at whim, rode along active railroad tracks, fished without permits, and did things that would get you arrested today is pretty strange to modern sensibilities.

Can't say it's a great movie, definitely think On Any Sunday is a better documentary, but I think Cycles South's amusing as a slice of motorcycling culture's past.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jun 28th, 2012, 07:52 AM
I was a kid during that era and the movie gives me a huge shot of nostalgia. For that, I am grateful!

Ghost
Thu Jun 28th, 2012, 12:22 PM
I was a kid during that era and the movie gives me a huge shot of nostalgia. For that, I am grateful!

I didn't exist in 1971, but from what I can tell of life in the USA, it seems like all you did was get high/drunk, fuck everything that moved (Free Love!), dodge the draft and take 4-month long road trips where $300 dollars gets you from Denver to the Panama Canal and back...

I don't think you could fly to Panama for $300 today, and if you banged every whore in 5 countries you'd have every disease known to man--assuming the Mexican cartels didn't just rob, rape and kill you on the way.

I guess it really was a different time back then, and I can see why my parents would wax nostalgic about it...

For those who've seen the movie--did they buy those Kawasaki 175s? I couldn't tell if they rented them, bought them, or stole them...