PDA

View Full Version : Nice, huh? Girl gets arrested for warning of speed trap.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 07:38 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/video/speed-trap-warning-sign-gets-080000521.html

I always warn oncoming by flashing my brights 3 times, then repeating that. I got in trouble once as a cop saw the reflection on a sign after I passed him and pulled me over and chewed my ass....but evidently couldn't do anything.

Ghosty
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Evidently they CAN do something. This is the same situation pretty much as that guy that got a ticket for flashing his highbeams warning of an upcoming speed trap. I think I saw a thread here a couple/few months ago?...

Cops claim he was "obstruction of justice", or whatever that played out thing is they use whenever they can.

mistykz
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Wasn't that guy let off under the pretense that it was a form of speech, or something along those lines?

madvlad
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:34 AM
I did that at 225 and Parker yesterday when I was on my way back from a roadside call. Cop just gave me a look on his motorcycle like "is this dude serious?".... Yes, I was and don't care.

asp_125
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:35 AM
Cops don't like it when you interfere with their revenue stream. :321:

rforsythe
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Didn't watch the vid, did she get arrested for obstruction of justice? I once heard a local cop tell me he could do that if he saw someone driving with a radar detector as well, but IMO that's a stretch and likely to get thrown out - not to mention pisses a lot of people off.

grim
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:45 AM
radar detectors are legal in CO so they cannot do shit about it.

You cannot get a ticket for "warning" that there are officers ahead that is Freedom of speech, that would be like an officer pulling us over if he understood what we meant when we pat the top of our helmet warning other riders, sure he can pull us over but he cannot give us a ticket. However the officer can ticket you for "failure to dim your lights when facing oncoming vehicles" your high beams cannot be on when any vehicle is present that may cause a distraction, or temporary blindness.

Nick_Ninja
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Cops don't like it when you interfere with their ego. :321:

fixored :D

Matty
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
that would be like an officer pulling us over if he understood what we meant when we pat the top of our helmet warning other riders,

All traffic cops know that gesture....

Jmetz
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Hopefully a passerby will testify that she wasn't in the street.

Jmetz
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Didn't watch the vid, did she get arrested for obstruction of justice? I once heard a local cop tell me he could do that if he saw someone driving with a radar detector as well, but IMO that's a stretch and likely to get thrown out - not to mention pisses a lot of people off.

Initially the told her obstruction but the actual ticket was for being in the street when a sidewalk was present. She wasn't in the street.

Titus
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I see the ACLU coming to her aid, which they should.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 09:41 AM
So could someone get a ticket for tapping on their helmet when they see a cop on their bike?

Ghosty
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 09:42 AM
I see the ACLU coming to her aid, which they should.
Side-note, interestingly enough they're coming to the aid of the KKK, specifically to defend their right to "Adopt-a-Highway" (sponsorship/litter pickup) in some other state.

I believe they should in this case as well.

salsashark
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Initially the told her obstruction but the actual ticket was for being in the street when a sidewalk was present. She wasn't in the street.

So she says now... How many perfect little victims are there in this world?!

"Oh, I did nothing wrong and the bad man locked me up..."

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/co4x4/stirpot.gif

I'd be interested in seeing the dash cam from the cop car...

asp_125
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 09:58 AM
She got the "being in the street" ticket because it was the only thing he could trump her up on it. There was no law that prohibited warning signage. I once saw a little kid on a bicycle doing the same thing .. yeah, bet the cops will arrest a little kid too.

If there was a dash cam on the cruiser a lawyer could ask for it to be shown, I'd bet it shows she wasn't in the street.

I`m Batman
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Or just don't speed.
I used to do the whole flash thing but now that I'm older and have kids, it's not safe and I hope they (speeders) get tickets. The cops are just doing their job. If you don't speed, you won't get a ticket and nothing to complain about. Pretty simple.

Can you imagine if there were no cops out there giving out speeding tickets? People would go NUTS! Can you imagine how many more accidents we will see?

Jmetz
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
So she says now... How many perfect little victims are there in this world?!

"Oh, I did nothing wrong and the bad man locked me up..."

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/images/smilies/co4x4/stirpot.gif

I'd be interested in seeing the dash cam from the cop car...

From the video I can see no reason she would've needed to be in the street.

Ghosty
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Or just don't speed.
I used to do the whole flash thing but now that I'm older and have kids, it's not safe and I hope they (speeders) get tickets. The cops are just doing their job. If you don't speed, you won't get a ticket and nothing to complain about. Pretty simple.
You might be the only person on this board who drives exactly the speed limit or under, hahaa. The main argument here is not about speeding, but rather about this girls rights being infringed upon, practically police harrassment over her excercising freedom of speech. If she was holding a sign that was highly offensive, threatening people, insighting a riot, or something like that, it MIGHT be a different case, but it wasn't.

I agree there should be a limited amount of reckless driving or excessive speeding, especially in traffic or inside the city & neighborhoods, and we as offenders deserve tickets IF we get caught. BUT WE ALL pretty much drive at least 5-10 over posted limits, in a safe manner, on a very regular basis, everyday.

I`m Batman
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 10:40 AM
haha... I do go about 5-7 mph over most of the time... :) but usually under in the neighborhood streets

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 10:49 AM
This.....

salsashark
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 11:37 AM
From the video I can see no reason she would've needed to be in the street.

and I saw nothing in the posted video claiming that was the exact spot that she was arrested... with the three foot grass strip before the street started.

You know... because the media is completely honest and would NEVER take certain liberties like film an interview in a different location to imply something other then what happened.

Oh... and the police who beat the crap out of Rodney King had nothing better to do that night, so they went out and decided to go all ballistic on this poor innocent Rodney, just on his way home from Whole Foods with organic milk for a new litter of kittens

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__hA02jWvWIg/TOAdkWXYNuI/AAAAAAAAAHU/wkwpXdpKWFg/s1600/kitten.jpg

Ghost
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 11:51 AM
Can you imagine if there were no cops out there giving out speeding tickets? People would go NUTS! Can you imagine how many more accidents we will see?

Bullshit.

When Montana had "reasonable and prudent" instead of an actual speed limit, most surveys and studies found that driving became safer.

http://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox

Summary of the effects of no daytime speed limits:

1. Fatal accident rates on these highways reached an all time low in modern times.
2. On 2 lane highways with no posted limits the frequency of multiple vehicle accidents dropped 5 percent.
3. Seat belt usage is up to 91% percent, with only a secondary enforcement law.
4. Posted limits and their enforcement, had either no or a negative effect on traffic safety.
5. As predicted by the engineering models, traffic speeds did not significantly change and remained consistent with other western states with like conditions.
6. The people of Montana and its visitors continued to drive at speeds they were comfortable with, which were often speeds lower than their counter parts on high density urban freeways* with low posted limits.
7. The theory behind posting speed limits on these classifications of highway is to reduce conflicts in traffic flow (caused by speed differential), thereby reducing accidents. On the two lane highways flow conflict accidents (multiple vehicle) decreased when the limits were removed. When added to the Autobahn results and the no change found on Montana’s Interstates, this thesis needs to be rethought because the field data on highways without posted limits doesn’t support it. With the expectation of higher speed differentials, multiple vehicle accident rates declined even when the actual speeds did not change significantly. This suggests the changes are the result of positive motorists behavior (courtesy and due caution).
8. In traffic engineering findings (http://www.hwysafety.com/brief_mi_fptenents.htm) the vehicles traveling faster than average have the lowest accident rates, yet they are the primary targets of speed enforcement. To this we can now add, with speed limits there was no positive correlation between speed enforcement and accident rates on rural free flowing highways, if anything, the highways became less safe.
MONTANA PARADOX: Is that the desired safety effect from posting speed limits was achieved by removing them.

Followup Footnote: At the end of 2001, a year after Montana implemented its new NHTSA backed and sponsored enforcement program, fatalities increased significantly. Now another year of data is in (2002), Montana just recorded a 20 year high in fatal accidents.

We have two choices, we can follow those policies that result in a net reduction in fatalities, or those that have been documented for over 70 years to actually increase fatalities. After decades of NHTSA propagated myths, we as a nation have chosen the later.

Supporting an industry, according to the FHWA (http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irre0.html), that issues over 90 percent of its speed citations for "speed limits which are set artificially low... misallocate resources, apprehending and prosecuting motorists driving at safe speeds".

"Reasonable and Prudent"

Basic Rule Speed Restriction

Motorists were to comply with the "basic rule" speed limit when they drove, in a manner that did not unreasonably endanger other highway users. To ensure this, drivers were to be constantly alert to changing traffic conditions and adjust their speed as conditions varied. These conditions were numerous and could change rapidly. Thus drivers were to be alert for:

the amount and type of traffic sharing the highway with them. The traffic could have been heavy or light and may have included trucks, cars, motorhomes, farm equipment, and motorcycles.
changing weather conditions that could have affected driver visibility and road conditions. These conditions could have included fog or snow and road surface conditions such as water or ice.
the type of vehicle they were driving, particularly the condition of their brakes and the weight of their vehicle, which affects braking ability.
the character of the highway they were driving. Drivers were to adjust their speed for hills or for winding and narrow roads.
the presence of intersections, railway grade crossings or pedestrians.

Driving in a careful and prudent manner, complying with the basic rule, required drivers to be constantly alert and mindful of their personal responsibility not only for their own safety but also for that of other highway users.

http://www.us-highways.com/montana/reasonable.htm

Jmetz
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
and I saw nothing in the posted video claiming that was the exact spot that she was arrested... with the three foot grass strip before the street started.

You know... because the media is completely honest and would NEVER take certain liberties like film an interview in a different location to imply something other then what happened.

Oh... and the police who beat the crap out of Rodney King had nothing better to do that night, so they went out and decided to go all ballistic on this poor innocent Rodney, just on his way home from Whole Foods with organic milk for a new litter of kittens

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/__hA02jWvWIg/TOAdkWXYNuI/AAAAAAAAAHU/wkwpXdpKWFg/s1600/kitten.jpg

I wont argue about the media. As personally being a victim of police bullshit and lying on several occasions, in this case I'll take her word over theirs.

salsashark
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:11 PM
I wont argue about the media. As personally being a victim of police bullshit and lying on several occasions, in this case I'll take her word over theirs.

Seeing friends of mine (LEO) get wrapped up in bullshit lawsuits because they did their job, I refuse to take one side over the other... That's why I would ask to see the dash cam.

Three sides to every story: He said, She said, and the truth...

They shall never meet.

Ghosty
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:19 PM
<off-topic> Bahahaa, yeah, those cops (like O.J. Simpson) were all completely innocent and definitely didn't use excessive force.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/facepalm.gif

P.S. "Jury of his Peers"?, LMAO! The jury pool didn't include one black, and the judge moved the venue to Simi Valley, an 80% white upper middle-class county. Yeah, those cops were innocent!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:23 PM

Ahhhh, the RK beating. Yeah, I agree. But, that's a whole 'nuther topic. :)

I'm going to take her word for where she was standing. If it was caught on dashcam, we'll see. I know the cop was PISSED when he caught me doing it and told me he could arrest me for obstruction. THAT, I don't think would hold up, since you're not resisting arrest or not following an order.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
<off-topic> Bahahaa, yeah, those cops (like O.J. Simpson) were all completely innocent and definitely didn't use excessive force.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/facepalm.gif

P.S. "Jury of his Peers"?, LMAO! The jury pool didn't include one black, and the judge moved the venue to Simi Valley, an 80% white upper middle-class county. Yeah, those cops were innocent!
What, and whte people can't possible be unbiased? Look what happened in the OJ trial. Think he was innocent? But, we're straying off-topic.

I`m Batman
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Bullshit.

When Montana had "reasonable and prudent" instead of an actual speed limit, most surveys and studies found that driving became safer.

http://www.motorists.org/press/montana-no-speed-limit-safety-paradox

"Reasonable and Prudent"

http://www.us-highways.com/montana/reasonable.htm

Yea, but there're like what... 10 people that live in Montana? (I've been there.) Try that on I-25. :lol:

Ghosty
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 12:42 PM
What, and whte people can't possible be unbiased? Look what happened in the OJ trial. Think he was innocent? But, we're straying off-topic.
Of course ANYONE can be. I'm just posting some interesting tidbits about why those cops might've skated. Who knows, would need to watch the trial in its entirety to make up an educated opinion. :) And yes, OJ was totally guilty and got away with it. I was being sarcastic when saying he was innocent.

Yes, back on-topic...

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Jun 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Yea, but there're like what... 10 people that live in Montana? (I've been there.) Try that on I-25. :lol:

I'm convinced it would work ANYWHERE. In general, I find that when boundaries are removed in inherently risky group situations (ie. driving), people tend toward reasonable and cautious behavior--no one's lookin' to die on their way home from work.

And the number of people obviously have nothing to do with this factor, as even with the relatively low number of drivers in Montana, accidents and fatalities increased when speed limits were re-implemented. 10 people or not, more accidents happened because speed limits are NOT a safety measure, but a revenue-generating one and nothing else.

I've believed my whole life that it's not "speed" that causes accidents and kills people, it "bad driving". "Speeding" does NOT equal "bad driving". Speed may be one of the factors involved with the severity of the accidents, but not always, and rarely is it the sole reason the accident happened in the first place.*

*I have nothing to back up this claim but 19 years of being among the driving populace. I admittedly speed all the time (and get caught more than my fair share), have never once caused an accident, and have only been involved in a single accident--I was 16 and speed was certainly the culprit as I was speeding down a country dirt road and straightened out a turn at night because I was late for curfew. But I've witnessed plenty of other accidents where speed was not at all a factor and the results were still awful.

Aaron
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:09 AM
I think what she did was legal, so long as she did not step into the roadway, or interfere with pedestrian traffic. I would not have messed with her, I would have just moved to a different spot haha. But I also hide in plain sight when I look for speeders, in a fully-marked car. If you're not paying enough attention to slam the brakes well in advance, then you're the dangerous speeder that needs a coupon.

These statements irritate me, because they are completely ignorant. We are not pressured in any way, shape, or form to issue tickets. Ask Clovis. He spent 10 hours in my car. If I wanted to pull a car over, I did. If I didn't feel like it, I didn't. Same goes for a ticket. With some exceptions, it's completely up to the Officer on whether or not you're getting a ticket. In 3.5 years of LE, I have never once been even spoken to about how many citations I write, or how many cars I stop. I've had days of 15 tickets, and I've had months where I didn't write any. Nobody cares, or even notices.

That being said, our Sergeant posts statistics once a month. Among many other things, it tracks traffic stops and traffic citations. There's a few Officers that generally average 1-2 of each a month. The only pressure they get is from the other Officers, and that's because they are lazy in every other aspect of the job as well. But pressure from the administration? Nonexistant.

Lastly, there are no direct financial benefits to writing tickets for us. Quite frankly, I'm not here to make the city money, and I don't care how much I make them. Most of the tickets I write, the money doesn't even go to the city, it goes to the state. There are indirect financial benefits to writing tickets though. About 10% of the suspects will plead not guilty and take it to trial. Since court does not occur during my shift, I get overtime for going to court (2 hours). So the more tickets I write, the more I have to go to court, the more OT I get. But that's it.

that would be like an officer pulling us over if he understood what we meant when we pat the top of our helmet warning other riders, sure he can pull us over but he cannot give us a ticket. However the officer can ticket you for "failure to dim your lights when facing oncoming vehicles" your high beams cannot be on when any vehicle is present that may cause a distraction, or temporary blindness.
Technically I can stop and cite you for tapping your helmet, the law states your hands must remain on the handlebar at all times. But Obstruction? I think not. And you're right about the flashing headlights, that is illegal, but not for Obstruction IMO.

I'm not going to go too far into the speed kills argument. But, this cannot be argued:

As speed increases, the chances of being involved in an accident rise exponentially. As speed increases, the damage and injuries resulting from said accident will get worse. These are facts, the laws of physics.

#1Townie
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:34 AM
Sooooooooooooo what youre saying its that there is no government conspiracy to use cops to keep the poor and the poorer poorer? Sounds like a company line to me......... Anyone seen my tinfoil hat?

Ghost
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Germany and Italy have far fewer accidents and fatalities per mile on their autobahns and autostrasses than we have on the I-25 with it's current speed limits.

I`m Batman
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:39 AM
People in Europe knows how to drive. People in US don't. :)
And there's a difference between no speed limit and no speed limit only on some flat long straight stretch of highway in the middle of nowhere.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Aaron, the more I read about what you post, the more I respect you as a LEO. However, I think it can be safely said that you do not represent the majority in your field. I get nabbed by the bike cop who parks around the corner or a blind turn and literally climbs up on the berm and sneakily peeks his laser gun over the crest while his partner waves people over. This is the type of tactic that reeks of revenue collection and not safety enforcement. It's THOSE guys that give LEOs like you a bad name.

Drano
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 04:17 PM
When I was driving across Germany a few years ago, I noticed that there are some short sections on the Autobahn with speed limits, but these are, as far as I know, located in areas where it would be unsafe to drive at high speed, and they are enforced with speed cameras.
I agree with Batman, it is not the lack of a speed limit in the EU, but the level of training that they receive. Unlike the US, they don't view their driving privilege as an entitlement.

Cars-R-Coffins
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Flashing lights = freedom of speech.

Aaron, you work for one department, other departments do have "performance expectations" (AKA quotas). As far as you writing someone for tapping their helmet out flashing lights... You must never have written either off those two because you'd soon acquire the name "Rookie" from the DA's office right after they tossed that $h1t out. And I won't be responding to any response from you because as I've read in too many other posts, you're just a know-it-all LEO.

Husky
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM
I think what she did was legal, so long as she did not step into the roadway, or interfere with pedestrian traffic. I would not have messed with her, I would have just moved to a different spot haha. But I also hide in plain sight when I look for speeders, in a fully-marked car. If you're not paying enough attention to slam the brakes well in advance, then you're the dangerous speeder that needs a coupon.

These statements irritate me, because they are completely ignorant. We are not pressured in any way, shape, or form to issue tickets. Ask Clovis. He spent 10 hours in my car. If I wanted to pull a car over, I did. If I didn't feel like it, I didn't. Same goes for a ticket. With some exceptions, it's completely up to the Officer on whether or not you're getting a ticket. In 3.5 years of LE, I have never once been even spoken to about how many citations I write, or how many cars I stop. I've had days of 15 tickets, and I've had months where I didn't write any. Nobody cares, or even notices.

That being said, our Sergeant posts statistics once a month. Among many other things, it tracks traffic stops and traffic citations. There's a few Officers that generally average 1-2 of each a month. The only pressure they get is from the other Officers, and that's because they are lazy in every other aspect of the job as well. But pressure from the administration? Nonexistant.

Lastly, there are no direct financial benefits to writing tickets for us. Quite frankly, I'm not here to make the city money, and I don't care how much I make them. Most of the tickets I write, the money doesn't even go to the city, it goes to the state. There are indirect financial benefits to writing tickets though. About 10% of the suspects will plead not guilty and take it to trial. Since court does not occur during my shift, I get overtime for going to court (2 hours). So the more tickets I write, the more I have to go to court, the more OT I get. But that's it.

Technically I can stop and cite you for tapping your helmet, the law states your hands must remain on the handlebar at all times. But Obstruction? I think not. And you're right about the flashing headlights, that is illegal, but not for Obstruction IMO.

I'm not going to go too far into the speed kills argument. But, this cannot be argued:

As speed increases, the chances of being involved in an accident rise exponentially. As speed increases, the damage and injuries resulting from said accident will get worse. These are facts, the laws of physics.

You are suppose to enforce the law, that we get. But your statement of "If I wanted to pull a car over I did" and if I didnt feel like it I didnt" So I guess we all better hope that all the law breakers out there catch you on a day, you feel like enforecing the law??

Also your obvious lack of fondness for speed explains why you ride a SV1000.

Ghost
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 04:52 PM
People in Europe knows how to drive. People in US don't. :)
And there's a difference between no speed limit and no speed limit only on some flat long straight stretch of highway in the middle of nowhere.

Gross oversimplification. The autobahn is in a more populated area of Germany than 95% of Montana.

European drivers are no more skilled than Americans and they log fewer hours/miles per year than we do. The autobahn is strictly patrolled, monitored and maintained, but there's no significant difference between drivers here and there once you're out of the initial training.

Montana proved autobahns could work here, and only unsupported knee-jerk reactionism killed it, there were no inherent or endemic safety issues, as various studies proved.

#1Townie
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 06:09 PM
A little harsh on aaron arent you guys? For the hate for cops you guys are missing a good chance to see into the mind of your enemy. I know I'm one of the most out spoken cop haters but when they want to give their side of the story I listen. simmer down guys. He never said he would write those tickets just it COULD.

SNAFU
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Also your obvious lack of fondness for speed explains why you ride a SV1000.

Off-topic: I like speed, I have a sv1000. It's plenty fast, it's all pov.

Aaron, I agree with many of your posts as with the one you posted. Sometimes when you post on here I think your a glutton for punishment.

As for the girl getting arrested, I'm not going to believe a girl over a LEO or vice versa. Ya there are some POS cops, but there POS people in every job. I don't know this girl, she's prolly some meth head junkie who hates cops cuz they arrested her baby daddy...just sayin.

Ol'Skool
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Our enemy? I hate repo men for capitalizing on a poor economy and the unfortunes of others but the enemy? Cmon. Alqueda, discrimination and slow drivers in the fast lane are the enemy.

rluper
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:31 PM
What idiot holds up a frickin sign like that? Flickin lights is one thing, that sign is just a middle finger to the cops. lol

#1Townie
Sat Jun 30th, 2012, 11:47 PM
Our enemy? I hate repo men for capitalizing on a poor economy and the unfortunes of others but the enemy? Cmon. Alqueda, discrimination and slow drivers in the fast lane are the enemy.

Capitalizing?? On some idoit that bought shit they shouldn't have? For returning property to the owners after someone didn't do what they said? For keeping rates down? You think a bank would ever give a loan on a car if there was no way to get out back?

So while I have your foot in your mouth let me throw this out there. The way we... As in this company I own do things is something that a I'm sure you narrow minded operation repo watching fools would never understand.

We work for the close. Not the recovery. Our primary goal its to re open communication with the debtor and the bank. Once this happens we help give time to make the payments so people can keep their shit.

So before you accuse us of being these cold blooded fools understand its a job that no matter what YOU think out has to be done. If not by me someone else will do it. Only question would be would they even give a damn. We work very hard to help people keep their things.

now back to the topic at hand. If you care to further this conversation you can pm me.

Mac020
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 07:04 AM
What idiot holds up a frickin sign like that? Flickin lights is one thing, that sign is just a middle finger to the cops. lol

She should have written "FLASH, FLASH, FLASH" or "TAP, TAP, TAP" on her stupid little sign.

If I ever get stopped for flashing my lights, I'm going to say I saw a deer!

Aaron
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 09:30 AM
Sooooooooooooo what youre saying its that there is no government conspiracy to use cops to keep the poor and the poorer poorer? Sounds like a company line to me......... Anyone seen my tinfoil hat?
Absolutely not. I've offered you a ride-along before, it's still on the table. You can see what a mid-size agency does. I don't hide anything. I'm proud of everything about my agency, there's very little that goes on "behind the curtain" that I'm ashamed of. But the stuff that is there I won't hide.

Aaron, the more I read about what you post, the more I respect you as a LEO. However, I think it can be safely said that you do not represent the majority in your field. I get nabbed by the bike cop who parks around the corner or a blind turn and literally climbs up on the berm and sneakily peeks his laser gun over the crest while his partner waves people over. This is the type of tactic that reeks of revenue collection and not safety enforcement. It's THOSE guys that give LEOs like you a bad name.
Thank you, but I can truthfully say most of my agency's Officers are clean, honest, hard-working guys with a common goal. We have our bad apples of course but by and large we has a really good group of guys. But my agency is a bit different than most, traffic enforcement is not a high priority to us. Crime control is. And we're so under-staffed that we just don't have time or cops to do those tricks you mentioned.

Flashing lights = freedom of speech.

Aaron, you work for one department, other departments do have "performance expectations" (AKA quotas). As far as you writing someone for tapping their helmet out flashing lights... You must never have written either off those two because you'd soon acquire the name "Rookie" from the DA's office right after they tossed that $h1t out. And I won't be responding to any response from you because as I've read in too many other posts, you're just a know-it-all LEO.
Flashing lights = failed to dim lights when approaching an oncoming vehicle. A class 1 traffic infraction actually ;-)

I'm just trying to give people factual information, from a truly informed person, about the actual workings of a law enforcement agency that serves a population of 150,000 or so. You will always find a way to not believe what I say to justify your feelings on law enforcement, but we really aren't out there to screw anybody.

Ghost
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 12:06 PM
Absolutely not. I've offered you a ride-along before, it's still on the table. You can see what a mid-size agency does. I don't hide anything. I'm proud of everything about my agency, there's very little that goes on "behind the curtain" that I'm ashamed of. But the stuff that is there I won't hide.

Thank you, but I can truthfully say most of my agency's Officers are clean, honest, hard-working guys with a common goal. We have our bad apples of course but by and large we has a really good group of guys. But my agency is a bit different than most, traffic enforcement is not a high priority to us. Crime control is. And we're so under-staffed that we just don't have time or cops to do those tricks you mentioned.

Which agency are you? I think a ride-along would be fun, if it's open to more than just Townie.

#1Townie
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM

Flashing lights = failed to dim lights when approaching an oncoming vehicle. A class 1 traffic infraction actually ;-)

I'm just trying to give people factual information, from a truly informed person, about the actual workings of a law enforcement agency that serves a population of 150,000 or so. You will always find a way to not believe what I say to justify your feelings on law enforcement, but we really aren't out there to screw anybody.

Lol bro I was being a smart ass. I will take your offer for a ride along. Pm me what I have to do.

Aaron
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 09:59 PM
I'll be glad to take both of you, but it's going to have to wait unless you want to share my desk. I'm still on light duty because of my hand. I'll let ya know when I'm back. And though some of you may know, I can't name my agency online by policy, they are embarrassed to be affiliated with their inferior rank and file.

As for my speed addiction, it's moreso an acceleration addiction. But it makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty. I love my cars and my bike. Chasing criminals around is merely something that pays for who I truly am. If you've never driven a 487hp Fiero, it's psychotic.

rforsythe
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 10:51 PM
So while I have your foot in your mouth let me throw this out there. The way we... As in this company I own do things is something that a I'm sure you narrow minded operation repo watching fools would never understand.

Wait, so you're saying you don't have some fat psycho bitch with 80 tats and a tongue spear working there droppin attitude? I thought ALL repo companies had one of those on deck.

Aaron
Sun Jul 1st, 2012, 11:03 PM
That chick is sexy. If townie does have a girl like that on crew I want to meet her!

Ghost
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:26 AM
I'll be glad to take both of you, but it's going to have to wait unless you want to share my desk. I'm still on light duty because of my hand. I'll let ya know when I'm back. And though some of you may know, I can't name my agency online by policy, they are embarrassed to be affiliated with their inferior rank and file.

As for my speed addiction, it's moreso an acceleration addiction. But it makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty. I love my cars and my bike. Chasing criminals around is merely something that pays for who I truly am. If you've never driven a 487hp Fiero, it's psychotic.

Guess I missed my calling & shoulda been a cop...

#1Townie
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 08:19 AM
Wait, so you're saying you don't have some fat psycho bitch with 80 tats and a tongue spear working there droppin attitude? I thought ALL repo companies had one of those on deck.

Ours is on back order. That particular model is in very high demand.

Ghosty
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 09:41 AM
The mutant yokels on Lizard Lick & Operation Repo are truly scary.

DFab
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 10:43 AM
Technically I can stop and cite you for tapping your helmet, the law states your hands must remain on the handlebar at all times.

What law is this, and how does it square with hand signaling turns?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:13 PM
Which agency are you? I think a ride-along would be fun, if it's open to more than just Townie.
Don't worry, on the ride-along, townie would be in the back...... :)

grim
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:40 PM
Wasn't gay until C_M made it that way.... coincidence? I think not.

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM

Interesting question....

#1Townie
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
Don't worry, on the ride-along, townie would be in the back...... :)

Hahahaha ohhhhhhhhhhh you guy I see what youre doing there.

Ghosty
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:33 PM
+1

Especially since the DMV driving handbook actually talks about hand signaling, doesn't it?

Ghost
Mon Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:57 PM
Wasn't gay until C_M made it that way.... coincidence? I think not.

http://nfpusa.com/e2.elkmating.jpg

Ghost
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:29 PM
http://almostdumb.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/slow-down-the-cop-hides-behind-this-sign.jpg

Aaron
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 02:55 PM

I'll need to find it to be sure, I just assume it's a law considering we have a law concerning the same thing on bicycles (Must keep both hands on handlebar at all times). In each statute it certainly has a provision/exception for hand signaling.

Got my flame suit on, I'm ready for the "You're a cop you should know the law Wrabble Wrabble Wrabble." Well I don't. Probably because I never stop motorcyclists. Bicyclists yes, and that's why I know that we have the same law concerning bicycles :)

DFab
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM
I'll need to find it to be sure, I just assume it's a law considering we have a law concerning the same thing on bicycles (Must keep both hands on handlebar at all times). In each statute it certainly has a provision/exception for hand signaling.

Got my flame suit on, I'm ready for the "You're a cop you should know the law Wrabble Wrabble Wrabble." Well I don't. Probably because I never stop motorcyclists. Bicyclists yes, and that's why I know that we have the same law concerning bicycles :)

42-4-1412. Operation of bicycles and other human-powered vehicles
(7) A person operating a bicycle or electrical assisted bicycle shall keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times.

The only thing I've found about motorcycles is that we can't carry a package or anything else that prevents us from keeping both hands on the bars.

Aaron
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM
We have a municipal section that reads both hands ;)

#1Townie
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
I can ride my bike with no handle bars... Just saying.

Aaron
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
I can take apart a remote control and I can almost get it back together.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 3rd, 2012, 08:31 PM
Lol

DFab
Wed Jul 4th, 2012, 11:45 AM
We have a municipal section that reads both hands ;)

I didn't know municipalities could make their own, more restrictive, traffic laws.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jul 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Sounds pretty fishy to me

#1Townie
Wed Jul 4th, 2012, 02:04 PM
I didn't know municipalities could make their own, more restrictive, traffic laws. they can add to any state law.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Jul 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM
they can add to any state law.

Not sure that's true with regard to traffic and gun laws. You have some additional info to support this? Thanks

rforsythe
Wed Jul 4th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Not sure that's true with regard to traffic and gun laws. You have some additional info to support this? Thanks

They've tried with gun laws, it usually gets struck down as unconstitutional. It happens frequently with traffic laws however -- get a ticket from a local sheriff, they're usually citing their local laws AFAIK.

dm_gsxr
Wed Jul 4th, 2012, 05:48 PM
Side-note, interestingly enough they're coming to the aid of the KKK, specifically to defend their right to "Adopt-a-Highway" (sponsorship/litter pickup) in some other state.

I believe they should in this case as well.

Possibly the Maryland one although Maryland simply canceled the program outright vs fighting the KKK over it.

Carl