PDA

View Full Version : Bright Lights

ccm84
Tue Sep 23rd, 2003, 01:58 AM
I ordered a new racing front from Targa for my bike. I am going to be having my friend who works at an accessory shop install two lights on it, probably one over the other. How much is the max power I can drain, amps I can expect constantly/peak, etc. I have an older gsx-r 750 w/ a stock alternator. Should I get an aftermarket alternator?Anyone recommend certain lights?
-Chase-

mikesf4i
Tue Sep 23rd, 2003, 08:02 PM
How many watts were your stock lights? I wouldnt go over that amount cuz your bike may not fully charge your battery if it is using all of its alternator output to run your lights.

-gary
Wed Sep 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM
Most lights pull about 7amps total on high, so I'd stay around there. You'll need some extra room for startup and switching to high or you'll pop a 10amp every time and then you'll have to run a 15 or a 20, which, I wouldn't do. You can almost weld with a 20 on 12v.

PIAA has always made really nice lighting, but you'll pay for it. I don't know of any alternative to them off-hand though.

mikesf4i
Wed Sep 24th, 2003, 10:25 PM
you may want to check out Baja Designs. I know its all dirt bike stuff but the HID lights are fantastic!