PDA

View Full Version : With all these stolen bike threads popping up...

dirkterrell
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 11:15 AM
I thought this might make for some informative reading for everyone. A discussion led by someone who used to steal and chop up bikes for a living:

http://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/t5shp/ex_thief_chopshop_operator_ama/

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
read that one a month or better ago. Great read and worth the repost!

Unless you read faster than me, there goes your Friday afternoon folks.

TransNone13
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
I read that before, but now I'm out to door to buy some locks. I will be moving to AZ close to the Mexican border where I can't find a garage for the life of me. Might even rent a POD and leave it in the lot.

tecknojoe
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 12:17 PM
This is fucking crazy. I have NEVER seen a string of thefts like this.

rforsythe
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 12:32 PM
I read that before, but now I'm out to door to buy some locks. I will be moving to AZ close to the Mexican border where I can't find a garage for the life of me. Might even rent a POD and leave it in the lot.

Good luck with that... There are a few places in the country I just wouldn't bring anything nice, and that's one of them.

TransNone13
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Good luck with that... There are a few places in the country I just wouldn't bring anything nice, and that's one of them.

Yeah, I don't have much of a choice. I have to find a place to keep a race bike and another bike I can't afford to get stolen.

cbrjohnny
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 01:35 PM
maybe its time to set up one of these assholes... seems like it would be easy. catch em in the act and take his wallet lol.

salsashark
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
maybe its time to set up one of these assholes... seems like it would be easy. catch em in the act and take his wallet lol.

Let us know how that works out for ya... :lol:

Jmetz
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 01:47 PM

Hold him down and have someone tattoo THIEF on his forehead.

rforsythe
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hold him down and have someone tattoo THIEF on his forehead.

Inglorious Basterds style?

rforsythe
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Yeah, I don't have much of a choice. I have to find a place to keep a race bike and another bike I can't afford to get stolen.

If all they gotta do is cut a padlock to get your bikes, that isn't going to stop them. Park them inside a building. Or lo-jack them so you can see what crack/meth-head is rolling around on your ride.

Sean
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 01:54 PM
...seems like it would be easy. catch em in the act and take his wallet lol.Were you thinking something like this? If so, I'm in! :batman:

http://www.usanimalcontrol.com/squirrel%20trap%20we%20dont%20do.JPG

TransNone13
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 02:13 PM
If all they gotta do is cut a padlock to get your bikes, that isn't going to stop them. Park them inside a building. Or lo-jack them so you can see what crack/meth-head is rolling around on your ride.

I am looking at first floor places to simply bring them inside. Have you had a bad experience down there? Sound pretty heated. I'll be moving to Sierra Vista for 6 months.

Keyser Soze
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 02:27 PM

This place is a shit hole. Why on earth are you moving here. Within a week of living here someone broke into my 92 Volvo Wagon and took everything. And when I say everything, they took the 17 cents in change, my prescription glasses and my last piece of gum. And this in north phoenix. Leave your car too long in a parking lot and you'll come out to a new "high flow" exhaust system. Fuck this place!

:banghead:

/rant

rforsythe
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM
I am looking at first floor places to simply bring them inside. Have you had a bad experience down there? Sound pretty heated. I'll be moving to Sierra Vista for 6 months.

This place is a shit hole. Why on earth are you moving here. Within a week of living here someone broke into my 92 Volvo Wagon and took everything. And when I say everything, they took the 17 cents in change, my prescription glasses and my last piece of gum. And this in north phoenix. Leave your car too long in a parking lot and you'll come out to a new "high flow" exhaust system. Fuck this place!

/rant

There you go. Do minimal research and you will learn a lot.

mdub
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Inglorious Basterds style?

at first i remembered the scalpings. then it dawned on me someone's character used a knife to carve whatever on forehead....the reciever's acting was so believable. watching it was painful....

mdub
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 02:38 PM

/rant

yrs back here in denver wife's car stationary window was broken just to get petty change in ash tray.

another time we got ripped off was when we were in our first apt. it had a storage locker. we just got married and we put our wedding gifts in there. a week later all was gone.

TransNone13
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 02:53 PM

/rant

Captains Career Course @ Ft. Huachuca.

Ghost
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Maybe a padlock will slow them down for longer than the 3min it takes to steal a BMW 1M series coupe in the UK:

http://jalopnik.com/5923802/watch-hackers-steal-a-bmw-in-three-minutes

Keyser Soze
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM
yrs back here in denver wife's car stationary window was broken just to get petty change in ash tray.

another time we got ripped off was when we were in our first apt. it had a storage locker. we just got married and we put our wedding gifts in there. a week later all was gone.

Gotta hope Karma catches up to fucks like that.

I know of several people who were moved out here and had their moving trucks broken into while staying in a hotel. Lost everything. Fawckin thieves!

cbrjohnny
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Let us know how that works out for ya... :lol:

we'll have to test it out at ur house, i can leave my bike with key in it out front of my house all weekend and it will still be there... what kind a bike u got? lol

tstevens
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM
That thread is nuts! Just read through half of it and wow. The key is to not have it stolen in the first place, just make sure it has enough of a deterrent to take some time, which doesn't even work sometimes. WTF has this world come to?

TinkerinWstuff
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 04:54 PM
WTF has this world come to?

Mostly started when you were no longer allowed to kick a guy's ass for being dumb or jacking your shit.

mdub
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 05:04 PM
That thread is nuts! Just read through half of it and wow. The key is to not have it stolen in the first place, just make sure it has enough of a deterrent to take some time, which doesn't even work sometimes. WTF has this world come to?

corruption.

salsashark
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 05:29 PM
we'll have to test it out at ur house, i can leave my bike with key in it out front of my house all weekend and it will still be there... what kind a bike u got? lol

My house may not be the best option to test your theory. I live at the end of a long cul-de-sac... Anyone coming up my street has business there. Any irregular traffic is easily noticed.

As for the bike, she's safely tucked away in the garage w/o a door leading outside. Also, my bedroom is on top of the garage. There's no way of opening the door without me hearing it. Also, No key, so no way to leave it in the bike.

All that being said, I'm sure if someone wanted it bad enough to break into the house, find the key remote, then break into the garage... If I'm not home, chances are not much else will stop them. If I am, Mr. 870 Express might have something to say...

grim
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM
My house may not be the best option to test your theory. I live at the end of a long cul-de-sac... Anyone coming up my street has business there. Any irregular traffic is easily noticed.

As for the bike, she's safely tucked away in the garage w/o a door leading outside. Also, my bedroom is on top of the garage. There's no way of opening the door without me hearing it. Also, No key, so no way to leave it in the bike.

All that being said, I'm sure if someone wanted it bad enough to break into the house, find the key remote, then break into the garage... If I'm not home, chances are not much else will stop them. If I am, Mr. 870 Express might have something to say...

My bedroom is above my garage as well, if they can ride down the driveway faster than the bullet from my .38 special, well then I guess they have my bike.

rforsythe
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 06:40 PM
My bedroom is above my garage as well, if they can ride down the driveway faster than the bullet from my .38 special, well then I guess they have my bike.

:rolleyes: You do know you're not allowed to cap someone for breaking into your garage and stealing your bike, right? Like, you will go to jail for murder. Make my day law doesn't apply there.

#1Townie
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Yeah grim make my day law oesnt cover that kind of situation. Look at that ol man that is or at least was facing charges.

grim
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hmm well that's weird cause Im pretty sure he was in my house when I shot him officer, oh those blood streaks from the driveway going up to my front doorstep? Nah those were from last week. Lol

Sarcastic post was sarcastic.

salsashark
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Just remember to yell, "he's coming right for us!!!"

#1Townie
Fri Jul 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Damn mexican leaping frog some place i cant spell!

WingZero992
Wed Jul 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Good article. My R6 was stolen a couple months ago. Fortunately enough, I ended up with a better bike out of it.