PDA

View Full Version : Kind of strange question... Drying soaked leathers

MilkMan
Sat Jul 7th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hey all, have a kind of strange question here. I got stuck in all that rain we just had last night and to say that I got wet would be a vast understatement lol! Everything is completely soaked and my boots were full of water up to the ankles lol! My question is, aside from just hanging them in the shower, what can I do to help dry them out and get them to not get that mildew smell stuck in them? Just seeing if anyone has any tips or tricks to clean these after a big rain storm.
-Mick-

mauser72
Sat Jul 7th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Dont know about mildew smell but if any of your gear is leather and it got saturated I would recomend getting some leather conditioner i've had leather get so wet that it felt like I could tear it but after using a good leather restorer it felt normal again.

rybo
Sat Jul 7th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Since they are already wet, get some good saddle soap and give them a bath in your bath tub. This will get a lot of the stuff that makes them smell bad out before you hang them up to dry.

Remove everything you can - liner, armor etc. - then hang them up in a place that has good airflow, but no direct sunlight or artificial heat.

You can use the exhaust fan in your bathroom to help keep air flowing, or a fan in any other room, but good airflow is key.

From there the above recommended leather conditioner is a good plan - I would call Nate Butler and ask what he recommends.

Clovis
Sat Jul 7th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hanging in the garage should be sufficent. Maybe put a fan by them to circulate more air.

+1 for Nate, he took my crashed leathers and made them look brand new again!! and for only $100 no less.

Fumet5uNo
Sat Jul 7th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Probly a little late but learned a cool trick back in the day with race suits us a wet dry vac to help the drying process

pannetron
Sun Jul 8th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Probly a little late but learned a cool trick back in the day with race suits us a wet dry vac to help the drying process

Let them air dry then thoroughly lube them up with a good leather conditioner. You can probably kill the smell by using Febreze on them.

asp_125
Sun Jul 8th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Ride em in the sun? :dunno: :D I've ridden through rain and then continued to ride after it cleared up and the jacket dries out none the worse for wear.

MilkMan
Mon Jul 9th, 2012, 07:22 AM
We would have to have a day with some sun first lol!!! We needed this rain, but not so awesome for riding unfortunately. I just hung them in the shower and left the air fan on for a few days and sprayed them with a bit of fabreeze and they seem to be good. They are a little stiff right now, but I'm sure that will get better after a day of riding again.
-Mick-

Zviffer
Mon Jul 9th, 2012, 07:40 AM
http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/69367-Leathers-in-Mom-s-Washing-Machine (http://www.bcsportbikes.com/forum/showthread.php/69367-Leathers-in-Mom-s-Washing-Machine)

MilkMan
Mon Jul 9th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Weird lol!^^ cool read tho!
-Mick-