PDA

View Full Version : Global recession is coming

vort3xr6
Mon Jul 9th, 2012, 11:16 PM
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/roubini-perfect-storm-unfolding-now-104907590.html

Roubini is the guy who predicted the last financial collapse long before everyone else. He currently consults nations on economics on a global scale. If this guy says there is shit going down, I believe him.

I see 50% unemployment, credit system collapse, and complete state and federal government insolvency. Not to show off my tin foil hat, but I believe by 2014 the US economy will be completely collapsed.

What do you think will happen, and when?

(notice I didn't say IF. A collapse WILL happen with 16+ trillion of US debt)

tstevens
Mon Jul 9th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Lol we are in trouble, its crazy out there now. I think that we have major issues in the financial world and I don't really know if there is a cure for it. I think what may be best for the country is to let things fail just as businesses do and let them rebuild. Its been nuts, there is a law preventing everyone from doing anything now-a-days. Things are getting stupid pricey and yet our wages stay the same. Something needs to change, it sucks to look at it like that and I pray that the small businesses and the middle class can expand rather than rapidly shrink like it is doing in the current economic situation. The middle class is vital to the operation of the US and if something isn't done, I think we have a real mess on our hands.

Ghost
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:28 AM
50% Unemployment is another Depression, not just a Recession.

But, that quibble aside, I do think we're fucked. The Old Money will ensure their survival and economic prosperity, and then they'll reset everyone else to Zero.

Welcome to neo-feudalism, plutonomy, and corporate governance.

As to 2014, why wait? Why not make it 2012 and make the Mayans happy?

cody1000rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:33 AM
It will happen shortly after Obama is re elected. Keep your money out of the banks, funds will be reduced by half.

stubbicatt
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Well, so long as the 17 percent keep the 2% safe from the 81% this will continue.

bulldog
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Wow what horrible news :(

Are people really planning to pull their money out of the banks? Does this include money in checking account and savings accounts?

mdub
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 08:40 AM
Time to be a dooms day prepper.

Sean
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 08:52 AM
The world economy is fucked, look at Greece, Spain, Iceland. Everybody was predicting that we would be back to "normal" by this point, and we aren't. Because "normal" was an over inflated economy that can sustain. People are jumping the gun, it's going to be like this for a few more years. I think there will be little up and downs, but shit is going to/needs to change. It may get a little lower, but I don't think it will collapse. We can't keep the market the way it is (healthcare anyone?) because it needs to be changed. I almost feel like it's the natural evolution on the market. We didn't change it, so it changes itself. How are we supposed to come back when JP Morgan is losing 5 billion this year and we're bailing them out? :banghead:

asp_125
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 08:54 AM
I'm investing in mason jar companys, for when folks start stashing their money at home. ;)

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM
It could play out in a variety of ways, and seemingly unrelated and unforeseen events could mushroom into huge catastrophes when panic sets in.

In the best case I can see, we force financial firms to stop the looting that they have been engaged in and allow them to live or die on their own merits. We enforce the law and punish people with jail time for crimes committed. We return to the separation between depositor banking and investing. Debts made in poor judgement or in bad faith will be cleared and huge companies will be bankrupted. That is the way it should be, and what we should have allowed to happen in 2008 rather than stealing from the citizens of this country to cover the bad bets by these firms. It will make for some very tough times for probably 2-3 years. But the economy will rebuild and we will return to a healthy state. It is a tough path, but the outcome is assured.

Or, we take the politically expedient path of kicking the can down the road in an election year. We continue to go at each other with the Republican versus Democrat, conservative versus liberal misdirection bullshit while the last pennies are pulled from out pockets by the masters of both sides. Then we have the collapse Brad refers to. What happens after that is too chaotic to predict, but history is not on the side of those who love personal liberty. When faced with tough times, the allure of tyranny can be overwhelming to many. Global military conflict is a likely possibility.

Our lack of resolve to do the right thing in 2008 leads me to believe that we will probably follow the kick-the-can approach, and I do not relish the idea of such a collapse. But perhaps it is necessary for us as a whole to re-learn the lessons that many of the Founders knew about letting government grow to be too big and powerful, and when usurped by wealthy interests, how it becomes the horrific beast of tyranny. I wish we could collectively be smart enough to avoid this scenario, but I grow less optimistic each day.

tstevens
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
It will happen shortly after Obama is re elected. Keep your money out of the banks, funds will be reduced by half.

You have to quit blaming Obama for all of the problems the country has. He has now been in 4 years trying to correct issue upon issue that was started in the Bush era. About the only thing he can do is try, as congress can't make up there damn minds about anything. Its a bunch of stubborn old farts that think by delaying the issues and propositions at hand that somehow they will "win". Enough is enough, we need to COMPROMISE, not have these stupid stand off arguments that last forever because one side can't compromise with the other. Give me a damn break, its so ridiculous that is has come down to this, fire everyone in congress and fire everyone in the house, it's time to start over, its an old group of people that do whatever is good for them, not anyone else. As of now, yes I would say we are in trouble, but I am not sure how or where to even begin to fix it. Student loan interest is skyrocketing, yet you must have a degree to have any sort of decent paying job now-a-days. I'm thankful that I only have a year left as tuition has gone up 3-12% every year that I have been here. Things are so out of control and I'm not even sure where we would even begin to start.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Hahahaah good ol' Dr. Doom. That guys just can't stop being wrong about things: gold, oil, recovery after the 2008 recession, and now more fear mongering with this. With respect to his current predictions, the guy simply does not understand the Chinese (a cornerstone of his 'perfect storm') demographic and how/why they are doing what they are doing. He had been talking about the first collapse since 2002 and, in my own opinion, got so many things wrong the only thing he has proved is that if you say something long enough it is bound to proved right.

Talk this guy's words with a grain of salt and make your own informed decisions.

grim
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:10 AM
By 2014 in Colorado alone there will be 4 power stations that are scheduled to be shut down, that's over 4,000 jobs lost and energy prices will go up from buying power out of state.

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM
You have to quit blaming Obama for all of the problems the country has. He has now been in 4 years trying to correct issue upon issue that was started in the Bush era. About the only thing he can do is try, as congress can't make up there damn minds about anything. Its a bunch of stubborn old farts that think by delaying the issues and propositions at hand that somehow they will "win". Enough is enough, we need to COMPROMISE, not have these stupid stand off arguments that last forever because one side can't compromise with the other. Give me a damn break, its so ridiculous that is has come down to this, fire everyone in congress and fire everyone in the house, it's time to start over, its an old group of people that do whatever is good for them, not anyone else.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/werd.gif

If anyone predicted we'd be "back to normal" within four years, they were sadly misinformed about both the sheer size of the housing AND financial clusterfucks. Not to mention majorly wishful thinking. Repubs blame Obama for not allowing a quicker recovery with his supposed "business/hiring stifling" policies. Most non-tinfoil & reasonably logical thinking economists know that it would take a good decade+ to rearrange priorities, retool, and re-emerge, and IT WILL BE SLOW. I'm not a complete rose-colored glasses guy, but I'd like to think our economy survived thus far, especially the last decade of turmoil, and will recover, but slowly.

I know most Dems will point to the Clinton prosperity and growth years and Bush ruining it with two wars, while most Repubs will say the big mess was started during the Clinton years with deregulation and not watching the financial industry close enough. But will turn around and be against regulation today. Neither is right, neither is wrong.

Hahahaah good ol' Dr. Doom. That guys just can't stop being wrong about things: gold, oil, recovery after the 2008 recession, and now more fear mongering with this.

Talk this guy's words with a grain of salt and make your own informed decisions.
Yep, pretty much.

By 2014 in Colorado alone there will be 4 power stations that are scheduled to be shut down.
Wow, haven't heard about that. What were the reasons given?

salsashark
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:33 AM
BWAHAHAHA... I think you all need to read Dirk's post again. Specifically this:

Or, we take the politically expedient path of kicking the can down the road in an election year. We continue to go at each other with the Republican versus Democrat, conservative versus liberal misdirection bullshit while the last pennies are pulled from out pockets by the masters of both sides. Then we have the collapse Brad refers to. What happens after that is too chaotic to predict, but history is not on the side of those who love personal liberty. When faced with tough times, the allure of tyranny can be overwhelming to many. Global military conflict is a likely possibility.

If you still fall into the "us v them" - "R v D" mentality, you're part of the problem. Simple truth, there's no difference between the two. It's just a matter of what they whisper in your ear while they have their hand in your pockets. It's all bullshit, and if you can't see that because you're too busy polishing your red or blue colored lenses, then I feel sorry for you...

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Simple truth, there's no difference between the two. It's just a matter of what they whisper in your ear while they have their hand in your pockets.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/toothygrin-1.gif

http://churchoftheantichrist.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/obama-romney-copy.jpg?w=460

http://l1.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/9OWKxYrlMePwq.6dPLXm4g--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Y2g9Mzc1O2NyPTE7Y3c9NjAwO2R4PTA7ZH k9MDtmaT11bGNyb3A7aD0zOTQ7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/05/29/romney-obama-jpg_200148.jpg

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:51 AM
You have to quit blaming Obama for all of the problems the country has. He has now been in 4 years trying to correct issue upon issue that was started in the Bush era. About the only thing he can do is try, as congress can't make up there damn minds about anything. Its a bunch of stubborn old farts that think by delaying the issues and propositions at hand that somehow they will "win". Enough is enough, we need to COMPROMISE, not have these stupid stand off arguments that last forever because one side can't compromise with the other. Give me a damn break, its so ridiculous that is has come down to this, fire everyone in congress and fire everyone in the house, it's time to start over, its an old group of people that do whatever is good for them, not anyone else. As of now, yes I would say we are in trouble, but I am not sure how or where to even begin to fix it. Student loan interest is skyrocketing, yet you must have a degree to have any sort of decent paying job now-a-days. I'm thankful that I only have a year left as tuition has gone up 3-12% every year that I have been here. Things are so out of control and I'm not even sure where we would even begin to start.

Lol maybe indaba shouldn't have promised the world in 2008. Bush was also handed a nasty problem. Clinton rode that stupid dot com bubble and looks like a night in shinning amour. You missed the whole point in dirks post. Is not about compromise between dem and rep. THEY ARE BOTH FUCKING THIS COUNTRY UP OVER AND OVER.

Take a look back. I can go as far back as I can remember I can't think of a single president that was actually worth a shit. Bush sr just kind of went through the motions. Fucked the iraq war up. Clinton was a joke. Riding that bubble. Downsizing our military while we were at with the islamic extremists. Dont kid yourself we were at war long before 911. You want to cry about what was handed to a president? 911 took place in 2000. The dot com bible burst around 00-01. Thats some serious shit to take on in your first year in the office.

Its time to wake up and dump this team idea that people hold on to. Bush have us the patriot act. Yeah it didn't bother me at the time. Now we have ndaa obamacare so many others.. And now one thats not even being talked about.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/06/07/u-n-agreement-should-have-all-gun-owners-up-in-arms/

So if OUR president is so damn busy with OUR problems he sure does have a funny way of showing it.

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 09:59 AM
So is everyone saying there's no difference between Dem & Rep gonna write in "Ron Paul" rather than the 'lesser of two evils' method? Not shit-talking, I'm actually curious. I know tons of Liberts will be voting for Romney just because they hate him less than they hate Obama, and they have more in common with Republicans than they do with Dems.

Lol maybe indaba shouldn't have promised the world in 2008.
What does "indaba" mean?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/06/07/u-n-agreement-should-have-all-gun-owners-up-in-arms/ (http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2011/06/07/u-n-agreement-should-have-all-gun-owners-up-in-arms/)

Sorry, will never happen, EVEN if the U.N. passes it, our congress never will, especially the House. I know, "never say never", BUT the stipulations in that thing are totally overboard ridiculous. I have THE EXACT SAME gun rights now as I did under Bush, nothing's changed. Well except all the tinfoil yokel 'necks stockpiling AR's and ammo so that our prices have risen due to demand/availability. Otherwise the laws remain the same, over the past 4 years under Obama. Aren't even the DC & Chicago handgun laws on ice or turned over? What happens in the next 4 years is another story, who knows...

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 10:27 AM
So y'all gonna write in "Ron Paul" rather than the 'lesser of two evils' method? Not shit-talking, I'm actually curious...

Not sure what I'm going to do. I may purposely withhold my vote, and that will be the first time I have done so since I was eligible to vote in a Presidential election (1984). It would be interesting to see if enough people did the same, as a way of showing how many are truly fed up with the offerings from the two parties. Paul might do well in a high-level executive position but I don't think he'd do well as a President.

tstevens
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 10:29 AM
You want to cry about what was handed to a president? 911 took place in 2000.

I'm not crying whatsoever about what the president was handed, what I was saying, if you would have read the whole quote, was the fact that people need to stop blaming Obama for all of the issues that our country currently has. When Bush left office he had the worst presidential approval rating of any president, the guy was a damn joke. He left office with the country on a downhill mudslide.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
So is everyone saying there's no difference between Dem & Rep gonna write in "Ron Paul" rather than the 'lesser of two evils' method? Not shit-talking, I'm actually curious. I know tons of Liberts will be voting for Romney just because they hate him less than they hate Obama, and they have more in common with Republicans than they do with Dems.

What does "indaba" mean?

Sorry, will never happen, EVEN if the U.N. passes it, our congress never will, especially the House. I know, "never say never", BUT the stipulations in that thing are totally overboard ridiculous. I have THE EXACT SAME gun rights now as I did under Bush, nothing's changed. Well except all the tinfoil yokel 'necks stockpiling AR's and ammo so that our prices have risen due to demand/availability. Otherwise the laws remain the same, over the past 4 years under Obama. Aren't even the DC & Chicago handgun laws on ice or turned over? What happens in the next 4 years is another story, who knows...

I will write in paul. I'm tired of the bullshit. Not sure what what happened there with obama. I use swype so must have screwed that one up real good. Lol

Yeah you should never say never. We do life in a time that the constitution means nothing. Our rights to firearms are something I held less important than things like due process. We know thats gone.

If it happens or doesn't isn't really the point I was trying to make. I was saying that with all the issues in our country at this time obama should focus less on the un and more on his own country.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Anyone that blames this on a single person is out of their mind. Matter of fact its more the peoples fault than their leadership. I say let the bitch burn. If you cant hold you and your familys head above water then I guess we will see you later.

Sounds a little harsh but there is absolutely, 100% NO way to fix the system that we have modified and broken so many times. Instead of fixing things that break with solutions that will be positive for the future we have put bandades on things and made them "feel better", but only in the moment. Most humans now days will not point their compass in the correct (prosperous) direction if it involves it being "hard". Everyone wants easy, fast, more and best all terrible traits.

We live in a country that is NEVER happy. Think about it. How long can you be happy with achieving your yearly goals if all you can do is focus on next years higher bar? In other words companies that make $100mill this year see it as failure if they make the SAME the following year.

We are so far from anything that resembles a functioning society yet we insist on making it look like we know what we are doing.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 10:52 AM
I'm not crying whatsoever about what the president was handed, what I was saying, if you would have read the whole quote, was the fact that people need to stop blaming Obama for all of the issues that our country currently has. When Bush left office he had the worst presidential approval rating of any president, the guy was a damn joke. He left office with the country on a downhill mudslide.

Hahaha the joke is people like you who only listen to the news. Did you know obama dropped below bush?

http://m.cbsnews.com/fullstory.rbml?catid=57395703&feed_id=3&videofeed=39

Bro get that bullshit the news fed to you out of your head. This isnt a bush vs obama debate. Our country is fucked. We keep playing this game and our country will burn. Fuck dems. Fuck rep. Both are bought and paid for. Yo want change?? The only way to change is to out all these rich bastards and start fresh.

Snowman
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Time to buy a car, a gun, a leather suit and a dog...

http://www.madmaxcars.com/products/photos/960632084493_proto1.jpg (http://www.madmaxcars.com/products/product_view.cgi?id_number=960632084493)

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Hahaha the joke is people like you who only listen to the news. Did you know obama dropped below bush?

Bro get that bullshit the news fed to you out of your head. This isnt a bush vs obama debate. Our country is fucked. We keep playing this game and our country will burn. Fuck dems. Fuck rep. Both are bought and paid for. Yo want change?? The only way to change is to out all these rich bastards and start fresh.

HEY FUCK YOU GWASH 4LYFE

tecknojoe
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
So all of you that are going to start pulling your money out of the banks, you will be putting up your motorcycles for sale as well correct?

I should be able to find a fantastic deal on a new track bike

Thanks doomsday

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Time to buy a car, a gun, a leather suit and a dog...
I hated when his dog got shot, wtf?! There was one of the actual movie stunt cars at the Golden SuperCruise a month ago:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/285729_10150887363259342_78121045_n.jpg

Hahaha the joke is people like you who only listen to the news.
No joke. Remember, just because some people (me included) don't think Obama is to blame for a slow recovery, doesn't mean we only get our info from the "evil liberal mainstream media", as being perpetuated by the constant GOP viral email drivel. ;)

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Lol maybe indaba shouldn't have promised the world in 2008.
Not sure what what happened there with obama. I use swype so must have screwed that one up real good. Lol.
Well, ironically, I found out what "indaba" means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indaba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indaba)

So, just like those TeaParty people with those signs:

http://www.angryblacklady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/racist-tea-party-protesters.jpg

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I hated when his dog got shot, wtf?! There was one of the actual movie stunt cars at the Golden SuperCruise a month ago:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/s720x720/285729_10150887363259342_78121045_n.jpg

No joke. Remember, just because some people (me included) don't think Obama is to blame for a slow recovery, doesn't mean we only get our info from the "evil liberal mainstream media", as being perpetuated by the constant GOP viral email drivel. ;)

I never once referred to the slow recovery. I never once said this was all obamas fault. I never tryd to place the blame at anyone or at any one thing. The simple minded thinking of this was all w's fault is something that does strike a nerve. Our country has been on the decline for many years. This whole choosing the lesser of two evols is what has screwed us up. So im with ezz. It is our own damn faults. Our economy is definitely our faults. Buying all this stuff we couldnt afford.

So no i dont blame any one president or any one person.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Well, ironically, I found out what "indaba" means:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indaba (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indaba)

So, just like those TeaParty people with those signs:

http://www.angryblacklady.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/racist-tea-party-protesters.jpg

Nice. Lol

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM
I never once referred to the slow recovery...
So no i dont blame any one president or any one person.
As don't I. All good and understood.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Now with that said i sure as hell wasn't fooled into thinking one man could fix this either. Hope change made me laugh but i was and still am hoping for a change but its not going to happen. To either obama or Romney here is to four more of the same.

tstevens
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:41 AM

Bro its not from the news, I just get sick of hearing everyone blame Obama for EVERYTHING that is going on. I completely agree that the country is fucked right now. The game is bullshit and it need to come to a head. I wasn't trying to say my only debate was the Obama v Bush or the Dem v Rep, I think its all bullshit and they are all a bunch of liars. I just get sick of hearing everyone blame it all on Obama when in all reality is goes much much much deeper than that. And I completely 100% agree that we need to start over, fire everyone and start fresh, its the old fart rich people who think they know best for everyone, where in all reality they know what's best for them and their rich friends who couldn't give to shits about the middle class. I agree with you, I think there was a little miscommunication/reading there but I hear you and I agree that its bullshit, need to get rid of all of them and start fresh, and most of all stop the bullshit game they are playing.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Bro its not from the news, I just get sick of hearing everyone blame Obama for EVERYTHING that is going on. I completely agree that the country is fucked right now. The game is bullshit and it need to come to a head. I wasn't trying to say my only debate was the Obama v Bush or the Dem v Rep, I think its all bullshit and they are all a bunch of liars. I just get sick of hearing everyone blame it all on Obama when in all reality is goes much much much deeper than that. And I completely 100% agree that we need to start over, fire everyone and start fresh, its the old fart rich people who think they know best for everyone, where in all reality they know what's best for them and their rich friends who couldn't give to shits about the middle class. I agree with you, I think there was a little miscommunication/reading there but I hear you and I agree that its bullshit, need to get rid of all of them and start fresh, and most of all stop the bullshit game they are playing.

And see i think he is getting what he deserves with all that hope and change bs. Lol.

grim
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:52 AM

Part of why our society is so fucked up is because it is much easier to point the finger and blame someone else for your problems. Americans have been living like this for years now and its the primary reason things have gotten the way they are. Obama is the one who just so happens to be in office while things are getting at there worst, if it were someone else it'd be there name everyone wants to shout. "Voice what you think and expect something to happen", that's all anyone has ever been doing while the fat cats continue to take our money. The reason you dont ever see me complain on here or in person about all this shit is because i see it as "it is what it is and i will do what i have to in order to survive" Complaining about it will get you nowhere.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
But it does kill some time when you uave nothing to do. Lol

tstevens
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Part of why our society is so fucked up is because it is much easier to point the finger and blame someone else for your problems. Americans have been living like this for years now and its the primary reason things have gotten the way they are. Obama is the one who just so happens to be in office while things are getting at there worst, if it were someone else it'd be there name everyone wants to shout. "Voice what you think and expect something to happen", that's all anyone has ever been doing while the fat cats continue to take our money. The reason you dont ever see me complain on here or in person about all this shit is because i see it as "it is what it is and i will do what i have to in order to survive" Complaining about it will get you nowhere.

+1 Thank you. Not even sure where we could start and I don't believe many people do.

But it does kill some time when you uave nothing to do. Lol
Exactly. Kinda funny to see other people's views on the subject.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:00 PM
All you doomsdayers need to put your money where your mouth is with some long term puts on the market.

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:05 PM
I dont gamble. Thats all that is. Another way to gamble.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:12 PM
I dont gamble. Thats all that is. Another way to gamble.

Well, if you were so certain of impending financial collapse, surely you would try to make some profit off it before you return to hunting groundhogs with a bow and arrow and eating your 3-year freeze-dried food stores.

Snowman
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:13 PM
All you doomsdayers need to put your money where your mouth is with some long term puts on the market.Yes, like emptying your banks accounts and 401Ks and sticking them into a local bank or credit union. (you want to help a local economy, infuse it with cash...)

I can't think if a more direct way to get your message across to the people who are really behind this recession, and don't kid yourself in to believing that we haven't been in one since the collapse.

You can't make money from money with other peoples money if you don't have the other peoples money. Let the NY Stock Exchange and Nasdaq bounce zero a couple of times and let them see what real living on the edge of a paycheck means...

(I can't even remember if Max's dog had a name, but he did eat second ahead of everyone else...)

tecknojoe
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Everything is obamas fault. There arent any other law makers, representatives, supeme court justices, or governors. Its solely obama that caused the housing market collapse before he was president. He put this country into debt and 2 wars. We are all fucked because we let one man take over and ruin everything.

I fucking hate election years and all the stupid fucking propaganda that goes with it

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Little known facts:

Obama caused WWII

Obama instigated the Cuban Missile Crises

Obama sent Elian Gonzalez back to Cuba

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
All you doomsdayers need to put your money where your mouth is with some long term puts on the market.
Well, there are some RP supporters who are hoarding gold & silver, lol. They've lost all confidence in the dollar, no surprise.

Like our little one shot vs one bowl bet and who would die first!!!!
No guarantees, but I'd wager on the pothead's lungs surviving longer than the drinker's liver.

Well, if you were so certain of impending financial collapse, surely you would try to make some profit off it before you return to hunting groundhogs with a bow and arrow and eating your 3-year freeze-dried food stores.
Don't forget every yokel's favorite appetizer, PrairieDog-on-a-stick!... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/rofl.gif

I fucking hate election years and all the stupid fucking propaganda that goes with it
You know what I'M sick of? Those damn Romney commercials with the Obama soundbyte, "The private sector is doing fine, the private sector is doing fine, the private sector is doing fine, the private sector is doing fine." HOLLLYYY shit, that statement is emblazened into my brain permanently now, I think I heard it 1000 times this weekend. Even if I was a Republican Mormon, I'd STILL vote against Romney, for that commercial alone, ugh.

koop
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Someone smart once said; "The nice thing about being a bear is sooner or later you will be right."

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Thaks for quoting that ghostly. Now time for some fun.

vort3xr6
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Zach, what is so implausible about a global depression? What factors indicate that the economy is sustainable at the current level? While I don't like fear mongering, very real hypothesis based on very real numbers is not fear mongering.

Zach929rr
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Zach, what is so implausible about a global depression? What factors indicate that the economy is sustainable at the current level? While I don't like fear mongering, very real hypothesis based on very real numbers is not fear mongering.

I'll reply with my specific thoughts when I get a chance too later this evening. I never said it wasn't plausible, just that I think the fellow you were referring to has some things backwards. I'll only have a handful of bachelors degrees come springtime, so my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt compared to that guy's pedigree.

vort3xr6
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Not that your opinions would be any more right or wrong than roubini's. He still just makes conjectures. Some of them just happen to come true so I don't take his words as final, just possible.

Ghost
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNZbcEzogU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ejbUHlLtg

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Thaks for quoting that ghostly. Now time for some fun.
Quoting which thing? (P.S. no "L" in Ghosty, heh.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNZbcEzogU (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiNZbcEzogU)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ejbUHlLtg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ejbUHlLtg)
YESSS! Badass!

Ghost
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:28 PM
YESSS! Badass!

Only $35-75k for one...

http://www.madmaxcars.com/products/product_view.cgi?id_number=260255061413

Or try to find and import a 1974 Ford Falcon XB Coupe on your own and buy their body kit...

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
Quoting which thing? (P.S. no "L" in Ghosty, heh.)

YESSS! Badass!

Other thread is talking about it. Lol. Sorry GHOSTY.

Wrider
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:44 PM
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/449_jpg_9393.jpeg

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:45 PM
<off-topic>

Only $35-75k for one...

Rad! But I definitely have better uses in mind (kitcar-wise) to put that kinda coin towards. Like a FactoryFive GTM w/ an LSX motor, TT'd. Even reasonably priced!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/drool-1.gif

http://jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/02/Factory%20Five%20GTM.jpg

Ghost
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Rad! But I definitely have better uses in mind (kitcar-wise) to put that kinda coin towards. Like a FactoryFive GTM w/ an LSX motor, TT'd. Even reasonably priced!

Yes, but that won't survive the Post-Apocalyptic wasteland as well as the Black-On-Black...

rforsythe
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 05:06 PM
The economy is kind of like these wildfires we're seeing now. We spent so many years avoiding inevitable destruction and recreation on a small scale to protect a few that when it does blow up, it's catastrophic events that actually alter the ecosystem and cause considerably more damage than we prevented in the first place. Both are driven by human nature, corrected by the universe reminding us what's what.

The economy has been artificially propped up, "corrected", bolstered, and forced so many times that the inevitable corrective forces at play are just going to swing it back harder and harder. Eventually it's going to swing so hard that nothing is going to stop it, and the result will change your way of life perhaps permanently. I have not talked to a single person (a single one!) who disputes that with a straight face. Society is coming and has come to the realization that we're not only headed (inevitably) for this, but that it more or less needs to occur. We just can't put out the little economic fires anymore, and they're exploding into monsters because we've built the fuel for it for decades.

IMO pay off as much debt as you can now. Own your cars and anything else you can so the banks can't foreclose. The less the man has on you, the better off you will be when shit goes down. Even a depreciating asset free and clear is better than losing it all.

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 06:27 PM
IMO pay off as much debt as you can now. Own your cars and anything else you can so the banks can't foreclose. The less the man has on you, the better off you will be when shit goes down. Even a depreciating asset free and clear is better than losing it all.

This.

Ghosty
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Own your cars and anything else you can so the banks can't foreclose. The less the man has on you, the better off you will be when shit goes down. Even a depreciating asset free and clear is better than losing it all.
Werd, exactly why I listened to my head and bought a used R1, instead of my heart (and friends) and get a loan on a S1kRR or Duc. Best decision ever, stay OUT of debt, feels goooood.

The house is a bitch though, how many people can afford to pay off a mortgage before they retire? You gotta give up a LOT, as far as quality of life. Shit many of us lost a SHIT-TON of equity in the last 4 years, it's sickening!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/mad2.gif

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Put me out of business people. For real.

longrider
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Put me out of business people. For real.

Unfortunately, if the shit goes down like it very well might I will be giving you a job application...

#1Townie
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Actually no you wont. If we get hit hard again it would sink most repo companies. Contrary to popular belief we need a healthy economy to make money. What happens is the auctions get overloaded and cars dont sell. When the banks cant sell the cars they stop ordering repos. Not just that but if people cant afford to buy cars there is nothing to repo.

grim
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 07:28 PM
As long as there is mass production of anything, I still have a job, for this I am thankful.

rforsythe
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 07:31 PM
The house is a bitch though, how many people can afford to pay off a mortgage before they retire? You gotta give up a LOT, as far as quality of life. Shit many of us lost a SHIT-TON of equity in the last 4 years, it's sickening!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/mad2.gif

That will bite a lot of people. At least pay down as much as you can so you can sell under market value if you have to and get out of it without losing your nuts on the deal.

Worst case, we have title on the 5th wheel. Not exactly the Hilton, but if I was losing the house and it was down to living in that or going on the streets, well...

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 10th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Its called balance people! Having fun now while saving for the future. Working hard but raising a well rounded family.

To many reasons now days to cut corners and you know what? If you cant do shit long handed then you deserve what happens when you are forced to deal with life without a calculator.

Ghost
Wed Jul 11th, 2012, 12:43 AM
It's the rich hitting the Reset button on everyone else. It's how they secure their power and wealth--by eliminating anyone else's collective power to own or influence anything.