PDA

View Full Version : A Vanceian Diatribe. You have been warned

Vance
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 08:28 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It's been a VERY long time since I've gone off on a Shakespearean epic diatribe of any form, despite many an opportunity and topic that have begged for me to unleash the proverbial krakken upon the CSC to help me cleanse my synapses of their billions upon billions of layers of frustration and angst.

This however, is actually not one of those opportunities either. This is an observation I have made recently that I believe absolutely begs to be made in a forum that offers opportunity for further discussion. I do not claim to have thought this through 100%, in fact it is a still growing research project I am conducting so I can complete this into perhaps a more full length composition. But it's been irking me for some time now and I feel I need to at least lay out the foundations to get it off my brain just a bit, to throw it all out there and step back from it and see if it really is making sense on "paper" like I think it does in my brain.

That said - here is my hypothesis:
Into every generation of cinema we MUST have a Keanu Reeves!

My case:
After a rare "date night" opportunity presented itself for the spousal unit and I we decided to go to dinner an a movie. The dinner is obviously irrelevant, however I must give mad props to the phenomenal Irish pub and grill over at Southlands. I forget the name - but OUTSTANDING food! Anyway, I digress. The movie we chose was Snow White and the Huntsman. I looked intriguing, visually perhaps stunning even, based on the previews. I carry something of a "thing" for Charlize Theron who I believe is a phenomenally talented actress and truly drop dead gorgeous in a classic, timeless, old-school Hollywood way. Plus, I wanted to see if Kristan Stewart could in fact go beyond her Twilight almost emotionless lip-biting characterizations, or if that was who she was (admittedly, I think she can be kind of hot in a strange "awkward in her own body" sort of way - I mean, have you seen those legs when she actually dresses like a woman? DAMN)

That said - MASSIVE disappointment. Yes, you could tell Charlize was having fun being the villain for a change , and she did it well. But the dialogue was crap. Visually very cool in its own way, but you could just FEEL they dumbed the movie down FOR Kristan Stewart! It was almost sad. And yes... she still bit her lip, she still looked awkward, and she still had the emotional range of a russet potato sitting on a counter-top waiting for ANYTHING creative to be done with it.

Upon exiting the movie it struck me --- she is that generation's (Gen Z is it now?) Keanu Reeves!!! And yes, even the preceeding generations to my Gen X'er had their Keanu Reeves as well!

Allow me to illustrate further:

Keanu Reeves, while able to deliver lines and such, and in some circles actually a well respected actor, has significant issues showing any emotional range whatsoever. Basically when you cast Reeves in a role - you get Keanu, playing Keanu (as said character)... not like say Robert DeNiro who BECOMES Al Capone for a role, or even say someone as now ridiculed as Val Kilmer who literally BECAME Jim Morrison for his role. So believable in their delivery you realize who the actor or actress is - but you lose yourself in their delivery.

Keanu is Keanu, and can deliver nothing more, sadly for him. It's just what lines you're asking Keanu to deliver that differentiate his movies really. Well, I guess with him then you do get "thin" Keanu (the Matrix, etc) vs "stout" Keanu (The Replacements, Point Break). But that's about all the range he has.

Now - fast forward to Gen Z's Kristin Stewart. She IS the female version of Keanu and then some. She has even LESS emotional range. At least Keanu can pull off a somewhat distressed look. She can't even do that. She ALWAYS looks distressed... even when she's supposed to be happy. Sad. In pain. Overjoyed. Kristin equates all of these on screen to biting her lip, furrowing her brow, and giving that dazed and confused look. There is zero range there - yet - she's one of the most popular, sought after actresses of that generation.

Should she be? NO!!! SO many more talented actors and actresses out there and that's even based on the limited pool of personnel from that generation I am aware of. Hell - little Dakota Fanning should be winning pools of Oscars when you compare acting skills putting those two toe-to-toe.

Anyway...

Let's take a look at some others that fit in this catagory of basically not being able to act their way out of a wet paper bag if asked to show emotional range, or range of any form, beyond basically playing themselves in every role they are / were given:

Let's go back one generation BEFORE Keanu.
I give you Tommy Lee Jones. LOVE his style, love most of his movies... but come on. Tommy Lee Jones PLAYS Tommy Lee Jones in every one of his roles he's ever had, period. Manic, somber or angry, it's always the same Tommy Lee Jones.

Let's go back one more generation.
Some may say it's too soon for this - but - I don't care. I give you Earnest Borgnine. JUST like Keanu and Tommy and Kristin --- you get exactly what you signed up for with Earnest. Earnest playing Earnest playing a role. I have seen a LOT of his movies - mind you not his entire catalog - but I have yet to find one where he shows any legitimate range.

The one that is throwing me right now that I am having to put considerable thought in still is Gen Y's Keanu / Kristan / Tommy / Earnest. That generation unfortunately produced such a massive pool of craptastic, along side a MASSIVE pool of talent, I need to somehow thin the herd by really analyzing the options in more depth. It just hurts the brain to really ponder just how bad of actors and actresses exist from that generation when there was likewise so much talent there too.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Ryan Phillipe or Hayden Christiansen... who are essentially almost the exact same person as far as I'm concerned... but I need to explore more bad acting before I can say for sure who the winner of that generation for the "Keanu Generational Deadpan Award" should be.

I guess I'm going to have to lay out criteria... such as: Still acting (not retired or such), acted in at least 4 movies to give an opportunity to show range and growth (not all of which could be from the same series of movies / sequels), etc, etc, etc...

SO there you have it ... the foundations of my thesis.
Discuss, dissect, diatribe as you will.

grim
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 08:30 AM
I must give mad props to the phenomenal Irish pub and grill over at Southlands.

McCabes Irish pub :yes: Awesome food!!!

dirkterrell
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Val Kilmer who literally BECAME Jim Morrison for his role.

I think he is one of the most underrated actors of his generation. He should have won the Oscar for his portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

Snowman
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Ah, but there is one most excellent flaw to your hypothesis...

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/music/Pix/pictures/2009/2/5/1233851426437/Bill-and-Teds-Excellent-A-002.jpg

t_jolt
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 09:03 AM
I think he is one of the most underrated actors of his generation. He should have won the Oscar for his portrayal of Doc Holliday in Tombstone.

+1 on this

Anyone see Val in Top Secret?

gtn
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Completely agree!

I've never seen him suck.

Ghosty
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 09:26 AM
How about Keanu in Johnny Mnemonic?... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/toothygrin-1.gif

I keed, I keed. can't wait to read this Vanceian diatribe after work later! Sorry to hear that SnowWhite sucked, it looked badass. I've never seen more than 5 minutes of the first Twilight, so don't know a lot about Kristen Stewart. I do also love Charlize, holy hottie. She was a guest in a past episode of TopChef or FoodNetworkStar, need to dig that up. Worth seeing if you really like her, seems like a super cool woman. She literally has pure sex oozing from her pores in this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=fvwrel&v=5puGM9Adg-o

(As for Johnny Mnemonic, don't get me started on how they slaughtered one of my favorite authors of all time. I'm STILL pissed about that.)

+1 on Kilmer as Morrison, excellent! He was awesome in Real Genius, 80's nerd classic! I still want that "I <3 Toxic Waste" t-shirt, lol.

http://yotamak.blogs.com/.a/6a00d8341c145e53ef0120a625e5a2970b-800wi

koop
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM
You have to give Ted Theodore Logan Esq. his due; he's not a fucktard. He's been a celebrity for, what, 25 years and zero drama. No messy divorces, no rehab, no throwing phones at the maid or attacking cars with golf clubs, nada.

Vance
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 10:09 AM
You have to give Ted Theodore Logan Esq. his due; he's not a fucktard. He's been a celebrity for, what, 25 years and zero drama. No messy divorces, no rehab, no throwing phones at the maid or attacking cars with golf clubs, nada.

I never said he was a fucktard. I never bashed on his personality either. Everything I've ever heard of the guy he is a good guy. A very good guy. Very not self-centered Hollywood type for certain...

I'm talking about his and others' ACTING skills / stylings. THAT is the focus of the diatribe. Nothing more.

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Why the hell did you go see a chick flick anyway Vanceman? :think:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Keanu was good in Speed....oh wait nevermind. I think another like Keanu would be Nicholas Cage...:lol:

koop
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 10:36 AM
I didn't take your rant as bashing him, personally or professionally. My post was just as an aside. I read your post and thought "Gee, you don't read much about Keanu." The more I thought about it I realized this guy never hits the papers.

gtn
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 10:46 AM
! I still want that "I <3 Toxic Waste" t-shirt, lol.

I happen to have that shirt. Think I'll wear it to the picnic. :D

grim
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 11:10 AM

"date night"

When have you ever been on a "date night" where you saw a movie you wanted to see?

Ghosty
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
<edit>

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/SpectralCat/Emoticons/popcorn.gif

Vance
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 12:30 PM

When have you ever been on a "date night" where you saw a movie you wanted to see?

Actually - it was my backup to Prometheus, which she had no desire to see.

As for going on a "date night" where I picked the movie - it happens a lot in our relationship actually. She knows I'm a massive movie geek, so she appeases me in that respect quite often. Prometheus was just too bizarre looking for her in her current state of playing host to an alien critter herself... and besides (yes, I can hear he gasps already) she's never seen the original Alien, so the build up and buzz has been lost on her.

I didn't take your rant as bashing him, personally or professionally. My post was just as an aside. I read your post and thought "Gee, you don't read much about Keanu." The more I thought about it I realized this guy never hits the papers.

Yeah - actually I admire him for his very un-star-like qualities. No diva attitudes there. He's very mellow, and I dig that about him, and other actors and actresses who aren't fame whores and actively stay out of the spotlight. I mean even Dogstar was low key and he never promo'd the band based on him being in it. He just wanted to play, DUDE! :)

Ghost
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 01:01 PM
McCabes Irish pub :yes: Awesome food!!!

+1

And you can throw food off the balcony at the HDs parked illegally below...

Nooch
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen,

tl;dr

Can I start buying my drugs from you? :bow:

Vance
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Can I start buying my drugs from you? :bow:

What the frak???

Drano
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 05:43 PM
http://i.eatliver.com/2011/6992.jpg

Drano
Thu Jul 12th, 2012, 05:44 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/17288814.jpg

BHeth
Sat Jul 14th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Hell yeah. Wonderland is a great Kilmer performance, as well.

I fucking love Keanu. I seem to recall him acting in "The Gift", but I could be wrong. I agree that he is one in a long line of "smell the fart" actors.

I have no idea who that emotionless chick is. NHOH.:dunno: