PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck...

Ghost
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 04:38 PM
http://i.huffpost.com/gen/685579/thumbs/r-KRISTA-MCCANN-large570.jpg

Krista McCann, Colorado Woman Fleeing Waldo Canyon Fire, Crashes And Ignites Idaho Wildfire

AP | Posted: 07/13/2012 11:53 am Updated: 07/13/2012 1:35 pm

ONTARIO, Ore. (AP) — A Colorado woman fleeing a deadly wildfire crashed on the way to her father's home in Oregon, sparking a new blaze in Idaho.
Krista McCann tells KTVB-TV (http://bit.ly/LOAeLz ) that she loaded her most-valued possessions in her car in Colorado Springs, Colo., and fled the 29-square-mile Waldo Canyon fire.
The trip was also supposed to be a surprise for her father. Among the belongings she brought from Colorado was her mother's wedding dress.
"I was afraid that something might happen, or the wind might change in Colorado and my house would be in danger again," McCann said.
The 19-year-old said she lost control of her Subaru while trying to pass another car on U.S. Interstate 84 in Idaho between Boise and Mountain Home.
"I just couldn't go straight anymore and I ended up clipping the car next to me," she said. "The adrenaline was going through me for a while, but after that started to fade it hit me pretty hard.
"I know I got out and I saw that the field was on fire and at that point I was just, I was pretty devastated. I didn't want to do anything like that," McCann said.
Idaho State Police said a mechanical failure caused McCann to lose control of the vehicle.
The crash ignited a wildfire near the interstate that burned about 2,000 acres. By Friday morning, authorities said the fire was fully contained.
McCann escaped without injury but lost everything in her car except her purse.
"This is everything I own now," McCann told the television station, holding open her purse.
The fire McCann fled in Colorado killed two people and destroyed nearly 350 homes, making it the most destructive in Colorado history.
"This is a chance to start completely over," she said. "I have nothing. So I'll start with a new wardrobe and a new car, and a new state of mind. And I'll just move forward."

Ghosty
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Wow poor girl, trying to save all her valuable belongings, and ends up her house is fine but all her stuff gets destroyed instead, that sucks!

"mechanical failure", wtf? She tried to pass someone and crashed. I don't get it.

Ghost
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 04:46 PM
"mechanical failure", wtf? She tried to pass someone and crashed. I don't get it.

Didn't explain, but could be anything, tie rod, rack, etc...the cops would have said if it was her fault as that's a ticket for the wreck that caused the fire, so it must have been something that was beyond her control.

Either way, that sucks.

#1Townie
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I could have sworn that fire was contained. Sounds like a dumbass to me. Probably doesnt keep up on maintenance. Its damn near impossible for cops to charge you with these things. No one takes care of their cars and all it takes is one other dumbass on the jury to say hey i never had my ball joints checked either and boom tons of tax dollars wasted.

Zanatos
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
When I lived in Missouri, I had to get a full inspection every two years: emissions test, brakes, emergency brake, headlights, wipers/washers, tires, struts/shocks, tie rods, u-joints, etc.

It's weird how Colorado only worries about emissions.

I am also surprised at how many people don't know how to use engine braking and stay off their brakes in the mountains. Every time I'm on my way back from the high country, I smell brakes burning. On several occasions, I have even seen brake rotors glowing red at night.

rforsythe
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 07:01 PM
That really sucks for her. The universe trying to burn itself down to take you out is interesting though.

Jmetz
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 07:14 PM
It's some final destination shit.

Ghost
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 10:09 PM
It's some final destination shit.

Does seem that way.

Maybe the scorched-earth shit she's gone through will have burned itself out and give her a fresh start...