PDA

View Full Version : WR250F fuel tank repair

Ricky
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 07:09 PM
Hey everyone. Got home today to the stench of raw gasoline in my garage, and after removing every gas tank and every gassed item in my garage, I discovered this in my 2002 WR250F:

http://www.technofamily.net/crap/ricky/IMG_0660.JPG

Is it worth fixing? Should I just JB weld it? Some other sort of epoxy? Do I need to clean it first? (it's already emptied out) Is it worth it to have someone else fix it? or should I just replace the damn thing? I'd rather not spend $250 on a new tank at the moment, I'm just not sure what the best option is.

Jmetz
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 07:19 PM
I'd probably junk the whole bike. I'll give $100 for it, and that's just cuz I like you.

Fumet5uNo
Fri Jul 13th, 2012, 09:40 PM
For fast fix I have used quik steal works great and holds for years, to do it right any auto part store sells a tank repair kit ( fuel resistant tap and fiber glass bonder with bondo ) then spray paint to wanted color

, on my dirt bikes I always plastic welded them when Time permitted , it's easy to do just need a spare chunk of plastic and sotaring iron

FZRguy
Sat Jul 14th, 2012, 06:40 PM
I don't think you can totally fix a big crack like that. Even if you do, it will start leaking again. No harm trying tho. I have a over-size Clarke tank on my DRZ and it has worked very well....around $200. Check IMS too.

Ricky
Mon Jul 16th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Hmmm.... Yeah, I was thinking that it's probably not worth it to fix. I guess that means I'll be buying a new tank. Bummer since that's like 1/8 the value of the entire bike!