PDA

View Full Version : Curious about open carry in CoS as it pertains to riding.

TransNone13
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Ok, I know it is legal to have a concealed pistol in a vehicle, it is also legal to open carry. So my question is, what is legal on a bike? My interpretation is that I can conceal the pistol in the bike or carry it OPENLY in a holster while I ride.

Thoughts? And no BS, serious question.

Kyle

3D
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Not sure about concealing it in the bike, but you are free to open carry while riding. Just be ready for a LEO to pull you over if he see's it or also some people will call and report you in traffic. Happens to a friend of mine all the time.

TransNone13
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 05:56 PM
What generally happens and how does he handle it?

3D
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 06:06 PM
What generally happens and how does he handle it?
The LEO usually just stops him and checks his registration and such then lets us be on our way. Sometimes they will ask if he has a permit, then he just says he's an open carry and they will leave it at that. He's never had a LEO get stupid with him about it though. Just remember as soon as (if) you get pulled over to put your hands up and say you are an open carry. LEO's tend to get upset if you don't.

3D
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Found this, it's pretty vague on open carry. Sounds like you can conceal it in the trunk of your bike if you want though.

http://www.sterlingcodifiers.com/codebook/index.php?book_id=855

Chap 9, Article 7, Part 1

Jmetz
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Open carry is pretty touchy. I was once told years ago that the only real way to open carry would be to walk around holding the gun out. In a holster it is still technically concealed. But barring that they can ticket you for disturbing the peace and such if they really want to be dicks about it.

Fumet5uNo
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Before I got my cwp way back when I used to carry in the tail of the bike aslong as its not chambered ur ok because it's in a locked compartment it's as if u have it in the trunk of a car it's not "with in reach" and just notifiy the Leo if u get pulled over most are cool

DemonRider
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 07:47 AM
http://www.rmgo.org/gun-law-faqs/open-carry

Vitesse
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Not worth the potential hassles of open carrying IMO. Better to get your CCW. I alway carry my pistol concealed in an IWB holster when I ride.

tstevens
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Motorcycles are an extension of your home, just as your car is, defined by law. I was actually with someone while they spoke to a Sheriff about carrying a firearm on their bike. He said that according to law you may carry it in saddlebags or in tank bags/seats, not sure about the open carry or concealed though.

brennahm
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 12:38 PM
In a car you can have the weapon loaded and chambered and sitting in your lap if you so choose. Probably be worth a call to CSP and your local sheriff about the bike though.

3D
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 12:44 PM
In a car you can have the weapon loaded and chambered and sitting in your lap if you so choose. Probably be worth a call to CSP and your local sheriff about the bike though.

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to have a round chambered while in any motor vehicle. This does vary from state to state, but I'm sure in Colorado it is a felony. Any LEO on the board may want to set this straight.

TransNone13
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it is illegal to have a round chambered while in any motor vehicle. This does vary from state to state, but I'm sure in Colorado it is a felony. Any LEO on the board may want to set this straight.

No it's not, I have the statute in my truck. Only with rifles and shotguns.

3D
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 12:48 PM
No it's not, I have the statute in my truck. Only with rifles and shotguns.

You're right.. I just found it myself. Sorry bout that.

Jmetz
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 12:59 PM
I usually drive around with mine loaded, chambered, and waving it around while bumping some rap with the windows down.

3D
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I usually drive around with mine loaded, chambered, and waving it around while bumping some rap with the windows down.

That's only legal if you're bumping Tupac or Biggie....

Jmetz
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Usually its NWA Fuck The Police on repeat.

brennahm
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 01:54 PM
Colorado allows a person to carry a firearm in a vehicle, loaded or unloaded, if its use is for lawful protection of such person or another's person or property. [C.R.S. 18-12-105(2)]

Taken from here (http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/StatePatrol-Main/CBON/1251594549010).

#1Townie
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Yeah long guns cant be chambered for hunting laws. Same in nv. Now does anyone have the regs to what is defined as loaded? In nv their definition of loaded is chambered. So mag could be stacked and as long as nothing is in the tube you are good.

Im sure its in the link posted above i just dont have the time to read it.

TransNone13
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 03:22 PM
I wouldn't have a concealed pistol without one in the chamber on me. In a situation permitting its use, I don't want to spare the second(s) to charge it. I'm not sure about long barrels, but I would default to the federal statute on transport.

modette99
Fri Jul 20th, 2012, 09:13 AM
How about revolvers? Wouldn't one always be chambered per say if you have all 6 shots loaded?

#1Townie
Fri Jul 20th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey the loaded part is only for long guns. Like shotguns and rifles. Its to keep hunters from shooting from vehicles.