PDA

View Full Version : helmet rules

sag
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 07:19 PM
my suomy was manufactured in march 2007, so it is no bueno as per the rules correct?

WolFeYeZ
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM
"Full coverage helmet with straps, shell, liner and shield in good, undamaged
condition. Helmet must have a label of compliance to either Snell Foundation
specifications, DOT FMVSS 218, or any FIM certification with a date of
manufacture no earlier than 5 years prior to the first MRA event of the season"

Looks like you just missed it by a couple of months :(

I had the same issue and posted on the MRA forum. Multiple people offered loaners.

3D
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 07:39 PM
my suomy was manufactured in march 2007, so it is no bueno as per the rules correct?

It's an implied 5 year because of material degradation, but I think you can pull out a few more good years if it is still in good shape. I have always believed the 5 year deal was more because the companies want you to spend more money on their products sooner than later. Others may have more opinions on the matter. But this is my opinion.

Bueller
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 07:45 PM
In the strictest interpretation that would be correct.
But I doubt they would turn you away for a couple of months if the helmet is undamaged.

Cornfed
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Great question, great thread. I looked my Arai over, since it is about 5 years old, trying to find a date stamp and couldnt find one. Any idea where it is?

Bueller
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 08:50 PM
http://www.araiamericas.com/support.asp?page=support/warranty.asp

Graphite675
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 08:52 PM
I believe they will also accept 5 years from purchase date if your can show a receipt. with date of purchase.

Bueller
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 09:22 PM
If you didn't point it out to the whole world on the internet and showed up after paying $100 and played ignorant, when they tech'd your gear they would probably let it slide and recommend you replace it next time. But that would just be my guess and should not be taken as absolute fact. You could contact Jeff Brown and ask him. And maybe you can convince him that because you spent way too much on a helmet it should be good for 2 more years than the rest of them :lol:

Cornfed
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 09:43 PM
If you didn't point it out to the whole world on the internet and showed up after paying $100 and played ignorant, when they tech'd your gear they would probably let it slide and recommend you replace it next time.

First of all, that was already a thought I had but figured Id ask anyway.
Secondly, :doublefinger:
And finally I shall delete my earlier post.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 10:14 PM
We inspect the helmets but we don't check the dates.

3point5
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Great question, great thread. I looked my Arai over, since it is about 5 years old, trying to find a date stamp and couldnt find one. Any idea where it is?

On the Arais it's usually stamped on the chin-strap or the double-d connector (the connecting piece that completes the chin strap) Sometimes, I've seen a printed tag sewn to the chin strap too.

My arai is 10 years old and just recently got a surface scratch that exposed just enough fiberglass to make me nervous. If the helmet wasnt 10years old I would just roll with it and keep an eye on it but this was going to be my last riding season with it anyways. I believe I am going to get the arai corsair v in a solid color.

Side conversation - would you ever buy a used helmet and if so what would you look for while making your decision?

sag
Wed Jul 18th, 2012, 10:42 PM
yeah ive bought a used helmet and would again but for spares and passengers. obviously just condition is what i would look for. scratch and rash free, clean interior, you can pull the liner and check for any major cracks, oh and used helmets are not worth much so i wouldnt be paying more than 100 bucks for modern very top of the line lids.

Cornfed
Thu Jul 19th, 2012, 05:01 AM
We inspect the helmets but we don't check the dates.

Thank You kind sir. SS it is!:w00t: