PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket advice needed

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 03:16 PM
So lets hear what you guys think:

So I take off very quick on a green light in Denver after looking both ways and knew there was a car behind me from the bright lights, but had no idea it was a cop. Did a first gear pull up to around 10k rpm, no chance of being above 40, and rolled off. Done really quick because I wanted to try a launch outside of SuperStreet. So Im now going 5 over the speed limit and like 15 seconds later a cop is screeching his wheels to not hit me and has me lit up.

I pull over and he says he had to go 80 to catch me therefor I was going 75... and that since he did 24 hours of training on eyeballing speed, he is writing me a ticket (No radar, no lazer, no proof...). He writes me up for something like 25 over and calls it giving me a break. It was 10:00 at night and I cant think of a way to accurately determine speed from behind in that condition.

Well I am definitely fighting this BS, trying solo at first for arraignment and such but may end up getting a lawyer if talking with the DA does not work.

Do I have a leg to stand on?

Any tips?

Does a signage argument help? (I have found that this section of road is not up the code on having signs after major intersections, specifically with the road I came off of and there was no sign between there and where I was pulled over. It is definitely a major intersection, University and Evans. Evans is 35 University turns to 30 and are very similar roads)

grim
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Did a first gear pull up to around 10k rpm, no chance of being above 40, and rolled off.

Are you saying no chance of being above 40MPH??

Bueller
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 03:30 PM
He fucked up cause he should have given you an exhibition of acceleration. :)
They will give you a plea bargain at the arraignment, if it doesn't sit well with you plead not guilty and then decide if a lawyer is needed.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Are you saying no chance of being above 40MPH??

Exactly...

Been caught eyeballed before when actually speeding and gladly took the punishment for it... not so into doing it when I wasn't speeding though.

TransNone13
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 03:50 PM
I know they can eyeball it legally, which is complete bullshit. And at night? I would fight it, he may not even show up.

vort3xr6
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 04:37 PM
I always hated their "I had to do XX to catch up to you, therefore you were doing XX". That argument is completely invalid. Simple Velocity and time measurements can be used to prove he had no idea how fast you were going.

I can't find it in the revised statutes but there are minimum pacing distances in order to use visual as a speed measurement.

Samko
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 04:38 PM
Next time slap him , then tell him if he was trained to eyeball , he should've seen it coming. Therefore he is wrong !

asp_125
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Quick & dirty calcuation:

Assume Dodge Charger Hemi cop car. 0-60 4.9Sec
0-80 should be 6.53Sec

If he had to get to 80 to catch you, the duration of the "chase" should have been around 7-8 seconds accounting for reaction time and time to stop. If he pulled you over in less than that, no way could he have hit 80.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Next time slap him , then tell him if he was trained to eyeball , he should've seen it coming. Therefore he is wrong !

NICE!! LOL!

Is it really safe for him to be involved in an 80mph chase in that neighborhood?

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Quick & dirty calcuation:

Assume Dodge Charger Hemi cop car. 0-60 4.9Sec
0-80 should be 6.53Sec

If he had to get to 80 to catch you, the duration of the "chase" should have been around 7-8 seconds accounting for reaction time and time to stop. If he pulled you over in less than that, no way could he have hit 80.

Problem is, he was even slower. Driving a crown-vic :P

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 05:24 PM
NICE!! LOL!

Is it really safe for him to be involved in an 80mph chase in that neighborhood?

Thats what I was thinking... I was speeding underneath i25 but he was going 2x as fast in the residential neighborhood north of it X.x

Ghost
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Get a lawyer....

Nooch
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 08:19 PM
In traffic law there is a thing called Preponderance of Evidence (unless you're being charged with a misdemeanor). Which basically means that if the cop says you were speeding, his word alone in court serves as proof and the burden of providing proof that he is wrong (ask Grim about his traffic law victory back in January) is on you. If your record is fairly clean, the DA will probably offer a plea bargain. If your record is not clean (or you're being charged with a misdemeanor), lawyer up.

willb003
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 08:40 PM
You have stock gearing on your r6?
If so 10k is 49 mph.

Also your a kid on a crotch rocket. Bring lube so the legal rape does not hurt so much.

asp_125
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 09:52 PM
How can you be speeding when you go so slow in the parking lot? :lol:

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 09:59 PM
You have stock gearing on your r6?
If so 10k is 49 mph.

Also your a kid on a crotch rocket. Bring lube so the legal rape does not hurt so much.

Just tested it and my speedo says 43mph at 10k rpm. Now, thats not including the 10% difference I had with stock gearing when going through radar stations, and I am now geared so... even less.

Yea... being young sucks. I'm normally really responsible in the city :D

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 24th, 2012, 10:00 PM
How can you be speeding when you go so slow in the parking lot? :lol:

Good point... you got video that I can show the courts? lol

Fernman
Fri Jul 27th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Are those Chargers really faster than the Crown vics???

anyhow I would of told him you took off a little bit fast so he wouldn't hit you since his high-beams were on. sounds like a reaction to a potential accident.

Slo
Sat Jul 28th, 2012, 10:04 AM
I would take a picture of your gearing and newspaper from today. Then bring in a printed document that shows what max speed was. Explain that you went to 10k rpm, and plead not guilty. The police should be somewhat honest and say that he did not hear you shift into second while WOT?

I would fight this one and Bueller is right, you should have gotten an exhibition of speed/acceleration instead.

3point5
Sun Jul 29th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Get a lawyer....

I would agree - I say this because a good traffic lawyer will know the laws inside and out, stuff that your average citizen wont and the DA wont be able to pull the wool over your head. It'll probably cost you a few hundred dollars…but it'll cost you a few hundred dollars anyways…

I say fight it…I am going to fight ever single ticket I get from here on out because too many people just take the DA's shit-box offer and if EVERYONE fought their tickets it would fuck their system!

Gambino
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 08:12 PM
It's what I did in Australia, every goddamn ticket I took to court, because it would cOst them more to go through all the bs, same as when I got hit with my 1000+ fine, you can pay it back in installments and just to be a dick I did it at the lowest amount possible, took them 3 years to get all of it, and I'm assuming the system is even worse over here so fight the system