PDA

View Full Version : Commute time & routes: Thornton to Lakewood

Hyde
Thu Jul 26th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Home is in Thornton, school is in Lakewood. I'll be starting at 9am Monday-Friday and need to find a good route. I don't mind driving a little out of the way if I avoid stop & go traffic. Any suggestions besides 25(S)--76(W)--70(W)??

Ghosty
Thu Jul 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM
How far West in Lakewood? That will be the main factor on whether you want to go all the way South on I-25 then West on 6th Ave., or cut over Southwest on 76, or West on 70. Unfortunately there are no "magic bullets", but there are some various routes. Side streets means stopping frequently at lights and just as bad traffic, so it's really just easier to stay on the highway.

So which school in Lakewood?

Staying on the main highways it may get slow at times, but rarely just stop & go. The exception is I-25 northbound on the way home (after 4pm). Past the huge 25/36/76/225 combo ramps area it is gridlock, until you get to Thornton Pkwy or 104th at least. The gridlock lasts between 4:15pm and 5:15pm every weekday. I know this from a decade of commuting practice through that gauntlet, ugh. I've tried virtually every side-deal, including taking Pecos, Federal, even backtracking on 36, then over to I-25 north. During rushhour, all those are clogged up too, so it's not much difference in commute times.

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jul 26th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Where in Thornton? Where in Lakewood?

asp_125
Thu Jul 26th, 2012, 01:13 PM
If you take I-25, you can jump on the HOV lane in the morning SB at 70th av, and take 6th av west, and on 20th NB in the afternoon.

Erratic
Fri Jul 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM
I-25 south is a killer in the morning from Thornton. I would rather go Wadsworth all the way down. No matter which way you go, leave about 90mins early!

FZRguy
Fri Jul 27th, 2012, 03:56 AM
Pretty sure she needs to get to Red Rocks CC on two wheels. You can use the HOV lane on I-25, so that could work out. Or make your way to Wads and I-70 west. Try Kipling to 6th to Union/Simms, or go on to the Denver West exit and take Colfax to Indiana and come in on the west end of the frontage road.

Frankie675
Fri Jul 27th, 2012, 05:19 PM
I lived around the block from RRCC and worked in Thornton West side of I25. I would avoid I25 all together and use Federal BLVD to 76-70-lakewood. Federal blvd between 36 and 76 is quick with not much traffic or lights.

Hyde
Fri Jul 27th, 2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks everybody! School starts in a little less than a month (RRCC physician assistant program) so I'll do some trial runs. I live near 25/120th in Thornton. I'm going to try to do it on 2 wheels most days, but there's a few students in my class who live in Thornton so it might turn in to a carpool situation.

Foolds
Fri Jul 27th, 2012, 11:02 PM
I do the 136th to 6th ave and I-25 thing daily.. its a 45 min drive to work every day with taking the carpool lane. Could take Federal to I-76 to 6th ave.

Ghosty
Sat Jul 28th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Nice, didn't know RedRocks had a P.A. program! Actually the GoogleMaps directions is exactly what I'd do on the way there. I-25 down to 76, then looks like RRCC is right near the highway. You might run into a little slowdown between Thornton Pkwy and 84th, but it clears up shortly. Very rarely, between 7am - 8am, you might also run into a slowdown on 76 just past Pecos & Federal, but it clears up after that.

The way home is gonna suck though, if you're doing it anytime after 4pm or before 5:30pm. Alternatives are Federal North from 76, all the way up as far as you want, like 104th would work, then shoot east to 25.