PDA

View Full Version : Fav canyons/twisties near-ish

Carlsbad
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 03:49 AM
I've run most everything around here: 7, 34, coal creek, golden gate (bottom half is among my local favorite), p2p, both sides of squaw + others.

Am I missing anything? I'd like some new places to check out.

What/where are your favorite curves around here?

deadline
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 03:56 AM
I live near boulder, so for me its 7, lefthand and golden gate. But if you want to go looking for new places, I plan out of state trip before the end of summer and if anybody want to come with me to the state border line, it would be cool. maybe you find something you missed near by.

DriverDave
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 07:02 AM
I live in Littleton, so all my favs are south of I70...Bear Creek, Deer Creek, N/S Turkey Creek, Indian Hills, High Grade. Also just recently discovered Foxton and Hilldale Pines. Although, like most of the state, the tar snakes are getting out of hand. Deer Creek has always been a fav, but it lost a bit with this year's tar snaking.

JKOL
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 07:03 AM
Highway 14 between Fort Collins and Walden is awesome. It is like 7, but it lasts for over an hour. It has everything from 100+mph sweepers to tight twisties. For the most part the road was in great condition too.

Fumet5uNo
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 07:11 AM
agree with jkol 14 is great , my fav is squaw pass up to echo lake , there is allot down south out of moco , allot of people like deckers (find it boring my self) but i feel you im really getting bored need to explore more

cbrjohnny
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 07:45 AM
Highway 14 between Fort Collins and Walden is awesome. It is like 7, but it lasts for over an hour. It has everything from 100+mph sweepers to tight twisties. For the most part the road was in great condition too.

ill have to get out on this, im right off of hwy125 should be a good out and back for me.

salsashark
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 08:04 AM
front range is boring, full of traffic, and worse yet... full of cops.

Get out and explore a bit. There are some amazing roads in this state, but you got to pay to play. Put in the seat time and head west. You won't be disappointed.

BC14
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 08:23 AM

Get out and explore a bit. There are some amazing roads in this state, but you got to pay to play. Put in the seat time and head west. You won't be disappointed.
Absolutely. HWY 149 is one example of a great road. Also HWY 92, 133, 82.....

asp_125
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 09:27 AM
Start here and hit all the routes marked in red. :D

http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride/rider-resources.html

Thanks to ABATE, Ninja, and Spiderman, your questions have been answered.

IMO all the best roads in CO are west of the continental divide, with the exception of one loop out by Byers. ;)

Clovis
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 09:33 AM
Another +1 for 14 (Poudre Canyon). It's such a fun road and I can ride the for an hour while seeing 3 other cars.

I'm not sure what condition it's in now after the fires though.

The best roads are those less traveled. 133 between Pionia and Carbondale (aka McClure Pass) is like Highway 7 but last for 45 miles.

Black Canyon is one of my favorites.

Sean
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 09:35 AM

Absolutely.
These two yahoo's know what's up.

I'll be on the Grand Mesa and Million Dollar HWY this weekend! :hibye:

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
I'm not sure what condition it's in now after the fires though.

I rode through there last Thursday. It's in good shape. The west end has a lot of tar snakes though.

To the OP, get a copy of this:

The Book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado/dp/1884313922)

The author is on the board and I'm sure will chime in shortly...

longrider
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 10:40 AM
I rode through there last Thursday. It's in good shape. The west end has a lot of tar snakes though.

To the OP, get a copy of this:

The Book (http://www.amazon.com/The-Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado/dp/1884313922)

The author is on the board and I'm sure will chime in shortly...

Forget Amazon, we stock the book at Fay Myers and the copies are signed by Steve :)

dirkterrell
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Forget Amazon, we stock the book at Fay Myers and the copies are signed by Steve :)

Even better.

vort3xr6
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM
DTC blvd.

Matty
Tue Jul 31st, 2012, 02:46 PM
DTC blvd.

Haha... My old backyard. That and Inverness!!

Carlsbad
Fri Aug 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Thx for the replies all. Yes I need to explore more. I typically head out for early weekend AM couple-hour rides and not all day (cooler & less cops & cyclists out pre 0700-0800. 14 looks super. Bit of a slog to get there but you don't get nothin for nothin.. will check that plus more out. thanks again.