PDA

View Full Version : laptop advice

PsychoMike
Sun Aug 5th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I need advice for a new laptop. I just use it to watch videos, surf forums and occasionally some work typing and such. I'm looking for something that will hold up. 600to10000$ range.

~Barn~
Sun Aug 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM
If you enjoy watching videos, then make sure you get the nicest, largest screen that fits within your budget and techno-wants. An HDMI out is nice to have when you want to output to a big TV or something.

I have a 17.3 HP laptop, and I love it. I suspect it would be too large for consistent travel, but I just use mine around the house.

TransNone13
Sun Aug 5th, 2012, 08:17 PM
My vote goes for Vaio. But if you want something high speed, check out Voodoo or Falcon Northwest.

salsashark
Sun Aug 5th, 2012, 09:47 PM
+1 for the vaio. I bought mine back in 09 and I've never had a single problem with it... Of course, that may be because I bought the extended warranty.

Ghosty
Sun Aug 5th, 2012, 10:08 PM
If you are really only using it for the stuff you listed, and not gaming or doing any CPU and/or grfx intensive applications like Photoshop, video editing, 3d modeling, etc., you can pick up a decent laptop less than your range. NewEgg has a bunch even under $500, will go along way nowadays and perform your functions quickly and with no issue.

Here are their Intel Core i5 laptops w/ 15.6" screen, from $500 - $700: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100006740%20600003988%20600004344&IsNodeId=1&name=15%22%20-%2015.6%22

Most have an HDMI port, Windows7, and the usual specs.

stubbicatt
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 06:06 AM
MacBook.

longrider
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Here is a great local deal that will easily do what you want for $379 at Micro Center (http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0390577)

Nooch
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 10:06 AM
I picked up my 15" HP at Micro Center for $349. I use it mainly for a bit of web surfing, Netflix/HBOGo and it even runs the majority of my online games (at low graphics settings). So yeah your price range is well above the range for most machines that will do what you need. My HP is a bit finnicky though, I dont particularly care for it, but I've had Asus and Toshiba laptops in the past that I loved. Both likely offer models in the same ~$400 range or so.

asp_125
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Subscribing to this thread. :up:

We have our Macbooks and iPads, but I'm not so sold on the iPad as a travel PC when on the bike. I would like something inexpensive with wireless, SD slots, and rugged enough .. and small enough for a tank bag or tail bag. Sould be powerful enough to edit photos and short GoPro videos. Sounds like the 15" PCs might be the ticket?

PsychoMike
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 11:17 AM
I'm shying away from HP asbmy last two have died on me. Vaio looks like a good choice.

salsashark
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'm shying away from HP asbmy last two have died on me. Vaio looks like a good choice.

Reason for my vaio is because of a fried motherboard in an HP. When I went to Microcenter to replace it, there was an HP rep there and he sweared up, down and sideways that HP had mended their ways... I smiled and walked away.

Fast forward 1 year and my mom bought a HP laptop... the supposed upgrade to the paperweight currently rotting away in my basement. It lasted less than two years.

I'd go apple before HP.

longrider
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Reason for my vaio is because of a fried motherboard in an HP. When I went to Microcenter to replace it, there was an HP rep there and he sweared up, down and sideways that HP had mended their ways... I smiled and walked away.

Fast forward 1 year and my mom bought a HP laptop... the supposed upgrade to the paperweight currently rotting away in my basement. It lasted less than two years.

I'd go apple before HP.

I wonder if that is just a laptop situation or if you just had bad luck. I use nothing but HP desktops both personally and at work with no issues at all. I even have a couple at work that are around 10 years old and still running. Granted they have moved from a managers desk through several steps down to a very low use, low load function but they are still running

salsashark
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 11:39 AM
After my laptop died, I did some research and found that those models had bad overheating problems. It was well documented and HP even did an extended warranty recall for it.

Of course, mine died two months out of warranty and HP told me to pound sand.

Ghosty
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Been issued HP laptops at work for years. The PC techs here love them, say very low failure rate.

~Barn~
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Now you guys have me all stressed about my HP lappy!
:crosses fingers:

salsashark
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 01:43 PM
:lol:

If you don't have a DV7 or 9, I wouldn't worry about anything.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Durable and can double as a club.

http://www.panasonic.com/business-solutions/marketing-materials/mobilecomputers/photos/31/300/31_Dramatic_Right.jpg

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop-mobile-computers.asp

Ghost
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Durable and can double as a club.

http://www.panasonic.com/business-solutions/marketing-materials/mobilecomputers/photos/31/300/31_Dramatic_Right.jpg

http://www.panasonic.com/business/toughbook/laptop-mobile-computers.asp

At my former job I had an older version of the Toughbook for when I was out in the field, they really are robust as hell, but I think a bit of overkill for the OP's needs.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 04:58 PM
At my former job I had an older version of the Toughbook for when I was out in the field, they really are robust as hell, but I think a bit of overkill for the OP's needs.

Not if he wants to do his important movie watching and facebooking in a desert or tropical rainforest. I'm just sayin'... :hibye: Hahaha!

~Barn~
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 05:37 PM
Not if he wants to do his important movie watching and facebooking in a desert or tropical rainforest. I'm just sayin'... :hibye: Hahaha!

He'll want something solar powered (or with a hand crank) in that case.

http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/science/OLPC-Amish.jpg

mxer
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 05:59 PM
Lennovo are pretty solid. I'm impressed. I had a Panasonic toughbook for work. You could literally throw across the room into the case and not worry about it.

TransNone13
Mon Aug 6th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Both my Viaos survived Afghanistan. Lennovo is a great product too.

tstevens
Tue Aug 7th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Go with at least, minimum, 4gb of ram. Go with a middle of the road processor so you're not getting last years model and you are not paying for R&D. Stay away from integrated graphics cards, ie intel graphics. Hard drive is pretty self explanatory, I would stay as far away from HP as possible as I have never had good experiences with them, also stay away from Toshibas as they are junk and very expensive for parts, Sony's have a ton of screws to take them apart and can be a pain to fix. If you are going to get one from a mainstream computer company, I'd stick with Dell or Apple. Otherwise check out Newegg laptops, Asus makes a badass computer.