PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun (not wedding) talk

Vance
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 07:21 PM
Okay,
So in an interesting conversation I did not expect to have with the impregnated spousal unit - she questioned the existing home defense layout and methods - and too that suggested (even "authorized" in her hormonal method of thought) that I perhaps reinforce our current options with 3 shotguns - 1 for each floor.

To that - it's been AGES since I have purchased a shotgun... I mean ages like not since my dad and I were FFL'd dealers.

Now - my logic on this is that I'd love to roll something across the home that I know she could handle very easily (one must keep in mind she's a shortie) - like a trio of Beretta Xtrema2 series cut down to 18.5" barrels... but sadly I would like to buy a motorcycle this spring and blowing some $3900 on 3 shotguns seems a bit ridiculous given that overpowering desire / goal.

That said - as I remember it the Mossburg 500 and the Remington 870 series are typically the most reliable / recommended for home defense and general all around "use".

So I'm looking to hear what some thoughts are from the vox populi.

Some concepts to take into consideration:
Spousal unit is a shortie and a lightweight - so I may think even a 20 gauge may be an option to consider.

Spousal unit has never fired anything bigger than a .22 to date.

This will never be used for anything besides home defense or zombie apocalypse survival actions - no hunting, no skeet, nothing like that.

I'd prefer something that has a 7 or 7+1 option tube - while I have no desire to expect or she would ever need to plug away for 7-8 rounds before hitting an intruder - it's always nice to have those extra 2 rounds just in case.

I'd like to keep total cost under $600 per unit if possible - new.

Used is totally valid to me. So long as the thing was well treated who cares if it's been shot before.

Ready...
Steady...
GO!

rforsythe
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Either the Mossberg or Remmy would likely be fine for what you want. You can customize them to your liking, and if you think she's not going to handle a real 12ga round you can use a lighter shot I suppose, though I wouldn't suggest it. Rather, I suggest she learn how to shoulder and fire it properly. Home defense rounds have some kick for a reason, because lesser ones tend to be less effective at bad times.

Of course if you want to spend a little more, 15 rounds should do ya...
http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/kel-tec-ksg-15-round-shotgun-range-report/

maktastik_jr.
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM
i would go with a remington 870 20ga synthetic. cheap, light, reliable, and dangerous! i think the biggest tube on them you can find is 6 rounds. it will run you around 350 bucks

ATL
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Remington 870 Tactical 12ga checking in.

6+1, 18.5" barrel. Smooth as silk action. After adjusting the choke, I can shoot skeet with this damn thing.

Out of the 10 or so shotguns I've tested- the best (pardon the pun) bang for the buck HD weapon I chose was, hands down, the 870 tactical.

Good luck and have fun on your search!
-Chris

Grant H.
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Given how you laid this out I have to agree with maktastik.

Get the 20ga. Still plenty of whack in a home situation, and something your wife will appreciate when she starts learning to handle it.

She needs to shoot it a lot before she is going to be comfortable using it in any sort of a stressful situation.

Better yet, get a few guys on here that have variations of above the (20ga, 12ga, Rem, Mossy, Semi, Pump, etc...) that are willing to let you and your wife put at least 100rds each through them and see what you guys want.

FZRguy
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 08:40 PM
I like the 870 20 ga. with plug removed, cut the barrel down with a tube cutter, full stock (pistol grips look cool but not near as functional).

CO_Vol
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Measure the longest hallway in your home. That is your engagement zone. Most shotguns are designed for 20yd to 44+yd. Unless you are wealthy, 20yd is going to be your longest range. 20-12-16-10ga are all deadly effective in that range in 00 buck.

Since range may not (not knocking your home size) be your problem, firearm familiarity will be. Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 are the usual competitors in this field. Both can be found relatively inexpensive (300-550). Take your newly impregnated other and have her feel both guns, from the hip and shouldered. Don't worry about ammo count, if you fire more than 4 rounds in an CQ engagement you might as well cut them in half with a hatchet. This wont be a jon woo movie.

As Grant said, have her practice with it, get comfortable with the feel, kick, and how to clear misfires. Personally (4 years south florida LEO) I prefer the Mossberg because of the release button placement. When your adrenaline kicks in the first thing to go is fine motor skills.

No one can tell you what works best for you, your application, etc. My old coworkers loved their Glock 22. But being small of frame, I opted for the 23 because IT FIT ME. If she likes the pink/silver Remmi with pistol grip, and can hit the target 9/10 shots, get it.

Rhino
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Mossberg 500 12GA. 7+1. Readily availiable under $300. In the moment of need, a 12 gauge kick won't feel like much.'

maktastik_jr.
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 09:21 PM
http://world.guns.ru/userfiles/images/machine/mg69/m134-2.jpg

this should do

rforsythe
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Also being newly impregnated, do your progeny a favor and don't let her shoot guns until after the kid is born, and potentially after she's done breast feeding. Lead, etc are bad stuff for developing fetuses.

ATL
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 10:55 PM
Also being newly impregnated, do your progeny a favor and don't let her shoot guns until after the kid is born, and potentially after she's done breast feeding. Lead *and lead dust*, etc are bad stuff for developing fetuses.

Don't know how this hasn't been said yet, but this ^^^.
-Chris

JKOL
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 11:33 PM
I have the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. The Remington is the one I prefer, to me it just feels like a better gun, but both will be reliable and capable of doing the job.

Grant H.
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 11:42 PM
Also being newly impregnated, do your progeny a favor and don't let her shoot guns until after the kid is born, and potentially after she's done breast feeding. Lead, etc are bad stuff for developing fetuses.

The sound can also be hard on developing ears.

Have to go find the study, but there was one that showed after some point in the pregnancy that rock concerts and guns etc are bad for preggers women.

As CO_Vol said, 00 buck out of anything 20ga and up will be more than enough in a home.

While Rhino is right that during that situation a 12ga won't feel like much to her, you should never plan to use a weapon that you have not practiced with. I have told people to use a baseball bat for home defense when they told me that that was all they felt comfortable with. It is FAR better to go into a adrenaline pumping, stress filled, challenging situation with something that you are comfortable with, even if it is a technically less formidable weapon, than to go into that situation with something more formidable but less comfortable.

During stressful situations you will revert to your lowest level of training. Fine motor skills go away, so practice performing functions with gross motor skills (if we are talking pistol, don't rack the slide using index finger and thumb, use the heel of your hand and all four of your fingers. Gross motor skill rather than fine).

Because of that, and the lack of specs on wifey (save for "shorty"), I am expecting that the 12ga will likely leave a bad taste, and even a flinch. Perhaps my interpretation of "shorty" is wrong, but for some of the women I have taught, 12ga's are too much. A developed flinch is a muscle memory reaction that will occur during stressful situations. Just like your base training, if you learn a flinch, you will flinch when things count. A flinch can have extremely bad effects on a shot, even with a shotgun.

Despite the common misconception that you don't have to aim with a shotgun, you do. Very much so. Most 00 buck will pattern in the 3-5" range at "room distances" (12-15 feet) and around 8-10" at 20 yds. There is not the "spray" that most people refer to with a shotgun. Hence my saying you still need to aim, and my comment that a flinch would have detrimental effects on a shot.

Also like CO-Vol said, get something that fits. If she is going to be the one to use these primarily, get something that FITS HER! I have a shotty set up for me on my side of the bed, and one setup for her on her side of the bed.

Anyway, sorry for rambling.

Grant H.
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Oh yeah, my choice is Remmy 870, but it really is a personal choice.

Its like chevy vs ford vs dodge to me. I had a bad experience with my one and only mossy, but all my 870's have been flawless, so I choose Remmys.

Ghost
Thu Aug 9th, 2012, 11:46 PM
http://images.wikia.com/armyoftwo/images/c/cb/Usas12.jpg

USAS-12, optimized for Home Defense, accept no substitutes...

Wrider
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 01:58 AM
I'm very partial to the Mossy 500, and if you want the 7+1 and home defense, it's got the 590 configuration for stock. You can get it with a front bead or ghost ring, 20" barrel, but it only comes in 12 gauge.

If recoil is a big concern (obviously with the spousal unit it will be), check out the Benelli Nova Tactical. The kick on it is a lot less (similar barrel lengths) than my 500, and my 500 even has barrel vents. Plus it lends itself to easy follow-up shots due to the fact that it unlocks and starts the slide back after the shot automatically.
It, however, only comes in a 5+1 configuration with an 18.5" barrel. It does come with glo-dot sites that are very easy to use.

stubbicatt
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Remington 870 is a nice versatile gun on which you can change out barrels rather easily, one for HD w/ a tritium sight another with vented barrel for hunting, clay pigeons.

Vance
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 07:11 AM
http://images.wikia.com/armyoftwo/images/c/cb/Usas12.jpg

USAS-12, optimized for Home Defense, accept no substitutes...

You know - the USAS-12 appears in my still favorite go-to FPS multiplayer game... and in pretty much every server, every still existing clan... resorting to the USAS gets you a reminder of what USAS means: "U Suck At Shooting!"

Still... badass weapon in real world. It's what Royce used in Predators! :)
Oh wait - that was a movie!

Ghosty
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 09:05 AM
...and too that suggested (even "authorized" in her hormonal method of thought) that I perhaps reinforce our current options with 3 shotguns - 1 for each floor.
Wow, now that's a good woman, sounds like a keeper!

Great info in this thread, thanks for sharing.

rforsythe
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Moss 500 new for $279. Hard to beat that...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/GUN-G52134?utm_source=EmailDirect.com&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=MossbergSale+-+8%2f10+Campaign

Ghosty
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Damn, that site is blocked at work. Is it only firearms sales?

#1Townie
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Moss or rem. Buuuuut with this being home defense can i suggest that after the baby is born and all that fun stuff that some shooting days are required for a proper decision. If she is not comfortable with any of your first options it could end up being a waste. With home defense all parties need to be familiar with the choices in how they work and know what its going to feel like pulling the trigger. Im sure this has already been thought of. Just putting it out there. I also only ran bird shot for in home. Sure its the smallest 12 gauge but i would hate to over penetrate.

rforsythe
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Damn, that site is blocked at work. Is it only firearms sales?

Cheaper Than Dirt sells firearms, ammo, parts, accessories, etc. I think they got their big boost selling discounted bulk ammo and extended that to other things. Haven't ever purchased a firearm from them, but have with other things and they're decent to work with.

To buy the $279 Mossy, you'd pay them online and set up the usual local FFL transfer thing for them to ship to, like any other online gun dealer.

Ghosty
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 01:10 PM
That's a smokin' deal on a new one!

puckstr
Fri Aug 10th, 2012, 05:00 PM
Cheaper Than Dirt sells firearms, ammo, parts, accessories, etc. I think they got their big boost selling discounted bulk ammo and extended that to other things. Haven't ever purchased a firearm from them, but have with other things and they're decent to work with.

To buy the $279 Mossy, you'd pay them online and set up the usual local FFL transfer thing for them to ship to, like any other online gun dealer.

Agreed

I am a "Preferred" FFL transfer agent for Cheaperthandirt and Bud's

thatmofo
Sun Aug 12th, 2012, 01:36 AM
Remington 870 Tactical 12ga checking in.

6+1, 18.5" barrel. Smooth as silk action. After adjusting the choke, I can shoot skeet with this damn thing.

Out of the 10 or so shotguns I've tested- the best (pardon the pun) bang for the buck HD weapon I chose was, hands down, the 870 tactical.

Good luck and have fun on your search!
-Chris

Word + a Spec Ops stock

maktastik_jr.
Sun Aug 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM
Buds Gun Shop all the way!

Suki
Mon Aug 13th, 2012, 11:31 PM
Maybe I missed it because I skipped past all the boring gun talk but... tell me again WHY you want to arm your hormonal pregnant wife? ARE YOU F*CKING INSANE?! lol.

Continue with your boring banter.

:)

rforsythe
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Maybe I missed it because I skipped past all the boring gun talk but... tell me again WHY you want to arm your hormonal pregnant wife? ARE YOU F*CKING INSANE?! lol.

Continue with your boring banter.

:)

The neurotic post-hormonal asian chick has a point...

FZRguy
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 11:51 AM
On all three floors no less...

200sr20
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 01:37 PM
I have a Maverick 88 7+1 with an collapable AR stock on it and I love that gun!!!!!

Zach929rr
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Just scoped out a friend's Keltec KSG 12ga. Man does the action feel smooth on that thing. He just got it after a 10 month wait for manufacturing. That thing is the tits.

FZRACE97
Mon Nov 12th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Was looking at getting a Benneli Nova tactical 12ga but ended
up taking home a Remmington 870 Express this weekend.
Just liked the look and feel of the
870 and felt the the Benneli had too much foo foo plastic detail.

So, where on the the front range are some good outdoor places
to put some rounds through?

FZRguy
Mon Nov 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
There's the place on the way to Deckers, just north of the turnout, on the west side of the road.

Wrider
Mon Nov 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM
As long as you're in national forest but not in El Paso County, you're legal.

(And outside of any city limits of course)

*Also remember that I'm referring to places around Colorado Springs*

TransNone13
Mon Nov 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
This (Zach mentioned it):

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/KSG_4459web.jpghttp://www.keltecweapons.com/uploaded_files/ourguns/gallery/b_ad06f8357508a9b2087e460442307fb1DSC03535.jpg

Caliber 12 gauge 3”
Barrel length 18.5"
Total capacity
6+6+1
Weight empty 6.9lbs
Weight loaded 8.5lbs
Length 26.1"
Height 7"

You can load both stacks with the same load or buck, slug etc. Cheap for what it is, $880 MSRP. Bullpup design, composite construction... everything you want to fuck something up close quarters. Pump action.

ThorsTwin
Mon Nov 12th, 2012, 08:58 PM
I just got a Remington Wingmaster 12 Ga. with an 18" barrel out of one of my local pawn shops for $146. It has some minor wear on it and it functions/shoots perfectly.