PDA

View Full Version : 2000 r6 power loss

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 01:40 PM
I have 2000 r6 that I recently purchased a few weeks ago , I took it for a ride up to FairPlay co and the bike started bogging down . I got the bike home to find the air filter was really dirty . So I replaced it and still I had the same problem . Any way here's what I've done.
Replaced the air filter
Installed new plugs
New Oli n filter
Cleaned the carbs off the bike
Cleaned the jets out they are stock
Adjusted the floats

So the bike runs ok , slight idle roughness but I'm getting no top end speed my bike will only go like 75-80mi an hour and not pull any higher after 8000rpm any sugestions ? The bike originally from Iowa . Please help and thank you

Repsol a095
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Jetting? Needle adjustment? It sounds like a carb issue to me.

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Thats what i was thinking , do u think a carb sync would be in order if i were to jet the carbs?

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I also ran some good bg cleaner through a couple tanks of gas after the carb clean hasent made any improvement to anything though

rybo
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'm guessing that you have a bad spark plug wire or spark plug cap. The electricity for the ignition is arcing to the block before getting to the plug.

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Is there any way to check the plug wires? Or is it something that needs to be checked with a diag machine?

TFOGGuys
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Rybo's on the right track. Fuel, compression, spark. You need all 3 to run. Assuming you have the carbs assembled correctly, the next 2 things to check are spark and compression. An easy way to determine which cylinder is down is to let the bike idle far a minute or so, and spray water on the headpipes just outside the head with a spray bottle. the cylinder that's missing will be significantly cooler. If all 4 cylinders are running at idle, check the line that goes from the fuel bowl vents on the carbs to the ram air tubes. If that line is not connected, the bike won't run at speeds that create any significant airbox pressure.

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Cool thanks guys ill check eveything out. I appreciate the info

BadR6Man
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 09:20 PM
You most likely have a bad ignition coil. Disconnect one coil at a time with engine running.
The one you disconnect which does make engine idle worse is Iculprit. Verify that it is the coil by swapping to another cylinder .

Jmetz
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 09:32 PM
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a banana stuck in the tailpipe?

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Lol no banana stuck in the tail pipe lol , and i ll check out the coils as well thanks

Ghost
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Have you checked to make sure you don't have a banana stuck in the tailpipe?

Have you checked your own tailpipe for bananas lately? :slappers:

mike00r6
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I checked out the coils ,when i pulled off coil on the first cylinder i could hear it spark but it made the bike idle worse, the 2nd 3rd & 4th made the bike idle high , so should i replace the coil on cylinder ?