PDA

View Full Version : Carrying gear + passengers

Casper
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Hi all, was wondering if anyone had faced the dilemma of carrying a passenger + a small amount of cargo at the same time. The last year of being 100% bike only for transportation got me VERY creative with large cargo, but always involving straps over the back seat/tail. Saddlebags don't seem to accommodate a passenger's leg room, and the tank bag by itself doesn't carry enough for say, going camping 2up. I was thinking about using the shoulder strap rings on my tank bag as a point to droop a couple of lightweight duffels off either side of the bike, but was worrying about how this weight would shift in turns and whether it would effect the cooling system hanging right around the sides of the engine.

Any thoughts? Anyone dealt with this kind of issue before?

Clovis
Sat Aug 11th, 2012, 11:07 PM
COSR Casper?

If you want two up plus luggage you want a sport tourer.

kawasakirob
Mon Aug 13th, 2012, 11:38 PM
I know my dad has run into the same issue on his Busa when carrying a passenger as well as camping gear for two on multiple trips. Your bike is a F4i correct? Does it still have the passenger grab rail?If so, there is a company who makes a bracket kit that clips onto the rear grab rail. A grate attaches to the brackets and gives you room to bungee tents and stove kits/camping stuff to it. The grate is not very big, but you can bungee a surprising amount of stuff to it. What saddle bags do you run? I am using a set of Cortech Sport bags and they can accommodate passengers fairly well. I would stray from drooping stuff from your tank bag for reasons including bar Clarence and fire hazards as well as the reason you mentioned. Let me get my dad on here and he should be able to get a little more in depth with the company that makes the bracket stuff and tell you how it feels. I know the bike caught wind a little more since the gear acted like a sail. It also re distributed the weight by really lightening up the front but nothing major. Let me check with him

OATSF14JERRY
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Casper, Jerry here, kawasakirobs dad. I do not know what type of bike you ride. F4? Go here:

http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/sports_racks.htm

They make a rack for that bike. Several things to remember, IF you ride an F4 it is a sport touring bike. You and yours are good. Bags listen to Rob. We use Cortech but several brands will work. Tank bag, get an expandable clip on. I personally do not like BIG magnetic bags. I have never used one that did not move around on the tank. Small magnetics are fine, large ones are not. My opinion.

With a rack, bags and tank bag you and yours can do a 7 day camping trip with full gear, full cooking gear and even chairs to sit on. ALL of this will fit on an F4 if you buy the right stuff. Contact either Rob or myself. This is what i have done for 30+ years/Rob for 10. We will help you.

OATSF14JERRY
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Forgot to add this. For the Busa, Renntec made my rack. Excellent. Link is here:

http://www.renntec.co.uk/

English company. Great product. The previous link sells their stuff.

OATSF14JERRY
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Gee, three posts in a row. I feel like a ho. Casper, listen....your F4i is a sport touring bike. Back in the day you could ride sport bikes for great distances and go fast. The F4i is a classic. Sorry about not knowing you rode one. Getting new to this forum. It is mentioned in your info. You can, and you are able to tour for days, 2 up on your bike. I will help you outfit. Question...who other than motorcycle riders care about weight and size? (women and smart asses hush)

Backpackers. My God man you live in Colorado. Heaven. Everything you buy for your 2 up riding, think of backpackers. (Rob and I do this by the way) Tents, sleeping pads and bags?? Buy small and buy good. It will cost you a bit but the stuff will last you 20 years. Cooking gear? Titanium, VERY costly but it will last you longer than you are alive and it weighs nothing. You are my kinda guy. We will take care of you if you ask. Below is a fully loaded Busa. ALL camping gear, cooking gear, chair and a table with a vase and fake flower. (Impresses the ladies)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-hhR8K310H1o/UCrlMgYh0_I/AAAAAAAAAbs/OHqHXT1iRpo/h120/DSCN0408.JPG

Take care.

OATSF14JERRY
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 05:57 PM
Sorry for the small photo. I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Casper
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 10:44 PM
Guys, thanks for all your help.

Let me start by saying, no I sure as hell don't need a different bike. Experience has taught me if there's something you can't do with your bike, consider replacing the rider. A little bit of background - I spent the last winter almost homeless in Utah, and largely eating and keeping a roof over my head by being the only volunteer at this non-profit cafe that could do the shopping on a regular basis. What this meant was, with just my motorcycle, I brought home grocery lists that included things like 10 dozen eggs, 100 pounds of flour, sugar, rices, ridiculous amounts of produce and frozen meats, etc... I had a $700 list that I got twice a week, on the F4i.

The way my saddlebags seem to fit best, pending some modifications, is just slightly over/forward of the passenger pegs, with extremely heavier items causing them to rest on the pegs. I've never liked exactly how they fit, but haven't been able to figure out moving them aft without resting on turn signal stalks and/or blocking them. In the near future I am getting an undertail eliminator kit that will seriously reduce the width of the turn signals and I believe allow me to adjust how i mount the bags significantly.

I'm not sure what brand my bags are, my tank bag is a "Rapid Transit." It is the only magnetic bag I have ever used and I have been EXTREMELY happy with it. It almost never leaves the bike. I frequently squeeze everything I can imagine into it and it has never moved around on me and has taken an incredible amount of abuse. It didn't budge an inch when the bike was dropped at 40mph with it on the tank and full of stuff.

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Tank-Bags/Rapid-Transit-Big-City-Magnetic-Mount-Tank-Bag/87198.html?gclid=CMjng-yp67ECFahAMgod91kA8w

I'm definitely interested in getting some lighter/smaller gear, but right now is not the moment for me to be spending a ton of money. That rack looks like a fantastic bang for the buck, I had no idea one could get these for a sportbike. I think getting one of these would solve all of my problems and then some.

Thank you very much for the help! I would love to go camping with you guys some time.

OATSF14JERRY
Thu Aug 16th, 2012, 05:01 AM
Set a reminder in your phone for next spring to contact me. I would expect next early June we can do a few days. I will bring all the cooking gear. Over the winter we can keep in touch. Planning is half the fun. Get the rack. Worth it.