PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass repair

Mother Goose
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Anyone have a good place in Denver to pick up a fiberglass repair kit? There's a spot on my new body work that I'd like to fix before the next round. Or if anyone would like to help me out, I can bring beer. :eyebrows:

Bueller
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Most any of the big auto parts chains have the kits, I prefer to work with the gel resin.

Mother Goose
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:03 AM
That's what I was thinking. I'll check out the gell resin. Never worked with it before, so thanks for the tip.

spideyrdr
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:08 AM
You can get the supplies at Wal-Mart or any autoshop.

Get a couple of disposable tubs for mixing the resin in, some disposable gloves, a couple of ~1" wide brushes for applying the resin to the fiberglass, and a decent mask unless you want to kill off a few brain cells. :) I don't know if it was the best approach, but I would lay the fiberglass mat on a piece of aluminum foil then spread the resin on the mat. Then place the coated mat on the back side of the piece you are repairing. Once the fiberglass resin is cured, fill in the void with some filler, wait for that to cure, and sand it down.

Small fiberglass repair is really not bad. Though, the last repair I did was about 2 years ago so maybe I am forgetting the worst parts. That's the good part about getting older, it gives us a chance to forget how shitty something was LAST time around.

How big of a repair are you talking about here?

asp_125
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:30 AM
If it is just a small crack, fill in the back with crazy glue and sprinkle baking soda, sand and apply fiberglass tape if more reinforcing is needed.