PDA

View Full Version : And Another One Bites the Dust

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Pictures will be forth coming in the near future, but...as of 6:30 this morning there is one less deer and one less Triumph Speed Triple in the world =(. Was on my way to work and was literally only about 75 yards from from the gate on a long straight section when two deer ran into the road. One went across and the other hesitated...I t-boned her at about 45mph.

The bike is destroyed, the deer is destroyed, and my gear saved my life. Helmet is trashed, jacket is scraped up pretty badly, gloves were shredded...but like a dumbass I didn't have my leather pants on. As a result, my right knee is ground down to exposed patella and a little bit of rash on the back of my right calf.

Left ankle hurts like hell, but it's not broken. I have a black left eye from where I assume my helmet hit the pavement really hard. But other than all that I am pretty good considering.

Deer suck.

stubbicatt
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Dayum! Glad you are ok. Thanks for the reminder to wear gear.

madvlad
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 07:18 PM
That sucks bro but all in all thankfully you're all good man. RIP deer and Triple :(

salsashark
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 07:20 PM
DAMN...

bikes can be replaced, glad you made it out "relatively" unscathed.

mdub
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 07:28 PM
DAMN...

bikes can be replaced, glad you made it out "relatively" unscathed.

hmmm i dunno...."right knee is ground down to exposed patella and a little bit of rash on the back of my right calf. "

sounds like some lasting pain for a bit...

salsashark
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 08:59 PM
hmmm i dunno...."right knee is ground down to exposed patella and a little bit of rash on the back of my right calf. "

sounds like some lasting pain for a bit...

All things considered... yep.

Consider the alternatives.

Clovis
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Ohh no Kyle! That really sucks!! :(

Glad to hear you're relatively okay. Only two things I fear when riding.

1) Cops
2) Deer and other suicidal woodland creatures.

kingtut
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 09:58 PM
Glad you won the deer vs. bike battle...the war continues.

Hope you heal up soon.

CaptGoodvibes
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Deer suck!

Sorry you got hurt.

Jason ON
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:33 PM
I was tboned by a deer once. Deer suck.

JKOL
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:38 PM
Sorry to about your Triple, but good to hear you aren't too beat up.

AOK303
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Awww man that sucks I'm glad your ok
what pants were you wearing work slacks or jeans you work for Lockeed Martin right?
Oi hope you heal up quickly

but when you do look for new bike i think Drunk tank is selling his speed Triple

Grant H.
Tue Aug 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
That sucks.

Hope you heal quickly.

FZRguy
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 01:01 AM
I've narrowly escaped hitting a deer a few times. Hope you feel better soon.

JKOL
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Awww man that sucks I'm glad your ok
but when you do look for new bike i think Drunk tank is selling his speed Triple

He already sold it.

Wrider
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Sorry to hear you went down... Glad you're ok!

sprtbkbabe
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 08:06 AM
Wow! 2 out of 3 didn't make it from your accident!

Very glad to hear you are relatively ok. Heal up fast!

Ezzzzy1
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Heal up fast buddy!

Zach929rr
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Quit wreckin motacicles.

birchyboy
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Quit wreckin motacicles.

Or maybe start riding a Can-Am :eyebrows:

Sully
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Deer suck!

Deer are stupid, but tasty :yumyum:

Sorry about your collision :(
Good thing you had your gear on! Heal up quick.

Nooch
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 09:48 AM
No bueno! Sorry to hear the bad news but glad you're alright! If you haven't done it already, Im sorry to say but your first few showers with that knee rash are going to hurt like hell. Have a few shots of something strong if possible, it helps. If you've never dressed road rash before, I recommend Tegaderm bandages with a gauze cover and wrap it all in an ACE bandage. Expect alot of drainage for several days. Hope you heal up quickly!

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Deer are stupid, but tasty :yumyum:

'like'

maktastik_jr.
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 02:14 PM
I recommend Tegaderm bandages with a gauze cover and wrap it all in an ACE bandage. Expect alot of drainage for several days. Hope you heal up quickly!
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/Bill_MacWithey/d7cdbf82.jpg
thats my road rash experience. also took a divot out of my knee cap damn near to my bone.
I make sure you get the nice Johnson and Johnson no stick gauze pads. they will still stick a little bit but MUCH less then the typical gauze pad. road rash sucks.

Ghosty
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Holy shit! Glad you lived. Hope you get some good meds, that rash looks PAINFUL, ugh.

maktastik_jr.
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Holy shit! Glad you lived. Hope you get some good meds, that rash looks PAINFUL, ugh.
Haha thats not his rash thats my ass rash from last summer. my ass was introduced to cheap seal pavement at 55mph. fucking aweome

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Haha thats not his rash thats my ass rash from last summer. my ass was introduced to cheap seal pavement at 55mph. fucking aweome
Holy shit a post from Big Bill! How ya been bro?

Oh, and sorry to hear the OP had a run-in with a deer. Sux man, hope you heal up soon and get a new bike!

maktastik_jr.
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 03:20 PM
[QUOTE=CYCLE_MONKEY;692618]Holy shit a post from Big Bill! How ya been bro?/QUOTE]
haha this is big bill junior, spawn of bird himself. i just stole his sig pic

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Aug 15th, 2012, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=CYCLE_MONKEY;692618]Holy shit a post from Big Bill! How ya been bro?/QUOTE]
haha this is big bill junior, spawn of bird himself. i just stole his sig pic
Ahhh....well, hope Da Man hizzself is doin' fine! :)

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 12:25 AM
Update
Healing goes well. Should be back to work on Wednesday.

Picked up new gear over the weekend. Jacket was still serviceable and safe despite some newly applied "character" marks, so I saved some money there (and still got paid by insurance for it!). Lookin' at a bike tomorrow.

New gear:
HELMET--Scorpion EXO-500...Scorpion's helmets have saved my life on at least one occasion, and certainly my face on both. Full face helmets for the win. 3/4 just never would have cut in either of my wrecks.
GLOVES--Scorpion SG full gauntlets...no more shorties for me. A full gauntlet glove would have saved me a puncture wound on my right wrist.
PANTS--Scorption Deuce...that actually fit great as strict pants (not overpants), eliminating any excuse for me not to wear them. I still have leather overpants for winter riding.
BOOTS--Icon Reign...nice tall upper and armor for support and protection should (yet another) future incident occur.

I've always been an advocate of riding gear. But I've not always implemented it appropriately (not having actual proper boots, just work boots). No more. I'm absolutely ATTGATT from here on out, no exceptions. If I'd had my leather pants on and actual motorcycle riding boots on 3 weeks ago, I'm convinced I wouldn't have missed more than a day of work. As it is, I've been in Suckville.

And one last measure that I'm taking: I signed up for the Oct. 13th Intermediate Rider Course with ABATE at Red Rocks Community College next month. At my current level, I don't believe there's anything I could have done differently to avoid that deer 3 weeks ago (and God knows it's gone through my head a million times now). But I also believe there's room for me to improve so that I CAN avoid it in the future.

Anyway...I still don't have pics yet (been lazy on the couch, sue me!), but I'll get some up soon.

One last thing: Let It Ride on Colfax (couple blocks from G-Force) is just awesome. Tons of apparel, decent selection of boots and helmets (though I had to have my helmet ordered), and awesome folks running the place. They've got Grand Prix beat by miles. Definitely worth the trip for me from where I'm at in Littleton even though Grand Prix is much closer.