PDA

View Full Version : 2004 gsxr 1000 front wheel removal

GSXR-ATW
Sun Aug 14th, 2005, 02:45 PM
As the title implies I'm trying to take the front wheel off my 04 gix thou. First time I've tried so I hadn't noticed that they changed the front axle from earlier generations. The manual says you need a special suzuki tool, but all it is a really huge allen wrench, does anyone know where you can get one that size or know of something else you can use?

3/4gixxer
Sun Aug 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Tried at all the tool shops and hardware stores in Longmont. Too big for any of them. Twin Peaks can order you one or you can go through www.oneidasuzuki.com and get one.

Bashed
Sun Aug 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Sometimes you can use the hex end of a sparkplug socket
if you dont have the proper size allen.
late Bash

GSXR-ATW
Sun Aug 14th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the help fellas.

Sparker
Mon Aug 15th, 2005, 09:23 PM
were you able to get it off??

Desmo
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Dave,
Get a Yamaha !!! HA

Hey man like bash said you can use a spark plug socket..
it works for the R6...

this is the link

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23652

Luck..

if it dont work.. just bring it over the house i have a reciprocating saw I have been dieing to use… :D

R1chie
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 07:58 AM
Dave,
Get a Yamaha !!! HA

it works for the R6...

this is the link

Luck..

if it dont work.. just bring it over the house i have a reciprocating saw I have been dieing to use… :D

That would be overkill, a small 2 oz ball peen hammer has been known to remove the entire front end from a suzuki :lol:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 08:47 AM
I've made a few of the front rim tools. I have a couple sitting at home if you are interested.

GSXR-ATW
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 08:51 AM
I've made a few of the front rim tools. I have a couple sitting at home if you are interested.

I'm definitely interested, where are you at? I'm trying to get them changed before Friday.

GSXR-ATW
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Dave,
Get a Yamaha !!! HA

it works for the R6...

this is the link

Luck..

I've tried the spark plug socket, its too small.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 10:02 AM
I'm in Commerce City. Let me know.

Desmo
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Dave go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap set.. they should have it..
The tools are crappie but useful..

GSXR-ATW
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 11:29 AM
Dave go to Harbor Freight and get a cheap set.. they should have it..
The tools are crappie but useful..

Do they have an Allen set that big or are you talking a cheap set of the spark plug sockets?

Desmo
Tue Aug 16th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I need a 46mm to take the rear rim off the Duc and that was the only place i found one. SO I think its worth a trip, i'm not sure what they have.

GSXR-ATW
Wed Aug 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Well, I couldn't find anything at harbor freight, but I found that take a 6" bolt that has the right size head, welding a nut to the other end and then take about a 12" wrench and turning it works really well. I've got Pilot Powers BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!