PDA

View Full Version : Need advice, looking at a house in Lone tree area

Drama
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 04:44 PM
Hi Guys,

I was looking to buy a house in highlands ranch, but found one I like in the Wildcat Ridge subdivision which is just southeast of Quebeck and Lincoln.

Some questions I have:
-What do you guys think of the area?
-Why is the address Littleton, not highlands ranch or lone tree? I heard it's part of unicorporated littleton, but i don't get that since littleton is is so far northwest on a map?
-Any major concerns for that area I should know about?

Fumet5uNo
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Most address down here are littleton, highlands was just an hoa that turned its self in to it's own town to be honest I hate ranch area tax and crap suck

tecknojoe
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 05:08 PM
I live in Lone Tree right now, and before in Highlands Ranch. I love the area. Don't know why sometimes addresses in Lone Tree and HR say littleton. Best area in Denver IMO, but the only drawback is that I have to wake up early so I can avoid traffic heading to work

Lot of yuppies and milfs but I can tune out the annoying people pretty easily

longrider
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I know people who live in that area and it seems nice but no real first hand experience

The Littleton thing is just a fluke of the post office and zip codes. Its just like the area north of Lincoln and east of I25 is called Englewood even though it is nowhere near Englewood. Or where I used to live just outside of Westminster was called Denver by the post office.

Fumet5uNo
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I also work in loner tree, so I have a sour taste for the area

kingtut
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 06:08 PM
Lot of yuppies

Hey yo!

I love the area. No concerns...

cbrjohnny
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
rent... dont be a slave to a pile of bricks!

asp_125
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Easy distance to HPR and PPIR. Just jump on the highway. :D

sag
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 10:01 PM
i love the area, grew up just outside the ranch. my concerns would be sending your child to school with those "ranch kids". the youth i see around that area makes me really not want a kid this time and age haha

kingtut
Sat Aug 25th, 2012, 10:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oC45CC1s-0

Ghosty
Sun Aug 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
One thing to watch out for in Highlands Ranch is build quality. Remember in the 90's that region EXPLODED, one of the fastest growing residential areas in the country. So of course you will get your fair share of cookie cutter builders who use the cheapest materials, churning out boxes by the thousands.

I especially remember hearing about multiple neighborhoods without adequate soil test/prep, improper grading, inadequate drainage, flooding basements, sinking foundations, driveways cracking, etc. Also check the brands/quality of mechanicals & appliances. Like the furnace, water heater, W&D, A/C units, what type of plumbing was used, what type/quality of framing/joists were used. If the basement is still unfinished you can see exactly. Does the area have "swelling/shrinking soils", clays? Does it have the major metal pillars that have been punched down to bedrock? (I don't know the exact terminology, or how often it's needed). I do know that my builder (Continental) errs on the side of caution and put in a (ventilated) floating basement even though my soils report was fine. Also have four of those metal pillars supporting most of the house on two long I-beams. How's the roof and how long before needing repair or redone?

Also investigate who the original builder was. Richmond, K&B, Continental, DR Horton, Pulte, etc. Lots of info out there...

I'm not saying it's all like that, just be wary, and have due dilligance when getting the one you might buy inspected thoroughly.

Drama
Sun Aug 26th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Thanks Ghostly, Great advice. I plan to go though that with a fine tooth comb. My impression is the house we like is VERY solid. new roof put on last month because of the hail damage, all appliances are a year old, new counters, new hard wood floors throughout the entire house, etc. Although I wanted a finished basement, the unfinished gives a a great view on how the foundation is, how electrical and plumbing was done, and other insights into possible sources of issues.

Lets hope we come to an agreement on price and then see what the inspector says.

Ghosty
Sun Aug 26th, 2012, 11:18 AM
Sweet! Sounds like it's already got the important stuff done, makes life much easier, and gives you more confidence you don't have to replace any appliances anytime soon. Finished basement would be nice, but look at the bright side, you can do it EXACTLY the way you want. Good luck!

Drama
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Looks like it's a done deal. inspection and appraisal stuff is done. Closing October 12th!

AOK303
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
HOUSE PARTY

tecknojoe
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 06:31 PM
Looks like it's a done deal. inspection and appraisal stuff is done. Closing October 12th!

Nice, welcome to the area. there's a few cool CSCer's in the area

DorJammer
Thu Sep 6th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Hi Guys,

I was looking to buy a house in highlands ranch, but found one I like in the Wildcat Ridge subdivision which is just southeast of Quebeck and Lincoln.

Some questions I have:
-What do you guys think of the area?
-Why is the address Littleton, not highlands ranch or lone tree? I heard it's part of unicorporated littleton, but i don't get that since littleton is is so far northwest on a map?
-Any major concerns for that area I should know about?

I actually live in Wildcat on the East side (pool side)

The homes over their range from Estates to servants quarters. I live in the servants section <lol>

Great nieghborhood, great schools.

Nieghbors were a little aloof, but we started the "drag your grill in the street and get drunk" tradition on my block 5 years ago. Seemed to thaw things out quit a bit.

Several riders on my block, 900 Ducati Monster, ST 1300 and my GSXR 1000 as well as the guy with the 750 Magna.

We have managed to get together and ride a few times a year.

Welcome to the hood!

:hibye: