PDA

View Full Version : Stove Prairie Road Sunday 26 Aug.

stubbicatt
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 06:40 AM
What a wonderful road. Started at the north end at the Poudre River, and ended up in Estes Park. This road is a must do! Until now I had thought the Deckers route from Pine Junction was the cat's meow. Now, I have to reconsider. Nice and tight and technical, not too fast. Beautiful country.

Give it a try if you haven't.

Matrix
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Isn't their a ton of new chip seal in this area? We saw the fresh tar and turned towards Horse Tooth instead.

dirkterrell
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 07:55 AM
Isn't their a ton of new chip seal in this area? We saw the fresh tar and turned towards Horse Tooth instead.

Yes. I went through there about a month ago after the chip but before the seal. Not much fun. It's probably pretty nice now.

Lomax
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM
I rode it yesterday also and it was fine, no chip seal problems. There was a bit of sand on it but that is fairly normal. Did you happen to see a white BMW R100RS and a red PC800 on your trip ? I did see a bunch of bikes.

Marc

RajunCajun
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 09:04 AM
I rode it yesterday also and it was fine, no chip seal problems. There was a bit of sand on it but that is fairly normal. Did you happen to see a white BMW R100RS and a red PC800 on your trip ? I did see a bunch of bikes.

Marc

I was riding with SC and don't remember seeing those two bikes. We were riding south and saw a few bikes coming up north but I was pretty focused on the that crazy road so I didn't notice what kind of bikes they were. It was a lot of fun!

Lomax
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 09:08 AM
We had breakfast up at Verns at 08:00 and were probably headed south on Stove Prairie by about 9:30 to 10. It is a fun, slow, scenic road. I was amazed at the destruction, and lack of destruction of the fire. It skipped around a lot.

Marc

TinkerinWstuff
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Terrible road. All of you should stay away and off rist canyon road too.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Matrix
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Might consider it for the next time then. Starting from the south, we headed towards Horse Tooth. Absolutly amazed at how low the water level is.

PunyJuney
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
I was there yesterday also. Had a great ride and lunch at the Mishawka. Great food, great deck, if I wasn't on 2 I would have had a few cocktails. The chip has been sealed for the most part from the poudre canyon through the burn area of Stove Prairie. They have a few miles to go an it's scheduled to happen this week. The seal is pretty fresh, but there's not a lot slopped on my bike. Fortunately it didn't rain or that would have been slippery. The BMW 1000rr was with me. Nice bike!

HOTCARCASS
Tue Aug 28th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Fun road a couple chicane style sections that are among my favorite turns. You never know where the sand and cow poo is going to be. But usually its in the really tight sections. Alot of elevation change which makes it cool. The lower half of the poudre is in great shape and turns to poo around the stove turn off. Devils gulch is similar in every way.

frank2
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
The road into GlenHaven would really get you excited.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 09:21 AM
Fun road a couple chicane style sections that are among my favorite turns. You never know where the sand and cow poo is going to be. But usually its in the really tight sections. Alot of elevation change which makes it cool. The lower half of the poudre is in great shape and turns to poo around the stove turn off. Devils gulch is similar in every way.

Don't forget the cattle guards at the apex of several turns. I found this Interceptor one day that must have overcooked it into a cattle guard and off the road:

http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/007-VFditch.jpg
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/010-VFditch.jpg
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac47/tinkerinWstuff/Misc/004-VFditch.jpg

HOTCARCASS
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 01:17 PM
No fast way through those turns.

Matrix
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
This road is still F'd up!! Their is fresh oil down about five miles from Masonville. We turned around after 40 or so yards and it still made a mess of our bikes. :x