PDA

View Full Version : Battery replaced under warranty? Let me re-sell you your old battery as "used!"

Clovis
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 07:19 PM
The other day I was dropping off some used oil at the local Advanced Auto Parts and noticed this battery guide posted directly above the oil recycling bin.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/jdharward/DCC3E26C-E1CE-443B-9ECB-085296B24F04-10329-0000193BD5D9F310.jpg

Look closer, to the left...

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/jdharward/0AE68AB4-024A-485A-8756-4BBA3DB9DEEC-10329-0000193BDAF44C50.jpg

So a customer brings in his battery, they check it and test it out and if it's good they give it back. But if the customer says "Ohhh no, I want a NEW battery!"

Remove lbaels-front, top, date code. Clean with glass cleaner & rag. Polished post and/or side terminals. > Sell as "used" 100% Gross Profit.

:wtf::wtf:

Does this seem odd? So you bring your battery in for a warranty replacement, they say it's good but you insist on it and the guy says "Hang on, I think I might have a "used" one in the back I call sell you... I'll be right back!"

Seems a little odd unless I'm missing something with this business practice?

sag
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM
they will give you a new battery under warranty even if your old one is fine? it doesnt look to me like they would give you a used battery as a replacement. just instead of shipping out good testing batteries with the garbage cores they clean them up a little and offer them used. seems like a good idea to me as some people are broke as a joke and dont care if they have a reliable vehicle. i worked at autozone for a while and we had something like this but managers insisted we just core palleted every used battery regardless of condition. seems wasteful.

TurboGizzmo
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Buy cell phone.....cell phone battery gets crappy (or sticky key or <insert issue here>) --> customer sends in phone ----> phone tested ok but customer is picky ----> replace customers phone with 100% refurb goodness ----> profit!

longrider
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 09:38 PM
The only person getting 'burned' by that is the battery supplier. The first customer gets a new battery under warranty so he is happy, the store gets it covered under warranty so they are out nothing, the sale makes a buyer happy who saved money buying a used battery and the store made 100% profit. Goodwill warranties are just an expense of doing business that most manufacturers realize happen

asp_125
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Refurb'd laptops, cameras, phones and other electronics at significant discount under retail? Yeah, I can see that happening for batteries.

Chaos
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 11:04 PM
I'm sure you would be amazed at how many people KNOW they have a "bad" battery in their vehicle, when it's most likely a bad connection/ground/alt. etc.. and demand a new battery because they know best. When in actuality it's another issue.
Sorry, most people think a car battery is exactly the same as the ones in your flash light, lights dim?? must be the battery...not the dimwit behind the wheel.

Ghosty
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
The only person getting 'burned' by that is the battery supplier. The first customer gets a new battery under warranty so he is happy, the store gets it covered under warranty so they are out nothing, the sale makes a buyer happy who saved money buying a used battery and the store made 100% profit. Goodwill warranties are just an expense of doing business that most manufacturers realize happen
+1, policy seems reasonable to me, as long as they don't try to re-sell it as "new". Buyer beware, no biggie.

modette99
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 03:33 PM
they will give you a new battery under warranty even if your old one is fine? it doesnt look to me like they would give you a used battery as a replacement. just instead of shipping out good testing batteries with the garbage cores they clean them up a little and offer them used. seems like a good idea to me as some people are broke as a joke and dont care if they have a reliable vehicle. i worked at autozone for a while and we had something like this but managers insisted we just core palleted every used battery regardless of condition. seems wasteful.

LOL My friend bought an Optima, went to Autozone there on Evans in Denver. First one was not holding a charge. He went back they tested and said it was fine he demanded a new battery and they gave him one...lady helping him turned and told the other employee to clean it up and put it on the shelf. That took care of his issues so it was indeed a bad battery now on the shelf again.

Heck I been told my battery was good with their test. So I went to Ford anyways because I had starting issues and bought a new one $120 and that solved the issue....clearly their testing method sucks.

I've heard others have problems too..

modette99
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 03:35 PM

Also saves the store the hazardous waste pickup fee/charge on the USED battery.