PDA

View Full Version : Loud Pipes

kawasakirob
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 08:07 PM
I know... This has been talked and been debated on here before...so what.

I was driving home from school today with the windows down. My A/C is not the best so I generally have the windows down. I also check the rear view often to see what/who is behind me. This particular time I saw a cruiser. I don't mind cruisers, so I tried guessing what kind it was before it passed me( it's a fun game if your in a car). As it got closer, I notcied a guy in a blue t shirt and black half helmet. He accelerated as he went by and MY GOD! Those loud ass pipes made my head twitch and my jaw tightened up. UN GODLY loud. WTF!? I absolutely love motorcycles, but after hearing that, I even thought about supporting the banning of aftermarket exhausts. I can only imagine how people who don't ride, or don't like motorcycles feel. It was painfully loud, like standing on the grid at an NHRA event with no ear protection. I guess he was cool though...

Wrider
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
I know... This has been talked and been debated on here before...so what.

I was driving home from school today with the windows down. My A/C is not the best so I generally have the windows down. I also check the rear view often to see what/who is behind me. This particular time I saw a cruiser. I don't mind cruisers, so I tried guessing what kind it was before it passed me( it's a fun game if your in a car). As it got closer, I notcied a guy in a blue t shirt and black half helmet. He accelerated as he went by and MY GOD! Those loud ass pipes maid my head twitch and my jaw tightened up. UN GODLY loud. WTF!? I absolutely love motorcycles, but after hearing that, I even thought about supporting the banning of aftermarket exhausts. I can only imagine how people who don't ride, or don't like motorcycles feel. It was painfully loud, like standing on the grid at an NHRA event with no ear protection. I guess he was cool though...

I know exactly how you feel. My ears are physically sensitive to very loud noises because of a slew of ear infections as a kid. (You know how someone with a lot of ear infections gets a set of tubes to help relieve it? I had 7 sets.)

madvlad
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 10:37 PM
Cruisers are ridiculous loud being straight piped, sportbikes only get loud with GP style pipes. Having noise is a bit of a plus with other cagers around you but too much of it can definitely do some damage

asp_125
Wed Aug 29th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Before I replaced the gutted can on the VFR, it was essentially a straight pipe. Good god it was loud! Like NASCAR loud. People would roll up their windows to talk on their cell phones, or change lanes to get away. In some respects the replacement can is much easier to live with.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 04:46 AM
Here's what I'll never understand about the "Loud pipes save lives" group: no one actually hears your damn pipes until you are ALREADY PAST THEM. It's like the concept of how sound travels is completely lost on these folks.

Loud pipes make being a motorcyclist harder than it has to be.

sprtbkbabe
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 08:14 AM
You won't want to ride behind me then. I downloaded DB Meter Pro and the RSVR's re-cored pipes are cranking out 98 db

I love them pipes! They have saved me many a time from phone gabbing cagers :grab:

Will the Thrill
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
I agree cagers may not hear you from the back, but they can at least hear you when you are in their blind spot or side by side. Makes them actually check their blind spot. Makes them a little more aware.

salsashark
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 08:40 AM
I had M4 Retro drag pipes on my ZX-14. That bike would put any loud-pied cruiser to shame.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I5W07X-VgkU/SLbwCscWtEI/AAAAAAAAAys/tVXd0t5hL1Y/s632/mtevans1a.jpg

never again!

JonnyD
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 09:59 AM
Here's what I'll never understand about the "Loud pipes save lives" group: no one actually hears your damn pipes until you are ALREADY PAST THEM. It's like the concept of how sound travels is completely lost on these folks.

Loud pipes make being a motorcyclist harder than it has to be.

I agree, and if it weren't for wildlife running like they were going to die 100 yards ahead of me I would have changed the RC's pipes back to stock! Good thing deer don't cage it.

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:17 AM

Please explain. My understanding of physics seems to be at odds with yours.

kawasakirob
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=sprtbkbabe;695431]You won't want to ride behind me then[/]

I rode once with an R1 equipped with a BozBros tiny slash cut pipe. I felt like a tool riding with someone who's pipe was that loud. Especially in towns from light to light. They loved it...Just not for me. Good rider though.

I"ll work on posting something up about loud pipes vs. safety like Darth mentioned. I know it's out there I've read it also before

kawasakirob
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:43 AM
When that guy passed me I only started to hear him once he was almost past my blind spot going about 65. True, you could argue that's safety....but who in their right mind would stay in a blind spot for more than just a split second? Even in heavy traffic?

Spiderman
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 12:43 PM
:horse:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_w2cOsPw-lJ4/Sqvv15JX19I/AAAAAAAADIA/ca-T_VhSHx0/s400/T-Shirt+1+Back+PJ.jpg

Bueller
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 01:49 PM
I like my pipes!
My race bike is my quiet bike now. :lol:

Penadam
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 01:53 PM

He obviously is just driving 750 mph.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:04 PM

Not sure why it's hard to understand. An object that is moving forward that is producing sound that is being directed BEHIND said object that is traveling at any type of speed over 40mph (a guesstimation, I don't have empirical data on this point) is traveling IN FRONT OF said sound. Ergo, said sound will not be heard until the source of said sound (in this case the exhaust can) is nearly parallel with the listener. Hence, the stupid cager on her cell phone still isn't going to know you're anywhere near her until you're RIGHT THERE.

I've had this happen to me time and time again, in both the cage and the bike. Some HD jackass with pipes screaming at a sonicly-smooth 130db will creep up on me only to pass me...and then proceed to deafen me for the next 3 miles as he rides on ahead. So yeah, he's so amazingly safe with anyone that can actually hear him already BEHIND HIM.

I've had cagers "notice" me at the last second as well, and it wasn't because I had loud pipes. So attributing this reaction to some "loud pipes saved my life on more than one occasion" credo is hardly scientifically concrete evidence that they need to annoy the ever-living piss out of everyone else on the road.

Zach929rr
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:14 PM
Aw shit somebody dropped the ergo bomb.

http://i.qkme.me/36030q.jpg

birchyboy
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:19 PM
Not sure why it's hard to understand. An object that is moving forward that is producing sound that is being directed BEHIND said object that is traveling at any type of speed over 40mph (a guesstimation, I don't have empirical data on this point) is traveling IN FRONT OF said sound. Ergo, said sound will not be heard until the source of said sound (in this case the exhaust can) is nearly parallel with the listener. Hence, the stupid cager on her cell phone still isn't going to know you're anywhere near her until you're RIGHT THERE.

Are you saying that if I'm on a street and a motorcycle is down the street coming towards me I won't here the exhaust regardless of how loud it is until it's beside me? If so, my ears have been playing tricks on me my whole life, I could swear that I've heard this happen before.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:21 PM
Oh brother...

Someone fix this quick.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:26 PM
Not sure why it's hard to understand.

Because your theory is amusing to people that have passed physics.

Spiderman
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Edit: Disclaimer - I'm not a physics expert!

Are you saying that if I'm on a street and a motorcycle is down the street coming towards me I won't here the exhaust regardless of how loud it is until it's beside me? If so, my ears have been playing tricks on me my whole life, I could swear that I've heard this happen before.

It depends on what's behind the motorcycle down the street. If there's something (ie: houses/buildings/parked cars) for the exhaust noise to bounce off of, then yes, you will hear it, but if you're on the open highway, and there's nothing for the noise to bounce off of, then no, you won't really hear it... at least nowhere near as loud as you will once they pass you.

dapper
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:32 PM
Simple

Darth travels at the speed of sound. :wait:

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:33 PM

My statement assumed both the listener and noise-maker are in motion. If you're standing still down the street on a nice little quiet spring day, then yes, you'll certainly hear the cacophony. And for what? You gonna stay put even though you can't yet see the noise-maker? No, you're gonna proceed when you feel it's safe regardless of what you hear--that's assuming you're not enjoying the AC with the windows up and the radio playing lightly in your very well sound-insulated passenger cabin, thereby preventing you from hearing anything at all...until the noise-maker is right there anyhow.

Look, I'm not trying to start any shit. I just find the mentality to be exceptionally flawed, and ultimately detrimental to society's overall perception of motorcycles without any true empirical data stating that the noise is necessary and beneficial to a rider's safety.

birchyboy
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:34 PM

It depends on what's behind the motorcycle down the street. If there's something (ie: houses/buildings/parked cars) for the exhaust noise to bounce off of, then yes, you will hear it, but if you're on the open highway, and there's nothing for the noise to bounce off of, then no, you won't really hear it... at least nowhere near as loud as you will once they pass you.

So if a motorcycle is running in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does is still make sound?????

Spiderman
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:37 PM
So if a motorcycle is running in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does is still make sound?????

That depends, is it a stock exhaust, slip-on, or full-system? And what RPM is the engine at? idle or WOT?

:p

birchyboy
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 02:38 PM
That depends, is it a stock exhaust, slip-on, or full-system?

Oh sorry, it's an electric bike :eyebrows:

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 03:40 PM
I'm putting baseball cards in my spokes when the day comes that I am forced to ride an electric bike.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 03:58 PM
But with an electric bike you could hook some speakers and a small music player and then play whatever exhaust note you wanted to at whatever volume your heart desires. What's cooler than customizable exhaust sounds?!? You could download 'em like ringtones. =P

birchyboy
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 04:02 PM
But with an electric bike you could hook some speakers and a small music player and then play whatever exhaust note you wanted to at whatever volume your heart desires. What's cooler than customizable exhaust sounds?!? You could download 'em like ringtones. =P

Did you ever see the movie The Dilemma with Kevin James? Their company tried to market that to Detroit.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Did you ever see the movie The Dilemma with Kevin James? Their company tried to market that to Detroit.

LOL...never heard of the movie. Someone beat me to the stupid idea. Figures. =P

The GECCO
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 04:55 PM

No, it doesn't. It may vibrate the air, but those vibrations don't become sound until they stimulate an ear drum and are interpreted by a brain.

No eardrum, no sound.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it :hibye:

kawasakirob
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 05:23 PM
http://virginiawind.com/byways/loud_pipes_save_lives.asp

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 09:05 PM
^^
Exactly. Though in all fairness of what's been said, there was yet again a lack of empirical data. One would need to measure db readings in front and behind the bike at a stand still at varying distances, then again with the bike in motion. This would scientifically prove what both I and the author of the article stated: the supposed "safety noise" is being emitted directly in the opposite direction of the much more likely dangers, thereby rendering such an argument invalid.

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 09:27 PM
Not sure why it's hard to understand.

Probably because I spent a few years getting degrees in physics.

An object that is moving forward that is producing sound that is being directed BEHIND said object that is traveling at any type of speed over 40mph (a guesstimation, I don't have empirical data on this point) is traveling IN FRONT OF said sound. Ergo, said sound will not be heard until the source of said sound (in this case the exhaust can) is nearly parallel with the listener.

Your basic premise is correct on not hearing the sound from a moving object, but the speed required to do what you're saying is the speed of sound. Sound expands in a spherical pattern, so you will hear the bike from the front. There is a funneling effect due to the pipes that will make it louder from behind, but to say that you will not hear the bike at all from the front is wrong. The louder the sound coming out of the pipes, the louder it will sound from any direction, including from the front.

Now, I'm not arguing that we should be running open pipes. There are many good reasons for not doing so. But arguing that you don't hear a moving bike from the front is not a good reason. It is flat wrong.

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not arguing that you absolutely will not hear any sound at all from the front. What I'm arguing is the effectiveness of that lower amount of sound in regards to safety and actual road conditions.

dirkterrell
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:11 PM
I'm not arguing that you absolutely will not hear any sound at all from the front.

That's not what you said:

Not sure why it's hard to understand. An object that is moving forward that is producing sound that is being directed BEHIND said object that is traveling at any type of speed over 40mph (a guesstimation, I don't have empirical data on this point) is traveling IN FRONT OF said sound. Ergo, said sound will not be heard until the source of said sound (in this case the exhaust can) is nearly parallel with the listener.

and

no one actually hears your damn pipes until you are ALREADY PAST THEM.

That's why I responded. As I said, I don't think ultra loud pipes are a good idea for other reasons, but the statements above are not correct and therefore are a poor response to the argument that we should have loud pipes.

FZRguy
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:28 PM
I want one of these: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php

Darth Do'Urden
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:33 PM
Since the generalization was not acceptable, let me clarify....

Sitting all snug as a bug in a rug in your car or truck with the windows up (as the vast majority of people are wont to do, even in the nice spring and fall days) and the AC blasting and the radio playing (even at a moderate volume) while you cruise happily down the road (or even stopped at an intersection), the sound of an obnoxious noise maker is not going to be heard to any appreciable level as to justify the mentality and practice of LPSL.

People put loud pipes on their bike because THEY like the way it sounds, and the rest of humanity be damned, all under the guise of trying to be "safe". It's a bullshit argument to justify one's selfishness at the sake of all other riders and the public perception. Yeah, bikers are awesome. Thanks for that.

I want one of these: http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php

I wouldn't mind having one, but not for what they charge, also keeping in mind that one needs to have an extra battery if one plans on playing for longer than an hour or so. Even then, the recharge time is longer than the useable time, so after the second battery your first one still isn't fully charged, so your time is further reduced, and so on and so on with each session. In my opinion, the tech is still too expensive to warrant getting one.

FZRguy
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:58 PM
There's no extra battery on a Zero S. The current motor is designed to last 205,000 miles on the less powerful ZF6 (ZF9 will run 308,000 miles). Range is up to 76 and 114 miles respectively. Charge time can be cut to less than 2 hours on the ZF6 with the accessory charger (standard charge time is 6 hours). Suspension is fully adjustable with inverted front fork and direct link shock. Brakes have been updated to moto spec with the 2012 model. Aluminum frame and swingarm, 17" cast wheels, no maint belt final drive, 297 lbs. for the ZF6. Retail is $11,495 and you can expect around $5,000 in federal and state tax credits. Obviously not for touring with the limited range, but I want one for around town and to ride the local canyons in a stealth like manner.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 12:33 AM
Sorry, didn't notice you specifically linked to the S. The dirt bike models don't have quite that longevity, so having an extra battery around to swap out would be desirable for a couple hours of play.

And I wasn't aware of the $5000 kickback, though that's not immediate, but rather the next year when you file taxes. Still, it does eventually take out some of the sting of spending the equivalent of a Ducati Monster 1100 EVO on an electric bike. I still think the tech is too expensive to be worth it right now.

And I found your comment about riding stealthily in this thread to be hilarious. =)

Ghost
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 11:17 AM
Fwiw, this is the first bike where I've kept the stock exhaust on.

Mostly it was because I wanted to find a GP-style or and under-bike exhaust to get rid of the underseat exhaust on the 600RR. Of course, those aren't easy to find since most manufacturers just make an underseat for the RR and call it good. I debated custom-fabricating something, but that seemed like a PITA.

But, I have to say that I've slowly decided that don't really miss a loud exhaust.

I can roll through small, quiet mountain towns without everyone giving me the stink eye. I can run up canyons without the cops hearing me the entire way up, and I can sneak into my neighborhood after riding all day without annoying the neighbors--one of whom has a bike with a loud exhaust, and while I don't personally care, I can definitely see how others would find it annoying that you can't hear the tv or radio or whatever within your house until it passes.

Has my lack of loud pipes endangered me? Not any more than normal. It's not that people cannot hear you that's the issue, it's that they cannot SEE you even IF they look for you.

Someone sitting in a car might (or might not) hear a "strange noise", or a "loud noise" but that doesn't help them notice YOU. I was a passenger in a car when a loud V-twin bike came up on us and the driver leaned forward and looked UP to see where the helicopter/plane was...

Riding my old Micron-piped (full system) bike never made anyone NOT cut me off, NOT move over into my lane, or NOT do any of the stupid fucking shit drivers do that nearly killed me every time they did it. I've seen no real change in driver behavior with my new bike and its stock exhaust. I DO notice that my High Beam seems to be more effective than my Low, as turning the HB on seems to keep more people over in their lane when I'm approaching--but the exhaust? Doesn't seem to matter at all.

I still find HD straight pipes to be the most ear-splittingly obnoxious, but I don't think loud sport bikes really do much other than sound cool to the rider and, probably, piss everyone else off.

If driver's aren't able to SEE you then it doesn't matter if they can hear you or not, and even if they hear the noise, it doesn't seem to make them any more aware of your presence until you're right next to them--and then it's too late anyway.

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
I DO notice that my High Beam seems to be more effective than my Low, as turning the HB on seems to keep more people over in their lane when I'm approaching--

I've noticed this as well with the highbeams (during the day only, of course). With my Speed Triple (RIP), it had a Flash To Pass button that would use to flicker my lights to oncoming traffic when I approached an intersection with left-turners. While not an everyday necessity or constant life saver, the flickering lights certainly helped keep a few people cognizant of my oncoming presence.

Zanatos
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 06:39 PM
I've heard rumors about CSC'ers and their loud "tail pipes."

http://www.ironhorsehelmets.com/product_images/p/645/If_I_Wanted_To_Hear_From_An_Asshole_Id_Fart_Helmet _Sticker__57592_zoom.jpg

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/41571_109310705764173_6805428_n.jpg

Stuart Little
Sun Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:30 PM

I believe some car companies are doing that because it's required by law (or will be soon) for electric cars to output a noise. How do they think deaf people work/exist? Then again I subscribe to this thought, knowledge is knowing a street is one way, wisdom is looking both ways anyways.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2012/04/09/audi-developing-fake-engine-noise-for-e-tron-electric-models/

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009-09/vroom-or-not-vroom

Wrider
Sun Sep 2nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
I believe some car companies are doing that because it's required by law (or will be soon) for electric cars to output a noise. How do they think deaf people work/exist?

It's got nothing to do with deaf people, it's got everything to do with blind people. It's kinda hard to notice a very very quiet vehicle as you cross the road when you can't see it coming. And you know how well car drivers pay attention to pedestrians and basically anyone else on the road...

stubbicatt
Sun Sep 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
The Hurt Report I believe put this theory to bed with respect to low frequency sound. Apparently the human ear can hear low frequencies, but cannot pinpoint them as it can with the higher frequencies.

Ferinstance, I can hear the obnoxious low rev, V twin, exhaust which has been modified while I am in traffic, but cannot pinpoint it very well.

The Darth experience is one I have had as well, although it is a volume rather than not audible issue. As the loud bikes are behind me, if I am traveling highway speed or the like, I can sense that they are there, but not until they get in front of me or are beside me in traffic does the full flavor of noxiousness enter my spectrum.

Ghost
Mon Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:47 AM
The Hurt Report I believe put this theory to bed with respect to low frequency sound. Apparently the human ear can hear low frequencies, but cannot pinpoint them as it can with the higher frequencies.

Ferinstance, I can hear the obnoxious low rev, V twin, exhaust which has been modified while I am in traffic, but cannot pinpoint it very well.

The Darth experience is one I have had as well, although it is a volume rather than not audible issue. As the loud bikes are behind me, if I am traveling highway speed or the like, I can sense that they are there, but not until they get in front of me or are beside me in traffic does the full flavor of noxiousness enter my spectrum.

It's also why you only need one subwoofer for your home theater--LFE is essentially omnidirectional.

stubbicatt
Mon Sep 3rd, 2012, 10:57 AM
It's also why you only need one subwoofer for your home theater--LFE is essentially omnidirectional.

Kind of brings an unasked question to mind: perhaps if the obnoxiosity of the low frequency exhaust were mandatorily re-modulated to higher frequency by the installation of old, VW, air cooled, bug "tweeter" exhausts, those guys on the Harleys would in fact be safer, as it would advertise their presence nearby, as would a pink jacket and a "Hello Kitty" basket on their handlebars.

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQI7cz4lw_7vvHGJyVVsQ6lHMb_dUr33 MVANADLwL58xLfHwt5B&t=1

... Just a thought.

I know that I for one would definitely notice this in traffic.

Zanatos
Thu Sep 27th, 2012, 07:13 PM
If you like a nice, loud, high-frequency exhaust note - just get you some whistle tips.

Whistle tips go whoo whoo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVJTJpfknSc&feature=fvwrel

biikChiQ
Thu Sep 27th, 2012, 08:01 PM
.. driving on the opposite lane.. crossing a double yellow and running a stop sign during a news interview. lol.

madvlad
Thu Sep 27th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Had to be an oakland raiders fan to be such an idiot.... Sweet God if it isnt idiocy that is eliminating mankind.... *shakes head*

UHATEIT
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 04:00 PM
I had M4 Retro drag pipes on my ZX-14. That bike would put any loud-pied cruiser to shame.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-I5W07X-VgkU/SLbwCscWtEI/AAAAAAAAAys/tVXd0t5hL1Y/s632/mtevans1a.jpg

never again!
:jawdrop:
I have heard great things about M4 exhausts and would love to have heard this one! I have a SV650 and the vtwin supposedly sounds insane with an M4 installed.

TransNone13
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 07:14 PM
I'm going to have to go with the Termi pipes on the 1199. I don't go revving in lots, but I have set car alarms off and the QS pop is LOUD. First bike I've owned that I have to wear ear pro or something while riding anywhere. I have also noticed that people roll their windows up, which is a new one for me. Not even on a full Akra EVO for my CBR did that happen. Nothing to brag about either, as they are routinely failing track static noise tests overseas and here.

Regardless of what you think, people do hear and even get out of my way faster than any ride I've had before., even compared to me in my truck Could be the LED lights, butI doubt it... It's nice when people get out of your way...

ezrider
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:36 PM
That's why I ride a Hodaka Super Rat. The sun reflects off the chrome gas tank so people can see me and get the heck out of the way. Of course with riding years with an expansion chamber with no silencer.I can't hear jack. I still don't know why folks roll up their windows when I pass them on I 25. Just saying.

TransNone13
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
I had to Google that, looks like a cool bike.

ezrider
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 08:54 PM
Yep. It was cool back in the day. :)

FZRguy
Tue Oct 2nd, 2012, 11:46 PM
Combat Wombat for me.

ezrider
Wed Oct 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Combat Wombat for me.

Now ya talking. 125 cc of pure joy :)

FZRguy
Sun Oct 7th, 2012, 09:26 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/mcqueenj/combatwombat.jpg

ezrider
Mon Oct 8th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Nice bike. Thanks for posting a picture. It brings back a lot of memories.

tecknojoe
Mon Oct 8th, 2012, 12:44 PM
I've got a full Akra system on the SDR. I hate how loud it is, and I always coast out of my neighborhood in neutral at odd hours.

but GOD DAMN it makes me tingle every time

ezrider
Mon Oct 8th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I was using a Danmoto slip on and that was damn loud. Switched over to a Yoshi full system that is not as loud. The Yoshi system sounds great with more low and mid range power. It came with a baffle that I have not installed. Also Yoshi recommends repacking the muffler every 5,000 which should help with the sound levels.

According to gravesport.com exhaust pulses tend to push the packing toward the exit of the silencer reducing performance and increases the harshness of the exhaust note. Of course they have developed a solution to that. I don't like that their exhaust system exits at just behind the front foot peg on the FZ1. Just thought that might too loud. Plus I like the yoshi system price and that the system exits behind the passenger foot peg.

frank2
Tue Oct 9th, 2012, 12:35 PM
I don't live in colorado, but isn't there a noise ordinance for motorcycles?

grim
Tue Oct 9th, 2012, 01:14 PM

I'm not an expert but I don't think there is a single state that doesn't have a noise ordinance on any vehicle, I am however sitting as snug as a bug in a rug! :lol:

Wrider
Tue Oct 9th, 2012, 01:20 PM

Technically only in Denver proper. That said a lot of places are probably pretty close to putting one in place if we're not careful. (Says the guy running a stock exhaust.)

ezrider
Tue Oct 9th, 2012, 01:23 PM
With all this discussion of loud pipes I decided to check the internet for a noise ordinance in Denver, CO. I found out that it is 82 decibels. Never considered that before.

ezrider
Tue Oct 9th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Nederland has posted on their city limits sign "noise ordinance enforced"

FZRguy
Tue Oct 9th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Golden was writing tickets last summer for loud bikes.

JonnyD
Wed Oct 10th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Did any sportbikes get targeted by the loud bike ordinace in Golden? Wasn't that just for all the Harleys cruising around the Buffalo Rose?

While I agree with the "loud pipes risk rights" bit, there's nothing like the sound of loud pipes in those lower canyons!

Aaron
Wed Oct 10th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Technically only in Denver proper. That said a lot of places are probably pretty close to putting one in place if we're not careful. (Says the guy running a stock exhaust.)

I can all but guarantee every municipality has a noise ordinance. Pueblo has several that cover loud bikes. Doesn't really matter though, as there are also state laws making modified exhaust systems illegal.

Wrider
Wed Oct 10th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I can all but guarantee every municipality has a noise ordinance. Pueblo has several that cover loud bikes. Doesn't really matter though, as there are also state laws making modified exhaust systems illegal.

I guess what I meant is that Denver is the only one that requires a DOT approved stock system.

FZRguy
Wed Oct 10th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Yup, mainly the open pipe cruiser riders in Golden, and that "hear you a mile away" in the canyon is not such a good thing IMO.

Vance
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 08:06 AM
I remember there being some talk when the Denver law was being discussed on here many moons ago, and the fact that those occasions after the law passed that seem to have Denver PD pulling over sport bikes more than Hardleys... (and someone theorizing producing DOT plates to slap onto pipes or something like that)...

Since then has anyone heard of someone actually being pulled over for pipes in the City and County of Stupidity lately? Or the People's Republic? Or anywhere that seemed to notice the sport bikes over the Hardley's straight pipe ridiculousness?

kawasakirob
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 12:49 PM
IMO people SHOULD start getting pulled over more and more for abnormally loud exhausts. A nice aftermarket that gets a little loud when the revs are upped is one thing( and your haulin ass) but some cheap straight pipe... Wether on a sportbike, or a cruiser, needs to be taken care of. Ultimately, there's not much it seems anyone can do unless the manufacturers stop making such inexpensive alternatives to a nice exhaust. There cheap, and that's what makes them appealing to people.

UHATEIT
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I went with a Delkevic shorty for my SV650 because I heard good things about the sounds they give to the Vtwin, and it does sound a tad loud but gorgeous as well IMO. I haven't been next to a cop yet to see if they'll give me extra special attention or not

Will the Thrill
Thu Oct 11th, 2012, 05:01 PM
Delkevic shorty on the sv is awesome! Nice choice! I might have to get a delkevic for the TL!!!

UHATEIT
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Delkevic shorty on the sv is awesome! Nice choice! I might have to get a delkevic for the TL!!!

Its pretty beastly! The bike actually came with a Yoshimura oval can on it, which I will admit did sound very nice as well, but was quieter and I didnt like the long lengthy chrome can and preferred something shorter. The Delkevic is unbaffled and doesn't have an option for a baffle on the version I got and its pretty loud. Earplugs needed for me on longer rides as it becomes pretty droney at certain rpm

Will the Thrill
Fri Oct 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
I had the same one on my sv650! Loved it!

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 02:36 PM
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/mcqueenj/combatwombat.jpg

Nice bike. Do you race it?

FZRguy
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 02:41 PM
No, web pic. I did race the very first model YZ125 ('71 I think) back in the day. The six speed Elsinore came out a few months later and blew us all away.

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 03:00 PM
That's cool. The old YZ's not a bad looking bike either. Do you know anywhere close where the vintage dirt guys race? That'd be great to see

FZRguy
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 03:08 PM
Berthoud has had some vintage races in the past. http://www.vdrmx.com/

I would like to race vintage MX at VMD in Ohio some day.

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 13th, 2012, 03:24 PM
I was just looking at the AHRMA website and they had an event in Athens Ohio. Is that the race your talking about?

http://dev.ahrma.org/?page_id=2108

FZRguy
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 01:42 AM
No, AMA Vintage Moto Days held every July at Mid-Ohio.

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/events/amavintagemotorcycledays

kawasakirob
Sun Oct 14th, 2012, 02:18 AM
Dang that looks like a huge event. That would be a good effin time looks like. I've heard Mid Ohio is a sweet track. My uncle I believe has been to that event a few times now that I think about it. He does restorations for people and is a racer himself. His home track is Grattan up in Michigan.