PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Whiskey

675Rider
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
I am trying to get a rare TN whiskey sent to me here in CO. I am wondering if it is legal for my father to mail it to me. Anyone ever dealt with this before?

grim
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Pm incoming

Sparker
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Ive bought several rare bottles and had them shipped to me. I dont know what the shipper has to do, but it happens and dont think its illegal.

grim
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Ive bought several rare bottles and had them shipped to me. I dont know what the shipper has to do, but it happens and dont think its illegal.

It's not.

tecknojoe
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM
It's not illegal to have it shipped from a retailer that is licensed to do so. You can order online. BUT It is not legal for you to ship it yourself. I've heard of people just doing it but I don't know the chances of the package getting yanked along the way.

I looked into this a couple months ago when I was in VA and wanted to ship some rare beer home

Ghosty
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 02:19 PM
I've had wine shipped to my house one time from Houston. I wanted some hard to get stuff from Maynard's vinyard (lead singer of Tool). All they wanted was you to agree that you were legally 21, and a credit card, all online.

I'd just pack it properly, find one of those wine-shipping styro packs, and don't label the outside with anything suspicious. Should be fine.

I am trying to get a rare TN whiskey sent to me...
What whiskey? I love good Bourbon. This Summer I acquired two bottles of Stranahan's yearly limited Snowflake batch, "Maroon Bells".

modette99
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
So what's the Whiskey as my parents live in TN.

Yeah your not suppose to mail fuel in a gas tank either but a tank my friend bought (Canadian) had it mailed to my house and the seller he bought it from just packaged it up with fuel still in it. UPS made me drive to Detroit and pick it up.

birchyboy
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM
FedEx says they do it. You have to specify alcohol and adult signature.

http://www.fedex.com/us/international/wine-shipping/resources/tools-resources.html

UPS requires you to be a contracted seller and they reserve the right to confiscate the goods if they find out what it is. Generally USPS won't ship liquids unless you lie.

modette99
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 03:38 PM
FedEx says they do it. You have to specify alcohol and adult signature.

http://www.fedex.com/us/international/wine-shipping/resources/tools-resources.html

UPS requires you to be a contracted seller and they reserve the right to confiscate the goods if they find out what it is. Generally USPS won't ship liquids unless you lie.

So true and so many times I had to LIE....LOL Just make sure its packaged very well, and don't claim its books and you are okay.

CO_Vol
Thu Aug 30th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Does the top of the jar say "Recipe by Popcorn"?

Ghosty
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 01:17 AM
Does the top of the jar say "Recipe by Popcorn"?
Lol, Tennessee whiskey, not Bayou moonshine.

675Rider
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the tips everyone. The whiskey is Collier and Mckeels. They have a webstite you can check out. It is a Tennessee whiskey, using the Lincoln process, much like Jack Daniels. The flavor is similar but the C&M has a smokier flavor and is much smoother. Almost like a cross between a good scotch and JD. The problem is they are just getting started, and are only available in middle TN, and some parts of East TN. Definitely worth checking out though.

salsashark
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 11:03 AM
sounds good...

Ghosty
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 11:21 AM
Good heads up, sounds interesting. I'm mainly a Bourbon guy, don't like peaty/smoky Scotch. I know, sacrilege. My Dad has several 12 & 18yr old crazy Scotches, I never even touch it, lol. I've been to Lynchburg and taken' the JD tour, pretty amazing, highly recommended to anyone passing through.

Is the Lincoln process the "Charcoal mellowing process", or something else?

brennahm
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 11:23 AM
Ghosty (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=lincoln+process)

modette99
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 04:03 PM
Good heads up, sounds interesting. I'm mainly a Bourbon guy, don't like peaty/smoky Scotch. I know, sacrilege. My Dad has several 12 & 18yr old crazy Scotches, I never even touch it, lol. I've been to Lynchburg and taken' the JD tour, pretty amazing, highly recommended to anyone passing through.

Is the Lincoln process the "Charcoal mellowing process", or something else?

I hope you took the tour before it went ape shit huge. So much nicer back then early 90's I probably done the tour 10 times or so....went to do it later on with the new tourist area and I walked out...the lady was just too rude.

My parents had a place on Tims Ford Lake which they sold to build a home on their 135 acres near Frankewing, TN (which is west of fayetteville, TN).

The JD beer was pretty good when they had that going.

Ghosty
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 05:19 PM
I went in the early or mid-90's I think at the latest. Don't remember, but I do remember the tour guide had that THICK Tennessee accent which I loved, super friendly southern girl. And I remember her pointing out the various warehouses on different hills far off in the distance to do all the 5year aging. Some ridiculous number of warehouses. This was a stop on the way to a hiking/camping adventure in the GreatSmokies/BlueRidge.

modette99
Fri Aug 31st, 2012, 09:25 PM
I went in the early or mid-90's I think at the latest. Don't remember, but I do remember the tour guide had that THICK Tennessee accent which I loved, super friendly southern girl. And I remember her pointing out the various warehouses on different hills far off in the distance to do all the 5year aging. Some ridiculous number of warehouses. This was a stop on the way to a hiking/camping adventure in the GreatSmokies/BlueRidge.

Best part is the cave with the fresh water, also the story of how JD stubbed his toe into the safe and then died...LOL Yeah sounds like you went when it was real fun...its huge now tour buses pull up...a little ridiculous.

However I will say the Motlow's give a lot back to the county.

Here it is now:
http://www.lynchburgtenn.com/jack-daniels-tour-end.jpg

http://www.lynchburgtenn.com/jack-daniels-distillery.jpg

http://www.lynchburgtenn.com/jack-daniels-welcome-center.jpg

The safe:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2434/3607048184_a8aee316ab.jpg

Ghosty
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 09:44 AM
Yep, I think I went when it was much more intimate and not a big production, thankfully! I even remember her telling the story of how the workers called certain Fridays "Good Friday", because they all get a free fifth or something. Guess it's kinda like with the giant Coors brewery in Golden vs. Anheuser Busch in Ft.Collins. Everyone says to go to the Budweiser, much better tour. Never done either one...

As for Collier & McKeel's, charcoal mellowing combined with Peaty Scotch-ish notes. Sounds worth trying sometime.

bluedogok
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 10:52 AM
I guess the tours have changed over the years, we did the Coors tour in the early 90's when we were up here visiting Snowman. My wife and I went through it earlier this year since she had never been to it and it was completely different. We are definitely more interested in going through the smaller brewery/distillery tours as the majors seem to have become more "processed".

Matrix
Sat Sep 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ran into the owner of the new distilary in Lyones (previously the cycle shop next to Diamond Shamrock), and their unoffical opening day is Oct. 4th. Always nice to have stuff like that local.

Ghosty
Sun Sep 2nd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Ran into the owner of the new distilary in Lyones.
What distillery?