PDA

View Full Version : Opinions On 2001-era Ducati Monster 900

Darth Do'Urden
Mon Sep 3rd, 2012, 11:54 PM
So aside from the 6k mile desmo valve checks and 12k mile (or so) timing belts replacements (which I'd be doing myself, valves and belts), what would be any cons to owning and maintaining an '01 Duc Monster 900?

Insurance isn't stupid for me. Even with recent history (2 accidents) and a couple of tickets still on my record, insurance rang in at $574/yr, and it's only that high because of the $25k of medical coverage I'm opting for.

MPGs seem to report in pretty well for it...mid 40s or so, which is about what I was getting on the Speed Triple. Sure, it's less hp than the S3, but whatever--it won't cost me any more in gas.

I've done my reading on the valve checks and belt replacements--neither seem overly difficult, just need a specialty tool or two (like a way to measure the Hz frequency for belt tension adjustment) for the belts and some TIME for the valves.

So any cons that I'm not aware of at this point?

nicklk
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 07:39 AM
You been eyeing that matte black one on Craigslist?

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Yurp. He just had the valves checked and belts replaced as well as oil change and overall health check at Erico's. Checkin' her out this afternoon.

madvlad
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Anything that comes from Erico I wouldn't trust, find a real tech that knows what they're looking at to make sure the purchase is worth it.

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Anything that comes from Erico I wouldn't trust, find a real tech that knows what they're looking at to make sure the purchase is worth it.

Seriously? I mean, the valve check and belt replacement aren't hard. Sure, they charge $800 or so for it, but it's not difficult.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:14 AM
How well do you think a Ducati will fare in your next crash?

salsashark
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Actually, I trust Ossy. He knows his stuff and always took the time to answer any question I had as well as making sure my bike was dialed in for me. I can't speak for anyone else there, but Ossy's the man.

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:28 AM

You are frickin' HIIIIIIlarious.

That being said...about as well as the SV? =P

madvlad
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Well just cause is not difficult doesn't mean it won't be for whoever worked on it. Maybe it was a good tech, maybe it was a mediocre one but just saying you can't ever be too sure, mainly with Ducati.

nicklk
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Yurp. He just had the valves checked and belts replaced as well as oil change and overall health check at Erico's. Checkin' her out this afternoon.

I've been eyeing it too. Personally, I think the 28,000 miles scares me.

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM
I've been eyeing it too. Personally, I think the 28,000 miles scares me.

Nah. Miles rarely scare me on quality vehicles. I've got an Isuzu Trooper with 250,000 miles and an Outback with 230,000. My Speed Triple had 25,000 and the SV before that was at 22,000. If the Duc has 28k then it's obviously had basic maintenance attended to, as from what I understand if you DON'T attend to the basic needs then she WILL suffer badly for it, especially the timing belts.

Now if someone says (with legitimate sources) that the engine on a 2001 Duc Monster 900 almost always needs to be rebuilt at 40,000 miles, then I'm out on that mess. My brother is dealing with that likely eventuality on his Buell XB9, and that does not sound appealing.

But just let it scare you enough for me to ride (and likely buy) it today. =P

grim
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 09:52 AM

Whatta DICK!!!

asp_125
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Back to the OP's original question. The 2V air cooled demodue motor has been around forever and is pretty well proven. The 4V desmoquattro motor is a huge step up on complexity. Service costs on the 2V should not be any more expensive than your average 600. Maintenance items like filters and plugs etc are what you find with other makes. Parts otoh could get spendy. A starter motor, for example, is $400 from Italy, and god forbid you should need a new fuel tank ... $1K.

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry couldn't help it.

Darth Do'Urden
Tue Sep 4th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Well, someone bought it out from under me. I thought I'd have the advantage of seeing mid-day, but someone else didn't have a job to go to today either it would seem.

Oh well, must have not been the bike for me. The search continues.

Whatta DICK!!!

I know, right!

Sorry couldn't help it.

=P