PDA

View Full Version : Cat Licensing!!

modette99
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 01:51 PM
Okay I can somewhat understand about Dogs. But Cats!!! I guess some people let them outside (which I totally disagree with that unless you live out on property). Why would I get our cat a license? Its inside 100% of the time, no front claws even to defend itself to go out.

Oh and before you use the propaganda about it pays for them to re-unite them with you we already chipped all our animals the day we got them plus collars with tags...so what's the licensing do?

Seems like an added expense to give the city more money.

I'm unsure where I am at in Monument if I would, the Vets have never said a thing on the cats or dog. So no our dog does not have a city license....LOL

salsashark
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Seems like an added expense to give the city more money.

ding ding ding... winner!

Aurora has a dog licensing fee as well. I've never registered my dog, but I have a collar and current tags through my vet. She got out of the yard after the idiot crashed through my fence on the 4th of July. 15 minutes later, I got a call from my vet to come pick her up. Doesn't get any more efficient then that.

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 02:44 PM
I'm glad Arapahoe County doesn't have dog licensing. That's a fee I would feel obliged NOT to pay. My dogs don't go outside except to do their business in the back yard, and a very rare walk to the park on leashes.

Cats are even more ridiculous...unless they're allowed to be outside, as cats don't stick around the way dogs tend to. Stray cats all over the place would be a problem.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 02:48 PM
It's a license to opperate a dog/cat - not a tax

maktastik_jr.
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 03:27 PM
It's a license to opperate a dog/cat - not a tax
LMAO!

Sarge
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 05:06 PM
I can understand it to a point. You may be a responsible pet owner, etc, but part of the whole licensing process requires that you prove that the animal has all of the required vaccinations and the like so that if it ever does get out of the house, or something like a rabid squirrel gets IN to the house, it can be quickly verified whether or not your animal is a threat to the health and safety of the community.

In response to Tink's post, which was quite funny ;), by the way, he pretty much nailed it on the head. Just like with a driver license, all it shows is that you've verified to the state that you've had a check up (drivers testing) and don't have rabies (speeding tickets, suspended license, etc). The cost of the thing is simply to handle the processing and administration it takes to track those things.

Ghosty
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Never heard of licensing a cat, that's new? I just have my cats microchipped and registered with "HomeAgain", $17/yr., no biggie. They help recover your pet if they get lost and show up at a shelter. Keeps your latest address and contact info in a national database, so just extra insurance in case the minimum-wage shelter idiots can't figure out how to find you.

Penadam
Wed Sep 5th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Just wait till you need a fish license.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw.

modette99
Thu Sep 6th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Just wait till you need a fish license.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnq96W9jtuw.

and I don't even need to click that as I know all the Monty Python skits....LOL Yes, a classic one indeed...now good day sir

modette99
Thu Sep 6th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Okay I guess I can understand the "lets the officials know should your pet get loose that its had at least some of its shots". The website says you can pay for a 3 year license...so means you might of did the shots before you got the licence but you might not do them again in 3-4 more years.

Our cat is behind with its shots but as I said its an indoor cat. Heck its afraid to touch the grass when I have carried it outside and bolts straight for the sliding glass door to go back in. I guess I grew up knowing not to leave doors open. My Canadian friend visiting was a big offender of that (I was like dude shut the fucking door not just for the animal but for the AC that is on).

When we first moved in our dog jumped over our fence, still don't know how but it scared him shitless. He was at the front door cowering knowing he was not suppose to be out there....LOL He has never done it sense. But like I said he is chipped (although we have never paid the yearly fee they have our current address and it still works...shrug) He also has a collar which he can not get off and a tag.

All the animals growing up and i can only think of a cat that went missing but we were on vacation and cat did not know the house/area and my Grandmother hates cats so they had to stay in the garage. That was the only time....

To me it be like not watching my daughter and she crawls off...I mean seriously don't leave doors open people and your animal will not bolt off...or train it better. Our dog stays right with me int he garage when I work on the car or motorcycle. He will not leave the property and I watch him like a hawk...if I don't see him for a minute I call his name..and he comes.

Anyways I just thought it was funny cats are mandatory to have a license in Colorado Springs. I mean traditionally they are indoor pets. In fact if I had a neighbor that just let their cat outside and I found it on my property I would catch it and take it to the Human Society....keep your property on your property.

Ghosty
Thu Sep 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
I think it's stupid to let your cat out. Just takes one idiot speeding through your neighborhood, then splat. Not to mention stray dogs, foxes, skunks. and higher susceptibility to disease, infections from catfights, etc.

We're anal about closed doors, always raised that way. Not the least issue is keeping any insects out. Just one fly in my house drives me nuts, lol.

sag
Thu Sep 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
its unlawful in ft collins to even have an outdoor cat.

Sarge
Thu Sep 6th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Okay I guess I can understand the "lets the officials know should your pet get loose that its had at least some of its shots". The website says you can pay for a 3 year license...so means you might of did the shots before you got the licence but you might not do them again in 3-4 more years...

The same thing applies to dogs, even with the 2-3 year licenses. The thing is, once the animal reaches a certain age the shots aren't required yearly. Rabies shots with dogs start lasting 3-5 years once the dog gets about that age.