PDA

View Full Version : Utah 1088

Harry Biker
Tue Dec 10th, 2002, 01:11 PM
:lol: Here we may go again...........I'm thinking about doing this one.

Here's a little shorter ride that would be loads of fun, is close to home and you can get an up close view of THE BIG DOGS!!!!!

Check out www.utah1088.com

Dysco
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 02:40 AM
I'm signing up for this is if I can scrape the cash together in time to get a slot. Are you running in it, Harry?

Harry Biker
Fri Dec 20th, 2002, 09:20 AM
YES!!!!!
Although, like you I've yet to pay and they stop collecting the $$ after 75 people sign up :shock: If I had to I could pay it now, but would prefer to hold off for 2-4 weeks. Have you seen a list of entrants so we know when we're getting close to #75?

You want to run it together?
I know you're a solo guy, but this will be more fun running it as a duece-(also I will not slow you down) I've never done this type of rally, but have 7-1K days under my belt and feel I can run a 1K in 14 hrs.

Tell me again how far you can get on a tank of gas on yer GS. I'll be most likely on the FZ1 similar to your 919 and if I don't have a rally type bike by then will likely by an aux cell.

I just read one riders report who traveled 1620 miles!!!

Dysco
Sat Dec 21st, 2002, 08:30 AM
Dude. I'm the same way- would rather buy an electric vest instead of something in June but I'll probably send in my registration after the first. I've never done a rally either, but I'm pretty sure that I could ride for 26 straight if I needed to. 14 hours is pretty fast for 1000 on Utah highways and stuff, but I see where you're going. Also there are certain checkpoints you have to make and they don't open until certain times so I think it's better to pace yourself. I'm all about trying for the top 20 on this one and I don't think you'd slow me down- let's do it.

My tank range on the 650 is about 220 before I get nervous. I'm planning my new luggage rack around adding a fuel cell someday. Can you imagine a 450 mile range? That would rule. The 919 was geared so low I got about 150/tank at 85 mph.

You up for doing a quickie SS1000/BBG to the gulf in the next month or so? I ought to get one on the books and I don't know if they'll like me much for turning one in from June.

Harry Biker
Sat Dec 21st, 2002, 12:11 PM
:D Saweet!

So we ride!!. I'll send in the $ when you do, so let's keep in touch and try to pay the same time so we can both get in. The 1st is in 1 week-ish, the 15th works better for me, but I guess that's a gamble.

Assuming I'm on the FZ1 I currently hit reserve around the 190-200 range, but like I said I think I'll improve upon that and certainly if we're to be competative we'll want @ least a 300 mile range.

I'm 10 days post-op from a major shoulder surgery and can't currently scratch me arse, so my SS1k will need to wait until 4/11/03,(which you should join us-50CC crew on) HOWEVER....I know that Henry and Jeff,(Nick Ninja) will be doing a ss1K before 1/1/03!!!!!!!

Any chance you can get wired w/ a CB between now and the 1088??

Harry Biker

Dysco
Sun Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:54 PM
Harry-

Depending on whether or not my boss messed up my OT, I'll be sending in the cash next week. Considering that the registration opened up in October, we should pay ASAP. I'll keep you posted.

I have a grocery list of stuff to get by April, so I should have a CB by then. I was talking to the chatterbox guy and their CB setup seemed pretty good. A fuel cell requires hard bags which run about $900. I might also try going down a tooth or two in the rear. After that it's aux lights, GPS, and a tank bag. I want to win the powerball for Christmas.

Do you have a GPS? I guess everybody needs one for some of the bonus locations.

For the lurkers: http://www.utah1088.com/default.cfm

Harry Biker
Sun Dec 22nd, 2002, 07:15 PM
Hey Mike,

Went to the bike show today & saw your model bike. My wife liked your bike alot.
Me..I'm liking the Adventurer A LOT!!!!!!!!

Nothing like time & 1/2, except for maybe winning POWER BALL.

Currently I do not have a GPS. One is needed to find certain bonus's most likely.

I will definately run this rally with aux lighting and a GPS. The aux cell will be last on the list and if somehow I end up w/ the 7.9gallon GS Adventurer then it's no longer an issue.

What will be our travel dates from and returning to Denver?

Dysco
Sun Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:43 PM
Harry-

The Adventure is nice. The great thing about BMWs is some people buy them for their first bike and lose interest before they put any real miles on them. For instance, there is a 2001 (or 2002) F650GS at BMW of Denver with something like 75 miles on it selling for more than $2k less than what it cost new. If your wife wants one- the deals are crazy this time of year at all the beemer shops- this seems to be the time when lots of used stuff comes back. Same thing for all the other bikes. Definately not as fast as the FZ, but the cool factor is huge.

As for travel plans, I think that I would get there in the afternoon on the 26th and come home after a nap on the 29th. I think the awards thing started at one- it's somewhere in one of the writeups. the ~500 miles back to Denver shouldn't be that big of a deal and it saves the expense of another night at a hotel and missing another day of work. What do you think?

Harry Biker
Mon Dec 23rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
Hey Mike,

I need to get clarification as to actual start times of this rally. I know the pre-rally Bar-b-que is Thursday the 26th and the end or rally gathering is the 29th. If the rally starts on the 27th and I think it's only a 26 hour timed event?.........
My assumption is the rally starts early on the 28th. If that were true, I'll likely bypass the 26th all together and pull out of Denver early on the 27th.

As far as heading back to Denver on the 29th, I'd be hip to do that assuming I get enough sleep post rally,
(and I ain't talking the "Iron Butt Motel" either)

Did you buy from BMW Denver or Foothills?
Just curious as I think you got out of your Honda,...did you trade @ a dealership or sell it on your own?

Dysco
Mon Dec 23rd, 2002, 08:43 PM
Harry- good point about the dates. That seems strange to me too now that you mention it. I kind of want to rub elbows with the 'butters since I'm trying to volunteer on the IBR this year to make my odds better for 2005, but maybe it's not worth another hotel day.

I got rid of my last Honda (919) the hard way (broken leg) and decided that I wanted more of a touring/adventure bike. Got the GS at BMW of Denver.

Gotta go- my relatives are trying to "fix" my house...

Harry Biker
Tue Dec 24th, 2002, 09:07 AM
You're gonna try for the IBA rally in 2.5 yrs!!!! :o
Kick Arse!!

Nice to know I'll be riding with someone that has their competative juices flowing. I now believe a top 20 in the 1088 is very doable!

What if any other planned rides do you have on your ajenda to practice for THEE RALLY? Perhaps the Butt Lite?

Dysco
Tue Dec 24th, 2002, 02:52 PM
It all has to do with cash. The Butt Lite is a possibility but I figure any rally will cost a minimum of $100/day in gas, hotel, food, parts, and tires plus the entry fee. That's not including all the other jazz you need to get started like bags, GPS, fuel cell, etc. The 1088 is tempting because it's cheap and it's only 26 hours of riding. I figure in the next 2 summers I'll get everything nailed down and save enough cash for a shot at the title.

As far as competetiveness goes, I'm a bastard. My work hours are wierd so I'm always staying up 24+ hours- I figure it's good training. I've also ridden in the last two 24-hour mountain bike relay races at Winter Park (never too successfully though). I figure it's all about self-motivation- I'm good at that.

Once your wing is un-busted you have to go test ride the 1150GS. I've been meaning to do it since I bought my 650 but I haven't had the time. I made a point not to test ride anything there but the 650 before I bought one since I'm lacking in the self-control department. The BMW test ride policy is sweet- "Here's the key, try to be back in an hour."

Harry Biker
Thu Dec 26th, 2002, 08:16 PM
I can relate to the temptations BIG TIME @ the local Beemer shop. Last year I brought home a 1100RT with on 27K on the clock and the asking price was $8500. The wife said NO thus I'll have to most likely spend 18K now to get the Humvee model :lol:

Mike, I'd highly recommend you read Ron Ayers new book on long distance tips. I knew a lot prior to that read, but must say I came away very impressed and know certain areas I must improve on if I ever hope to compete,(such as mastering the use of a GPS etc.)

Can you ride this Saturday? I can't do anything too long being post-op, but did get on the Yammy today and it wasn't too bad. King Henry may want to go too.

Dysco
Thu Dec 26th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Can't make it Saturday- It's not going too good with the Bimmer. On Christmas I sprung a radiator leak during my annual cinnamon roll run. I noticed it while getting some fresh ground at our favorite Starbucks but still made another 30 miles figuring it was cold enough that I didn't need coolant. Ended up with a wet shoe and no bike for the next few days... they weren't specific. BMW of Denver REALLY needs a loaner program. I'm peeved. They did give me a ride home, which scored some serious customer service points.

Maybe next weekend- I'm heading up to Bailey on the 3rd to go to check out Clearview windshields around noon. Want to get together before that, maybe 9ish?

Thanks for the reco on the book- I'll check it out.

Harry Biker
Sun Dec 29th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Well, that sucks about your leaking coolant.

Clearview's a good choice. I had a touring shield from them on my old XX and may be looking to them for the FZ1 if Rifle does not work.

I do however have to work on the 3rd.
Perhaps next weekend? Saturday would be better assuming the Browns make the playoffs!

Dysco
Mon Dec 30th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Dude- I'm on the crack. I thought the 3rd was Saturday, I've been trying to figure out what next weekend meant if you had to work. (I usually have to work Fridays so I'm all confused)

The 4th (Saturday) works for me- how about meet at 11 for joe, takeoff @1130? Weather.com says 48F. Where is that good coffee place you were talking about?

The radiator was replaced, oil leak resolved, and they tell me it's not going to die when it's cold out anymore.

Harry Biker
Tue Dec 31st, 2002, 07:31 AM
Cool!! Let's ride Saturday.
I think you're in Aurora and the Diedrich's,(w/ the good coffee) is in Highlands Ranch. From C-470, exit University SOUTH. Travel approx. 1 1/4 miles, pass Highlands Ranch Pkwy,(which then turns into Colorado-so don't get confused) and Diedrich's coffee is in the same shopping center as Whole Foods grociery.

Check this site AM Saturday just in case............
Otherwise, I'll see you @ 11am for an 11:30 departure.

BTW, I picked up a dual timer the other day. One for counting down 24 hrs & the other for pit stops. I do however need a screaming meanie and some truck stops sell them, so perhaps we can stop in a truck stop while out riding.
Harry

Nick_Ninja
Tue Dec 31st, 2002, 03:12 PM
FYI,

I e-mailed Stephen Chalmers, the main dude with the 1088. This is what he wrote back:

JEFF:

I still have two spots remaining for the 2003 rally. . .

The route is given out the morning of the rally, not before, so I
cannot honor that request.

As for additional information about our event, I would suggest that
you go to UTAH1088.com or IRONBUTT.com and read some of
the stories about our event.

Thankd for your interest in our event, and have a great holiday.

Steve

I'm not signing up for this one this year ...... for that matter I'm not sure what's going on on this end as far as riding in the next year.

Dysco
Tue Dec 31st, 2002, 03:46 PM
Thanks for checking that out- holy crap!

Hey Harry- see you sat- I'm sticking the application in the mail tonight... hope you can too.

Mike

Harry Biker
Wed Jan 1st, 2003, 10:59 AM
:shock: Hoy Crap indeed!!!!!! *%#!!@

I'll see you Saturday & let you know where I'm @ $$$

Dysco
Fri Jan 3rd, 2003, 03:57 PM
Harry- how do you feel about running through a tank or two tomorrow- can the wing handle it? I'd rather stay out of the mountains since it wasn't that great up there today. North, south, east... whatever.

towneh
Fri Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:26 PM
mike,
i got an invite via pm to hook up with jeff in Morrison @TNT for a 1000 b-fast followed by some riding. originally, we (i.e. harry, myself, and you) were meeting at 1100 in Highlands Ranch (read: Diedrick's) and heading out for points to the south like Peublo (read:RoadGear). i don't think these plans have changed but then again there is jeff's invite. maybe could all meet at Bishop's Castle..... i went to a few truckstops and got his "Screaming Meanie" today so the visit to Pilot down in Peublo isn't necessary....
ride, ride, ride>>>> henry 8)

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 3rd, 2003, 11:34 PM
Mike,
I think I'll be ok for a decent putt, but 2 tanks is 400 miles @ least!! Assuming we were to go that long you'd better plan on a 6 hour ride.

I'd be up for pretty much anywhere, but I think heading South will be less windy. I'll check this site in the AM and if no changes I'll see you @ the planned mtg. spot @ 11am.

Henry,
Thanks for gettin the Meanie! You might as well have some fun now that you got the sticky rubber. I still don't want to push my shoulder thus will be going straight vs the twist. I must say that @ 1st I thought you were going for a 1K vs a 10am breakfast. :cry: Almost exciting ;)
Also, let me kow what your plans are too as I think I may take the dresser if you ride early, otherwise I'll be on the "wasp" so as to get a good feel for the cruise control. Sorry I did not get back to you tonight. I was busy watching The Ohio State Buckeye's win it all!!!!! & figured it'd be past your bed time afterwards.

Dysco
Sat Jan 4th, 2003, 12:06 AM
I have a breakfast thing tomorrow early and I'll make TNT for a hangout if I can but I will be in the Ranch at 11.

Harry- I pretty much just want to put some miles on my seat- it's aftermarket and I need to test it for a few hours. Time/distance is all relative- we'll see how it goes. I'm game to go wherever (south works for me, I'm going north on Sunday) but I prefer not taking I-25 the whole way. I'll dig around for my map- I'm a visual person.

towneh
Sat Jan 4th, 2003, 07:59 AM
ok, southbound on 83 (some nice open turns but visual variety...) to the springs, then jump onto 115. take 115 south to Florence, turn left at the first traffic light onto Hwy. 67, turn right onto Hwy 96 in Wetmore and at the next junction you will see signs for the BishopCastle. Turn left there onto Hwy. 165 and it's 12 miles.

mileage, visual variety, south-bound...... i'll drop by TNT for chat, then fuel up near the 'betta coffee' facility arriving abt 1100. i'll bring the 'meanies' (smoked or red; u pick). oh yea; batteries not included -- bring 9volts.

when i'm back to the yello subs, bedtime will revert to the 2130-2230. these days mrs hunt keeps me up late!!!!

chow :lol:
henry

Harry Biker
Sat Jan 4th, 2003, 08:22 AM
Ride On!! I'll be bringing your $$ & the timer :)

Dysco
Sat Jan 4th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Hey Harry- here's that link.

http://www.motosportpanniers.com

I was checking out their soft bags- Not as cool as the hard ones, but half the price. Probably not a bad idea for the GS. Their bags also fit the DR...

Nick_Ninja
Sun Jan 5th, 2003, 11:04 AM
Good to see Henry @ the TNT in Morrison even though it was just for a bit. Did you all make it to the 'Castle"? :?

towneh
Sun Jan 5th, 2003, 11:51 AM
hello jeff,

the 3 of us (harry, mike, and I) made it to bishop's castle. it keeps getting bigger and bigger. the framework for the planetarium is in place. there were only a couple of places where the shadows were keeping the ice... we didn't find RoadGear down in Peublo; Mapquest strikes again!!!! :lol:

later,
henry

Harry Biker
Sun Jan 5th, 2003, 03:13 PM
So Henry...did you try the Screaming Meanie yet!?? :twisted:

towneh
Sun Jan 5th, 2003, 07:11 PM
about 9pm last night, i set it for 15min and left it in the garage... i went into the house to do other stuff that needed to get done. it surprised me when it went off. lights came on all around the neighborhood. it took about an hour for the local cainine population to calm down. i hate to think what the 220 unit would do.

tough day for those browns,
henry

Harry Biker
Sun Jan 5th, 2003, 07:15 PM
:lol: I'm sure your biker friendly neighbors loved that!

I know my neighbors were not loving me until 54 seconds left in the Browns game when as per usual they choked!!!

The 220 would most certainly cause hearing damage. I think we got our $ worth though.

Dysco
Sun Jan 5th, 2003, 10:54 PM
Hey Harry- you may (or may not) want to check this out: http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/financial_promotions.jsp Something about all '02 BMWs at .9% interest and the first 5 months BMW makes your payment...

Harry Biker
Mon Jan 6th, 2003, 07:18 PM
Well, I did check it out!!
Might be a littel tough to find an '02 model that I want- 1150GSA-Ad. But, damn that's a nice deal. I wonder if they actually pay the 1st 5 months or just delay your payments.

Jeff states there's a new BMW dealership up North. I wouldn't mind checking that out too sometime.

When do you want to ride some dirt? Nothing single track just now, but near Devil's Head/Rampart Range we can ride for a good long time.

Dysco
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 05:58 AM
Good question- I'm all for playing in the dirt. Don't have too much experience doing it with an engine though...

Will the bridgestones I'm riding with now be ok? Haven't ridden in anything too loose on them but they seem OK. I'll have those superknobby Kendas in a couple weeks, but I'll be REALLY shy in the corners with the studs getting up there. I need about 5 sets of wheels...

When's good?

BTW- which 'up north' dealer are you talking about? There's a new (building) BMW/Ducati shop in FC dangerously close to Vern's (and his famous cinnamon rolls) in La Porte.

No word yet from the 1088 guys.

Harry Biker
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 06:47 AM
I think your stock tyres will do fine on a fire road.
I made the mistake riding my stockers in Rampart Range-a place famous for weekend "life flights", but we won't be doing that kind of riding.

I'm only talking about flat dirt roads. You should however wear a sturdy pair of boots just in case.

Since I can't exercise a whole lot right now....cinnamon rolls might be the ticket! Yes that's the dealership. Have you checked it out?

Dysco
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 07:03 AM
Fire roads= good start. Thought you might be trying to challenge the dirt newbie :o

Haven't checked the new shop out yet- They do have fork boots for the GS for cheap. Was planning on going there Saturday with some friends. Interested?

Harry Biker
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 07:21 AM
Yes.
Where/when are you meeting?

Dysco
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 07:30 AM
I'm still working on that- I'll let you know. mmmm, cinnamon rolls....

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 07:45 AM
Dyscofool wrote:

BTW- which 'up north' dealer are you talking about? There's a new (building) BMW/Ducati shop in FC dangerously close to Vern's (and his famous cinnamon rolls) in La Porte.

The FC BMW shop is off either the Crossroads exit or the Airport exit on the west side of the highway. Both exits will get you there. The cinnamon rolls at Johnsons Corner (on the right going north prior to the shop are one click away from the one's @ Vern's. Worth the stop. ;)

Anonymous
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 09:40 AM
about 9pm last night, i set it for 15min and left it in the garage... i went into the house to do other stuff that needed to get done. it surprised me when it went off. lights came on all around the neighborhood. it took about an hour for the local cainine population to calm down. i hate to think what the 220 unit would do.

tough day for those browns,
henry

Nothing like an alarm that can cause bowel movements in the elderly... :lol:

Dysco
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 09:43 AM
I smell a cinnamon roll showdown! :idea:

towneh
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 12:02 PM
hello ralph,

any word from Harris about the SuperTank for the Hawk? harry is looking locally for someone to spit his tank open for enlargement so that he can emulate the Exxon Valdez!! :lol:

like you i'm reluctant about making a one-day haul to SanD immediately followed by a 'day-that-will-rival-all-days' round of riding. i'm not exactly a senior citizen but i know that i wouldn't hold up very long under those tems...

later,
henry

Dysco
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 12:37 PM
Hey Henry: Where did you get those O rings? I'd like to try one out. Wanna come up to the northland with us on Saturday?

Anonymous
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 12:44 PM
hello ralph,

any word from Harris about the SuperTank for the Hawk? harry is looking locally for someone to spit his tank open for enlargement so that he can emulate the Exxon Valdez!! :lol:

like you i'm reluctant about making a one-day haul to SanD immediately followed by a 'day-that-will-rival-all-days' round of riding. i'm not exactly a senior citizen but i know that i wouldn't hold up very long under those tems...

later,
henry

Yeah I got a reply back yesterday finally... The guy's response was "I don't know anything and can't help you". So, piss on them I guess, I don't know what happened to the tanks they were making but apparently they're gone now. And since they were rare to begin with, the chances of me finding a used one are nil. I could also buy a CF tank for what they wanted for those SP-2 ones, which I'm not gonna do ($1200 is a bit steep to carry some extra gas).

If I knew enough about CF/glass work I could probably fab one myself, not sure if I can learn enough by May to do it though. It's prolly not that hard to do, I'd just hate to do it wrong and get 5 gallons of fresh petrol on my lap for no good reason. We'll see ... I need to really think about this a little more. I'm debating maybe fashioning a metal fuel tank of sorts under the seat (it would be protected by the subframe that way and leaks would go out the back, hopefully NOT onto the hot exhaust) and just tying into the fuel supply line, since that's just a vacuum driven valve or something. I don't think it's gravity-fed but I need to read the shop manual and find out. *sigh*

Dysco
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 01:01 PM
Ralph- have you checked out fuel cells? They don't have to be that big and can generally strap onto your tail in a pinch. You might also be able to get/make a cheapo strong tail rack and put a cell on that. It would be MUCH easier than making one for under your seat. I'm certain you can have someone make one locally if others are too big. Also under your seat you'd need to install another fuel pump- on the tail you can get the whole gravity thing going.

Anonymous
Tue Jan 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Ralph- have you checked out fuel cells? They don't have to be that big and can generally strap onto your tail in a pinch. You might also be able to get/make a cheapo strong tail rack and put a cell on that. It would be MUCH easier than making one for under your seat. I'm certain you can have someone make one locally if others are too big. Also under your seat you'd need to install another fuel pump- on the tail you can get the whole gravity thing going.

Considering that, fuel cells are also mucho $$. I guess I should clarify too, on my bike it's a one-piece seat so "under the seat" also means "under the tail" if I get the urge... :D Somehow I need to get at least a gallon and a half, if not two gallons of extra fuel though too.

A potentially unsafe, but semi-clever idea I had was to run a line from the bike's tank, into a tail mounted tank of some kind - so that filling the bike tank would wind up tricking down into the other one first. Then pull fuel from the tail-mounted one, thus creating a closed system without much mess on fillup. But that may be more trouble than it's worth. One thing I do NOT want to do is create more pressure in the feed line, since that can flood out the carbs. Alternatively I'm thinking, maybe have another tank or cell or whatever under the tail, but instead of blindly gravity feeding it put a petcock from the usual s'hawk tank on and let the vacuum pull it down. If it's truly a vacuum-valve operation, then a simple one-or-the-other air valve between the first tank and the cell in the back would switch the operation and whichever wasn't being used would close the flow, ya?

Dunno, just brainstorming. I already have my vacuum line for the petcock tee'd off from when I sync'd the carbs (that's a source of air), so that side of things is easy. Run some SS fuel line down the inside of the subframe under the tank and tee into the supply line, and then the only trick is keeping air out of the line. Wonder if I could close off the tank #2 line with another valve?

I'm not 100% sure how fuel cells work when tied in with the rest of your fuel supply, do they need to be messed with to start/stop the flow of fuel, or are they "live" the whole time and this just works?

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Harry- is this it? http://www.roadog.com/roadog.jpg

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Ralph- I've been researching fuel cells and aux gas tanks for a few months now. I've learned some interesting stuff but I won't have any practical knowledge until I install my own on the GS.

231 cubic inches is one gallon. That's a cube about 6"x6"x6.5"- not very big when you think about it.

Your unsafe, semi-clever idea isn't that practical. When you gassed up, your fuel would have to flow freely into the aux tank from the main tank. That's hard to do with fuel lines being the diameter they are. It takes most non-fuel pump cells an hour or more to fully drain 4 gallons into the main tank with normal fuel lines. You can get a bigger diameter fuel hose, but I'm not sure if it's meant to hold gas or not. I think this would also create trouble with venting considering that there will be expansion and gasses that want out that may create pressure on your gas line to the main tank, i.e. no fuel to the aux which goes to the carbs unless you make a vent hose. It would be easier than installing a new fuel cap.

Usually you keep a cell shut off until you're down to reserve when you're filling the main tank via gravity. The theory is that you don't want to overflow your main tank through its vent. The cell should have a vent hose too. I'm personally torn on how to connect mine. A commercially produced aux tank for my bike connects at the bottom of my plastic gas tank through a hole you drill in it. Holes in gas tanks make me nervous but with the fuel pump, you definately have to get the gas into the tank first.

Don't know if it's such a good plan to try to install a cell under the tail- there's not that much room, especially if you're putting luggage and stuff on the back, weighing it down. Are you looking for a permanent addition here? It may not be that easy. BUT I read about a guy who had a metal shop fab a cell for his goldwing out of aluminum. The key was welding baffles into it so the weight didn't shift around so quickly. His price was ~$250. You might be able to get someone to do that for you per your underseat specifications. Definately make sure that you can fit enough volume in there to make it worthwhile.

There's a cell for $50 at http://www.goracin.com/ in the clearance section. It's not pretty but it might give you an idea. Otherwise Summit Racing has a good selection of cells, fuel caps and stuff. http://store.summitracing.com/

My vote is still for a tacky box fuel cell on the passenger seat, mounted with quality straps or attached via a tail rack. Then you could just splice into your fuel line and install a valve. Then you could just go off of mileage to figure out when to switch. It's a hard call though since there's not so much room there.

Edited because I changed my mind about everything I had just posted...

towneh
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 04:13 AM
Hey Henry: Where did you get those O rings? I'd like to try one out. Wanna come up to the northland with us on Saturday? if you're talkin abt my cheap cruiz tool, i got them at Pep Boys! as for the Sat morning options for ridin', give me the time and place!!!
later,
henry

btw, that's some serious cantilever suspension components on the locomotive bike! ;)

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Well, my friends bailed so we could always meet at the good coffee place.
Sometime around 10?

Harry Biker
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 06:56 AM
I'll meet you @ 10:30 for an 11am departure. Diedrich's. Cool.

Speaking of cool....plan for it. Latest report is a high of 40.

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 07:10 AM
That's just cold enough to get unlimited test rides on the Beemers :idea:

That's the best evil plan I've come up with in days... :twisted:

Eat a light breakfast, the cinnamon rolls will flow like water... or something.

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Hey Navigator:

Vern's Place
4120 W County Rd 54 G LA PORTE, CO 80535-9359

BMW/Ducati
6002 Byrd Drive, Loveland, CO 80538 (888-504-6466- I'm not sure if this is the new address or not.)

Johnson's Corner
2842 S E Frontage Rd LOVELAND, CO 80537-8739

gary n
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 08:50 AM
I would like to hook up for the ride north with you all. Since I'm already far north (120th) I will probably find a wide spot on the shoulder and wait for you to come by.

I just came through Fort Collins Sunday night and noticed a new Honda shop on the east side of the freeway too.

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 09:23 AM
Gary- I'm sure the Navigator will post the plan here. Hey Henry- I just volunteered you! :D I'll get a tank bag soon enough...

The more, the merrier! Anyone else up for checking out shops and scoring free Beemer rides?

towneh
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Well, my friends bailed so we could always meet at the good coffee place.
Sometime around 10?

AND "I'll meet you @ 10:30 for an 11am departure. Diedrich's. Cool.
"

i don't need to navigate; i'll go where the coffee is (Deid @1030 Sat) and follow there after. i'll bring one of the rubber o-rings for sampling/fitting.

--grin--
henry

Dysco
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Sounds good Henry- I guess everything is within sniffing distance of 25. Shoudn't be too hard to manage. Hey Gary- want us to hop off 25 and meet you somewhere around 1120ish?

I'll bring a wrench to install that test O ring. I was also thinking about a short neoprene sleeve which would have enough bulk to roll of with huge glopves on... opinions?

gary n
Wed Jan 8th, 2003, 06:12 PM
I will find a wide spot on the shoulder and watch for you all. You don't need to pull over, I will catch up with you. If traffic is real bad and I can't make my way up to you, I will see you at Johnsons Corner for the cinnamon rolls.

Dysco
Fri Jan 10th, 2003, 09:08 AM
Still on for tomorrow- bring long undies. Gary- you sure you can keep up with the GS on that 'Busa? :D

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 10th, 2003, 11:09 AM
You'll have company. See you @ 10:30.

Dysco
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 11:07 AM
Harry- great news! I'm in the 1088 and they still have 2 spots left. Would you like me to reserve one for you? He asked me if I knew anyone.

Harry Biker
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 11:57 AM
Yes.

What exactly does that mean....you can reserve and delay my payment to them or what? I was planning on paying this week, but if I can delay it-that works for me.

So they have "2" spots left....ahem!

What our our departure dates again?? Are we taking off work 6/27 and 6/30?

On a side note......
I need you help locating that Summit fuel cell. Have you seena pic of it and or know the dimensions? I think I need to get the cell asap because if Dan @ Rky Mtn can't install it correctly then I'm back to needing a longer range steed.

towneh
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 12:03 PM
hello harry,

the following URL gives the list of fuel cells they distribute:

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=%2Fsection%2Easp%3Fd%3D18%26s%3 D104

maybe these would fit your needs...
SUM-290203 Aluminum alloy, 8 in. x 8 in. x 15 in., 3 gallon, foam filled, fuel cell ... $108.95
SUM-290204 Aluminum alloy, 12 in. x 10 in. x 8 in., 4 gallon, foam filled, fuel cell ... $115.95

later,
:D henry :)

Dysco
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 01:02 PM
Harry- I just got a response back from Steve about that- He said that he'd "hold a spot open for you". I think this means that they're not getting a ton of entries this time of year since I didn't give him your name and he didn't ask. I'd still send it in this week if I were you.

Fuel cells: I'm partial to the 5 gallon plastic one with the grooves for strapping it down. If you get a bracket across those 2 grab rails, it should strap down nicely.

AHEM! as well...

Dysco
Sun Jan 12th, 2003, 01:13 PM
This one is nice, too. You can get it powdercoated blue or red, too. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=23622&view=257#largerimage Hope that link works for you...

Note the sump- it's not flat. Just SUMPin' to think about... I kill me.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Mike, Can you forward me Steve's e-mail?

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 16th, 2003, 08:46 PM
Alrighty, ink jet down @
home so the check will go out in the AM from work.

Mike, when are we leaving? We should make the bar-b on the 27th right? I took the 27th and 30th off.
also, we need reservations for the 27th and 29th right?
Don't forget your poleroid.

Are you going to have a GPS?
We should discuss some strategies...soon.

Dysco
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Strategy meeting Saturday or Sunday evening (if we end up not riding)? Apparently no one here is going to use the last slot they have open. Do you have a Polaroid already? I have a friend with super-camera-discount powers.

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 06:57 AM
:lol: HA HA HA.
nope. I could use a discount. I'm all for a strategy planning session after a ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So...when can you ride? Can you get me to Foothills?

Dysco
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 07:15 AM
I can get you to Foothills if you don't mind feeling the bottom end of my suspension- no problem. :D

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Disco, you're getting a cell I see. COOL. I thought I could put off getting the larger tank as for this 1st year of playing w/ the big boys, I thought I'd be limited by my friends range's. If you're going 500 miles, I need the bigger tank sooner than later!!

That being said, I'll need to delay the pick up of the sled.
I'm not 100% clear if that's what I'll be doing yet. I'll think about it for an hour or so.

Just check this site in the AM, or I'll call you.
What's the latest you can be out before you're going w/ the 650 boys?

Anonymous
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Disco, you're getting a cell I see. COOL. I thought I could put off getting the larger tank as for this 1st year of playing w/ the big boys, I thought I'd be limited by my friends range's. If you're going 500 miles, I need the bigger tank sooner than later!!

That being said, I'll need to delay the pick up of the sled.
I'm not 100% clear if that's what I'll be doing yet. I'll think about it for an hour or so.

Just check this site in the AM, or I'll call you.
What's the latest you can be out before you're going w/ the 650 boys?

Harry if he can't, I will have most of my saturday open I think. Also if you're not up to ride and don't mind someone else behind the bars, I can ferry it for ya too if you can manage a cage...

Dysco
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Harry- the cell happens after I get GPS, CB, (better) windshield, and monster tail rack but before I get aluminum bags :o . I may or may not be able to get it before the ride. Plus, if you can manage 250/tank on your GS I can hang with that- we'll have a bunch of different stops anyway. Don't get/not get a bike just for the 1088. And if cells are only $90 then why not get one instead of a big tank?

As for Saturday, I can play until 2ish.

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 17th, 2003, 08:34 PM
Ralph, you the man!,(even though you flipped me off) :P

Here's what I'd like to do... my rack broke on the big boy :cry: can one of you meet me @ Rky Mtn HD as I'd drop off me scoot to get her fixed & then catch a ride to FootHills? Keep in mind I'm not certain the bike'll be ready for me to pick up, but it should be,(I opted to hold off on the larger tank until next year-when I start kickin arse & takin names in the endurance events)

Disco, GPS is huge!! Just read an interesting article on Garmin Street Pilot 3 and, well, I don't see how we could even compete without a set up like that. WOW factor!!! Course the price is also eye opening, but without it, would be like playing football with the other team on roids.

I'll also go with GPS, and then if needed a Russell Day Long before the larger tank,(I spooked myself re: leak potential and I found a 41 liter job that'll fit me GS) Also, I started thinking about what 500 mile range really means...... that's freakin far without gettin off the bike! Even riding from Denver to Green River approx 350 miles-which I could achieve with the Adventurer's tank is a long road. I can imagine doing that, but not much further.

So, I'll call Foothills @ 10am to check on the status & post shortly after that.

Harry Biker
Sat Jan 18th, 2003, 10:27 AM
Alright, I could use a ride for any bro up for that,(GS is ready) I can be @ Rky Mtn HD ready for a pick up by 11:30-11:40.

Mike, I'll try you on your phone 1st. I need to run to the bank real quick for some Dead Presidents.

Ralph, care to test ride "The Ultimate Driving Experience"?

Harry Biker
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:24 PM
Disco,
Can you pick me up a Poleroid camera from your friend for cheap and I'll pay you the diff. of the cabin?

I need it sooner than later as I need to take a pic of me arse on the GS for a Russell Day Long Saddle.

Dysco
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:34 PM
Good plan- I'll call him tonight. I don't know how long it'll take but it shouldn't be that bad.
About the saddle thing... I'm thinking about hitting up a local auto place to do mine. I think I might ba able to get the magical closed-cell foam seat for ~$150 here which gives me more control over the final product, too. I found a wholesale supplier for the foam in town so I know it can be done- shouldn't be too hard to find someone... that way they wouldn't need a bicture of my rear- they can see it live and in color :D

Harry Biker
Wed Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:34 PM
I had a seat lowered for my wife so she could ride the XX in Englewood and they did a nice job. It's on Broadway. Just south of Hampden on the west side,(max of 1/2 mile from hampden). Don't recall the name though

Dysco
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 12:20 AM
I am #10! Time to talk about hotel and stuff...

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 06:58 AM
I'm # 73 8)

We need a GPS bad!! Either that or we just go for max mileage!!!
Some of the bonii will only be given in latitude and longitude.

I've yet to read the rally packet info. Are they staying @ the Holiday Inn or where?

Dysco
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Yep- holiday inn. $55/night for 1-4 people flat rate, 24-7 bike security... cool. Still sick but getting better, Saturday is a maybe if I'm not feeling great yet, I've missed a ton of work.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 12:00 PM
I read it.
I also read where riders can't share things like GPS's!!

So we reserve Friday night. Are you still thinking of the IB motel on Sunday?

gary n
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 01:59 PM
I may be interested in riding over to SLC with you all if you want some company. I lived there from '85 to "91. There are a lot good roads over there that I would like to ride - I didn't have a bike when I was there before. I could do my exploring while you all are doing the 1088.

Harry Biker
Thu Jan 30th, 2003, 05:55 PM
Works for me Gary. We'll be leaving early Friday I think it's the 26th.

Got my poleroid today! Wish I could say...got my GPS today. So many farkles to buy, so little $$

Dysco
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 05:07 AM
Friday is the 27th. We're totally going to miss the BBQ :(

Harry Biker
Fri Jan 31st, 2003, 07:12 AM
You know what Disco? I'm totally ok w/ keeping them guessing about you & I. The way I see it, the little gathering is just an opportunity for the Big Dogs to size you up. Also, I'm not much for blowin smoke up someone's arse either like Eagan's!

Since we do not know the state nearly as well as other competitors that have done the base route before and since we are currently lacking in GPS's-I'm almost 100% convinced that we just need to take the longest route and hope it offers a large point option. Assuming you're in agreement with that, you'd better set you mind to running upwards of 1800 miles!!! :twisted:

Let me know if you're going to add a cell. I think there's gonna be some big dawg butt kickin to be had ;)

Harry Biker
Sat Feb 1st, 2003, 07:31 AM
Disco, ya got yer ears on??

Dysco
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 12:21 AM
We have a room- non-smoking, double for 3 days at $55/day. The guy said ya gotta pay for Saturday- maybe we can sub-let it :D or maybe Gary needs some space...

Harry Biker
Tue Feb 4th, 2003, 01:07 PM
hmmmmmmm. that seems very fishy to me!!!! Let's see. We get a Friday night lodging and could stay in it until say 11am. Only, we'll be out by 7am. We will not be back for the next 26 hours and we have to pay for that???????

I say F-ck him!!!!
I need to think more about that, and I'm aware we'd have security for the bikes Friday night, but we're getting ripped!

Harry Biker
Thu Feb 6th, 2003, 06:45 PM
:idea: Say Bro, seein as how it's only the two of us wanting to rally, no sense it tying up message board space. Let's switch this area to e-mail/not PM. I'll look for the status of our lodging situation in an e-mail from you ok?

Gary, we'll still leave Denver 6/27 if you're interested in heading to SLC with us.

Harry Biker
Thu Jun 26th, 2003, 07:24 AM
Fool-
Go kick some Iron butt ARSE!!!!!!

I'll buy you a steak w/ a top -5 finish!!

Dysco
Thu Jun 26th, 2003, 08:10 PM
I'll take it rare, please :D

The Hellas are sweet- brighter than my headlight. Packing tonight, leaving at 0300. I will show them bitches what a touring bike is... :lol: My goal: top 20 and the highest ranking "little" bike.

Dysco
Mon Jun 30th, 2003, 11:03 AM
Ummm, hold the steak. :D I came in at #36. I did win a moral victory by making the second checkpoint, which many of the veterans missed, after getting tricked by a lame bonus that had me running around a park full of people in full gear about 90 miles off of the main route. Basically, I had enough sense to blow off a bunch of bonus points and take the superslab at full-tilt to get ahead of the clock. After that I got what I could but didn't push too hard.

The numbaz:

101 paid entries
86(ish) starters
65 finishers

Top score: 21k+
Low score: 1,615
My score: 12,555k
My mileage: ~1375 adjusted in 25 hours

Older, wiser, and sorer-of-the-butt-

Dysco