PDA

View Full Version : ABATE, Not Just for Training

bornwildnfree
Tue Sep 11th, 2012, 10:43 AM
For the longest time, I really didn't think about my rights as a rider. I live in America, home of the free and brave right? Why would someone try and take my right to drive my chosen vehicle away from me? I'm pay my taxes, and should be able to drive what I please, where I please, when I please. The fact of the matter is, local and state law enforcement, whether justified or not, do not like sportbikes. Legislators, when they think of sportbike riders, think of squids and all the negative connotations that go with that. Our rights are under attack from every angle. In Colorado, they haven't been very successful, but other states have implemented laws that restrict my right to ride and I can see Colorado trying to follow suit. But what is one supposed to do? How do we get our voice heard?

Enter the folks from ABATE. They don't just provide an awesome training program, they are our legislative Advocates standing in front of the Colorado Government fighting for our right to ride. They have done an amazing job so far, and Terry has made a herculean effort to get sportbike riders involved but she can't do this alone. Last I heard, there were only 30 sportbike riders total in ABATE. We have a very small voice.

It is only $30/year to join ABATE. $2.50/month (they don't do monthly, but hey, the math was easy)...it's the cheapest thing I've bought for my bike. We as sportbike riders need to stand up and be heard. For more information on why you should join ABATE, please visit http://www.abateofcolo.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=59.

brennahm
Tue Sep 11th, 2012, 10:45 AM
It's not just squids. It's every one on this site who has sped through the canyons or crossed a double yellow.

Also...*suit

bornwildnfree
Wed Sep 12th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Yep, we feed our own stereotype but thankfully Terry and her crew have been working to keep our right to ride safe and I think it's time we gave a little back.